pre-legends

wreckshop

just wondering what you guys did with those pre marvel legend figures? do you still have it up in display? bury it somewhere? in a box? threw it out?

just wondering cause i still have all of mine up on display, but im starting to think im wasting space. does a nybody on this forum still care for these?

I let the kids in my family play with the 5" stuff when they come over... so they know the MLs are off limits. All those action features usually get more attention anyway (the ones that still/ever worked, that is?)

Same here. I still like them so I kept them and gave then to my son. The brighter colors, smaller size and action features really work well for him.

I've been collecting marvel action figures since 1991 and have continued until now! I still own all my 5" stuff including vehicles, playsets and about 500 figures. I just got a chance to view most of them and they've held up well, in their storage boxes, since I phased them out a few years ago. Unfortunately, they are obsolete in every aspect except one. I like the fact that they don't have a zillion points of articulation, their bodies are smoother around the hips and shoulders giving them a more realistic look. The face sculpts are less then to be desired though. Overall they are still a part of the collection.

I just wish companies would pick one scale and stick with it for more then 10 years at a time.

Actually, rather than buying the 5" figures when they came out and moving up to Marvel Legends, I went the opposite route. After I eBayed most of the Marvel Legends I wanted, I moved on to the 5" figures. It gave me something to collect between ML releases, and they usually sell pretty cheap.

I get a kick out of the little 5" guys for a few reasons. First, many terrific characters still exist only in pre-Legends 5" form (i.e., Forge, Chameleon, Titanium Man, Wolfsbane, blue-costumed Kitty Pryde, classic Beetle, etc.).

Also, a lot of them have entertaining or enjoyably kooky action features (Morbius with oozing "blood," Cable with "tear away flesh," Mandarin with light-up hands, etc.).

Moreover, the sculpts got quite good by the last 1990s and early 2000s and are worthy of display for their artistic merit. Some examples are Spider-Carnage, Venom: The Madness, and the boxed sets like the X-Men one pictured above. There's also a really cool Storm in her mohawk-and-leather look that was released only in Canada.

If you're pressed for space, I would display the ones you really like or that hold any special meaning to you ("My first Mr. Sinister!"). If you're not packing away the others and intend to sell them, don't expect to make much on eBay, whether individually or as a lot.

in some ways i honestly like those older figures better than i lik eth legends. then dont seem to fragile becuase they arent as possable. i still avidly collect them, but unfortunatly i dont have room to display them right now so they sit locked in a trunk. if anybody wants to ditch their old figures let me know. shrmntnk62@yahoo.com, or myspace.com/shrmntnk62.

Actually, rather than buying the 5" figures when they came out and moving up to Marvel Legends, I went the opposite route. After I eBayed most of the Marvel Legends I wanted, I moved on to the 5" figures. It gave me something to collect between ML releases, and they usually sell pretty cheap.

I get a kick out of the little 5" guys for a few reasons. First, many terrific characters still exist only in pre-Legends 5" form (i.e., Forge, Chameleon, Titanium Man, Wolfsbane, blue-costumed Kitty Pryde, classic Beetle, etc.).

Also, a lot of them have entertaining or enjoyably kooky action features (Morbius with oozing "blood," Cable with "tear away flesh," Mandarin with light-up hands, etc.).

Moreover, the sculpts got quite good by the last 1990s and early 2000s and are worthy of display for their artistic merit. Some examples are Spider-Carnage, Venom: The Madness, and the boxed sets like the X-Men one pictured above. There's also a really cool Storm in her mohawk-and-leather look that was released only in Canada.

If you're pressed for space, I would display the ones you really like or that hold any special meaning to you ("My first Mr. Sinister!"). If you're not packing away the others and intend to sell them, don't expect to make much on eBay, whether individually or as a lot.

I know it's sad but I'm not trying to scalp. They are just stored away! so it's like i don't even have them you know? I'm never gonna display them they are just way too many figures! I even had to open up a few because they did not fit in the box I was storing them in. I've just been avoiding it because I have attachment issues ha ha, but one thing for sure I am keeping Morph. He is by far my all time favorite X-Men figure and I know he'll never be a Marvel Legend.

All mine are stuffed into the old toy boxes with just about anything else from that time (Terminator toys, an exo-squad mech, ED-209, some C.O.P.S. guys....the list goes on). I still pull them out from time to time. I never felt the need to get rid of them; not sure why. Perhaps I want my future kids to play with them? I dunno if they'll be as fun as the stuff I've got now. I've got alot of stuff even now that I wouldn't mind my kids playing with down the line.

I suppose the older guys are just nostolgic. That, and I wouldn't get much cash for those beat up old guys anyhow! I used the heck out of everything I got. On top of that, half the stuff I got was from garage sales so they were pre-beat up! If I do get rid of anything, I think the only stuff I would keep would be vehicles, since they were like GOLD to me back then. My parent's didn't buy the expensive stuff back then so I used what I had for everything. Castle Greyskull was a major place. Most of the vehicles/playsets that I had were also from garage sales (bought the ghostbuster house for 50 cents!) So that stuff will stick around.

I really liked the original figures. Those early sculpts fit really well with my super powers collection. I keep alot of them up on display in my toy room, they dont take up that much space and they stand really well, I hardly ever had a suicide off the top shelf from those guys. I mean they arent legends but really, for the time they were very cool. Plus we have yet to see an original Xmen set or Alpha Flight in the legends sculpts.

Oh man! It's so crazy I'm reading this post. About two nights ago I felt an overwhelming surge of nostalgia for the old Marvel toys of the 90's.

I got rid of all of my pre-Legends stuff about two years ago, pretty much GAVE it away on ebay. With Marvel Legends around I figured, 'What's the point?'.

Anyways, I'm now searchin' like crazy for not the figures I once had from that period, but the ones I didn't...they're also the only ones that actually fetch money on ebay. Nova(Richard Ryder version), Adam Warlock (from the Surfer series), Drax the Destroyer, Spider-Carnage, the Avengers line with Thor, Scarlet Witch, Loki, and Heroes Reborn Iron Man(I've seen him go for sic money).

Marvel's Most Wanted series (Blink!), 1st Appearance line (Spider-Girl!), Alpha Flight(great packaging), The Vault series with Ultron, Typhoid Mary, Stegron! Hulk series Absorbing Man, Wendigo, the Maestro with all the fallen hero pieces, the list goes on and on and on.

Does anybody have a bunch of pics of these guys you could share, some nice closeups would be great.

Or if you wanna sell or trade 'em, I'm yer guy! :)