Paramount Already Having To Do Damage Control For GIJoe Movie???

JayC

Who's REX? Cobra Commander was known as FRED, thus the Crimson army of FREDS. You know I"m about to give up on this movie. I liked it better when it was called STREET FIGHTER and the american guy was played by Jean Claude Van Dam who is french......WTF?? SF had the feel of a Real GI JOE movie, although I was disappointed that we didn't see CAMMY in the thong. Grrrrrrrrroooowwwwllllll.

Hey if we're gonna add Crappy characters and ruin the movie anyway....Why don't we get Stephen King to direct and lets throw in CRYSTAL BALL and SNEAK PEEK. Then every 10 minutels we can Kill the New Sneak Peek like South Park kills Kenney. For those who don't know, Crystal Ball was made by King's son and Sneak Peeks real name is the same as King's son. OOOOOOOORRRRRR, lets do the COBRA LA backstory of Cobra Commander. Maybe he was a brilliant Noblesman with a deep voice who hit on Pythona one day. After she gives him a swift kick to the groin, the drops to his knees and in a high pitched raspy voice replies......."I WAS ONCE A MAN!". OOOOOORRRRR, lets get Robert Dinero to play SERPENTOR....This I command.

Speaking of....I have a Theory on why all the Vipers have Commander like Faceplates. Serpentor armed his new VIPERS for battle but wanted to remind Cobra Commander of his Insignificance in the ranks so VIPERS being the LOWEST troop rank, gave them all faceplates to mock CC. WOW, I can write a story better than PARAMOUNT. Oh, but since Hollywood has to change race and gender, the part of Cobra Commander will now be played by Beyonce Knowles and he'll take over the world with his magical lyrics of doom. However we'll send Snake Eyes (played by Shakira) to bellydance him to death.

I'll give this movie a chance if they do one thing for me. I Want an appearance by the only 2 living GI JOES ....SGT. Slaughter and Rifrigerator Perry. Then I might be able to Digest this load of garbage. Why Ripcord man...Why not put in BAZOOKA and Quick Kick for Comedy Relief, I love them. Ripcord was in 1 episode I think, Irish Red haired guy in Camos. And he still got more screen time than Crankcase (who never was seen onscreen).

My all star Fanboy Cast lIst would be as follows:

Duke---Casper Van Dean

Scarlet---Jennifer Garner

Cover Girl---Ali Larter

Ship Wreck---Bruce Campbell

RoadBlock---Will Smith

Heavy Duty---Ice Cube (roadblocks cousin, fellow rapper)

Hawk---Kurt Russel

Tunnel Rat---John Leguizamo (not asian but fits the part)

Quick Kick---Ernie Reyes Jr.

Cobra Commander---Gary Oldman

Destro---Vin Diesel

Baroness---Milla Jovavich or Famke Jansen (both have done good accents)

Storm Shadow---Jet Li

Zartan---Colin Ferrel

Narration by MICHAEL BELL (the original Duke, Major Bludd, many more)

Special Appearance by Sgt. Slaughter

Now That's a movie!

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ripcord is flirting with Scarlett, then, I hope Snake-Eyes whups his @$$ at the end of the movie.

If I were betting, I'd bet this movie will be bad. Maybe not Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation bad, but bad nonetheless. The ideas being kicked around are so cliche/hollywood.

Duke being friends with Cobra Commander before he's Cobra Commander is like Tim Burton having the Joker create Batman by killing his parents. There doesn't always have to be an emotional investment between the good and bad guy. You can still be a good hero or a good villain without having known your archenemy personally. It's old and been done and we don't need to see it again.

The entire Ripcord thing is about as bad as it gets. I have no doubt he'll speak with all the jargon/lingo/slang representative of the tough streets of Compton or Los Angeles or some other California city he grew up on. He'll also be funny and tough, misunderstood by his peers, have a heart of gold underneath his wacky exterior, and be loved by all by the end of the film. Maybe a straight ripoff of Will Smith's character in the Men in Black films is exactly what they're going for. And that business about him flirting with Scarlett just makes my opinion sink even lower if it's true.

Transformers is both a blessing and a curse for G.I. Joe. Its success has allowed a Joe film to be made, but that success also means this film and its makers will try their hardest to make it as successful with this dreaded "mass audience." Pleasing all the fans who have kept G.I. Joe going for the last 25+ years is somewhere down the list and they'll throw in little things here and there to cover that base (like the guy with scars in Batman Begins probably being Mr. Zsasz and only fanboys knew/noticed).

Transformers is both a blessing and a curse for G.I. Joe. Its success has allowed a Joe film to be made, but that success also means this film and its makers will try their hardest to make it as successful with this dreaded "mass audience."

The "mass audience" dreaded by many hardcore fans are necessary to demand a $170 million production budget. That's a lot of coin, even for Hollywood standards. And with that coin, and the decision to hire a lesser known ensemble cast requiring a lower payroll, the action and vehicles in this film should be unlike anything we've seen before.

Had Hollywood tried to replicate the comic books, which judging by many posts is what the hardcore fans want, then the audience would barely be big enough to justify paper mache effects.

We have the Comic books, and they're great. Same with the cartoon. But the silver screen opens up the opportunity for something bigger, and I'm all for that.

Not everyone will feel that way, and that's fine. To each their own.

I know they guy who posted the "mini script" preview was asked if anything from the previous versions of the scripts (the whole Rex thing) was carried over into this new version and he said no, none of that other stuff was carried over. Today Hisstank was asked to remove the review from their website as well, by Paramount.

If I were betting, I'd bet this movie will be bad. Maybe not Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat: Annihilation bad, but bad nonetheless. The ideas being kicked around are so cliche/hollywood.

Duke being friends with Cobra Commander before he's Cobra Commander is like Tim Burton having the Joker create Batman by killing his parents. There doesn't always have to be an emotional investment between the good and bad guy. You can still be a good hero or a good villain without having known your archenemy personally. It's old and been done and we don't need to see it again.

The entire Ripcord thing is about as bad as it gets. I have no doubt he'll speak with all the jargon/lingo/slang representative of the tough streets of Compton or Los Angeles or some other California city he grew up on. He'll also be funny and tough, misunderstood by his peers, have a heart of gold underneath his wacky exterior, and be loved by all by the end of the film. Maybe a straight ripoff of Will Smith's character in the Men in Black films is exactly what they're going for. And that business about him flirting with Scarlett just makes my opinion sink even lower if it's true.

Transformers is both a blessing and a curse for G.I. Joe. Its success has allowed a Joe film to be made, but that success also means this film and its makers will try their hardest to make it as successful with this dreaded "mass audience." Pleasing all the fans who have kept G.I. Joe going for the last 25+ years is somewhere down the list and they'll throw in little things here and there to cover that base (like the guy with scars in Batman Begins probably being Mr. Zsasz and only fanboys knew/noticed).

You are pretty much hitting the nail on the head my friend. My problem isn't so much the casting on this movie.......its the cookie cutter approach being taken with the source material........I love how most of the time studios take certain properties and put them through their studio/hollywood+comic/toy property meat grinder. Sometimes the stuff is good but most of the time its pretty bad or acceptable........it just sounds very cliched........when it could be original for the big-screen......one of the things that a lot of people said after seeing "Transformers" was that is was DIFFERENT from anything they've seen before. This was coming from "mass market" people.......just people i work with everyday and friends.

It just seems like this is going to be Navy Seals meets Street Fighter meets MOTU meets Teen Titans.

Also it seemed like every Channing Tatum movie was on yesterday....."She's the man" and "Step Up" were both played on the movie channels........it was weird.......but looking at the Duke on the front of the 25th Box......he pretty much fits the bill......I can get over his age as long as he acts mature as Duke.......and it was kinda ironic cause his character in "She's the man" was named Duke.

man.. anybody that thinks a GiJoe movie that stayed true to much of the source material would be bad... doesn't know crap.

The movie will not be any better or capture anymore of the mass audience because of the changes they are making.

Just like Transformers, there is no way in hell that the changes they made allowed the film to be more profitable. It would have been even better if it were actually the Transformers in the movie

I think I've lost my passion over the whole debacle of a "LIVE ACTION" G.I.Joe movie, and just don't care anymore.

I was never into Transformers, so with nothing to go on prior to seeing it or any pre concept of what should be what and HOW anything SHOULD be (as a fan would naturally anticipate over such things)...I eneded up just really enjoying the movie for what it was.

I AM a fan of G.I.Joe though, and have a pretty good pre-established idea in my head of what I think (or would expect) from all of it (a movie) and this has been developed from my earliest days of playing with G.I.Joe and the ADVENTURE TEAM to my days of collecting G.I.Joe of the 80's and the ARAH era, and I can even incorporate the TWO of them together a little easier than the children of the ARAH era can just for having the advantage of being a child of the 60's & 70's and still being able to appreciate the G.I.Joe theme as it carried on into the 80's and beyond. They just became more and MORE indepth is all.....IMO. :)

I don't feel this movie is going to do EITHER one....justice.

I'd be more excited if they were just taking the actual toys themselves and doing a "stop-action" or a semi-animated kids movie with them, with a good script and serious effort behind it, but still just a "kids flick" using REAL toys (instead of people). Something along the lines of many of the dios a Joe fan puts together for us, but with actual MOVING figures and dialogue.

I'd kick a real kick out of something like that. ^_^

I'm figuring I'll catch this Joe movie on DVD eventually, and I'm in the "wait-and-see" category with the others (whether for good or bad) and after that, I'll probably be more able to pan it or praise it on the merits of what it IS...rather than what it MIGHT be, at this point and time. I know I'm not liking what I'm reading on it though, if that counts for anything?

man.. anybody that thinks a GiJoe movie that stayed true to much of the source material would be bad... doesn't know crap.

I never said it would be bad. Not at all. In fact, it would be a very entertaining film... but it wouldn't be marketable to a large enough worldwide audience to justify the huge budget this film has been *blessed* with. Yes, blessed. Because for all the crying I read about Marlon Wayans as Rip Cord, I remind myself of the opportunity to create incredible battles and vehicles with that budget. Which for me is just as big a part of GI Joe as anything else.

The argument this film doesn't stay true to a lot of the source material is a moot point right now. Have you personally read the script? The early reviews indicate this film will respect the source material MUCH MORE than Bay's Transformer's did. For all the whining about Optimus having flames, they were ultimately at the bottom of my list of issues with that film.

If people want to write off this movie before a single frame of film has been shot, that's their decision. I'm going in with an open mind.

I never said it would be bad. Not at all. In fact, it would be a very entertaining film... but it wouldn't be marketable to a large enough worldwide audience to justify the huge budget this film has been *blessed* with. Yes, blessed. Because for all the crying I read about Marlon Wayans as Rip Cord, I remind myself of the opportunity to create incredible battles and vehicles with that budget. Which for me is just as big a part of GI Joe as anything else.

The argument this film doesn't stay true to a lot of the source material is a moot point right now. Have you personally read the script? The early reviews indicate this film will respect the source material MUCH MORE than Bay's Transformer's did. For all the whining about Optimus having flames, they were ultimately at the bottom of my list of issues with that film.

If people want to write off this movie before a single frame of film has been shot, that's their decision. I'm going in with an open mind.

I see your point about the budget, but who cares about the budget or extravagant battle scenes if it doesn't "feel" like G.I. Joe? There are lots of movies with big battles, cool special effects, and great action. We've seen 'em over and over. But this is supposed to be a G.I. Joe movie, not just another action film. And the more you change things the more it becomes just that: one more film for mass audiences that could have been called something else entirely and gotten the same effect.

Respecting the source material and to what degree are both relative. Hasbro and the producers are going to give the indication it's faithful right now because the only people that care about this film up until its release are/will be the fans who want to hear that. But we've already been given multiple instances of how unfaithful they're willing to be:

Ripcord is black and a troublemaker

Duke has a prior relationship with Cobra Commander

G.I. Joe is a global team, not America's highly-trained special mission force

The Joe team is based in Europe (Brussels, wasn't it? Why not make Jean-Claude Van Damme the star since he's from Belgium. He wouldn't have to hide his accent. :rolleyes: )

The list goes on. I mean, they were even talking about an Action Man kind of thing until we complainers flipped out about it.

If everyone takes the attitude of "wait and see" then Hasbro and the dollar signs they see will hand us something like Action Man and his global strike force (can we say Street Fighter?) and by then it'll be too late.

Perhaps our complaining doesn't do any good, but then again Hasbro said they'd intentionally "leak" things to get fans reaction. Plus they've already backed off a number of things that were originally reported. Besides, the complaining doesn't hurt anyone, anyway, other than other fans who think we should wait and see until it's too late.

The Joe team is based in Europe (Brussels, wasn't it? Why not make Jean-Claude Van Damme the star since he's from Belgium. He wouldn't have to hide his accent. :rolleyes: )

None of that has really been confirmed 100%, except the Ripcord thing, and even the "troublemaker" thing may be something we're all reading too much into. I'm still not crazy about Marlon Wayans, but whatever...

None of that has really been confirmed 100%, except the Ripcord thing, and even the "troublemaker" thing may be something we're all reading too much into. I'm still not crazy about Marlon Wayans, but whatever...

All of that is from the "second" treatment which appears, based on information coming out of LatinoReview and Hisstank.com (subsequently yanked by Paramount), to be nothing more than a bump in the road to the shooting script. We have no proof "Rex" is in this movie at all. According the recent leaked shooting script reviews, Rex may very well be toast.

That's why I've felt compelled to speak out. It's too early to jump to conclusions at this point in time based on 100% confirmed information we have. Because frankly, we have none other than casting choices, we have none.

We're all on the same team and want a good movie that "feels" like a GI Joe movie. Let's get a better feel of what they come up with first before condemning it to a steaming pile of mass market ____ with no resemblance to Joe.

OKAY FANBOYS, lemme just say first off, As an American, it is our total right to speak up with what we don't agree with. We can voice our opinions freely whether they are heard or not. That's what our soldiers are fighting and dying for every day. For those who say that we are whining and complaining too much.....I'll fight for freedom whereever there's trouble and right now it's in Hollywood's Machine.

That being said, If you don't respect the SOURCE MATERIAL, what's the point of doing the movie in the first place. You end up with Dolph's HeMan, Which was NOT Dolph's fault, it was the writers taking liberties on the story. Battlestar Galactica lost me from the very beginning, because it was not true to the original. However, Dr. Who and Flash Gordon series remakes are somewhat tru to the source material and are not bad. There are a few differences but not enough to ruin it.

Again, Stop changing things just to change them. For Example "LAVERN AND SHIRLEY the MOVIE". Two white women cops in Harlem are trapped in the riots caused over a Sports disagreement. They call in Backup cops LENNY AND SQUIGMAN but they can't get near their position. It's up to Helicopter ace Romano...Codename the big Ragu, to lift them out of trouble. OR....Lets give Spidey a Talking car and call it KNIGHTSPIDER, and they go to the beach to watch lifeguards all day.

Does anybod know why HULK, DAREDEVIL, ELEKTRA, MOTU and many other comic movies failed. NOWHERE NEAR the Original Story. Say Hollywood decides to do a MOVIE called THUNDERCATS and they want to use Rhinoceri in Black LEATHER just to make it cooler and more hip. Then they'll add digital Chimpanzees ala JAR JAR for comic Relief. Here's a thought.......Just make a dang movie about CATS from SPACE who fight monsters. Why is it that hard. TURTLES differed slightly from the ORIGINAL Story but kept tru to the basis. F4 was NOT BAD, changed slightly but still tru to the characters story. Spidey is One of the Few that stays pretty close, kept the red and blues, tries to stay tru to the premis of Spidey and that's because RAIMI is a fanboy. XMEN differed enough to be annoying at times. I can live with variations and upgrades, just stop fixing what ain't broke.

So this squeaky wheel is gonna make a lot of noise until my right to do so is taken away or I get the power to do something about it. If I've learned anything being a FANBOY, One man can make a difference, with great power comes great responsibility and ther is no spoon.

OKAY FANBOYS, lemme just say first off, As an American, it is our total right to speak up with what we don't agree with. We can voice our opinions freely whether they are heard or not. That's what our soldiers are fighting and dying for every day. For those who say that we are whining and complaining too much.....I'll fight for freedom whereever there's trouble and right now it's in Hollywood's Machine.

That being said, If you don't respect the SOURCE MATERIAL, what's the point of doing the movie in the first place. You end up with Dolph's HeMan, Which was NOT Dolph's fault, it was the writers taking liberties on the story. Battlestar Galactica lost me from the very beginning, because it was not true to the original. However, Dr. Who and Flash Gordon series remakes are somewhat tru to the source material and are not bad. There are a few differences but not enough to ruin it.

Again, Stop changing things just to change them. For Example "LAVERN AND SHIRLEY the MOVIE". Two white women cops in Harlem are trapped in the riots caused over a Sports disagreement. They call in Backup cops LENNY AND SQUIGMAN but they can't get near their position. It's up to Helicopter ace Romano...Codename the big Ragu, to lift them out of trouble. OR....Lets give Spidey a Talking car and call it KNIGHTSPIDER, and they go to the beach to watch lifeguards all day.

Does anybod know why HULK, DAREDEVIL, ELEKTRA, MOTU and many other comic movies failed. NOWHERE NEAR the Original Story. Say Hollywood decides to do a MOVIE called THUNDERCATS and they want to use Rhinoceri in Black LEATHER just to make it cooler and more hip. Then they'll add digital Chimpanzees ala JAR JAR for comic Relief. Here's a thought.......Just make a dang movie about CATS from SPACE who fight monsters. Why is it that hard. TURTLES differed slightly from the ORIGINAL Story but kept tru to the basis. F4 was NOT BAD, changed slightly but still tru to the characters story. Spidey is One of the Few that stays pretty close, kept the red and blues, tries to stay tru to the premis of Spidey and that's because RAIMI is a fanboy. XMEN differed enough to be annoying at times. I can live with variations and upgrades, just stop fixing what ain't broke.

So this squeaky wheel is gonna make a lot of noise until my right to do so is taken away or I get the power to do something about it. If I've learned anything being a FANBOY, One man can make a difference, with great power comes great responsibility and ther is no spoon.

Being loud, obnoxious and annoying will not get you anywhere, it'll just get you tuned out as yet another know-nothing fan.

If you want to know "why" these changes are made, then learn how movies get made. Often times they have legitimate reasons for making the changes. The filmmakers and creative types here are dealing with issues far above the considerations of what fans think about.

Don't forget, most fans think they know how to make these films better than the pros, but most of these amateur fans that make films make steaming piles of crap. There's a good reason for that.

If you want to foment change itself, screaching away as a consumer will do nothing--get into the industry and create works and make films. Then you'll have your chance to change the things you believe are wrong.

Otherwise, you are nothing in the overall scheme of the whole process--the movie will get made regardless of how much noise you make about it.

All I know is if you wanna get your point across, maybe you should stop using Battlestar Galactica as an example. The new series is above and beyond what the first one was, in terms of writing, acting, direction, story... pretty much EVERYTHING.

Being loud, obnoxious and annoying will not get you anywhere, it'll just get you tuned out as yet another know-nothing fan.

If you want to know "why" these changes are made, then learn how movies get made. Often times they have legitimate reasons for making the changes. The filmmakers and creative types here are dealing with issues far above the considerations of what fans think about.

Don't forget, most fans think they know how to make these films better than the pros, but most of these amateur fans that make films make steaming piles of crap. There's a good reason for that.

If you want to foment change itself, screaching away as a consumer will do nothing--get into the industry and create works and make films. Then you'll have your chance to change the things you believe are wrong.

Otherwise, you are nothing in the overall scheme of the whole process--the movie will get made regardless of how much noise you make about it.

I HAVE studied film for a great many years and am becoming a Film Maker. I know more about film making than the average Joe. Now for you to call Ametuer films Crap is as much YOUR OPINION as ours is to knock the HOLLYWOOD MACHINE. But telling us to shup up, lay down and take it is also YOUR OPINION. I'm a reasonable type guy who is passionate about arts of the sort, as are many others here. It irks me when people get on a RANT site and try to Stifle others and force their personal opinion on them. I say what I feel, it is others choice to agree or disagree and vice versa. Obviously there IS a problem or we wouldn't be here griping about it. I'm just saying, fair is fair, You'll have your opinion and we'll have ours, and I'll fight to the death to defend that right, whether I agree with what you say or not.

Do you think if people paid good money to go to a NASCAR or INDY race and when they got there, all the cars were go carts, that people would not be upset and gripe about it. But to tell them to DEAL with it is inexcusable. I can spew millions of similiar illustrations like this but the bottom line is we are fans for a reason, and to deny what originally made us fans is sacreligous. I'm open minded about a lot of things, but I'm tired of seeing my childhood heroes flop because of horrible film makers. Like somebody on here said, you can't talk about Daredevil to the younger generation, because the movie was horrible and it turned off a whole generation of fans because of it. Same for Hulk, Clooney's Batman, Elektra....etc. Better example. XXX with Vin Diesel rocked. XXX State of the UNION was not at all good. I don't blame Ice Cube. They tried to REINVENT the wheel after it was perfected. However, BLADE the Series (even tho it wasn't SNIPES) wasn't bad because it was TRU to the Source material before it.

I know is if you wanna get your point across, maybe you should stop using Battlestar Galactica as an example. The new series is above and beyond what the first one was, in terms of writing, acting, direction, story... pretty much EVERYTHING.

Yes it is ABOVE AND BEYOND....."SPACE: ABOVE and BEYOND", it's on DVD, look into it, BSG is SA&B rewritten to fit into the BS universe. It is your perogative to like it. it turned myself and others like me off because it was Soooo different and far away from the original story.

AND I"M SURE within the next month we'll all be here discussing how they will ruin KNIGHTRIDER 2008. SO FAR Terminator: TSCC is tru to source materials and therefore is doing well. It's called FAN SERVICE, keep with the original source material that everybody knows and build new adventures based on that FACT HISTORY.

SO, without FORCING my opinion on anybody, DOING MY HOMEWORK in FILM HISTORY and FILM MAKING, and speaking as a Creator, movie maker and as a fanboy, I still stand for the others on here who have an opionion and feel free to express it openly and without ridicule. DO NOT GO GENTLY into that goodnight. DO NOT LAY DOWN and Take it because somebody tells you that there's nothing you can do about it. Theres no reason why Hollywood can't make a good movie without reWriting entire backstories.

I've been staying away from these joe movie topics bc they sound a lot like the old tf movie topics; a lot of naysaying w/o much information being available yet. I'm going to wait until a trailer is released, and if it looks decent, I'll watch the movie.

As for comparisons w/ the transformers movie; I don't see how that film could've been more profitable. It was the third highest-grossing film of the year, beating out huge franchise movies (Harry Potter and Pirates), and the toys have sold amazingly well. Like most tf fans, I was sceptical about the film, but once I saw it, I really enjoyed it; I really hope I'll be able to say the same for the joe film. Who knows, if the movie does well, maybe we'll get a new cartoon (the new tf toon is doing great; it would be awesome if a new joe toon would do the same for its franchise).

It's called FAN SERVICE, keep with the original source material that everybody knows and build new adventures based on that FACT HISTORY.

How many people do you think know what the *true* source material for GI Joe is? Are you talking about the comics? Cartoon? Original 12" line? I may be going out on a limb here, but I bet more overall *people* are familiar with the Terminator films than any portion of GI Joe's back story from any of its incarnations. You're also comparing apples to oranges... the Terminator is a single story born and living in a theatrical world. The TV series is merely an extension of that, and really couldn't have been done any other way or else future films wouldn't make sense.

If anything, the largest population of adults today familiar with GI Joe are familiar with the toys and cartoon ONLY. Most of my "Joe" friends as kids whom I had battles with never knew a comic existed. GI Joe was the toys and cartoon, and thats it. So should the movie follow the cartoon exactly?

I'm not saying throw the cartoon, comic and 12" line out the window. I'm saying I expect the script to utilize elements from each.

I HAVE studied film for a great many years and am becoming a Film Maker. I know more about film making than the average Joe. Now for you to call Ametuer films Crap is as much YOUR OPINION as ours is to knock the HOLLYWOOD MACHINE. But telling us to shup up, lay down and take it is also YOUR OPINION. I'm a reasonable type guy who is passionate about arts of the sort, as are many others here. It irks me when people get on a RANT site and try to Stifle others and force their personal opinion on them. I say what I feel, it is others choice to agree or disagree and vice versa. Obviously there IS a problem or we wouldn't be here griping about it. I'm just saying, fair is fair, You'll have your opinion and we'll have ours, and I'll fight to the death to defend that right, whether I agree with what you say or not.

Yea, yea yea...

I've been in the entertainment industry for 22 years now (storyboards for animation for the last 17) so I've not just got another "opinion"......

You can say what you "feel" but then again, a bung-hole can blow smoke too.......

The proof is in the product, and if you want to change the product other people make, make product yourself. The vast majority cannot do this, as many amateur films attest. Sure they have their hearts in the right place, but heart is the least of all qualities in this endeavour.

You blather on about rights, but you forget the rights of expression that the creators of these films have in making their own interpretations. These films have the blessing of the people that originated these ideas!

They are authorized BY the source licensor to ADAPT these works using their best judgment and based upon their expertise in storytelling, cinematography, and technical merits. The very same right that you would have in their place.....

I'm not saying "shut up", I'm saying WISE UP.

Learn more about WHY they make the choices they do--because you obviously do not know.

If you truly understood the storytelling process you'd understand why a re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is a VERY good thing...

Fans have this annoying anal needs to crystallize things, trying to keep them as they are, creators explore new venues, always trying to tell a new and different story. Exploration and change are the core of the creative process.

Work in the Biz itself and appreciate the entire process that, really, needs more than a few minor miracles to realize these films onto the big screen.

I've done this for 22 years, and have seen this process firsthand.

Fans don't know jack-#$@#. They know consumption, and not much more. The rare few that understand the processes of creatign the products they consume generally tend to appreciate the product more.

The ignoramuses that know nothing just whine and complain because they assume so much.

Don't assume, know.

Most fans do not awant to know.........they are lazy, and make excuses. They don't know where to look in the first place, but the the tool towards that answer is right under their fingertips RIGHT NOW.

That's clearly not enough because most complaining fans are all mouth--just endless complaining.

That's why no-one listens to them, they've entrenched themselves and their thinking in learned helplessness and do not realize they can do something about it, beyond just complaining.

I AM a Fan. I've been a fan for a long time and I'm also a creator, and I HAVE affected change in the works I have done.

Small changes to be true, but all change is progressive and processional.

And I do not complain about stuff because I can see both sides of the issues, unlike most fans.

I don't just vent about it, I do something. Join the club or accept what you get.

How many people do you think know what the *true* source material for GI Joe is? Are you talking about the comics? Cartoon? Original 12" line? I may be going out on a limb here, but I bet more overall *people* are familiar with the Terminator films than any portion of GI Joe's back story from any of its incarnations. You're also comparing apples to oranges... the Terminator is a single story born and living in a theatrical world. The TV series is merely an extension of that, and really couldn't have been done any other way or else future films wouldn't make sense.

GO back and watch HIGHLANDER, Highlander 2, Highlander the cartoon and Highlander the series, different storylines and origins. The cartoon Veers off of the SPACE Highlander story. Where the series follows the story of 1 and 3. As for terminator, All of their knowledge is based off of the MOVIE. That's the point. If all your knowledge comes from the movie wouldn't you want it to be accurate. Or would you do a remake where George Washington lived in the Whitehouse in DC (he lived in Philidelphia I believe) and Burned an Oak tree instead of cutting down a Cherry Sapling? Or Have Lincoln assassinated in a Motorcade? If a man is 6ft, good looking and has a full head of hair, do you want me to make a movie based on him as a short fat bald man? Turn his sister's character into his dog, make him raised by a single parent when he has 2? History is FACT/LAW, i'm just saying don't rewrite it, branch off of it and make further adventures.

AS FAR AS Who knows about GI JOE, I think we underestimate people. I can ask my Mom, my peers, and my young nephew, and they could all tell me who DUKE, SNAKE EYES, COBRA COMMANDER, and DESTRO is. Before the '80s, joes didn't have names. Sigma 6 is a good example of making changes but staying TRU to the Source Material and Charaters. For that matter SPY TROOPS, VALOR VS VENOM and NINJA SHOWDOWN were all NEW adventures but based on the original SOURCE. My Grandma used to buy my uncles the Original "12" joes. Though they didn't have names, she could describe them as well. When I as random people, they remember the toys and Cartoons.

The same argument goes for those PC oriented who worry that PEOPLE might think STALKER is a Stalker. Yet nobody worries that RIPPER might rip someones arms off or TORCH light somebody on fire. Nobody questions why somebody who fights SNAKE related Enemies has a man named SNAKE EYES on his team. People aren't as stupid at you people are making them. It's thinking like this that gives FANBOYS a bad name, makes "NERD" and "GEEK" derrogatory. I'm not closed minded, and I praise all who are open enough to look for alternatives instead of LAYING DOWN and TAKING IT.

I came here to stand for the Fanboy and Defend the greatness of Someones creations from being changed into some Crap to be bastardized for the sole purpose of making money and sticking it to the fans that followed and made it the hit in the beginning. But if your gonna attack me for my noble defense, than I hope they make Snake Eyes talk, Make Destro wear a Batman mask, Make Scarlet never touch a CROSSBOW, and they all drive Gremlins.

Yea, yea yea...

I've been in the entertainment industry for 22 years now (storyboards for animation for the last 17) so I've not just got another "opinion"......

You can say what you "feel" but then again, a bung-hole can blow smoke too.......

The proof is in the product, and if you want to change the product other people make, make product yourself. The vast majority cannot do this, as many amateur films attest. Sure they have their hearts in the right place, but heart is the least of all qualities in this endeavour.

You blather on about rights, but you forget the rights of expression that the creators of these films have in making their own interpretations. These films have the blessing of the people that originated these ideas!

They are authorized BY the source licensor to ADAPT these works using their best judgment and based upon their expertise in storytelling, cinematography, and technical merits. The very same right that you would have in their place.....

Learn more about WHY they make the choices they do--because you obviously do not know.

If you truly understood the storytelling process you'd understand why a re-imagined Battlestar Galactica is a VERY good thing...

Fans have this annoying anal needs to crystallize things, trying to keep them as they are, creators explore new venues, always trying to tell a new and different story. Exploration and change are the core of the creative process.

Work in the Biz itself and appreciate the entire process that, really, needs more than a few minor miracles to realize these films onto the big screen.

Fans don't know jack-#$@#. They know consumption, and not much more. The rare few that understand the processes of creatign the products they consume generally tend to appreciate the product more.

The ignoramuses that know nothing just whine and complain because they assume so much.

Don't assume, know.

Most fans do not awant to know.........they are lazy, and make excuses. They don't know where to look in the first place, but the the tool towards that answer is right under their fingertips RIGHT NOW.

That's clearly not enough because most complaining fans are all mouth--just endless complaining.

That's why no-one listens to them, they've entrenched themselves and their thinking in learned helplessness and do not realize they can do something about it, beyond just complaining.

I AM a Fan. I've been a fan for a long time and I'm also a creator, and I HAVE affected change in the works I have done.

And I do not complain about stuff because I can see both sides of the issues, unlike most fans.

I don't just vent about it, I do something. Join the club or accept what you get.

I think hell just froze over, I agree with Arrow on this one.

As a consumer the only power we have is our money. That’s it, our opinions count ever so little. As large studios, toy companies and comic lines will simple suck up the losses and move on to the next product. And really, that makes perfect sense, most people don’t know anything about what their complaining about. Now if you don’t like something, that’s well and fine, but get some insight on what you’re complaining about in the first place. But don’t pretend that you could do any better, until you actually can that is.

Add to the fact that we really have no idea what, if any, changes will make it into the final film. How can everybody just go off on something that hasn’t even been filmed yet? I mean come on; complaining about something that doesn’t yet exist is insane. How do we know the whole ripcord thing isn’t a red hearing? We don’t, and companies love to do that these days. They throw us off the trail until the end. Until we see some actual footage I am staying out of this. Even then, their not going to change the film for a bunch of middle age fan boys, we aren’t the market their trying to grab. For every Joe 'fan' that boycotts the movie 10 little kids will be in line with their dads. Really this movie isn’t for us; it’s for the kids, same as the toys that I am sure everybody will #$#@# about will be. And who knows, we might all be pleasantly surprised and the film could turn out to be a fun little diversion.

As a consumer the only power we have is our money. That’s it, our opinions count ever so little. As large studios, toy companies and comic lines will simple suck up the losses and move on to the next product. And really, that makes perfect sense, most people don’t know anything about what their complaining about. Now if you don’t like something, that’s well and fine, but get some insight on what you’re complaining about in the first place. But don’t pretend that you could do any better, until you actually can that is.

Add to the fact that we really have no idea what, if any, changes will make it into the final film. How can everybody just go off on something that hasn’t even been filmed yet? I mean come on; complaining about something that doesn’t yet exist is insane. How do we know the whole ripcord thing isn’t a red hearing? We don’t, and companies love to do that these days. They throw us off the trail until the end. Until we see some actual footage I am staying out of this. Even then, their not going to change the film for a bunch of middle age fan boys, we aren’t the market their trying to grab. For every Joe 'fan' that boycotts the movie 10 little kids will be in line with their dads. Really this movie isn’t for us; it’s for the kids, same as the toys that I am sure everybody will #$#@# about will be. And who knows, we might all be pleasantly surprised and the film could turn out to be a fun little diversion.

AMEN. Well said.

Slaughter, I'm not attacking you at all. But I think you're being presumptuous in calling foul and denouncing this film for not following GI Joe lore when, in fact, no one really knows what the hell the production team is doing yet. We know main characters and that's it. And unlike Transformers, every single name has been plucked from GI Joe's history.

Let's wait for some images, footage, or spy set reports to come in before throwing a red flag.

Yea, yea yea...

Don't assume, know.

I agree with both of you on this.

Arrow, didn't know you were in the industry. Card and I are both designers, I think Don's been at it a little bit longer than I have. I also have a background in film (albeit documentary) and worked in the production dept at NatGeo. The production process, however, is very similar for most aspects of creative work, and I know the choices and decisions that go into a film.

Arrow, you're exactly on the money when you said to look at and learn why the writers / producers / directors make the choices they do. They need to re-envision things . . . it, like you said, is at the core of the creative process. I'm kind of with Card on this one. Though I'm not terribly active on the board, I do read nearly everything, and most of the time haven't really agreed with with things you've said. But I had to come and in and say something about this because you've really captured, in a snapshot, what the fans vs hollywood thing looks like when the b.s. is stripped away. THANK YOU.