Why does Wal-Mart hate DC?

muppethost

Every time I go into a Wal-Mart lately (granted, that's NOT often) I NEVER find any DC product! Okay, I take that back...I have found some of the Super Friends toys there, but no JLU, no DC Super-Heroes or DC Universe Classic, nothing. Is there some reason that Wal-Mart's exceptionally large aisles are half empty, and the other half overly littered with Spider-Man toys? What did Mattel do to p-o Sam Walton?

Well, while I agree with you on no liking the complete lack of DC superhero figures in Wal-Mart, I think it's more a regional thing than a company-wide decision. From what I read and learned from WM employees, each store has the capacity to order their own product, so if it's your local WM not having it than I think you should pester the toy section manager. That being said, I'm in the same boat as you are. DC superhero figures are tough to find near me, save for one TRU which is still pretty empty. I think it's important to demonstrate for WM's that this product will sell so they will open up shelf space. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep buying cases.

Christmas was five days ago; the stores aren't going to do a lot of heavy ordering now anyway. Another reason may be that Universe is considered a separate line from DCSH, so it may take a little while for them to start trickling in. I read around January, we should start seeing more DC figures.

Well, while I agree with you on no liking the complete lack of DC superhero figures in Wal-Mart, I think it's more a regional thing than a company-wide decision. From what I read and learned from WM employees, each store has the capacity to order their own product, so if it's your local WM not having it than I think you should pester the toy section manager. That being said, I'm in the same boat as you are. DC superhero figures are tough to find near me, save for one TRU which is still pretty empty. I think it's important to demonstrate for WM's that this product will sell so they will open up shelf space. Otherwise I'm just gonna keep buying cases.

That's not exactly true. Our modulars are set by regional managers (who decide what we will and will not carry), store level managers can decide to order however much they like (ie, order an extra case of figures instead of waiting for the auto replenish for example. Last year, my toy manager HUGELY overorderd Transformers Classics, had a freakin' riser full, so much we never got Ramjet or Cliffjumper.).

Unless the manager has some real initiative (not very likely, regardless the amount of pestering), you are unlikely to get anything changed to modular.

That said...some trends and recent things I've noticed at my store (which is the only department store in our town, which is a military town with a fairly small population):

-The Batman has reappeared (we haven't carried the line in over year, but looks like it is coming back this spring, like because of the movie)

-Naruto has reappeared (clearanced last fall)

-And for the past two years, I've seen this same trend with toys: After Christmas, LOTS of lines are carried, January to July have probably the greatest variety in the lines we carry. DC Superheroes are seemingly a "slow time line" here, it came in after Christmas in 06, clearanced the fall before Christmas. Reappeared after last Christmas, got clearanced last fall.

And with the less than steller performance of Marvel Legends this year (we have the same 9 figures on the shelves as we did in September, I kid you not. Even with Christmas we still have the same batch of Banshee, White Queen, and Hercules figures on the pegs), I think Walmart may be willing to give DC another solid shot.

Plus Mattel has some leverage with the Dark Knight and Speed Racer lines coming this summer.

Christmas was five days ago; the stores aren't going to do a lot of heavy ordering now anyway. Another reason may be that Universe is considered a separate line from DCSH, so it may take a little while for them to start trickling in. I read around January, we should start seeing more DC figures.

I'm not just talking about right now...this lack of DC product has been going on for over a year. Yes, Christmas just ended and almost every store is gearing up for end-of-the-year inventory. Many store shelves are empty right now. I have just noticed that Wal-Mart in particular has been depressingly short of ANYTHING Batman or Superman related for a very long time. It concerns me because I keep hearing how Wal-Mart is this big, evil corporation that can make or break a toy line (or a toy company) if they don't order the product. If that truly is the case, is Mattel in trouble or will this spell the end of DC toys as we know them?

As far as it being a regional thing, over the past year I have searched for DC toys at Wal-Marts in New York, New Jersey, Minnesota, Illinois and California and have had NO luck at any of them. And, again, I'm talking about looking for these toys throughout the year, not just recently or from September on. All year long.

This is just something I have noticed and wanted to see what other DC toy collectors thought about it. Normally, I buy my toys at Target, Toys R Us or K-Mart or on-line (notably at BBTS). I go to WM as often as I can, but always leave empty handed, not because I hate them or disagree with their policies (which, btw, I'm not overly fond of what I have heard about them), but really because I can't find anything there.

Hope that clarifies my question some.

Walmart will not be carrying DCUC until sales from the first couple waves prove to be good enough to warrant carrying the line. WM will be carrying the Batman line and both TDK movie lines 6 and 5 inch. For WM the jury is still out on DCUC and DCUC 3inch fighting figures.

Wal-Mart cancelled DC SuperHeroes, and the JLU line but kept The Batman and Batman movie crap and apparently the Super Friends. It really is ridiculous considering they ate all that Pirate of the Carribean crap and those non poseable MLB figures, my local WalMArt is stacked with crap that won't sell or move. It is crazy because all previous DC Superhero lines sold out FAST. Its actually the Marvel Legends that kept shelf time and then WalMart is forced to ship them to different stores and regions to get them to move and sometimes at the discount price of 5 bucks, or at least the last couple Toybiz lines. Legends wave one from Hasbro is also staying on the shelf and some of wave 2. screw WalMArt

For someone that lives and works near 4 walmarts the lack of DC product is terrible. But true, they do seem to have a ton of spider-garbage sitting on shelves and not one JLU figure. At least they still have the Batman animated figures, good luck with a GL figure and if anyone has an extra one, send it my way.

walmart carried dcsh and jlu for a few months but didnt sell very well.....they always have the batman figures.....i think they only carry something that has a cartoon or $$/demand to carry it. I remember my walmrt had like 5 kal-els, and 6 supermans just hanging here for days.

Wal-Mart just hates everything thats doesn't sell in a week!