Custom 25th CoverGirl (A Thank You Thread)

Straight Edge

Two-fold thread here. First is me showing off pics of my custom Joes. Second is a public thank you to KamenDreda for his work on one of the said customs.

The latter intention fulfilled, I'd like to show off the man's work, based largely on his own custom posted here a few months back. My core Joe team was lacking one very important member... the prettiest lil' Tank Commander GIJoe's ever seen. I've a personal preference for Courtney Krieger as a blonde, based on her initial cartoon appearance and Bench Press Studio's 1999 comic proposal. Makes for a nice contrast with Scarlett and Lady Jaye.

Anyways, big thanks again to KamenDreda for this amazing figure:

covergirl01.JPG

covergirl03.JPG

Sadly, my own skills and tools pale in comparison, but I did manage a couple of simple repaints. Below is Quarrel, from the UK Action Force. Most know her well. I took a few liberties with the colors, to balance out the colors. I also removed her shoulder-slung grenade, and replaced it with a hand-held one.

quarrel02.JPG

quarrel03.JPG

Lastly, this is my take on Cobra Mortal, from Argentina. Clad in what's probably the worst distribution of wacky colors, Mortal also varies greatly between his card art and the actual figure. The figure itself features one black boot, and one red, so I opted for two black boots, choosing realism and logic over slavish reproduction. Also, his web gear is all brown, per the card art, save for the belt and pouches, which originated from the card art. One final note, I am still deciding about the red dot on his forehead, since I already changed the black "devil horns" from the card art, making the bacl color part of the balaclava design instead. Again, trying to emphasize realism without completely changing the character.

mortal01.JPG

mortal03.JPG

What do you think, sirs?

Thanks for the kind words, guys!

I hate and loathe the shinny happy Mortal, just seems silly, but you did a good job on replicating what Hasbro or whoever did.. good job!

Definitely the weirdest concept of any international GIJoe figure, but that was the challenge. I have a few more in the planning stage, like Gaucho (Gung-Ho with a red (yes red!) vest), Ninja-Ku, and Cobra De Aco. Just acquiring the parts and paints (trying to get a GH with correct upper arms is more difficult than I ever expected!)

I'm kind of a sucker for quirky.

Very nice customs!

I have no idea why you needed me to do that CoverGirl for you! Your customs are GREAT! You don't need me! But i am glad you like it! Thanks for the praise!

I have no idea why you needed me to do that CoverGirl for you! Your customs are GREAT! You don't need me! But i am glad you like it! Thanks for the praise!

Repainting is no problem. I've been doing repaints with vintage Joes since the mid 90s, including one of the first "Original 13" updated team sets in 1999 (it became something of a trend in 2000). But when you compare what you created for me with *anything* i've repainted over the years... there's jst no comparison.

Cover Girl looks like a mass-production, Hasbro figure. Thank you, again and again, for making my 25th Joe team whole!

If you ever have ideas for a 25th Dodger, drop me a line ;)