GIJoe movie rumors

Arbogast

I am concerned however with Destro having a possible hand in his "creation".

actually, in this script it is the other way around. you think Destro is in charge, only to find out that Cobra Commander has been pulling the strings all along, and in the end officially makes Destro his servant.

Can you say "plateful of red herrings" boys and girls?

That's good, I knew you could!

unfortunately, you can't applaud yourself with such a stance -- that is the movie from beginning to end. the only thing wrong is that the Joes don't fly the Night Raven to Destro's base. Rip Cord does, however, take flight of a Night Raven and save the day.

the Night Raven is a bad guy vehicle.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

unfortunately, you can't applaud yourself with such a stance -- that is the movie from beginning to end. the only thing wrong is that the Joes don't fly the Night Raven to Destro's base. Rip Cord does, however, take flight of a Night Raven and save the day.

Out of curiosity - you seem to be very in the know about the movie. Have you been privy to the script (I could have possibly missed this information) or do you have other sources? You seemed very determined on what is fact and what is not.

Oh, and on a side note. I was out with a few friends last night - all who love movies, sci-fi, etc... but none really know much about GI Joe aside from what little they remember from the cartoon 20-some odd years ago. I mentioned some of the things presented here and especially about Cobra Commander's background story. They seemed to think it worked well enough and added necessary vendettas and plots to push a story.

They also wanted a refresher on the Commander's original bio in the comic and cartoon. There was a resounding chuckle after the comic background of a used car salesman turned global terrorist, but they did think the Cobra-La background was a better Sci-Fi angle - but a bit hard to pull off in live action.

My point, I suppose, would be to the casual (not us) viewer and once upon a time fan - the direction of the movie is going will work well for them.

Out of curiosity - you seem to be very in the know about the movie. Have you been privy to the script (I could have possibly missed this information) or do you have other sources? You seemed very determined on what is fact and what is not.

yes, I have read the script; I have a friend who is working on the movie.

From Yahoo.com

By Jesse Spero

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- Hot on the heels of the success of "Transformers," Paramount is bringing yet another 1980's toy to the big screen, but instead of otherworldly shape-shifting robots, get ready for a real American hero!

"G.I Joe" is currently in production and set for a summer 2009 release, but fans are already getting a sneak peak at some of the action.

[ Dennis Quaid & Sienna Miller Talk 'G.I. Joe' - Play it Now ]

Paramount has released two photos of the fan-favorite character Snake Eyes, played by Ray Park, of Darth Maul "Star Wars" fame. Snake Eyes holds an impressive title according to "G.I. Joe" director Stephen Sommers.

"He's the world's greatest ninja, but he's also next-generation. He's not afraid to use a sword one second, and a split-second later he's pulling out his Glock," Sommers told USA Today. "His chief nemesis is arguably the world's other great ninja, Storm Shadow. The two grew up together, were blood brothers and now are mortal enemies."

[ 'G.I. Joe' - Check Out the Photos ]

Access Hollywood caught up with Channing Tatum while promoting the Iraq war drama "Stop-Loss." Channing, who plays G.I. Joe's leader, Duke, admitted he was apprehensive about stepping into another war film, but says "G.I. Joe" is not your typical combat filled movie.

"'G.I. Joe' is now a war film," Channing told Access. "I was afraid it was going to be a real war film, and actually it's nothing like that-- it's 'X-Men' with 'Mission Impossible.'"

[ All Access: G.I. Joe - Movies - Sienna Miller ]

As for "G.I. Joe" sticking with its comic book and cartoon roots, Channing couldn't agree more, saying, it's a comic book "to the tenth degree."

(CLICK HERE to see the cast of 'G.I Joe')

[ Access Extended: Sienna Miller's 'Interview' - Play it Now ]

Channing's co-stars, Dennis Quaid and Sienna Miller, are also pumped to dive into this summer blockbuster.

"'G.I. Joe" goes back to when I was a kid, and I thought it would be a lot of fun to be a part of this," Dennis Quaid, who will play Commander Hawk, told Access. "It's a huge popcorn action movie, and a little bit of a cartoon in a sense. The way it's going to be done… it's going to be really exciting."

[ 'G.I. Joe' - Check Out the Photos ]

Access wasn't only talking to the good guys. Sienna Miller, who will portray the diabolical lady of Cobra, The Baroness, revealed the lengths she's going to in order to nail her iconic character.

"[The film] requires a lot of physical training," Sienna told Access. "I have a black wig, guns, and leather… it's all very fantastic!"

Sienna admitted to Access that getting the part of the Baroness down took hard work, even a little homework.

"I've got a rubber gun at home that looks so real. I'm learning how to spin it. I've had it in my car while driving, and I'm terrified I might be pulled over because it looks like a proper gun," Sienna added.

(CLICK HERE to see Dennis Quaid & Sienna Miller talk "G.I. Joe.")

Rounding out the all-American heroes cast is Rachel Nichols from "Alias," playing Scarlett (cross-bow included), Marlon Wayans as paratrooper Ripcord, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje from "Lost," as Heavy Duty, and Said Taghmaoui of "Vantage Point" fame as Breaker.

On the Cobra side of the fight, Byung-Hun Lee will play Storm Shadow, Snake Eyes ninja nemesis, Arnold Vosloo from "The Mummy" will play the chameleon-like Zartan, Christopher Eccleston will play the evil chromed-domed Destro, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt from "Stop-Loss" has been cast as the leader of the evil Corba army, Cobra Commander.

The film is reportedly an origins story. It could explain why Destro has a chromed head and why Snake Eyes doesn't speak, among other outlandish details of "G.I. Joe" that the cartoon never explained.

"For people who know nothing about it, it'll make sense," Sommers told USA Today. "And to people who love this stuff, it'll show where they all came from."

As for the famous "G.I. Joe" catch phrase --"Now I know, and knowing is half the battle" - which was used in the PSA's that followed the 1980's cartoons, popping up in the 2009 film, a rep from Paramount told Access, "You'll have to wait and see!"

What is the Cobra Trooper situation in this movie? I have heard them referred to as Neo-Vipers. Are they actually called that in the script or is that just what the Vipers/Troopers look like?

they are called Vipers initially, and then later they are called Neo-Vipers, but at no point are they explained to be different from one another, so I am confident that they are one in the same -- nanomite controlled, impervious to pain and will continue on their mission until dead super troopers.

• 2 weeks later...

From hisstank.com.

Thanks to EL MAYIMBE of www.latinoreview.com for letting us know that BRENDAN FRASER will have a Cameo as Gung Ho! You can look for Gung Ho when he shows up at the PIT for a little training.

In other G.I. Joe Movie news Dwayne Johnson, best known as "THE ROCK" has has been made an offer for the role of HECTOR DELGADO aka SHIPWRECK. Dwayne Johnson hasn’t said either yes or no, but the offer is out to him.

The Rock as Shipwreck? I just don't see it.

Yeah, its awful......I like the Rock but I don't like him as Shipwreck....or Fraser as Gung-ho......Stone-Cold Steve Austin should be Gung-Ho...I think he would be really fun in that role.

Plus, John Leguizamo would be my perfect Shipwreck.......he's got all the sarcasam/attitude to go with it.

This movie is slowly going down the crapper.......I really don't like anything I'm seeing or reading.......I think the Snake-Eyes pics were just to try and trick us into liking this thing.

It still may not be true....its just a rumor....but who knows.

The only characters I could see The Rock play is Roadblock and Alexander.

Fraser could be alot of guys but he could do Shipwreck better than The Rock. Neither would be a good Gung-Ho unless they do what they are doing with Ripcord and Breaker and it is new guys using old Code Names.

That is a goos idea with stone cold as gung ho. I know they have been pushing the (i beleive) Loisianna "creole" accent and background in the comics and the toon movies. SO I wonder if they will push that in the movie. I know I prefer his voice/ not really an accent in the original cartoon. Now I don't really care for the Rock playing shipwreck. Remember they also wanted him to play Duke Nuken which would have been horrible. I personally would prefer no name actors to take on the role so they would have a better chance to grow on us, or if it is a big name someone who could pull it off right. Maybe Jesse ventura could be a good gung ho, he was bad assed in predator. I definetly don't see Brendan Fraser playing Gung Ho.

when i read that the rock may play Shipwreck, i don't think so.i just cant see it. i can see more of him playing Interrogator.that will be a good part for him,if he takes it. as for gun-ho I'm with RobbieDigital,Valdin. stone cold would be best.

i thought that had every one of the first movie?

That is a goos idea with stone cold as gung ho. I know they have been pushing the (i beleive) Loisianna "creole" accent and background in the comics and the toon movies. SO I wonder if they will push that in the movie. I know I prefer his voice/ not really an accent in the original cartoon. Now I don't really care for the Rock playing shipwreck. Remember they also wanted him to play Duke Nuken which would have been horrible. I personally would prefer no name actors to take on the role so they would have a better chance to grow on us, or if it is a big name someone who could pull it off right. Maybe Jesse ventura could be a good gung ho, he was bad assed in predator. I definetly don't see Brendan Fraser playing Gung Ho.

Same here. When I heard about Fraser the other day on G4 I was like you've got to be kidding me. I just can't picture him with a shaved head,mustache and Marine logo tattoo. I'm more use to him playing big goofy guys.

I can't really see Brendan shaving his head. He has had the same hairstyle most of his career if not all. He would look wierd anyway, and honestly who out there would look good with Gung-hos chest tattoo and pull it off, most people I think of I would laugh at.

Don't you think it odd that they did do the main cast already with decent people, but mostly lesser actors/actress', and now these are characters that won't see alot of screen time (could be wrong) and they are getting bigger names for the roles. Brendan Frasier and Dwaye Johnson, mostly are main characters in movies.

Also why not get Eric Banna to play shipwreck, or Thomas Hayden Church or Paul Rudd.I'd actually prefer less known actors for the roles, that way the movie is still about the characters and not just another movie with said big actors in it.

Starsky and Hutch as an example to me was just another ben stiller/owen wilson flick.

The reasoning behind Johnson and Fraser is they were in the Mummy movies. The guy doing GI Joe did the Mummy movies. He's just throwing his Mummy friends in. Like what Will Ferrel and Adam Sandler do all the time. He already has Arnold Vosloo playing Zartan.

I heard a rumor that Kevin J. O'Connor might be in it too.

IF Brendan Fraser does shave his head and has a mustache (the tattoo would be cool, but only if it doesn't look cheesy on film) I would be very, very impressed.

The Rock, I just don't see it... I'm thinking Shipwreck will be played up like this hardcore Navy SEAL, probably without the mustache too. They could have made him Wetsuit or something. Oh well.

Here are some of their (Sigma Sux) Battle Suits:

rachelsscarlettsuitec0.jpg

joeandscarlettsuitssk7.jpg

At least there aren't any nipples.

The Rock, I just don't see it... I'm thinking Shipwreck will be played up like this hardcore Navy SEAL, probably without the mustache too. They could have made him Wetsuit or something. Oh well.

People can stop worrying if the Rock is being cast--it would have been confirmed weeks ago because the movie has been filming for about a month a half as of this date. They are not going to cast such an incidental part that far into production.

As for the "sigma suits"--those are body forms cast, not the costumes per se.

They could be armor components cast to suit atop bodysuits and under web gear. Those are simply plastic parts without any straps and what-not shown.

I'll also direct your attention to many of the figures in the toyline having items VERY MUCH LIKE those cast parts in their designs. GIJOE wasn't just a bunch of guys in BDU's, there were plates and guards all over many of the characters.

People can stop worrying if the Rock is being cast--it would have been confirmed weeks ago because the movie has been filming for about a month a half as of this date. They are not going to cast such an incidental part that far into production.

As for the "sigma suits"--those are body forms cast, not the costumes per se.

They could be armor components cast to suit atop bodysuits and under web gear. Those are simply plastic parts without any straps and what-not shown.

I'll also direct your attention to many of the figures in the toyline having items VERY MUCH LIKE those cast parts in their designs. GIJOE wasn't just a bunch of guys in BDU's, there were plates and guards all over many of the characters.

Can we say, "Denial," boys and girls?

Can we say, "Denial," boys and girls?

Get back to me when there's pics of the costumes in completed form--preferably with the whole cast shown.

With only two shown, there's no way of knowing if these are a standard uniform design, or individual designs meant for specific people.