Random Cartoon Question Re: Stalker

Sgt. Rocco

Happy Boxing Day, All,

I was looking at my 25th Stalker fig today, and got to wondering if Stalker ever did anything in the cartoon other than fly around in a jet pack in the credits. I didn't have a copy of "The M.A.S.S. Device" handy to check, but I figured someone here would know.

In the Sunbow, did he ever even speak, let alone get a feature? And, if so, what was he like? Did he come off as being at all in a higher ranking position than anyone else?

Hope Christmas treated everyone well!

R

Stalker definitely came across as Second-In-Command in the MASS Device, and had a number of scenes in that mini-series. He, along with Snake-Eyes and Scarlett make a successful infiltration of the Satelitte base at Duke's behest.

Kinda interesting how these three were, even this early, easily identified as the top three Joes from 1982, starring alongside the more individualized 1983 Joes like Tripwire, Gung-Ho, and Duke.

One thing to remember is by the time the Sunbow cartoon really took off, there were a few more newer waves of figures that had come out, and Hasbro was looking at using the cartoon as a commercial for their toys, so most of the original thirteen didn't get a whole lot of airtime after the first miniseries... Heck, Hawk got none until '86.

Stalker definitely came across as Second-In-Command in the MASS Device, and had a number of scenes in that mini-series. He, along with Snake-Eyes and Scarlett make a successful infiltration of the Satelitte base at Duke's behest.

Kinda interesting how these three were, even this early, easily identified as the top three Joes from 1982, starring alongside the more individualized 1983 Joes like Tripwire, Gung-Ho, and Duke.

Thanks for the info, I definitely need to watch that one again now. I love that and Revenge of Cobra anyhow.

I wonder if things would have taken off if the cartoon had started a year earlier with the original 13 who were so hard to tell apart.

One thing to remember is by the time the Sunbow cartoon really took off, there were a few more newer waves of figures that had come out, and Hasbro was looking at using the cartoon as a commercial for their toys, so most of the original thirteen didn't get a whole lot of airtime after the first miniseries... Heck, Hawk got none until '86.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you at all, but the phrase, "Hasbro was looking at using the cartoon as a commercial" always rankles me. Perhaps Hasbro proper looked at the cartoon simply as a commercial in which they could advertise their toys, but the love and care that the 80's Joe mythos was given by guys like Larry Hama, is really what made these little hunks of plastic and cartoon celluloid come to life for me. Hasbro put out the product, but they didn't give the series its heart and soul.