Update on the movie Cobra Commander

Tazzzman

My guess, there are not a enough die hard GIJoe fans out there for the studio to really care what we think. Sure there were people who liked GIJoe as a kid who might go see a movie with the GIJoe name on it for nasalgia purposes, but people like us who know every little detail about GIJoe, i'm guessing are far less then even Transformers had, so our opinions probably don't rate to much.

exactamundo! this is a movie meant to appeal to a broad audience (which is probably hoped to be significantly comprised of children who will carry toy sales like most movie toy lines). as such, it is going to have a lighter, comedic side (much like Transformers), and will probably be more of an adventure movie not an action movie (much like Stephen Sommers Mummy films). as such, it will contain typical movie contrivances and formulas so that the broad movie going audience finds it easy to watch and enjoy. comedic sidekicks and the emotional relationships between the characters that we have all heard so far fit that bill perfectly. G.I. Joe is not Batman, there is nothing dark or brooding about it, and it isn't Die Hard or Rambo either with violent battles attempting to portray plausible real world threats. G.I. Joe is a movie based on a childs toy whose popularity was carried strongly by a cartoon, so a cartoonish movie should be expected. at some point, we all need to step out of our adult boots when we analyze G.I. Joe and look at it honestly for what it is, a childs toy. if you can't do that, it is possible you have outgrown your toys.

I'd say it's just di Bonaventura. He made it clear early on during the development and preproduction of the TF movie that he really doesn't care what fans think. His behavior and choices that he has pushed for even give me the feeling that he believes if the fans dislike it, it will probably have more "mass market" appeal which is all he cares for.

This is why I just have no qualms not watching any of these. I have nothing against mass market appeal -- it's necessary, and anyone with any sense knows that. It's how GI Joe went from its previous incarnation to the ARAH we all grew up with. But when the production and heads pretty much tell you that your priorities just don't count at all, because they "know you're a fanboy" who's gonna watch anything they put the name on because "it's canon", I just don't feel the need to hand over my money for such projects.

The "well let's wait and see" approach never works, because their perception is that the fan doesn't matter anyway. I don't think they even bothered to make any of the overtures to the fan community that Spielberg made with that video. We seem to get fanwank like the 25th line solely because the design team are guys like us who were devoted enough to get into that field.

And let me be clear, I think Joseph Gordon-Levitt has been an amazing and talented actor in everything I've seen him in. I'm sure he's not a kid anymore, but he is.. NOT YET A MAAAAAAN..