getting tired of the same bodysyle for Mattel's figures?

CLAM

okay.. I collected all the figures I wanted from DCSH and I plan on getting the vast majority of the DCU line..

but I have a concern, namely the same body style over and over.

All these 4H figures have the same body pretty much.. they are all the same size, and the same body style.

its not a good one either:

the shoulders and chest are too broad, the thighs have too much muscle at the bottom near the knee..

These figures just do not have very natural anatomy. They look pretty cheesy

and all the figures seem to be using the same body... they need to make changes so that the figures progress as the line does.

look at Nightwing and Robin coming up.. they are pretty aweful in terms of body sculpt. Those bodies don't fit the characters at all.

what do you guys think, am I off my rocker on this one?

No, I agree. In general I really like what they're doing with this line, but I'm gonna be a whiner and throw out some gripes anyway. The reused bodies is the first thing I noticed when they released the pics of DCU. I think they really need to change it up a bit. Partly I just feel a little cheated they that we're getting just "repaints" but also that when you stand them all together they all look the "same." That's one thing I've always liked about MLs. Every figure felt different, and even when parts are reused, they work well and make sense.

What's also really annoying are the loose joints. I feel like I can't do anything interesting with them other than stand them upright or else they'll topple over. I think they need to adopt the clicky joints as soon as possible.

Doesn't bother me, really. And I think the body they're using works pretty well as a template.

I was looking at my ORION the other day, and I chuckled when I realized he has the same legs as my BATMAN. Only I didn't notice at first, because the colors and accessories (cape, web belts, flying-New Genesis-scooter-thingie, etc) disguise the obvious.

From a cost perspective, it makes sense. The upcoming Hal Jordan GL has the same body, too (from the pics), but that's not going to stop me from grabbing him!

TOY-BIZ used the ML 10 Black Panther body a lot, and it never bothered me, either. My SENTRY looks just fine to me. So does my CAPTAIN BRITAIN...and my WONDERMAN...

I'd rather MATTEL save money and use the template when it makes sense to do so, and spend money to make drastically different new molds (like DEMON, DARKSEID, CLAYFACE, etc...) when needed.

#US1#

(BTW...they've also re-used the original MR. FREEZE for the green LUTHOR figure, and the TWO-FACE is a re-issue of the CLARK KENT figure from 2005...)

As someone who's never collected Marvel Legends because I felt they tried too hard to make them realistic and ended up making them look odd, I think the DC figures are excellent. They look like plastic interpretations of the comics. I don't want a Superman figure that resembles a real man in a costume. I want a Superman figure that's ridiculously muscular and looks like he was modeled after the comics I used to read.

I could go on and on about what I don't like about Marvel Legends, but I'll just say that if DCU starts looking like Marvel Legends I'll stop collecting DCU immediately.

I think the re-use of body sculpts is just a cost issue fact. They are gonna do it. I am happy with the look of the line and also appreciate the consistency. I really like the four horsemens figures anyway I think they are great.

If they can continue with the character variety they have shown through the first 3 waves and keep the line going with this kind of quality I say by all means re-use bodies.

Off topic a little but I really like what they are doing with thier paint applications too!

I'm happy with them the way they are. Using the same bodystyle as a template helps insure that there aren't massive scale problems. DCUC is awesome!

I wholeheartedly agree!

There is hardly any reason to complain about the recycling. Most of the characters we have gotten so far out of the recycled parts are drawn so similarly in the comics that this is not an issue. Save the completely new molds for guys that actually need it.

I think it would be pretty costly & unwise to sink alot of $$ into a line that's only in it's 1st yr, to make 10 different male body sculpts for every concievable male body type. They are playing it safe right now & reusing certain body parts for characters that share the same body type in the comics. If the line's a huge hit in 08, I'm sure they'll invest $ in making a few more different male body sculpts. In the DCU , there are many heroes/villians that fall in the 6'1-6'2,6'3 220lbs-225lbs-230lbs size & those can use the same body sculpt.

Now a character such as Martian Manhunter who's 6'7 & 300lbs is gonna require a brand new sculpt cuz the current standard Superman/Batman sculpt won't work on him.

In this JL pic of the current lineup, all the males are pretty much built the same, you really can't say that so&so looks thinner or huger than so&so.

Justice-league.jpg

BWJustice-league.jpg

Supes is 6'3 235lbs

Bats is 6'2 225lbs

Aquaman 6'2 325lbs

Captain Marvel 6'3 250lbs

Orion 6'4 425lbs

Are you gonna give them all a different body sculpt due to a 1-2 inch hgt difference? Orion & Aquaman weigh more due to their muscle density. One's a God & the other due to his Atlantean physiology so he can withstand the pressures of the deep.

Even Hal, who's 6'2 200lbs, can share the same body sculpt as those mentioned above & fit right in.

Someone like Flash (Wally)who's 6' 190lbs, will need a slimmer looking sculpt.

Most of the characters are drawn in the comics with the same body proportions anyway--Marvel tends to have a lot more characters with a greater variety of body shapes and sizes than DC does.

man, that's pretty much EXACTLY what I was gonna say!!

Doesn't bother me, really. And I think the body they're using works pretty well as a template.

I was looking at my ORION the other day, and I chuckled when I realized he has the same legs as my BATMAN. Only I didn't notice at first, because the colors and accessories (cape, web belts, flying-New Genesis-scooter-thingie, etc) disguise the obvious.

From a cost perspective, it makes sense. The upcoming Hal Jordan GL has the same body, too (from the pics), but that's not going to stop me from grabbing him!

TOY-BIZ used the ML 10 Black Panther body a lot, and it never bothered me, either. My SENTRY looks just fine to me. So does my CAPTAIN BRITAIN...and my WONDERMAN...

I'd rather MATTEL save money and use the template when it makes sense to do so, and spend money to make drastically different new molds (like DEMON, DARKSEID, CLAYFACE, etc...) when needed.

#US1#

(BTW...they've also re-used the original MR. FREEZE for the green LUTHOR figure, and the TWO-FACE is a re-issue of the CLARK KENT figure from 2005...)

Actually Clark Kent reused the 2-face body even though he came out before in 2006. Check the split down his tie, and not one figure from waves 2 or3 reuses the wave 1 body mold. Hal reuses the slimmer Black Manta body from wave 2 as does Nightwing.

ok.. but what about the fact that the DCSH/DCU sculpt isn't very good to begin with??

the musculature is way off.

Now that is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

ML bodies look like $h!+. The DCUC bodies look like a Superhero,and that is indeed what they are supposed to be. If you don't like them don't buy them. It's hard to even tell that OR,BM,and RT share a body onles you examine them upclose.

ok.. but what about the fact that the DCSH/DCU sculpt isn't very good to begin with??

the musculature is way off.

Now that is the stupidist thing I have ever heard.

ML bodies look like $h!+. The DCUC bodies look like a Superhero,and that is indeed what they are supposed to be. If you don't like them don't buy them. It's hard to even tell that OR,BM,and RT share a body onles you examine them upclose.

I prefer the DCSH bodies over the ML ones since the ML ones tend to be inconsistent in terms of scale, especially with some of the newer ML figures. In referring to scale, I don't mean a height of what the characters should be according to the comics, but rather the anatomy scale of one figure to another. For instance, one character would have a very small head compare to the other or one has a big bulky body, but when compared to someone like Face off Punisher, it looks too skinny. What I mean is that some characters are made so differently as if they belong in another line. I just find it an eye sore that some characters have average-looking heads, but others have very tiny heads.

With the exception of scarecrow and maybe Batgirl, the mass of the bodies are consistent in DCSH.

:huh: clam34 states:"the musculature is way off."

WTF is off about the musculature of these sculpts!

These are perfect!

namely, its how the torsos are so wide and flat.

look at the bulges (which are too large) coming from the lower thighs, its extremely muscled and defined. They make the figures look more like competition body builders than naturally atheletic and strong. Competeition body builders have anatomy that is unnatural because of overtraining certain aeeas that nobody else will ever have.

the torosos by comparison, lack definition. bodies don't look that way.

look at the bulges (which are too large) coming from the lower thighs, its extremely muscled and defined. They make the figures look more like competition body builders than naturally atheletic and strong. Competeition body builders have anatomy that is unnatural because of overtraining certain aeeas that nobody else will ever have.

I can see what you mean about the quad muscles being pretty bulgy. But that's all I can see that is somewhat out of proportion. But the 4HM might be going for the bodybuilder look & I've seen some bodybuilders with huge quads! Tom Platz had ginormous quads!

Also, Bats is more than just "naturally" athletic & strong. He has pushed his mind & body to the limits of human perfection. At 6'2 225lbs, he is built like a brick house!

Through intense training, specialized diet, and biopathic feedback treatments, The Batman represents the pinnacle of human physical prowess. His physical attributes exceed that of any Olympic level athlete that has ever competed. His strength, speed, stamina, agility, reflexes and coordination are at peak human perfection. Batman began his physical and mental conditioning when he was 11 and then intense physical training and weight lifting at age 12. He has mastered full body control by the time he was 18. Wayne abstains entirely from drinking alcohol, though he presents Bruce Wayne, his alter ego, as a borderline alcoholic (he creates this illusion by drinking ginger ale and pretending it is champagne). Batman's refusal to drink is directly linked to keeping his body in its absolute best physical condition.

Few superhero asides from Orion ( a New God) Superman (he gets all his power from our Yellow sun, since he's a living solar battery), are just "naturally" athletic & strong. They gotta work at it & train their bodies like Olympic level weight lifters & triatheletes & martial artists on a daily basis. Only way they can survive against the likes of roid monsters like Bane or heavy hitters like Grundy or altered metahumans such as Deathstroke!

The 4HM sculpt their bodies the way "they" envision the heroes/villians to be built. Be patient, it's only the 1st yr of a new line, you can't expect them to spend a ton of $$ making 10-15 different male body sized sculpts until they see if this line is gonna sink or swim.

If this line is the success I know it's gonna be, I bet we'll start seeing more different body sculpts for their male characters for 09 & beyond.

Martian Manhunter at 6'7 300lbs in the comics, will definately rate a brand new sculpt that's a bit bigger/buffer than what they're using for BA Bats/Orion & Reddy.

They have done different body sculpts for Bizarro, Etrigan, Darkseid & Clayface. Plus slimmer ones for Black Manta & Sinestro, plus a smaller scale sculpt for Robin. Not to mention Grodd & Grundy.

no, they look like comic book characters, which is why they are flying off the shelves, fans have missed real DC characters and have waited since Super Powers and not to make this a ML/DCUC flame, what is so realistic looking about MLs, especially with all those unneeded cuts in the sculpt and what is with those long flat feet, the big reason I stopped collecting MLs, sorry I just don't see what you are upset about

Most of the characters are drawn in the comics with the same body proportions anyway--Marvel tends to have a lot more characters with a greater variety of body shapes and sizes than DC does.

Words out of mouth! All the dc heroes and badies are "perfect" while all the marvel guys are slightly more human