What I really don't like about GIJoeClub

BoomBatty

So I am reading the round-up of questions/answers from Hasbro and I get to GIjoeClub.com's version and I see this:

GIJCC Question 2: Most fans did not like the Devil's Due versions, so when will we see classic editions of Serpentor and Zartan?

Hasbro Answers: Serpentor will rise again in fall 2008. Stay tuned.

And it actually really ticked me off. How would GI Joe Club be so arrogant to speak for the fans in their posted questions? Most fans I know actually really liked the Zartan and the Serpentor figures. And while the GI Joe Club guy might not like them I don't see how he came to some scientific conclusion to the fans not liking them. Did he take a random sampling or poll? I doubt that. This is the problem with an organization like GI Joe Club. You have a possible small minority trying to exert some influence which fortunately looked unsuccessful by the response. Still, I hate when these groups pose their questions starting with a bash or an opinion.

Any one else catch this?

I still recall a number of threads (a few on other boards very recently) basically griping about how we didn't get Classic Serpentor and Zartan. My feeling with the question was that fans DID want classic versions of those characters, and the new designs threw many off since so much of the line is pure 80s nostalgia.

While I personally would love a Classic Serpentor (he WAS one of my first figures), I really don't understand the love for the original punk rocker Zartan. All said and done, I'm perfectly happy with the 25th Zartan we got, and it would have to be a really compelling change or addition for me to get the original design (cartoon colors = yes, original toy/comic colors = no)

I still recall a number of threads (a few on other boards very recently) basically griping about how we didn't get Classic Serpentor and Zartan. My feeling with the question was that fans DID want classic versions of those characters, and the new designs threw many off since so much of the line is pure 80s nostalgia.

While I personally would love a Classic Serpentor (he WAS one of my first figures), I really don't understand the love for the original punk rocker Zartan. All said and done, I'm perfectly happy with the 25th Zartan we got, and it would have to be a really compelling change or addition for me to get the original design (cartoon colors = yes, original toy/comic colors = no)

And while I agree with you on the fans wanting the classics as well I don't think the general feeling in those threads was an utter dis-like of the figures. What I saw in the threads was a mix of opinions and many stating they loved the figures but wanted to see the originals as well. I know it was a hot topic but to speak up and say the fans didn't like it was way off base. I could point out as many that liked it as didn't in the threads with more than both of those right in middle both liking the figures and wanting the classics as well. Most of the griping I saw was about basically wanting everything classic. And if GI Joe Club stated that "Fans don't like new figures and only want Classics and Classic 80's uniforms" I would have taken them to task over it as well. A vocal minority is not the majority and by simply reading a few threads you tend to get the same people across multiple boards making the same accusations. I just think it reflects poorly on GI Joe Club. I am a member and I don't feel that way nor would I like them speaking for me about something I completely disagree with.

seems to me reading all the threads through out the Joe boards "most fans did not like"

is a very true statement. I would say that GJCC is asking a fair and just question. I bought Serpentor just becuase i love the line, but overall he is my least favorite figure.

I really feel fans wanted both, classic FIRST! i however wouldn't buy classic of either character. I have not bought a zartan, cause i haven't seen him and i passed on serpy only because he wasn't completly accurate to the ddp version!

I agree with the "most fans did not like" statement, it describes me. :)

Here are some of the 25th Zartan threads:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2041893

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2044488

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2044420

I would say that GJCC is asking a fair and just question. I bought Serpentor just because i love the line, but overall he is my least favorite figure.

I agree completely on the question part. Fair question. It was the bash before the question I didn't think was right.

And again, when reading the threads you can't necessarily state, "most fans". Typically (like my thread here) people only get vocal on the things they don't like. I loved both figures and simply didn't participate in the bash threads b/c I figured it would be pointless to get in a discussion that is basically a "I loved it/I hated it" he said, she said. That's the whole point in Boards, 90% is a few folks complaining (like I am). I love the figures but wouldn't cop to speaking for you or anyone else here let alone taking my opinion and trying to make it fact by stating most of you good folks agree with me.

I really feel fans wanted both, classic FIRST! i however wouldn't buy classic of either character. I have not bought a zartan, cause i haven't seen him and i passed on serpy only because he wasn't completely accurate to the ddp version!

And there in lies the disparity I am referring to.

I agree with the "most fans did not like" statement, it describes me.

And again :)

I agree with the "most fans did not like" statement, it describes me. :)

Here are some of the 25th Zartan threads:

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2041893

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2044488

http://forums.toynewsi.com/index.php?showtopic=2044420

I just looked at the fist link and I don't know, there were plenty of I like the new figure/look better as well. Again, a split of enough that I wouldn't all it most fans (especially since these threads don't actually speak for most fans. How many are in these threads a few dozen people? How is that "most" fans? See my point?)

As I am reading the other two, the second doesn't really fit into the argument and third again has a mix of opinions. Point being it's a toss up (and I could quote from those a lot of well known's on this board in support of the figures as well as against).

Well I think its pretty much a fair statmente as well. I might have rephrased the question a little differently like "It seems like many fans were unhappy with the choice of going with modern versions over the classics"

I think the only reason they used the DDP name in the question is that these versions have only been used in the DDP comic and so most collectors associate those looks with DDP. (Disclaimer: I have not conducted a scientific study to back up my claim that I think most collectors associate the modern look with the DDP comic ;) ), but the intent was not to bash DDP. So yeah maybe a little bad choosing of wording but certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over, and as I said I think the overall sentiment of the question is a fair one.

Well I think its pretty much a fair statement as well. I might have rephrased the question a little differently like "It seems like many fans were unhappy with the choice of going with modern versions over the classics"

I think the only reason they used the DDP name in the question is that these versions have only been used in the DDP comic and so most collectors associate those looks with DDP. (Disclaimer: I have not conducted a scientific study to back up my claim that I think most collectors associate the modern look with the DDP comic ;) ), but the intent was not to bash DDP. So yeah maybe a little bad choosing of wording but certainly nothing to get bent out of shape over, and as I said I think the overall sentiment of the question is a fair one.

I usually don't get this bent out shape over wording but I have to agree that it is bad wording in general. I do think GIJoe Club was bashing DDP a bit by stating. "Most fans did not like the Devil's Due versions". It might not have been their intention but it certainly looks that way. Jay, your reasoning makes sense, but I don't think it was what GIJoe Club was thinking when they formed the question (unless you wrote the question, in which case I am awfully wrong).

I APPLAUD the GiJoe club for their statement.

They were candid, and honest.

I agree that MOST fans did not like them. Its a true statement in my eyes.

I aint sure that Zartan was a big problem, he looks enough like the original to get by, all they did was add a shirt. (I would have prefered the original).. But Serpentor sucks.

There should NEVER be a new design, from the DDP series or any other, before the classic RAH designs.

that even goes for characters from the comic.. There is no reason why somebody like Kamakura should appear in this line.

I don't feel they were bashing DDP at all, they were stating that a lot of complaints were towards these two characters that used updated(DDP like) characters instead of their V1 counterparts... how does that get translated to them bashing DDP? Now if they said something like.. Most fans didn't like the [CRAPPY, STUPID LOOKING]DDP version.. then yeah.. I'd see that as bashing.. but that quoted statement doesn't look like bashing to me at all..

Huh? How did you come to that conclusion? I certainly hope your only frame of reference isn't the boards here. That accounts for what, 50 people? And while it may be true in your eyes doesn't make it true. I might believe the sky is green and the Spaghetti Monster is God (Pastafarian #1) but that doesn't make it true, it only makes it my belief.

I think when people are bitching about the QUESTIONS, instead of focusing on the answers, then they have come to the point of bitching for the sake of bitching.

I mean, the question GOT ITS INTENDED ANSWER! How its phrased means nothing now.

I APPLAUD the GiJoe club for their statement.

They were candid, and honest.

I aint sure that Zartan was a big problem, he looks enough like the original to get by, all they did was add a shirt. (I would have prefered the original).. But Serpentor sucks.

There should NEVER be a new design, from the DDP series or any other, before the classic RAH designs.

that even goes for characters from the comic.. There is no reason why somebody like Kamakura should appear in this line.

Couldn't have said it better.

I was surprised when I first saw the Serpentor figure that he wasn't in the style of his original release and I was kind of disappointed. I do like the new figure though. I agree that I would have phrased the question differently, such as "A lot of fans really want a classic Serpentor. Any chance?" Something like that. Hasbro has been great with it's customer interaction so I wouldn't want to insult them like that. If they get too turned off talking to fans, they might well stop.

I'm only offended by the fact that *everyone* (Club members, Board Members, etc) keep calling Serpentor the "DDP Version". There's only a very vague similarity between the Hasbro figure, and the DDp designed costume. And most of that comes from the reuse of the DPP comic pack helmet. Inspired by is more appropriate... loosely inspired.

Same thing with Zartan, really. The only similarity is the fact that Zartan's wearing a shirt. Not even a black shirt. DDp Zartan also doesn't wear chest armor, as a rule.

I don't feel they were bashing DDP at all, they were stating that a lot of complaints were towards these two characters that used updated(DDP like) characters instead of their V1 counterparts... how does that get translated to them bashing DDP? Now if they said something like.. Most fans didn't like the [CRAPPY, STUPID LOOKING]DDP version.. then yeah.. I'd see that as bashing.. but that quoted statement doesn't look like bashing to me at all..

Agreed and once again another entertaining thread about the club ;)

Huh? How did you come to that conclusion? I certainly hope your only frame of reference isn't the boards here. That accounts for what, 50 people? And while it may be true in your eyes doesn't make it true. I might believe the sky is green and the Spaghetti Monster is God (Pastafarian #1) but that doesn't make it true, it only makes it my belief.

okay , fine... then show me the place in the world where people LIKE those versions instead of the classics????

yeah.. thats what I thought

okay , fine... then show me the place in the world where people LIKE those versions instead of the classics????

Or maybe add a poll to this topic to get everyone's opinions about the figures now.

Um, you're reading this thread right? Obviously there is at least 1. But reread the posts above and I'm pretty sure you'll notice I am not alone.

Sort of presumptuous of you to think everyone agrees with you, no?

yeah...that's what I thought

For a moderator I would think you would be expected to be one of the less aggressive posters here.

Or maybe add a poll to this topic to get everyone's opinions about the figures now.

Again, a poll is going to generate about 50 people who hang out here on the board. Regardless of what some of the folks here (and quite possibly GIJoe Club) think, that is not a majority of the fans. If it were, GI Joe wouldn't be produced anymore. But feel free to start a poll, I think I may have juiced everyone here enough to participate :D