Marvel Legends??? What's a "Marvel Legend"????

Lemonhead

Pardon me while I pontificate...but I feel rejuvenated.

2007 was, IMO, such a let-down for collectors of MARVEL figures. Yes, yes, I know...many will disagree...and I REFUSE to argue the point...but le's just say that, for me, HASBRO's figures do not deliver the excitement that TOY-BIZ's did. Not even close..."Nuff said...

So I'm completely stoked by what MATTEL and DC are now doing with the DC UNIVERSE line! I avoided getting too heavily into MATTEL's DC figures for the last couple of years for the sake of my wallet...but now, with the new DC UNIVERSE line and the opening-up of the entire cast of DC characters...well let's just say I feel like a religious convert!

The fun is back! I'm even re-tracing my steps to find DC/MATTEL figures that I previously ignored on the pegs. My LEGENDs shelves have been cleared to make way for the DC UNI-figs.

I can't wait for WAVES 2 and 3...and I'm hoping MATTEL won't be stingy in February, and maybe we'll see a glimpse of WAVES 4 or 5 at TOY FAIR...

Please pardon my fan-boy geekdom, but...THANKS, DC and MATTEL!!!! ("You had me at ORION...")

#US1#

I'm really loving these figures too. I haven't gotten a full wave of marvel figures since the last TB wave came out. But the thing I love is that DC wave 3 is probably the most perfect wave of figures I've seen in some time (IMO). Not a bad figure in the wave. Hopefully this will be a wake up call to Hasbro regarding their ML line.

I'm feeling the same way also. I haven't bought a ML figure since HML 2, but even that was just one or two. The DCUC figures are amazing, and I am also kicking myself for not grabbing other DCSH, but oh well - they will all get made again at some point. I'm probably going to streamline my ML collection too and only keep 15 - 20. (I have ever character from TB Wave 1-15 and most of the FOs).

I'm also really liking the figure selections. They are doing some lesser known characters from Wave 1. I also like smaller figure counts per wave, but hope that it means new waves come out a bit more often. 4-5 waves a year would be perfect.

yeah they are better at the moment, but i still dotn like the hip joints, and it definatly hasnt brought back the fun into collecting....I walked into target and found a ton of these figs.....the fun im having and has me goign to stores rigth now is the 1 out of 500 marvel girl.

yeah they are better at the moment, but i still don't like the hip joints, and it defiantly hasn't brought back the fun into collecting....I walked into target and found a ton of these figs.....the fun im having and has me going to stores right now is the 1 out of 500 marvel girl.

I guess that is where I, at least, differ. The hunt is fun, but only to a certain degree. I don't have the time to drive to 10 different stores in one day like I did 8 or 9 years ago. I check a couple Wal-Marts, TRUs, or Targets a week if time permits and hope I find something. The real fun is in finding well made figures, releasing them from their plastic shells, and playing with them before I pose them on my shelves.

I've always hated variants, and don't want to put the time in hunting them down. Not happy that DCUC has variants either, but I guess it all depends on how easy or hard they are to find. I know that I will want the unmasked Slade and the classic Firestorm (I think thats the variant..).

I'm a Marvel guy, but Marvel Legends is just weak now.....you look at them and they just scream at you that they're kids toys, the older figures quite often made you feel like you were buying an adult collectible. Mattel is really knocking them out of the park these days and are now in a different universe than Marvel Legends.

just remember that this is mattel which is run by chimps! things could change badly at any moment! I'm kind of half expecting them to kill off the line due to "poor sales" before wave 2 hits!! :P

it definatly hasnt brought back the fun into collecting....I walked into target and found a ton of these figs.....

Nothing against you personally, but if, after all the hub-ub about Mattel NOT having good distribution, people start complaining about the new stuff being READILY avalible, I'm gonna barf.

You mean there's a chance I may actually FIND Aquaman and Hal Jordan? Oh my word!

To me there is no line between ML and the new DC stuff. They're super hero action figures. They're the same scale. They're super posable (for the most part). I can display DC with Marvel. To me that's awesome.

I can't name 5 Marvel characters that I still want to see made. I don't give a darn if Toy Biz makes them, or Hasbro, or even if the line ends tomorrow. All the great Marvels have been made. Can't wait to foccus on the great DCs.

Pardon me while I pontificate...but I feel rejuvenated.

2007 was, IMO, such a let-down for collectors of MARVEL figures. Yes, yes, I know...many will disagree...and I REFUSE to argue the point...but le's just say that, for me, HASBRO's figures do not deliver the excitement that TOY-BIZ's did. Not even close..."Nuff said...

So I'm completely stoked by what MATTEL and DC are now doing with the DC UNIVERSE line! I avoided getting too heavily into MATTEL's DC figures for the last couple of years for the sake of my wallet...but now, with the new DC UNIVERSE line and the opening-up of the entire cast of DC characters...well let's just say I feel like a religious convert!

The fun is back! I'm even re-tracing my steps to find DC/MATTEL figures that I previously ignored on the pegs. My LEGENDs shelves have been cleared to make way for the DC UNI-figs.

I can't wait for WAVES 2 and 3...and I'm hoping MATTEL won't be stingy in February, and maybe we'll see a glimpse of WAVES 4 or 5 at TOY FAIR...

Please pardon my fan-boy geekdom, but...THANKS, DC and MATTEL!!!! ("You had me at ORION...")

#US1#

I agree 100%. I am excited about figures again. First time since Hasbro took over legends (yes I still buy some marvel legends).

Dc Universe Rocks!

Well in Hasbros defense, whats left to make? Aside from a very few players, the marvel well has been tapped dry. Sure they can do rehashes and costume changes(which seem to be the order of the day), but an entirely new A list character just isnt going to happen very often anymore. Really aside from Adam Warlock and a few assorted X-men and Avengers they isnt much left. Plus alot of people seem to have a mad on for toybiz. Sloppy paint, cheap plastic and bad distribution just dont cut it much with me. Oh sure they had some reall winners, but an entire wave of garbage like the riders really burns me. Add in the impossible to get chases of all new characters, and Toybiz doesnt rank very high with me. Series 3 of the Hasbros was great, so I think their getting things together.

Now all of that said im a DC guy. Ive waited years for somone to make a decent DC line. I dont like DCD, for most of the same reasons I didnt care much for toybiz. Mattel has a winner on their hands, if they can keep this up. In case any of you forget, the Masters line started off with a bang, but they managed to kill that off quickly due to their utter ineptitude, plus it was also sculpted by the horsemen. Mattel has a serious track record of managing to kill an action figure line do to their own actions. Big Jim, Bravestarr, the original Masters, Naruto,...the list goes on and on. I can even argue the point that they dropped the ball on JLU, since we can never seem to find the new product, and they constantly force us to buy the big 7. Although I suppose the same can be said that this is one of the few lines they have done right, due to the sheer variety of figures. Say what you will about Hasbro, but they know how to market a boys action figure line. Gijoe has been made almost consitantly since the late 60's, Starwars has been going strong since the early 90's, TF has had an almost constant presence in the toyshelves since the 80's.

I really hope Mattel proves me wrong and doesnt screw this one up. The figures are bar none some of the best I have ever seen. The articulation is perfect to me, they move just fine without destoying the sculpt(some of the marvel figs have almost to much articulation). Now if Mattel can distribute the figures properly, make the chases not be impossible(somthing they failed yet again with on MOTU) and not add a Superman, Batman or Flash to every wave they can really keep this going for along time. DC has alot of characters im sure we would all love to see made. I imagine an 80's Perez titans wave and I get all giddy. Or a suicide squad themed wave, man how cool would that be. Mattel has the ball right now, lets see if they actually run with it this time, or fumble yet again.

While I agree that the DC Classics figures all look swell, they're all using the DCSH Batman or Superman body with certain details added.

I think Sinestro's head from wave 3 looks great, but his body is just too bulky for what Sinestro should really look like.

If anyone has a pic with all of wave 3 together, I'm really interested to see if Robin is in scale or if he was just another Superman body.

Don't get me wrong, the figure selection is great, the execution is a little blah. But then again, anything is better than more Alex Ross DCD.

Well in Hasbros defense, whats left to make? Aside from a very few players, the marvel well has been tapped dry. Sure they can do rehashes and costume changes(which seem to be the order of the day), but an entirely new A list character just isnt going to happen very often anymore. Really aside from Adam Warlock and a few assorted X-men and Avengers they isnt much left.

I profoundly disagree.

There are hundreds of potentially interesting characters that Hasbro/Marvel can tap for figure in the ML line. One has to consider that "interesting" doesn't mean just characters from 1990 on up.

Marvel goes back 40+ years ( for their Silver Age) and their loads of characters prior to 1990--and some fans need to guard their conceit that if the character has not been prominent in their lifetime, then its not been "prominent" or worthwhile at all.

For example:

The Squadron Supreme hasn't been tapped yet, neither has the Imperial Guard. Let's not forget Alpha Flight, Beta and Gamma Flights--and Power Pack, Thunderbolts Soviet Super-Soldiers, Inhumans, Eternals and SHIELD as well.

There's characters like the Human Fly, Nomad, Machine Man, Prowler, Stingray etc, and a host of villains from the Red Ghost and his Super Apes to the Shaper of Worlds.

I'd crap my pants for an Overmind figure.

Marvel Legends are more than Hulk/Spiderman/Captain America/Iron Man, Wolverine and there's a LOT of visually interesting characters out there.

The ML line combined from both Toybiz and Hasbro hasn't even come close to the variety of characters in Toybiz's long-running 5" scale lines--which were heavily X-men weighted.

Honestly, a lot of Marvel characters have different looks over time, Sandman wore a distinctive "costume" as one time, and Wonderman has had several different looks--just two examples.

I, for one, think Jesse Falcon had absolutely the right take on character selection during his tenure.

Sure, salting the lines with some mainstays now and then is a sensible idea, and judicious use of those characters with others that are more obscure, but no less interesting...........pffft, ML can go on for another couple dozen waves at least.

I mean, DC has there share of characters, but I think they tend to have far more obscure characters overall. Does anyone think Mattel will ever do a Human Target, Prez or Brother Power; the Geek figures?

Mattel has a serious track record of managing to kill an action figure line do to their own actions. Big Jim, Bravestarr, the original Masters, Naruto,...the list goes on and on.

Uh, you might care to look a bit deeper......

Big Jim, and Major Matt Mason were pretty successful toy-lines for their run, Big Jim in particular. It was FAR from badly managed, and actually lasted almost 10 years due to foreign spin-offs.

Since then, there was MOTU, so they have their share of hits too.

The thing you ARE correct on is that in the past 10-15 years, Mattel hasn't really been able to stay on top of a boys action figure line for more than couple of years at a time--the exception is Batman/DC superheroes. For the argument here though, the longevity they have has with the DC licenses, hamstrung as they have been up until recently, they've done quite well.

I do hope that their DC Universe line does really well, and is easy enough to find at retail

Personally, I've always wanted to do my own humungous Marvel vs DC display.....

Wow Arrow, you took two post to take a digg at me, thats almost a record for you.... @smilepunch@ . Just so you know oh great toy Guru, I have been collecting for a long time. I would wager a guess that I am on equal footing as far as these things are concerned.

What you named were a slew of B, C and F list heroes. Its not conciet to feel that obscure characters are not A listers, its called reality. I clearly stated that Hasbro was just about out of A list characters. While I dont argue the fact that Marvel has a wealth of older obscure characters to choose from, children will not buy them. If the kids dont know the character, Hasbro wont make it, or if they do it will be next to characters they do know(and has already hit the plastic before). I grew up in the 80's, but I know alot of characters I enjoyed just wont get the plastic treatment(I want a Beyonder badly, but I doupt we will ever see one). Add in the fact that the current sculptors/designers are most probally my age or younger, they wont go into the real old time characters. Ask a child who the Squadron Supreme are, and I would bet you would get a blank look. While I myself would die for a Squadron, Alpha Flight or hell even the Wrecking Crew, non of them aside from maybe Hyperion or Guardian are A list Heroes. At best I hope for a few to hit the shelves. As I said, we will see alot more rehashes of characters in different costumes, but they are still a redo. There is a limit to what can be made before they are forced to redo older figures. Nothing wrong with that, just the way the industry works.

As for DC lacking Depth, I disagree. Marvel has always had a lot of heroes, but really lacks alot of great Villians. Oh they have their Dr Dooms, Magnetos, Red Skulls as well a few others, but not alot more big time villians. DC has a lot more big Villians then Heroes (which is probally because of all of the DC cartoons over the years, people know these characters), which in its own way might prove to be a problem down the road. As I can see alot of rehashes of the heroes to just keep up. Although at this point its apples to oranges, DC has just started while marvel has somthing like 20 waves under their belt. And Jesse was a huge saving grace Toybiz had on the marvel line. He knew how to pick characters. A few obscue with at least one or two A listers every wave. And those first build a figs were out of sight. Nothing so far comes close to Giant Man or Galactus for me.

For the record Big Jim was not that successful in the United States. Big Jim was a poor mans adventure team or Action Jackson. Have you ever seen Mattel attempt to remake Jim? The closest was Max Steel, a poor mans Action Man(although action man has flopped in the States every time it comes over). I admit I dont know how big Major Matt was in the 60's, but the toyline is nothing but a foot note today. And while MOTU was a huge hit, massive really, easily as big a GI Joe in its heyday. Mattel being Mattel bunggled it not once, not twice but three times. A shame really as each line had huge potential. Mattel knows how to make and market Girls toys (Barbie has been the number one selling doll for what, almost 50 years), and little cars. I bet hotwheels sell more then any action figure line, I would wager they sell better then most lines combined. I dont deny that Mattel knows toys, but they dont understand the action figure market. They seem to dumb down things thinking kids are stupid, I have never understood that mentality.

I could easily continue this for a long time but enough for now. If you want to PM me go ahead, I dont mind continuing this in private.

It is certain that the DCSH figures podrian to be the best thing of the 2008, but, if not to increase the diversity of models when they make the figures and they as much repeat the fisics models you would lost attractive for which we enjoyed the diversity, I I feel that Marvel Legends already this happening through you complete stages before the end, with its models every time of smaller quality in all the compared aspects and their shortage of attractive with the ToyBiz, but if DCSH also does not offer diversity in the desings then did not take much in extinguishing itself.

MATTEL PLEASE!!!!!, BETTER YOUR DISTRIBUTION A FOREIGNS MARKETS!!!!

I wonder if the 80's nostalgia will help the DCUC line. Super Powers was a big hit the same time of GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, He-Man, etc...

I just hope the do more classic stuff. I like the Wave 3 Robin and Nightwing, but I would have preferred a more classic Robin to go with Wave 1 Batman - at least for now. I am happy to know that classic Red Tornado became the regular version and I believe classic Aquaman is also - I just hope they make Classic Firestorm the regular version too and not the variant. Or do a 50/50 split like Superman Red/Blue, which wouldn't be a bad way to do slight retools from classic to modern characters.

And on a side note - I'm kicking myself for not grabbing any of the DCSH, but Black/Grey Batman. I didn't see many (and most only once) and figures it would die out. And now I'm Jonesing for the Lex Luthor, Brianiac, Darkseid, etc.. Oh well - live and learn.

Well in Hasbros defense, whats left to make? Aside from a very few players, the marvel well has been tapped dry. Sure they can do rehashes and costume changes(which seem to be the order of the day), but an entirely new A list character just isnt going to happen very often anymore. Really aside from Adam Warlock and a few assorted X-men and Avengers they isnt much left. Plus alot of people seem to have a mad on for toybiz. Sloppy paint, cheap plastic and bad distribution just dont cut it much with me. Oh sure they had some reall winners, but an entire wave of garbage like the riders really burns me. Add in the impossible to get chases of all new characters, and Toybiz doesnt rank very high with me. Series 3 of the Hasbros was great, so I think their getting things together.

Now all of that said im a DC guy. Ive waited years for somone to make a decent DC line. I dont like DCD, for most of the same reasons I didnt care much for toybiz. Mattel has a winner on their hands, if they can keep this up. In case any of you forget, the Masters line started off with a bang, but they managed to kill that off quickly due to their utter ineptitude, plus it was also sculpted by the horsemen. Mattel has a serious track record of managing to kill an action figure line do to their own actions. Big Jim, Bravestarr, the original Masters, Naruto,...the list goes on and on. I can even argue the point that they dropped the ball on JLU, since we can never seem to find the new product, and they constantly force us to buy the big 7. Although I suppose the same can be said that this is one of the few lines they have done right, due to the sheer variety of figures. Say what you will about Hasbro, but they know how to market a boys action figure line. Gijoe has been made almost consitantly since the late 60's, Starwars has been going strong since the early 90's, TF has had an almost constant presence in the toyshelves since the 80's.

I really hope Mattel proves me wrong and doesnt screw this one up. The figures are bar none some of the best I have ever seen. The articulation is perfect to me, they move just fine without destoying the sculpt(some of the marvel figs have almost to much articulation). Now if Mattel can distribute the figures properly, make the chases not be impossible(somthing they failed yet again with on MOTU) and not add a Superman, Batman or Flash to every wave they can really keep this going for along time. DC has alot of characters im sure we would all love to see made. I imagine an 80's Perez titans wave and I get all giddy. Or a suicide squad themed wave, man how cool would that be. Mattel has the ball right now, lets see if they actually run with it this time, or fumble yet again.

where can Hasbro go??? well, they can start off by making a good figure for Marvel.. that would be a good start. their Marvel figures have been nothing short of terrible. But, there are PLENTY of great characters to make. If you think Adam Warlock is one of the most prominent characters left to be made, then you are out of touch with the current world of Marvel. Like Arrow says, there are many, many, characters and even titles that have been untouched.

as for Hasbro, yeah, they make a lot of figures.. But until the 25th anniversay line this year, they hadn't made a decent Joe sculpt since RAH. Transformers seems to run its course every year, they haven't given fans a consistent TF line since G1 in the 80's.

bottom line, Hasbro has been cashing in on their glory of the 80's for 15 years... Star Wars remains their only impressive toyline.

as for Mattel.. I also worry that they will kill the line like they did the MOTU relaunch... mostly with poor case ratios.

anyhow.. I like the DCU line. I am not crazy about the hip joints, and their figures have limited motion compared to Toybis figures.. but at least they don't have UGLY joints like Hasbro's Marvel figures have.

I look forward to collecting the DCU line... and I have pretty much given up on Marvel Legends.

where can Hasbro go??? well, they can start off by making a good figure for Marvel.. that would be a good start. their Marvel figures have been nothing short of terrible. But, there are PLENTY of great characters to make. If you think Adam Warlock is one of the most prominent characters left to be made, then you are out of touch with the current world of Marvel. Like Arrow says, there are many, many, characters and even titles that have been untouched.

as for Hasbro, yeah, they make a lot of figures.. But until the 25th anniversay line this year, they hadn't made a decent Joe sculpt since RAH. Transformers seems to run its course every year, they haven't given fans a consistent TF line since G1 in the 80's.

bottom line, Hasbro has been cashing in on their glory of the 80's for 15 years... Star Wars remains their only impressive toyline.

as for Mattel.. I also worry that they will kill the line like they did the MOTU relaunch... mostly with poor case ratios.

anyhow.. I like the DCU line. I am not crazy about the hip joints, and their figures have limited motion compared to Toybis figures.. but at least they don't have UGLY joints like Hasbro's Marvel figures have.

I look forward to collecting the DCU line... and I have pretty much given up on Marvel Legends.

Name the mainstream characters that have yet to be touched. Go ahead, what characters that kids today would reconize have yet to be made into a legend type figure. Warlock was just an example, he is by no means mainstream. I might consider him a top character, but im sure many others will simply see him as a minor nobody. What is left are secondary characters, and for the record I am "in touch" with current marvel. Your anti Hasbro Clam, ive read your post, its cool, thats your deal. I happen to like Hasbro toys, but thats my deal. No big that I didnt like Toybiz and you did. Thats the great thing about a board like this, we can disagree and debate (as long as things dont start getting nasty or flaming).

I think wave 3 was about even with nearly anything toybiz put out(except I hate movie characters, real drag on those). The fantastic four wave also had some great figs(although I agree with you that Namor was a pile of it). Hasbro is getting better, and to me thats all that matters. I have yet to have a Hasbro fig break out of the case, ive had several toybiz figs break on me. While they are lacking paint apps at least the joints move freely and the paint is nice. Nothing sloppy, nothing dirty looking. Me and you differ on articulation, I only need enough to pose the figure without it looking like a drawing dummy. Ugly joints killed alot of great sculpts at toybiz.

But back to the bigger picture, Marvel is about tapped out on main characters. Dont get me wrong, DC will be too after 20 waves of figures. Thats just the way things go. I mean we can name secondary and minor characters all night long. But most of the A list characters have at least one version out there.

As for living off the 80's, hell hasbro is living off the 60's and 70's as well. Really what new toy was created in the last ten years that has stayed around. Anime toys are about the only thing, again the sad fact of life i suppose. And while you might not have liked the VvsV joes, kids sure did. We got two movies and a long toyline out of that. Okay it was crap, but you and me arent the market. Its the rugrats we navigate around in the toy isle that matter. Without them we would be on here debating cross stitch vs needle point...lol.

I just hope the do more classic stuff. I like the Wave 3 Robin and Nightwing, but I would have preferred a more classic Robin to go with Wave 1 Batman - at least for now. I am happy to know that classic Red Tornado became the regular version and I believe classic Aquaman is also - I just hope they make Classic Firestorm the regular version too and not the variant. Or do a 50/50 split like Superman Red/Blue, which wouldn't be a bad way to do slight retools from classic to modern characters.

I agree - we need a classic Robin for sure. The series is called DCU Classics so I too hope that remains their focus. I need me some classics. The "Modern" guys are cool and I will get them too, but if I missed out on one b/c it was a variant I would live.

And on a side note - I'm kicking myself for not grabbing any of the DCSH, but Black/Grey Batman. I didn't see many (and most only once) and figures it would die out. And now I'm Jonesing for the Lex Luthor, Brianiac, Darkseid, etc.. Oh well - live and learn.

I too wish I had gotten more - I did get a couple of them and don't feel like I need all of them so I don't have too much backtracking to do.

DCUC Series 2 can't come soon enough.