The fate of dcd

synch

What do you guys think now that wave 1 is out?.. is DCD screwed?.. Will people just keep on waiting for the figures to come out in DCCU? I think they can stick it out for a little while yet as long as they stick to things that are not currently being or have plans for being done in DCCU or alt reality lines for example like the current justice line up. Other wise that line is ****ed!

I think DCD will be more like it originally was. Making figures of characters that don't have a chance of being made in a mass retail line. More obscure characters, more females and more villains.

Plus DCD will still have their lines based off of different artists like Alex Ross.

DC Direct and Mattel both make toys based off of DC characters, but they have wildly varying goals in doing so. Mattel seeks to deliver Mainstream characters with some lesser known supporting characters to the general public - both in effort to build the brand of DC toys made by Mattel and to heighten awareness of DC characters to the general public. This coincides nicely with Warner Bros increased interest in making DC movies.

DC Direct makes story-based, highly detailed figures for a collector market. Many obscure and story specific characters are made in this line, often based on a particular artist's rendition. DCD is seeking to capitalize on the existing comic book reader market and popular stories. DC Direct also makes prop replicas, statues, busts, and other higher-priced items besides figures.

DC Direct isn't in any danger and really could only benefit from an increased interest in DC properties from the general public. The portion of the market that DCD and Mattel compete in... well just as many of us will buy from both lines as well drop one in favor of the other.

Well that's my opinion on things anyway.

They screwed themselves.

All Artist Specific, All SuperWonderBat, All the Time.

and when they DID throw us a bone, they had a habit of giving us what we wanted in such a piss-poor fashion that we didn't want it anymore.

all the while ignoring the cries of the fans.

they deserve nothing less.

eh, DCD is fine with me. they put out a lot more stuff and do a lot more obscure characters that in all honesty would never be put into a mass market line. i see no reason why people wouldn't want both companies to continue and to prosper, more figures for everybody that way

Was never really impressed with DCD stuff anyway! But would hope that they keep making them!

I think DCD would still continue offering artisit specific figures. The Alex Ross, and McG artist specific lines were a big success for DCD. Some of the story specific lines were cool like the Kubert brother's Superman and Batman. And the new Wonder Woman we got in Dec2007. I hope that now DCD has some competition we will see better QC, and more improvements. Same goes for Mattel.

DC Direct and Mattel both make toys based off of DC characters, but they have wildly varying goals in doing so. Mattel seeks to deliver Mainstream characters with some lesser known supporting characters to the general public - both in effort to build the brand of DC toys made by Mattel and to heighten awareness of DC characters to the general public. This coincides nicely with Warner Bros increased interest in making DC movies.

DC Direct makes story-based, highly detailed figures for a collector market. Many obscure and story specific characters are made in this line, often based on a particular artist's rendition. DCD is seeking to capitalize on the existing comic book reader market and popular stories. DC Direct also makes prop replicas, statues, busts, and other higher-priced items besides figures.

DC Direct isn't in any danger and really could only benefit from an increased interest in DC properties from the general public. The portion of the market that DCD and Mattel compete in... well just as many of us will buy from both lines as well drop one in favor of the other.

Well that's my opinion on things anyway.

I agree too.

DC Direct isn't going the way of the dodo anytime soon.

People keep harping that DCD will do the super obscure characters that Mattel wont! What super obscure character has DCD done lately? And even if they do, so what, they'll still be out of scale, 9 POA, artist/story specific versions, so I could care less if DCD does obscure characters.

Personaly, if the character is that super obscure, that only hardcore fans would know who it is, why would Mattel want to make a figure that the none comic collecting customer wouldn't know from a hole in the wall?It would peg warm big time!

Ooh, DCD is making Calender man! Super obscure, right?

CalenderMan.jpg

Do you really think that if Mattel/4HM made this a regular fig in a line , it would sell to the general, non-comic collectors? I highly doubt it! I know who he is & I wouldn't buy it unless the C&C was a must have figure for me.

DCD isn't dead cuz there will always be "Superwonderbat" fans that will support it & could care less about the scale issues & limited POA & like having 22 "SuperwonderBat" figs based on 22 different artist's renditions & 22 different storylines.

Do you really think that if Mattel/4HM made this a regular fig in a line , it would sell to the general, non-comic collectors? I highly doubt it! I know who he is & I wouldn't buy it unless the C&C was a must have figure for me.

thats kind of the point, some of us want them, but they aren't mainstream enough to make it into the mass market lines, and quite frankly we don't give a rats ass if they peg warm or not as long as somebody makes at least one for us to buy, and that is the beauty of DCD. and for the record i don't really give a crap about scale or articulation either...all i want is a damn Detective Chimp figure, and as unlikely as it is he'll ever be made i've got a much better shot of him coming from DCD :P

Mr Yac says:" i don't really give a crap about scale or articulation either"

Good for you, then DCD will alway take care of that for you cuz they excel at those 2 things you don't give a crap about.

However, there are many of us who do give a crap about scale/POA & are very happy that Mattel/4HM think so as well!

Here's the argument about "obscure" characters in a nutshell:

Obscure is relative.

ANY character..........any of them, can be brought into the limelight at any time based on their exposure in a astory. So, from a marketing angle the character doesn't have to be one that's appear in a reader's childhood, it can be one from before that time that's made a reappearance in a recent issue.

Association is also a relative thing.

I have LESS asociation to characters post-1990, than I do pre-1990--and I was reading comics pretty steadily from 1980 up to about 2000. The Image-era brought about all kinds of characters and interpretations on characters at Marvel and DC that...........honestly, I could care less about.

Unfortunately (and I use that word deliberately), that is the era that a lot of these forums readers hail from.

The argument has long been wrapped around the youthful conceit that history only matters and remains relevant in the time a young person has been born and directly exposed to.

The problem with that conceit is that many of the characters they like vastly pre-date their own lives.

So do the myriad other characters they don't know about.

Personally, I'd love a Calender Man, and throw in the Calculator too and add in some Dr Phosphorus--I don't care if they are obscure, I think they LOOK COOL.

The Legendary Comic Book Heroes line has apparently shown that characters that look cool, but have had relatively limited exposure can still sell, in spite of association.