What, what, what!!!!!!!!!

Dreadnok619

But Tranformers, which is the most related to GiJoe, was far from a great film. I enjoyed it, no doubt, but not because it was a Transformers film. It was enjoyable, but it was NOT the Transformers.

Transformers would have been exactly the same movie if they changed the title and the names of the characters. It was LOOSELY based on the Transformers concept, yet captured NONE of the feelings of the original characters.

I never heard anybody say they liked the movie because it was about Transformers. We liked it because it had big robots blowing stuff up.

Off-topic: But isn't that what transformers is about, fighting, transforming, blowing stuff up? I can understand if people didn't like the film, but all this "it wasn't transformers" doesn't make any sense to me; it's not like any of the g1 characters were so fleshed-out that the movie-makers had a lot to go on..

I mean, I think, bottom line, it was transformers bc hasbro said it was transformers. One may not like it, but it's still transformers.

robots fighting, transforming, and blowing stuff up is ALL that transformers are? The characters were never fleshed out?

hmm

the original Marvel run ran 80 issues, plus annuals and miniseries.

there are a total of 56 different Transformers comic series.

the original cartoon went for something like 135 episodes, plus the Movie.

plus other G1 series that I don't recall... plus many series after G1 that remained faitfhul to their G1 characteristics.

but yeah.. I guess you are right.. the characters never were very fleshed-out @rolleye@

Off-topic: But isn't that what transformers is about, fighting, transforming, blowing stuff up? I can understand if people didn't like the film, but all this "it wasn't transformers" doesn't make any sense to me; it's not like any of the g1 characters were so fleshed-out that the movie-makers had a lot to go on..

I mean, I think, bottom line, it was transformers bc hasbro said it was transformers. One may not like it, but it's still transformers.

No, you're not off-topic, you've boiled this down to its very essence.

GIJOE is good guys versus bad guys..........there's VERY LITTLE depth in that.

Oh.......what's the the angry chorus crying out??

"Larry Hama's writing in the comics had depth"

ROTFLMAO!

I'm sorry, but that just really makes me roll my eyes.

The comics are one of THREE sources of material for the movie, the toys and cartoons being they other.

ALL of them were written for children, and as such have very shallow simplified characterization and often silly plots.The "realism" people remember is all the tech-speak tossed about to make it appear that the creators knew what they were talking about. How many kids are going to know the difference between a bound over-watch and a flanking position anyway? Its just sounds like the "real stuff, but most of the stories were centred around the flamboyant characters and often really flimsy schemes (--taking over a whole town is realistic??)

There's really not much depth to plumb off that material......so someone has to come along and add to it.

This is where the infamous "changes that rape childhoods" happen.

Transformers was smack on to a tee, for the core concept of the toys. The cartoon is IRRELEVANT in terms of continuity with the movie--yet anal-retentive fans bitched like it was locked-in canon. Who cares if its "not how they remember it"--because its NOT that thing they remember.

Same thing with GIJOE.

Aside from some commericals, GIJOE has never been done in live-action form before. Just as the comics, and the cartoons are very different from one another, this movie will be different from the other two.

I mean, to make GIJOE "just like the comics" you could have all of the characters describe the performance specs and attributes of their weapons as they fire them, cagely working it into their everyday speak and battle-gab--BECAUSE THAT WAS IN THE COMICS!

We can have COBRA using giant, badly designed walking machines that come out of the ocean, or having the Joes team up with magical leprechauns...........because that happened as well in the comics and the cartoons too!

Hey, let's bring in Bongo the Balloon Bear and the White Clown for the rest of the world to enjoy too!!!

But oh no........the fans would decry all of that as silly. They want GIJOE to be SERIOUS!

Which means shooting, fighting, and dying.........but GIJOE had a lot of bad shots, some pretty dumb fighting ( they used lasers) and how many characters died over the years?

10? And they were all Joes? No COBRA ever died in a firefight with the "highly trained special mission force"??

No, no, no the fans sputter and kavetch: they want REALISM. They want military tactics, they want gunshot wounds, high tech gear, real-life peril and danger.

Hey, there's movies that fill that bill BETTER than GIJOE ever will: Navy SEALS, Black Hawk Down, Final Option, Tears of the Sun, and so on.

If fans what the above, they do NOT want a GIJOE film...

Why not just dub in the names of the Joes you like and digitally superimpose a COBRA COMMANDER face on some bad guy and ....

NO, NO, NO the fans scream, they want Snake-eyes doing his NINJA sword-swinging stuff against Stormshadow, perhaps in some dangerous setting like swinging off scaffolding on the side of a building, while COBRA Commander ( in his hood, with Chris Latta's voice screaming) and DESTRO ready to trigger some exotic bomb that wipes out all the gold in Fort Knox and............

But that's not real.....just what the hell do the fans want???

GIJOE has never depicted realistic military stuff--its a military fantasy.

Its chief opponent isn't a scary guy in any sense, he wears a hood, makes his army dresss in a snake motif, his number 2 guy wears a silver mask and what looks like black leather bondage gear. They use big dumb wholly impractical machines to do the job that normal weapons could do better--but their designs are used because they "describe" COBRA better.

The GIJOE team fields soldiers that all wear different clothing, and use very different weapns from each other. Some of them go into battle with brightly coloured clothing on their person.

And based on the beloved cartoon, every last one of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

And fans DON'T want changes???

Whats it gonna be?

Serious with necessary changes to reflect it, or just like the stuff before and full of silliness??

As for Marlon Waynes being cast, wasn't there a goofy guy who played the head of Section Seven in Transformers also the same guy that played a serious role in The Good Sheperd??

I mean, its not like a comedic actor cannot do serious acting......

robots fighting, transforming, and blowing stuff up is ALL that transformers are? The characters were never fleshed out?

hmm

plus other G1 series that I don't recall... plus many series after G1 that remained faitfhul to their G1 characteristics.

but yeah.. I guess you are right.. the characters never were very fleshed-out @rolleye@

The comic versions may have had a bit more depth, but to say that their cartoon counterparts were anything more than cardboard cutouts of characters is laughable.

And I agree Arrow; one really can't have it both ways, and I'm glad that the transformers movie makers went in the direction they did. Hopefully the makers of this gijoe film will do the same.

For one........I have never really sat down and read the entire Marvel run......My GI Joe experience growing up was the cartoon/comics here and there/toys.......I did read almost everything DD put out just cause I was grown and could control what I got. So from that perspective I could care less if its exactly like the comic.........

When I said "Serious" and "GI Joe Movie" I didn't mean people dying and want not.....HMMMMM....How to explain this????

Basically I wish that the movie writers/directors/producers could take everything GI Joe (except some 2002-2005 stuff @smilepunch@ ).....dump it into a blender and BAM!!! GI Joe the movie to kick all forms of ass!!!!

I just want them to take the SOURCE MATERIAL seriously when they are putting together this film.....thats all. Respect GI Joe's history......cartoon/comic/file cards/toys.......and put together something that all of us will find cool. (I'm talking strictly 80's Joe here, 12inchers don't be mad about Joe's history, I'm familiar, but my GI Joe was all 3 3/4)

The enviornment and overall look is also going to be HUGE with this film and it has to fit in with the characters.......something like Sin City.....if you took those people in that movie and put them in realistic enviornments it would have looked stupid as hell. Its going to be tough IMO.....

I think it would kick ass if they really put some effort in this film and did it so you don't really know if it is supposed to be taking place now or the early 80s (kind of like how the early Batman movies were sort of a merge between the late 80s and the 40s). For example, have the characters (including civilians) wearing 80s styled clothing and hair styles have 80s cars and vehicles on the road. Put some 80s action music like the music from the cartoons in it. I think that would be really cool and artistic. That would never happen though.

Now that Heavy Duty is officially in the movie, it's already a stinker imo.

For example, have the characters (including civilians) wearing 80s styled clothing and hair styles have 80s cars and vehicles on the road. Put some 80s action music like the music from the cartoons in it. I think that would be really cool and artistic. That would never happen though.

Seek out the movie Megaforce, starring Barry Bostwick and you'll get your GIJOE dose with some 80's style.

The thing is so dumb its a scream to watch, but its pretty much a "GIJOE" cartoon in live-action.

ROTFLMAO!

The comics are one of THREE sources of material for the movie, the toys and cartoons being they other.

ALL of them were written for children, and as such have very shallow simplified characterization and often silly plots.The "realism" people remember is all the tech-speak tossed about to make it appear that the creators knew what they were talking about. How many kids are going to know the difference between a bound over-watch and a flanking position anyway? Its just sounds like the "real stuff, but most of the stories were centred around the flamboyant characters and often really flimsy schemes (--taking over a whole town is realistic??)

There's really not much depth to plumb off that material......so someone has to come along and add to it.

Transformers was smack on to a tee, for the core concept of the toys. The cartoon is IRRELEVANT in terms of continuity with the movie--yet anal-retentive fans bitched like it was locked-in canon. Who cares if its "not how they remember it"--because its NOT that thing they remember.

Same thing with GIJOE.

Aside from some commericals, GIJOE has never been done in live-action form before. Just as the comics, and the cartoons are very different from one another, this movie will be different from the other two.

I mean, to make GIJOE "just like the comics" you could have all of the characters describe the performance specs and attributes of their weapons as they fire them, cagely working it into their everyday speak and battle-gab--BECAUSE THAT WAS IN THE COMICS!

We can have COBRA using giant, badly designed walking machines that come out of the ocean, or having the Joes team up with magical leprechauns...........because that happened as well in the comics and the cartoons too!

Hey, let's bring in Bongo the Balloon Bear and the White Clown for the rest of the world to enjoy too!!!

But oh no........the fans would decry all of that as silly. They want GIJOE to be SERIOUS!

Which means shooting, fighting, and dying.........but GIJOE had a lot of bad shots, some pretty dumb fighting ( they used lasers) and how many characters died over the years?

10? And they were all Joes? No COBRA ever died in a firefight with the "highly trained special mission force"??

No, no, no the fans sputter and kavetch: they want REALISM. They want military tactics, they want gunshot wounds, high tech gear, real-life peril and danger.

Hey, there's movies that fill that bill BETTER than GIJOE ever will: Navy SEALS, Black Hawk Down, Final Option, Tears of the Sun, and so on.

Why not just dub in the names of the Joes you like and digitally superimpose a COBRA COMMANDER face on some bad guy and ....

NO, NO, NO the fans scream, they want Snake-eyes doing his NINJA sword-swinging stuff against Stormshadow, perhaps in some dangerous setting like swinging off scaffolding on the side of a building, while COBRA Commander ( in his hood, with Chris Latta's voice screaming) and DESTRO ready to trigger some exotic bomb that wipes out all the gold in Fort Knox and............

Its chief opponent isn't a scary guy in any sense, he wears a hood, makes his army dresss in a snake motif, his number 2 guy wears a silver mask and what looks like black leather bondage gear. They use big dumb wholly impractical machines to do the job that normal weapons could do better--but their designs are used because they "describe" COBRA better.

The GIJOE team fields soldiers that all wear different clothing, and use very different weapns from each other. Some of them go into battle with brightly coloured clothing on their person.

And based on the beloved cartoon, every last one of them couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.

Whats it gonna be?

Serious with necessary changes to reflect it, or just like the stuff before and full of silliness??

As for Marlon Waynes being cast, wasn't there a goofy guy who played the head of Section Seven in Transformers also the same guy that played a serious role in The Good Sheperd??

Ken.. really, this is one of the worst arguments I have ever heard from you.... and the first in a long time that I think is pretty rediculous.

there will be changes from the cartoon and comic... no characters would never have thought bubbles over their head and crap like that... and the plot should be something serious.. But the characters should remain the same, or what is the point in making a GiJoe movie?

If you think the movie Transformers nailed the characters of the Transformers franchise.. I guess I don't really count anything else you say as serious.

hmm

The comic versions may have had a bit more depth, but to say that their cartoon counterparts were anything more than cardboard cutouts of characters is laughable.

And I agree Arrow; one really can't have it both ways, and I'm glad that the transformers movie makers went in the direction they did. Hopefully the makers of this gijoe film will do the same.

I'm just guessing that you are NOT really a fan of Transformers or GiJoe then.

hmm

I'm just guessing that you are NOT really a fan of Transformers or GiJoe then.

Yea, since we disagree, it must be bc I'm not a "troo fan".. @rolleye@

I don't care how many episodes or comics these characters were in, my point still stands; but in saying that, it doesn't mean I don't like those characters/episodes. You can like something while still being aware of its flaws.

ROTFLMAO!

Same thing with GIJOE.

Whats it gonna be?

I have to agree 100 percent with this and I am a huge snake eyes fan...how is snake eyes supposed to be realistic. or even storm shadow...THEY'RE NINJAS!!!

Devils Due tried a modern day update to the gi joe story with the old characters viewed in modern ways...it was called Reloaded...you all remember that right? it wasnt pretty, but at its core, it was still GIJOE. "highly trained special missions force"fighting evil.

To think that the original comics were completely realistic is hilarious. ninjas, serpentor, destro's helmet, trouble bubbles, lasers, terror domes,androids, cobra island and best of all the brainwave scanner. I am not knocking it though, I loved all of those things and still do.

and as for the "you must not be a real fan" attack. I am 30 years old, read comics, collect action figures, gi joe and transformers among many others. I am a real fan, and I consider everyone on here as much of a fan as myself regardless of whether I agree with them or not. I loved the new transformers movie and find the 80's movie painful to watch. I am still a fan regardless. and so are all of you I like to think. I have read every issue of the marvel run and all of the devils due. own them all as well. same goes for transformers. I have watched every episode of the cartoon as well

One last thing before I go back to lurking and listening to my fellow geeks bicker. @pow@

I am just as worried as anyone about marlon wayons, but 10 years ago no one would have taken jamie fox seriously, now he has oscars.

Cant all the geeks get along : :huh:;):D

I'll wait until Hasbro has officially announced it before I start heavily ranting, but I'll give a brief overview of my thoughts on this

WAYNES AS RIPCORD?!?!?!?!?! WTH!?!?!

However, this version of Joe is supposed to be more international as far as its membership goes, so if they change a few of the minor characters I won't gripe to much, heck isn't the guy playing Breaker of Asian decent? Last I checked Breaker was American, so that being said I guess I won't be to miffed about it as long as Waynes does a good job of portraying him.

They better not change any of the major characters though, SE, Duke, Scarlett=white etc. Stalker, Roadblock=black etc.

If you think the movie Transformers nailed the characters of the Transformers franchise.. I guess I don't really count anything else you say as serious

Yea, actually, I do...based on my limited exposure to things Transformers. Optimus Prime comes across as the same kind of leader as he was in the original cartoons, in Beast Wars, and in the movie, same thing with Megatron.

Bumblebee is the "cute" bot, and Starscream is the nasty conniving backstabber........was there anything inconsistent with that in the movies--because I see those character traits going all the way back???

My argument here is that if fans want to crystalize their memories into cinematic form and have GIJOE "as they remember it" then they'd better go back and take a hard look at it as it really was.

It was buckets full of dumb--there's no two ways about it.

The same argument was put in front of TF fans and they just kept blindly ranting along, entrenched in their notion that if its "not G1, its NOT Transformers". This is why guys like Michael Bay mocked the fans, and grew pointedly frustrated with them--fannish annal-retention knows no bounds.

I know they are going to change things, I'm arguing in favour of that because there's not a whole lot to build off of. Honestly, they could get it "right" or they could hand us another Catwoman.

I'm telling people to keep an open mind.

I never really enjoyed the comics, or the cartoons, mostly because I was an an adult when they all appeared, and I found them aimed squarely at children. I did enjoy the toys though as an adult collector mostly because of the designs of them--but I held no pretenses of their "realism".