comic vs cartoon

mynameisash

for me, its the cartoon...for you older guys it must be the comic.

before I could even read, GI Joe was what lifted my imagination. but when i would occassionally buy a comic, it was wow, desensitizing my imagination with all of the killing it begot. Of course the ultimate experience was GI Joe the movie which tied everything together, which was an abomination to all comic readers. When it came down to learning about the comic, i always wondered why duke was dressed like general hawk (brown jacket). and then there was this guy with a circle in front of his mouth. the circle had a glare? what the hell is going on?

so you see, the cartoon was the backbone to my imagination and it ended at a great time, unlike the comic which ended kinda abruptly with less readers in the end than in the beginning. Someone bring on the season 2 part 2!!!!

I was always a cartoon guy. On the other hand, I find myself preferring the toy (and I presume comic) version of the color scheme for upcoming Wild Bill -- it just looks more like what a military person might wear compared to the rather loud colors he wore in the cartoon.

I actually avoided the series in all its forms entirely since "military" has never been any real interest of mine, but I got sucked into watching a couple eps, especially after Transformers hit and I had nothing else to watch during the interim, then began looking back and liking the show and the mythos, and then searching for reruns.

Both for me. I prefered the stories in the comics but I liked the art of the cartoon The comic always seemed like the characters were not accurate to the figures. Things were left off, coloring was off, alot of of characters looked too much alike. In the cartoon everyone looked different. Plus the cartoon gave me voices to match with the comics.

Im not sure where id vote here, I think I had the COMIC first, and when ever i got the newest issue i would actually go to my room and read the whole run everytime i started at #16 and i think i stopped at about 90,

i always loved the cartoon, and do remember watching it, my parens actually bought me a few V.H.S. tapes, all i remeber was it was something about bugs on the tape-----?????havent looked on my dvds for it yet , i did love the voices and the acurate uniforms and looks just not the duke/scarlet romance she belongs to snake eyes ----TWO TIMEING TRAMP TRYING TO GET SOME MORE RANK THERE SWEETHEART BY WORK OLE FIRST SGT? LOL!!!!

the MOVIE WAS THE ALMOST THE WORST THING THE EVER HAPPENED TO G.I. JOE ---------I HATED IT!!!!!!!!! I ACTAULLY WATCHED IT THIS WEEK!!!! AND IF YOU TOOK OUT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH COBRA LA, IT WOULD ROCK!!!!!!!!!

COBRA LA RUINED THE MOVIE -----J.M.O.---I KNOW ILL GET BASHED FOR THAT BY SOME OF YOU

but if i had to choose only one thng it would be the comic ---------

DOC

I'd say cartoon, because I was exposed to it first. I didn't get any of the comics (#77 & #78) until 1988. Shortly after I was getting out of Joe. I started reading the Marvel series again in 2000, I prefer the comic now.

i own all of the gi joe dvd's and after watching them and by the grace of GOD a member on this board KingKhan sent me the comics dvd and after i reread all of them i have to lean more towards the comics.the storys were alot more basic in the early issue's and actually told a story without the child like feel to them.members actually died in the comics.i'm not pro death,but come on noone died in gi joe cartoons,flagg took 4 shots to the back in the late teens of the series and doc took full rounds from a 50 cal in the face.

the comics rule.

God bless,

JC #US1#

I ignore the whole Cobra-la thing, but I'd say the cartoon was more important to me (growing up I mean) as to how the characters spoke, and their general characteristics. The comic fleshes them out in a more realistic way for me, but when little differences show up (like, for example, the way Gung Ho speaks), 99% of the time I would defer to the cartoon.

for me, its a mix between the cartoons, filecards, and my own imagination that I used to fill in the holes.

even though the comics are a laugh now.. when I was younger they weren't so cheesy.. and they helped instill my vision of the Joe characters

I never read the comic.. still haven't.. its mighty hard to find all the issues.. and I don't start reading a series until I have them all...

I'd like that cd with all of the comics on it too @lol@

for me, its a mix between the cartoons, filecards, and my own imagination that I used to fill in the holes.

even though the comics are a laugh now.. when I was younger they weren't so cheesy.. and they helped instill my vision of the Joe characters

I never read the comic.. still haven't.. its mighty hard to find all the issues.. and I don't start reading a series until I have them all...

I'd like that cd with all of the comics on it too @lol@

i thought i gave you that dvd with the all the joes comics on it? let me know if you still want it.

Im not sure where id vote here, I think I had the COMIC first, and when ever i got the newest issue i would actually go to my room and read the whole run everytime i started at #16 and i think i stopped at about 90,

i always loved the cartoon, and do remember watching it, my parens actually bought me a few V.H.S. tapes, all i remeber was it was something about bugs on the tape-----?????havent looked on my dvds for it yet , i did love the voices and the acurate uniforms and looks just not the duke/scarlet romance she belongs to snake eyes ----TWO TIMEING TRAMP TRYING TO GET SOME MORE RANK THERE SWEETHEART BY WORK OLE FIRST SGT? LOL!!!!

the MOVIE WAS THE ALMOST THE WORST THING THE EVER HAPPENED TO G.I. JOE ---------I HATED IT!!!!!!!!! I ACTAULLY WATCHED IT THIS WEEK!!!! AND IF YOU TOOK OUT EVERYTHING TO DO WITH COBRA LA, IT WOULD ROCK!!!!!!!!!

COBRA LA RUINED THE MOVIE -----J.M.O.---I KNOW ILL GET BASHED FOR THAT BY SOME OF YOU

but if i had to choose only one thng it would be the comic ---------

DOC

The episode about bugs you are thinking of was called "Cobra's Creatures" and it is where I got the image for my avatar and my signature. Basically Cobra had a machine that allowed them to mind control animals and use them to take over cities. Best part of the episode is when Timber and Freedom pretend to have Snake-Eyes and Spirit as prisoners and some idiot Cobra Trooper tells them to bring them to the dungeon.

I never read the comics until about 10 years ago. I grew up on the cartoon and I still love it. However, the cartoon can't match the comic for stories, depth of character, continuity, and action!

I'm a comic man all the way, though there are many things from the cartoon that I'll always love.

for me it was the toys and th comics...the show not to much....I have every single issue of gi joe, and went back a few years ago and rebought better condition issues for the ones that I had that were messed up. Like #21 the silent issue.

i'm definitely with the comics, i've only got the original comics until 50 or 60, but have read all of the marvel run up to 100 something i think. too bad i left the comics at my parent's basement, i was too lazy to change the backing boards to the white acid free type, so the comic pages are probably yellowed, doH!!

i grew up with the cartoon and didnt even realize there was a comic until the series was on issue 45-50. i DO love me some comic action but the nostalgia lies in the cartoon for me. this doesnt mean i wont snap up nearly all the comic packs(the ones that dont have SE AND SS in them)

it confused me like posters have said when they were younger and in the comic was some guy named hawk who looked like duke haha

now for ME i LOVED the movie cause it came out right when i was ramping up on my joe buying. i LOVED cobra la...that is right...i said it!!!! i thought it was a crazy twist. still mad that my the cobra la 3 pack was sold in a garage sale along with most of my other joes.i am also mad that there were other cobra la toys not made

Same here...the cartoon was my basis as far as voices and personalities for the major characters...but when playing with them I often took things from file cards...and since I didn't read the comics when I was a kid, I used my own imagination to fill in the holes....like some orgins or personalities that weren't on the cartoon.