WM Listings?: Nemesis Enforcer, Copperhead, Tripwire, Red Star

Glue

I look forward to Falcon. Nemesis Enforcer being listed is interesting seeing as how this is a comic pack. I wonder how Larry will write him into the comic continuity? Red tar is another interesting pic. Why not go with one of the bigger name guys from the comics? I suppose they didn't feel like having to draw up new card art while with Red Star they can just do a little photoshopping.

Seeing as how the original '80s version sucked for every 25th figure, which looks amazing, I can't see any downside. ^_^

If you're gonna start with troll comments like that, expect some "stupid noob" comments in return... @hmmm@

So wait.. he listingly bashed, item by item, either the characters or the figures

torm Shadow and Firefly? Yawn.

Shipwreck vs Copperhead: I hope they at LEAST do something about his fist.

Cobra Commando vs Tripwire: The other thread suggested it could be Cobra CommandER. I hope not. I bet Tripwire will use the Flash body.

Destro and Iron Grenadier: I'd hope that is the gold head.

Falcon vs Nemesis: If that's Nemesis Enforcer, that's probably not going to be that great a figure. The original 80s version sucked.

Duke and Red Star: What are the chances it isn't the same Duke? I mean Red Star was a pretty late entry into G.I. Joe Mythos.

and I'm trolling? What, negative opinions only count if you happen to have a high post count on this board? I'm not trying to "start anything", be it a flamefest or any other off-topic discussion. But I'd appreciate it if you (or anyone else, for that matter) could explain to me how this is anything other than a double standard. Every one of his remarks struck me as rather arrogant and unconstructive. If he wasn't interested in these characters or figures possibly getting a release, why did he have to reply?

Granted, Nemesis Enforcer was a movie continuity character. But HOW did his vintage figure "suck" in any way that was notably different from the figures of every other character? Especially given, what could safely be taken as, the general constraints of Hasbro's production? Enforcer wasn't oversized compared to the average figure? Neither was Sgt. Slaughter. NE didn't look that close to his show/comic design? How many other figures did?

Yes, some of my comments were "negative". But you can't tell me I was the ONLY person thinking them. How many Storm Shadows have we seen so far?

I notice you IGNORED the rest of my post.

The most fascinating aspect of the comic packs is the number of new molds they have shown used so far. You have to ACTUALLY wonder about these now and can't presume they will just be repainted bodies.

Storm Shadow IS over rated. Firefly? What more, really can be done? The figure we got is his definitive figure in the eyes of most collectors. I suppose they could do his Battle Corps colors but that would piece people off if it was a repaint. Maybe darker grey?

You can't tell me that Shipwreck wasn't a bit disappointing. Not to mention poorly designed. I mean come on! He has a holster (with removable gun) on his right leg and a FIST!

I think Tripwire will use the Flash body (look at the body without the "quilting"). Maybe someone else legs. That's negative?

It makes sense to have gold head (Iron Grenadier) Destro in that pack.

Nemesis Enforcer doesn't really fit in. The figure was pretty pathetic compared to the cartoon version. Roadblock version 2 or Road Pig looked like BIG guys, even if they were the same size as the others.. Who knows, this version could be HUGE by comparison. On one hand, Cobra-La IS a big part of the G.I. Joe mythos and deserve to be included.

Duke is the same as Storm Shadow, rather overrated. But I see possibility of a DIFFERENT body (which I notice you also ignored), seeing as how Red Star showed up so late, they would have been using Duke's 92 mold (I'd have to look at the comic to be sure).

How many Storm Shadows have we seen so far?

Five (six, if counting the 5-pack and wave 4 single separately). But, be that as it may, I don't think anyone's coerced you against your will into buying any (at least as the subject of this thread).

If they do release Red Star, it'll likely be in low frequency quantities matching their estimate of the market interest.

Yes, some of my comments were "negative". But you can't tell me I was the ONLY person thinking them.
I'm sure we all think things that may not be very productive to say..
..it's not as if I marched into a "Vintage ARAH '80s Nostalgia" thread and let loose my opinion.

I notice you IGNORED the rest of my post.
The most fascinating aspect of the comic packs is the number of new molds they have shown used so far. You have to ACTUALLY wonder about these now and can't presume they will just be repainted bodies.

I didn't understand your statement or position and thus had no complaint with it. Are you saying the 2-packs are using a lot of new molds? (Because I've read a few opinions that regard them as primarily repaints.) Are you being sarcastic? With some that are obvious repaints (almost all the first wave chars), some that are entirely new molds, and some that are repainted body parts, my impression is that it's about half and half.

Storm Shadow IS over rated.
I agree, but I don't think anyone has missed that fact. And as the second most frequently occurring character, Hasbro seems to think that's what the market wants.

Firefly? What more, really can be done? The figure we got is his definitive figure in the eyes of most collectors. I suppose they could do his Battle Corps colors but that would piece people off if it was a repaint. Maybe darker grey?

You can't tell me that Shipwreck wasn't a bit disappointing. Not to mention poorly designed. I mean come on! He has a holster (with removable gun) on his right leg and a FIST!

I would probably prefer a Firefly torso that wasn't the Beachhead sweater texture. In fact, it seems to me that Stalker and Firefly should've had each other's tops. But I guess, if it's not a straight repaint in a different shade, it'll be retooled into those green Battle Corps colors.

I'm actually thinking that part of the reason Firefly may be coming up at all is because he's one of the least frequently occurring figures in the case assortments (going by even waves).

Regarding Shipwreck, I presume they just wanted to keep remolding that same right leg part (it matches his first toy). As to why they didn't at least make the first on the left hand -- which would've allowed them to use CC's left hand fist -- is anyone's guess. As silly as that is, I'm not that bothered by it. It's really a very minor imperfection on an otherwise fantastic figure to me. Truth be told, I'm less bugged by this than by the expression of grumpy constipation on his face, and that doesn't really bother me that much, as it, along with the fist, goes with the whole "barroom brawling sailor" look it seems someone wanted to go for.

I'd actually like Shipwreck in a diver's suit look like in "There's No Place Like Springfield", so I'm hoping it might be the SEAL one which is about as close as it gets. Though I suppose it could be some white shirt one..

(cont'd...)

I think Tripwire will use the Flash body (look at the body without the "quilting"). Maybe someone else legs. That's negative?
I've read a lot of opinion that even repainted body parts are looked on disapprovingly, like, "..they're using that part again. " I interpreted your comment as such, based on your general tone and lack of enthusiasm. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize.

I personally don't have a problem with these reused body parts since the outfits on the vintage toy/show/comic chars all seemed to be highly similar anyhow, if not the same.

It makes sense to have gold head (Iron Grenadier) Destro in that pack.
And yet it will be different from the single pack IG Destro in some way, to be sure..

Nemesis Enforcer doesn't really fit in. The figure was pretty pathetic compared to the cartoon version. Roadblock version 2 or Road Pig looked like BIG guys, even if they were the same size as the others.. Who knows, this version could be HUGE by comparison. On one hand, Cobra-La IS a big part of the G.I. Joe mythos and deserve to be included.
I'm expecting NE to be infinitely better than the first figure, not only because that '80s one sucked, as you put it, but also because they are varying the figure height and build to better suit the characters portrayed (and Hasbro's design team has stated as much). Serpentor is obviously taller than most of the others, but who knows what the upper limit is.

Regarding fitting in, I presume it's to get more popular/in-demand characters out, and Falcon is as best a fit (if it has to be in 2-packs) out of all the current possible choices.

Duke is the same as Storm Shadow, rather overrated. But I see possibility of a DIFFERENT body (which I notice you also ignored), seeing as how Red Star showed up so late, they would have been using Duke's 92 mold (I'd have to look at the comic to be sure).
Heh. Because I can't and won't comment on everything. I will probably be interested in getting Red Star, which means getting the Duke in any case. I suspect many of the 2-packed chars may be like this for a lot of us. Even if it's just a tiger force Duke though, I wouldn't mind, as that'd still be preferable to "the same Duke color scheme in slightly different hues".

If they do release Red Star, it'll likely be in low frequency quantities matching their estimate of the market interest.

And that has what to do with what?

It's called a DISCUSSION, so it IS permisible to say things that are "not productive" and whose to say they aren't? YOU?

We know the Hasbro people read the boards. And "negative" discussions DO get things changed. If we weren't "negative" about the crotches, they wouldn't have bothered to do anything to improve them, for example.

I didn't understand your statement or position and thus had no complaint with it. Are you saying the 2-packs are using a lot of new molds? (Because I've read a few opinions that regard them as primarily repaints.) Are you being sarcastic? With some that are obvious repaints (almost all the first wave chars), some that are entirely new molds, and some that are repainted body parts, my impression is that it's about half and half.

Previous comic packs used almost entirely old molds with new heads. With the exception of Horror Show. Look at upcoming packs, like the Dreadnoks.

Wave 1 was repaints, of course. 1 new character (Hawk).

Wave 2 was 2 repaints and 2 new molds (Torch and Ripper). 1 new character (Breaker).

Wave 3 technically 4 repaints and 4 new molds (Ace, Wild Weasel, Tomax and Xamot).

Yeah, it's likely that a lot of the "new molds" are reused parts, but I couldn't tell. lol

The focus was on the fact that, even the comic packs are trying to be as "original" as they can which is a mixed blessing when focusing on reusing parts. If Wild Weasel reuses parts, great. I can't tell whose parts. So the point is that there is a very real possibility that at least half (Falcon, Nemesis, Grenadier, Tripwire, Red Star and Copperhead) will have new molds.

I've read a lot of opinion that even repainted body parts are looked on disapprovingly, like, "..they're using that part again. " I interpreted your comment as such, based on your general tone and lack of enthusiasm. If that wasn't your intention, I apologize.

I personally don't have a problem with these reused body parts since the outfits on the vintage toy/show/comic chars all seemed to be highly similar anyhow, if not the same.

I don't have a problem with reused parts either (hence my suggestion for Tripwire). And, like I said, if other figures reused parts, I can't tell on some (well the obvious ones, of course).

I'm expecting NE to be infinitely better than the first figure, not only because that '80s one sucked, as you put it, but also because they are varying the figure height and build to better suit the characters portrayed (and Hasbro's design team has stated as much). Serpentor is obviously taller than most of the others, but who knows what the upper limit is.

Regarding fitting in, I presume it's to get more popular/in-demand characters out, and Falcon is as best a fit (if it has to be in 2-packs) out of all the current possible choices.

Well the original Nemesis Enforcer was pretty disappointing. This version, really, could ONLY be better I think.

As for the popular/in-demand characters, I don't think that has a lot to do with it. There really isn't a general consensus on "most popular" as everyone will have their top 5 be different from everyone elses.

As with my earlier comments, there is the potential for Duke to be the Tiger Force version (easy repaint) OR the 92 version (in keeping with the comic). Hasbro may surprise us.

I actually don't consider the skinnier crotches to be much of an improvement, although your point is taken about giving Hasbro feedback to respond to customer demands. I suspect it may be more to do with e-mailing/writing in. While the first thing I noticed was the sitting problem as well, it occurs to me that it would look a lot cleaner to cut partially into the thigh (when viewed from the front, it wouldn't look anywhere near as obvious as the new wedgie crotches) and keep the trimming of the crotch itself to maybe half or less.

I didn't even realize Wild Weasel's body was the same as Snow Job's until I'd read one of the comments pointing it out. He looks terrific to me.

I do think the overall market demand for each character matters. Any one fan's taste will vary, of course. But Hasbro does keep market statistics on overall market popularity, even if we aren't aware of what they may be (or think it inaccurate). I doubt it's an accident that Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow, and CC are being packed so frequently.