RAH doesn't die, it just fades away . . .

GGPiKE

Per a topic going on at Joebattlelines.

I guess I missed the news at the convention, but it was apparently said by GIJCC that it won't be long until they run out of molds and have to switch to JvC format. Now, maybe this was said before Hasbro decided to let GIJCC handle RAH (giving them the opportunity to use molds maybe they didn't know about or didn't have access to before?)

Taking it at face value really makes me a little sad. If there isn't much left as far as using molds (though I don't mind repeats, as GIJCC will at least do those well) and they have to switch to JvC, I don't see much of a reason to have a membership. I will still go to the conventions, but not to get a convention set. Not to buy exclusives. GIJCC is the last bastion of RAH, and if that falls, there's not much left.

I understand that these molds are old and all that.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but the news seems pretty glum.

I've read that too, and I remember it being said that there's at least still a few more years of RAH stuff they can do! I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think they are looking at what the future might hold for 25th sculpts, though. If they take a year off to do a 25th style Argen 7/Action Force repaint set, I for one would not complain one bit! What I think they should do is maybe to one or two exclusive 25th style figures next year, with a RAH style figure set, and maybe switch it up every other year? I would suggest a Cobra de Aco to start off!

I've read that too, and I remember it being said that there's at least still a few more years of RAH stuff they can do! I wouldn't read too much into it.

I think they are looking at what the future might hold for 25th sculpts, though. If they take a year off to do a 25th style Argen 7/Action Force repaint set, I for one would not complain one bit! What I think they should do is maybe to one or two exclusive 25th style figures next year, with a RAH style figure set, and maybe switch it up every other year? I would suggest a Cobra de Aco to start off!

Hell, that's ok with me too. I guess it's just sadness of the RAH going away for good. I just hope they don't replace it with JvC molds. It won't be nearly as bad If they go straight to 25th style.

If they replace it with JvC molds, they're not going to have much success. There aren't too many GI Joe collectors passionate about that era enough to sell those sets at the premium prices they ask for. RAH, obviously yes, but 25th style, after seeing how it's brought in so many new collectors to the fold (not to mention the runaway success of the con exclusive PDD), that may be interesting...

I kinda don't believe it... how many unique figures were there???? 500 or something!!?!

and they haven't used all that many....

now, what makes me more assured of this is the range of years that the molds which they used have appeared from... we have early Joes, and neon-era Joes...

and there a lots of figures that were never reproduced, so its not lik their molds are worn out

I kinda don't believe it... how many unique figures were there???? 500 or something!!?!

and they haven't used all that many....

now, what makes me more assured of this is the range of years that the molds which they used have appeared from... we have early Joes, and neon-era Joes...

and there a lots of figures that were never reproduced, so its not lik their molds are worn out

But keep in mind many of those ended up being sent to different corners of the world, not all of which ever came back, or were so poorly taken care of as to not be usable.

Some were lost during a Hasbro warehouse fire back in the 90s.

And some have simply been worn out. Hasbro wore out the Transformers RID car Brothers molds a few years back, and they didn't see anywhere near the production levels as say, duke v1 or Firefly v1.

As I've always understood it, it isn't always a matter of having the mold not be available, but simply locating the mold. Part of the reason Hasbro themselves always used the same figures stem mostly from the fact it would take time and money they weren't willing to spend to locate and test many of the molds they have. The Club may be reaching that same point in a few years: At what point does it become unprofitable to dig up some of these molds?

That said, I do feel that with a little part swapping, the molds already available, and a few dug up molds, they have more than enough for YEARS of con exclusives.

But I feel they expressed this statement NOW to prepare fans as I think the strong reception of the 25th line may prompt them to switch to that style sooner than their supply of molds would otherwise dictate.

I say this with no rancor intended towards RAH fans (of which I count myself also).

I say let the RAH style molds fade into the anals of history as all things eventually must. The 25th style may have it's obvious failings, but I'll take sculpts with an eye towards the future over retreading the past any day.

fade into the anals

There's a joke in here somewhere. @lol@

Yeah, I would hate to see RAH die.

If they switch to JvC molds though, I can't seeing the club turning any profit. Who the hell's going to pay $20 a figure for that crap? I had a hard time paying $6-8 for them at retail, and they came two figures to a pack.