Paramount Already Having To Do Damage Control For GIJoe Movie???

JayC

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they're gonna give Duke some Buddy character, just make one up, I don't mind having an all new Joe, I just don't like the idea of taking a known character and completely spinning him into a different one and to top it off, changing his race. Someone said in the other thread... heck, make him Stalker, lol.. I think he can pull off Lonzo!! I mean, will this Ripcord even be named for what he was? That's one of the cool things I liked was how some of their "codenames" reflected their specialties... If he's called Ripcord and doesn't jump out of a plane.. I'll be sad.. you might as well have Recondo be the Receptionist and Frostbite the Cook.

I think it'd be cool to see Zartan and the Noks as some bad ass mercenaries, that'd be cool.. I don't think they'd look cool as 80's bandanna's on the pants biker gang throwing out "blimey" here and there though... but they better hafe a nod to the chocolate donuts and grape soda if they're in the movie or I'm boycotting it!!!*

*just kidding about the boycotting thing.

<shrugs>

They should consult with the production staff from Transformers and see how they handled the fan press for one.

The other thing they probably should do..........shelve the film until the writer/screen-actors strikes are over.

What is SOUNDS like from all these snippets, is that there's a certain number of visions at work here--with a couple of key parties trying to justify their takes on the property without knowing or feeling a whole lot about it. They are stuck with the script in handa as is, and if its not "working" for the property right now then holding off and doing some more thinking on it is prudent.

That's understandable in a way, because this really is an exercise in making something out of not-a-lot.

The question here is: how many liberties can they take before its no longer what its "supposed to be"??

The key trait in this film is the feel of it--like X-men, or other genre movies, as long as it feels like GIJOE it should be a success.

The problem here is that so much of GIJOE is tied into visual touchstones ( COBRA COMMANDER etc) that omitting them starts ripping out chunks of the feel.

The problem with THAT is some of those visuals come across as silly or quite outlandish in live-action.....so a fine line has to be walked here.

As far as casting goes............pfft, I think its really a minor thing. Unless they state this is going to be a deliberate action comedy, I'm not worried about them casting actors with comedic backgrounds--because they are still ACTORS after all.

I'm strictly "wait and see" on this movie.

I don't mind having an all new Joe, I just don't like the idea of taking a known character and completely spinning him into a different one and to top it off, changing his race

Well, Joe, keep in mind that this sort of thing has been done well in the past:

"Starbuck" from the new Battlestar Galactica series. A VERY different character than the original, but far more interesting the second time around.

yeah, but Starbuck's still out there in a fighter frackin' toasters, If she was all of a sudden, Adama's right hand (wo)man in the new BSG, then I'd think it was silly)... If Ripcord is still a Halo jumper, or at least parachutes in the movie then I wont mind as much.. that's what I'm saying.

I think Ray Park is an awesome choice is Snake Eyes. That being said, we shouldn't see his face, maybe a small backdrop story but other than that no face. I am getting excited about the casting and story and the hopes that this will remain true to its origin, whether it be comic/cartoon/or filecard. My hopes that the characters come off right, especially Cobra. I know most movies based on cartoons/comics end up having most of the bad guys killed at the end, not leaving much for sequals except new characters. Why do they have to have the main villain in the first movie and then kill him off at the end? (Batman/ Spiderman/ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles/ etc) I would like to see the villains get away somehow, but thats me. Theres plenty of troop fodder in cobra that could get wiped out, but not the main guys.

The other problem I have is Marlon Wayans being cast in this movie. He dosen't fit. He is not even remotely amusing. I think if people think he will be associated with this movie then its got to be bad, or a bad comedy gone wrong, not to be taken seriously. I wanted to see this movie until I heard he will be apart of it. Now, its going to have to be something pretty damned special to make me want to change my mind.

My faith in hollywood is gone, and seriously hollywood shouldn't be allowed to touch this.

I want someone to come along and change my feelings towards hollywood and get it right, but for now that isn't going to happen. I get sick of seeing the liberties taken with movies anymore. Why can't someone make a movie true to the property without 1 thing being changed and it be made to kick ass?

You wanted my opinion you got it.

Also: a Real American Hero is what its all about.

Yo Joe!!!!!! #US1#

well i for one was cringing when they had bernie mac listed as being in transformers but his part in the movie was fine. i DIDNT like the comp tech guy and girl and think they needed to be ripped out of the movie but that is my opinion.

marlon def could be in there but i really dont like him in nearly everything he has done. why dont they just cast him as big lob instead since that is who he reminds me of in the joe universe

Im all for Parks playing Snake Eyes as long as he doesn't speak or show his face. As for Wayans playing Ripcord.... all I can say is what were they smoking when they decided that one. Seems like they picked the actor before having an actual role for him and just picked a low profile character name to give him.

As for the Pit the guy says in the interview we never knew where the Pit was, isn't that incorrect? I thought the location was always made clear to the readers????

well i for one was cringing when they had bernie mac listed as being in transformers but his part in the movie was fine. i DIDNT like the comp tech guy and girl and think they needed to be ripped out of the movie but that is my opinion.

marlon def could be in there but i really dont like him in nearly everything he has done. why dont they just cast him as big lob instead since that is who he reminds me of in the joe universe

Yeah, well you knew that the Transformers were going to be the stars of their movie...........It sounds like we will be seeing an awful lot of Marlon as Ripcord......with him being Duke's best friend and all. Kind of the comedy relief for situations.....maybe he gets killed in battle and Duke gets all Frank Castle on Cobra....... @loll@

my .02.

what a joke, maybe its a good thing the writers are on strike, becuase from what i am seeing, we need to get some new ones anyway. Let me ask Lorenzo... Do YOU want to make a "G.I.Joe A Real American Hero" movie. Or a Street Fighter knockoff disaster. I thought the Ninties had tought showed us the damage that comes from bad Screenplays and Bad Directing. However i am seeing so much worse then even Transformers.

HOW hard is it to make a G.I.Joe movie? its not, you need the main three elements. G.I.Joe, Cobra and America! Do NOT change the team to be somthing other then what it was. It seems to be this movie is taking the Liberal approach of a "International" group, so as not to upset people that are not American. You want International? Add in Oktober Gaurd and Action Man.

In all seriousness, all it takes to make a G.I.Joe Movie is..

1) Duke

2) Cobra Commander

3) Original Characters that people already know from the Cartoon

4) A good story ( if Beatti doesnt know one, ask Larry Hama) ;)

5) Over-the-top Action and Vehicles galore!

6) Witty humor, not by Ripcord, how about the original Alpine?

I just dont understand why its so hard for these guys to get a script that stays true

yet is update and does not look too "low budget" or "Street Fighter-ish".

Tell you what , Tell Lorenzo to give me a Week, ill hand him a Script that will blow every one

he has ever been handed out of the water. You need someone with a Clear vision of what this

Franchise is about.

Adding new characters to a franchise that already has 600+ characters in its universe, is

an example of how Writers have to do thier own thing, and Alienate fans just say "I made it!"

my biggest Piece of advice to Lorenzo, since he is a Good producer, and i want him to stay that way is..

throw away the script, and Hire Larry Hama to write the Movie.

then sit back and watch the money flow, he only did it for twenty years.

wow.. that producer is WAY out of touch with what people want to see in this movie.

Marlon Wayans.. okay.. I can take that he may be decent in a serious role... but the whole "he's Duke's best friend and he's always getting into trouble and Duke always has to bail him out" thing ruins it. That lone piece of info tells me that this movie is goind to be dogcrap.

They are not making a GiJoe movie, and I wish they would take the GiJoe name off of it.

Why?? sure, the fact that there is a movie being made that I will hate doesn't bother me... but this movie will become the face of GiJoe from now on. It will become the identity of all things Joe to ignorant people everwhere. It will even ruin the toys. Look at Transformers this year.. everything was about the movie... a bunch of ugly ass bots that look like alien insects.

If the Paramount wants to know how to do the characters, just ask Larry Hama, basically the father of Joe characters. He wrote the comics and the filecards... He is the one who created the things beyond the costumes. Ask Hama if he thinks its cool for Ripcord to be the team screw-up and the assclown of GiJoe? He'll say no!

In fact, there is no room for such a member on the team. The closest thing you have to a joker are Bazooka and Alpine... and they were no screw ups. Nobody on the Joe team needs to be constantly bailed out of trouble, they wouldn't be on a team of "highly trained" soldiers if they did.

anyhow.. this movie is going to be a joke.. but it will be successful because of stupid people who will go see it for the fancy explosions and ##$%$#ed jokes...

I am not saying that big explosions and jokes aren't part of GiJoe... but GiJoe is soooo much more, and its history should be respected.

I won't see it. I won't rent it. I will never pay a dime towards anything supporting that movie.

I'm glad that they are using an established Joe (Ripcord) rather than a made up character (there was early talk of a guy named "Rex"). However I still don't like the idea of them changing Ripcord's race when there are actual black characters for them to choose from (Stalker?). It's going to especially be weird seeing as how Ripcord was never portrayed as being Duke's buddy. Glad to see that Ripcord is not going to be leading the team though.

I'm behind Ccav. Hire hama! or one of us! i'm sure lots of fans could crank out better than what i'm seeing.

They are trying to make joe something it's not. Joe has comedy, it isn't a comedy, Joe goes around the globe, it's not from around the globe. The comic has even suffered when destro takes lead. Cc is the main character! So much of the marvel run, was about unveiling cc was once a normal man whose drive of hatred of America and greed launched an empire of terrorists and how about the tragedy of really one family affected by terrorism (snake-eyes.)

Hopefully they will scrap what they got and start over, Transformers was pretty but it had some huge story problems (where did barricade go? why did the movie star frenzy? why are gov. hackers so incapable of anything?) and the whole bumblebee in name hot shot in look/and act thing is another problem all together. JOe is shaping to be worse.

Im all for Parks playing Snake Eyes as long as he doesn't speak or show his face. As for Wayans playing Ripcord.... all I can say is what were they smoking when they decided that one. Seems like they picked the actor before having an actual role for him and just picked a low profile character name to give him.

As for the Pit the guy says in the interview we never knew where the Pit was, isn't that incorrect? I thought the location was always made clear to the readers????

Let's just hope they don't stick with that original script that was floating around for years . . . . Duke's buddy is turned into Cobra Commander by Destro.

beatdown_animation-1.gif

I've only got one thing to say drop Marlon Wayans or do not do a G.I. Joe movie. @grumpy@

If he is in the movie I simply won't go to see it.

I guess since Transformers was financially successful they may get their way again. I hated Transformers. They made Sam/Spike into a jerk. They even gave him Paris Hilton's dog as a pet! Bumblebee was Hot Shot with Tracks' voice.

He won't be Ripcord, I will just call him Ripoff instead. :angry:

from everything i have read this movie is going to suck . they took something so easy to do and are going to kill it just like TFs as it was a great action moive but not tru to the G1 TF or any of the TFs after that. the Joes have a perfect base allready. every one on the teams have great backgrounds . so thats what we should get true to the 80s joes. by this i mean stay ture to each person on joe and cobra. there traits, personally, role on the team and the race of each one. i would hate to see a white roadblock or a black ripcord its to far fetch. Its like giving the role of spirit to jet li . as the ground work and back grounds haave been laid down this way from the 80s till now.

GIVE US A TRUE G I JOE VS COBRA MOVIE WITH EVERTHING FROM THE 80S.

I don't intend this with disrespect, but honestly I just wish the fan community would STOP armchair quarterbacking this movie! Not for nothin', but this thing is so early in the development phase that changes will inevitably happen before we ever see an inch of celluloid, so let's collectively relax already.

Quarterbacking action figures...fine, but a movie?! Let's just end the madness people.

I don't intend this with disrespect, but honestly I just wish the fan community would STOP armchair quarterbacking this movie! Not for nothin', but this thing is so early in the development phase that changes will inevitably happen before we ever see an inch of celluloid, so let's collectively relax already.

Quarterbacking action figures...fine, but a movie?! Let's just end the madness people.

Not going to happen. They didn't listen to us in Transformers either. I'm sick of Hollywood changing major elements just because they feel they need to.

wow.. that producer is WAY out of touch with what people want to see in this movie.

Marlon Wayans.. okay.. I can take that he may be decent in a serious role... but the whole "he's Duke's best friend and he's always getting into trouble and Duke always has to bail him out" thing ruins it. That lone piece of info tells me that this movie is goind to be dogcrap.

They are not making a GiJoe movie, and I wish they would take the GiJoe name off of it.

Why?? sure, the fact that there is a movie being made that I will hate doesn't bother me... but this movie will become the face of GiJoe from now on. It will become the identity of all things Joe to ignorant people everwhere. It will even ruin the toys. Look at Transformers this year.. everything was about the movie... a bunch of ugly ass bots that look like alien insects.

If the Paramount wants to know how to do the characters, just ask Larry Hama, basically the father of Joe characters. He wrote the comics and the filecards... He is the one who created the things beyond the costumes. Ask Hama if he thinks its cool for Ripcord to be the team screw-up and the assclown of GiJoe? He'll say no!

In fact, there is no room for such a member on the team. The closest thing you have to a joker are Bazooka and Alpine... and they were no screw ups. Nobody on the Joe team needs to be constantly bailed out of trouble, they wouldn't be on a team of "highly trained" soldiers if they did.

anyhow.. this movie is going to be a joke.. but it will be successful because of stupid people who will go see it for the fancy explosions and ##$%$#ed jokes...

I am not saying that big explosions and jokes aren't part of GiJoe... but GiJoe is soooo much more, and its history should be respected.

I won't see it. I won't rent it. I will never pay a dime towards anything supporting that movie.

MAN YOUR SO RIGHT . TIME TO BOCOT THE JOE MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! @firedevil@

My official line has been "Wait 'till you actually SEE the movie!"

I don't know if I can even say THAT anymore.

Things went from looking not so good to down right laughable. I'll just say this ONE time in this ONE thread in case of the .01% chance that the movie is good so that it won't bite me in the @$$ too much-For all the reasons everyone else said, this does NOT look good..........

Its actually scheduled to start shooting in 5 weeks........so everything is pretty much set from a production point of view.

THANK YOU.......this is why I feel so strongly about this movie being the way it is. This movie will define GI Joe to the mass audience for a long time to come.

I think it's bloody ridiculous. I don't care if Wayans or most anyone else is cast in it. I just care if they're serious enough to recreating an ARAH vision. But it's that mythos that I want to see, the same one that sold the entire franchise during the '80s in the first place.

I'm a Democrat. I'm about as liberal as they come. And I've a lot of strong opinions against the US's current policies. But I want to see A Real AMERICAN Hero! Whether it was once a cheesy kid's cartoon or rewritten as a more "mature" action film, G.I. Joe represents all the best elements and principles of our military and the country -- teamwork, truth, justice, not giving up, and human freedom -- things that aren't political, things that should always be okay for people to believe in.

I know for half the US, and maybe more, it feels rather weird or even hypocritical to think about supporting such principles after the last 6 years. But keeping Joe a US team does not denigrate the spirit of international cooperation or its meaningfulness, at least in the way that making it international denigrates the US military (as strange as that might seem at first).

I kinda think the best thing they could for this movie would be to make it exactly like what the 25th toyline is to the original ARAH. No offense meant to the non-ARAH continuities but I'm not interested in a movie that isn't ARAH or "draws elements from throughout the history of GI Joe". I don't find all incarnations of GI Joe to have elements worth drawing from.

Heh. I'm not a fan of the "wait and see" approach, seeing as that worked oh so well for the production and director accepting input for the Transformers movie. :rolleyes: That's the same as the "oops too late to do anything about it now sucks to your ass-mar" approach. The last thing I wanna see is the Street Fighter movie all over again to the only remaining major icon of my childhood..