moral dilema about toys and charity

CLAM

Okay, so here is the deal. Last week I ordered something like 7 Marvel Legends from Hasbrotyshop for 5 bucks each (thanks to Hamsterboy for the coupon code) just because I wanted the BAF parts..

I decided to keep Quicksilver and Yellowjacket, but I now have at least 5 figures that I don't want at all (X3 Beast, Banshee, X3 Jean, X3 Juggy, Ultimate Wolverine) because I think they suck.

so, what to do with those figures?

If I slip the BAF parts out of the package, would they still be good to toss in the Toys for Tots bin as charity?

I mean, they would still look sealed... and its unlikely that any kid getting these toys from the charity would be able to get all 8 pieces of Blob to build him.

But yet, it doesn't feel like that is a good thing to do from my point of view.

Or heck, is it even okay to donate such horrible toys to charity in the first place? I would feel kinda sorry for the kid that unwrapped a X3 Jean or Beast on Christmas day.

what do you guys think?

Okay, so here is the deal. Last week I ordered something like 7 Marvel Legends from Hasbrotyshop for 5 bucks each (thanks to Hamsterboy for the coupon code) just because I wanted the BAF parts..

I decided to keep Quicksilver and Yellowjacket, but I now have at least 5 figures that I don't want at all (X3 Beast, Banshee, X3 Jean, X3 Juggy, Ultimate Wolverine) because I think they suck.

If I slip the BAF parts out of the package, would they still be good to toss in the Toys for Tots bin as charity?

I mean, they would still look sealed... and its unlikely that any kid getting these toys from the charity would be able to get all 8 pieces of Blob to build him.

Or heck, is it even okay to donate such horrible toys to charity in the first place? I would feel kinda sorry for the kid that unwrapped a X3 Jean or Beast on Christmas day.

what do you guys think?

Here's my idea: Take the BAF piece out and give the figures (still in packaging w/out BAF piece) to Goodwill. This way the less fortunate will be able to get the toys they need and know their child will like for virtually nothing and just in time for the holidays. Good luck!

I would go with what was suggested above. Hell Clam, if it makes you feel any better, last year at my school they had a toy drive and I wasn't just donating toys, I was trading out of it lol. I traded 3 Spider-man movie (the 1st one) figures that I never really wanted for 2 DOFP Wolverine/Kitty Marvel Select figures.

The kids would probably get more out of the Spider-man figures anyway rather than 2 not so articulated Wolverine figures... at least that what I'm telling myself lol.

From my point of viewn, ANYTHING you do related to charity must be praised.

I mean, you obviously aren't going to donate the figs with the BAF parts, so it's something between figs without BAF or NO FIGS AT ALL.

And I can't see how a kid is going to complain about that.

Yeah, it's not like these are going to end up in the hands of adult collectors. The kid will probably be glad to have the action figure and most likely won't even figure out the BAF thing. If he does, he can always buy the figure from a store, take the BAF part out and return the figure for a full refund.

Some charity-based retailers ( like Value Village) take loose toys on donation and sell them loose for very little. Since the toys you have have been opened and the packages state that "other parts" are supposed to be included, donating a toy in package but missing those parts would be wrong.

This especially if they request unopened toys.

You could just give the loose figures to neighbourhood kids, or any young kids that come to visit your home during the holidays.

There's ways to be charitable with the stuff, but not "defrauding" anyone in the process.

I would go with what was suggested above. Hell Clam, if it makes you feel any better, last year at my school they had a toy drive and I wasn't just donating toys, I was trading out of it lol. I traded 3 Spider-man movie (the 1st one) figures that I never really wanted for 2 DOFP Wolverine/Kitty Marvel Select figures.

The kids would probably get more out of the Spider-man figures anyway rather than 2 not so articulated Wolverine figures... at least that what I'm telling myself lol.

Good idea, I call it thinking smart on the fly. But would you compare it to dropping $15 dollar bill in a church basket and taking a crisp new $20 bill from the same basket in exchange?

It just seems wrong in my opinon. Your donating for two reasons, to be nice and to get rid of something you dont want that you bought for yourself. To me it the only reason should be the first one. I donated action figures to charity, marvel legends included. I bought em brand new. Spiderman, venom, human torch, and silver surfer were what i donated and i bought a version for myself to keep. You gotta remember tho thats just my opinion, i think you donating is good but i just think its for the wrong reasons

Good idea, I call it thinking smart on the fly. But would you compare it to dropping $15 dollar bill in a church basket and taking a crisp new $20 bill from the same basket in exchange?

If there was an actual $15 bill, it'd probably be really rare and would be worth a lot, therefore the Church would probably be profiting big time, even if you still took that $20 @smilepunch@

Kidding aside, I know what you mean. In my defense, I would've rather have purchased them at my local comic shop (to support their business), but they never got them because they were damaged in shipping, and anything that's damaged in shipping, Diamond Comics holds on to. In this case, they Diamond Comics donated the damaged Marvel Select figures (among other things) to the toy drive (both the packages were falling apart slightly). So yeah. 3 figures for 2 isn't that bad if you ask me.

what do you guys think?

Here's my idea: Take the BAF piece out and give the figures (still in packaging w/out BAF piece) to Goodwill. This way the less fortunate will be able to get the toys they need and know their child will like for virtually nothing and just in time for the holidays. Good luck!

thats what I said in the post.. except not Goodwill.. I think Goodwill sells donated stuff and the profit goes to charity.

It just seems wrong in my opinon. Your donating for two reasons, to be nice and to get rid of something you dont want that you bought for yourself. To me it the only reason should be the first one. I donated action figures to charity, marvel legends included. I bought em brand new. Spiderman, venom, human torch, and silver surfer were what i donated and i bought a version for myself to keep. You gotta remember tho thats just my opinion, i think you donating is good but i just think its for the wrong reasons

well, those aren't the only figures I donated this year... I always donate to Toys for Tots. (Brand new toys) @lol@ These ML figures are just ADDITIONAL things I was considering putting in there because I know that our charities have not been reaching their goals in the amount of toys they have to giveaway.

Here is a tip I use: Go to a store you frequent with a Toys For Tots bin in the front... buy the overstock that has been pegwarming of whatever toyline you collect, and drop them in the bin on your way out. That way kids get free toys, and the store will be able to order newer items that you want to hunt for.

But yeah... it feels wrong to me for some reason to donate something that is garbage to me in such a manner...

Some charity-based retailers ( like Value Village) take loose toys on donation and sell them loose for very little. Since the toys you have have been opened and the packages state that "other parts" are supposed to be included, donating a toy in package but missing those parts would be wrong.

This especially if they request unopened toys.

You could just give the loose figures to neighbourhood kids, or any young kids that come to visit your home during the holidays.

There's ways to be charitable with the stuff, but not "defrauding" anyone in the process.

yeah.. thats kind of what I was thinking.. thanks for sharing your input.

these kids usually have NOTHING.. i think whatever they receive from others will be very much appreciated and will make them very happy.. give it to them dude.. even without the baf parts..

are these toys supposed to be new unopened? I figured if your donating a toy it's still a donation and don't see what the difference is if you just take out the figure that's missing the BAF piece from its packaging and donate that loose. But some people seem to think that donating a toy without the BAF piece is wrong but if you take it out and donate it it's OK. The only difference is the cardboard and plastic IMO. Unless the kiddies are MOC collectors :)

Hmm that is an interesting dilemma. This reminds me of the muffin tops episode of Seinfeld, where Elaine gives the stumps of the muffins to some orphanage? under funded school? and all the kids are complaining, "Where are the muffin tops?" "Who ate my muffin top?"

Sorry that didn't help you resolve your problem, I guess it's up to you. BAF pieces are much more worthless relative to the figure (unless you only want the entire BAF), than muffin tops are to muffins.

what do you guys think?

What do I think? I think that's the scummiest thing I've heard in a long time. You wanna buy toys, buy your toys. You wanna donate to charity, give liberally and cheerfully.

Do NOT buy your toys, take what you want and palm your sloppy left-overs on toys-for-tots. They are a long standing and honorable organization who depend on the generosity and humanity of their fellow man, not your personal trash can.

Wow Mako, atleast give the OP credit for trying to do something charitable with the figures as opposed to not just tossing them or putting them up on Ebay.

Clam, can I get the coupon code for Hasbrotoyshop???

what do you guys think?

What do I think? I think that's the scummiest thing I've heard in a long time. You wanna buy toys, buy your toys. You wanna donate to charity, give liberally and cheerfully.

Do NOT buy your toys, take what you want and palm your sloppy left-overs on toys-for-tots. They are a long standing and honorable organization who depend on the generosity and humanity of their fellow man, not your personal trash can.

Wow Mako, atleast give the OP credit for trying to do something charitable with the figures as opposed to not just tossing them or putting them up on Ebay.

Clam, can I get the coupon code for Hasbrotoyshop???

DOOM, the coupon caode was MARVEL50, but it expired last week.

i would just give them to neighborhood kids or something. in this day and age of paranoia, i wouldn't be suprised if any donation place has a policy of throwing away anything thats already opened just to be safe. everyones so afraid of lawsuits, most places that are taking stuff in this year don't want it wrapped even, so they can pitch out all the recalled stuff or anything that might have been tampered with just incase, cause if they pass something along and some sick freak tainted it, then the charity is responsible. so donating anything opened might just get it thrown away.

maybe go to a local daycare or preschool and tell them you want to donate them for their kids to play with, explain why they are opened and they'll probably be cool.

they should be fine. most people wouldnt know that the peice was missing.

what do you guys think?

okay thanks... if you read the my other posts, you will see that I do donate toys to charity anyways.

these are just extras.

and they are either going into the trash or to a charity... glad you think its better to throw them into the garbage.

where i work we have a direct program with toys for tots and have several bins around our buildings. i go through, handle and forward the toys to the different toys for tots field offices. all the toys i have seen are all sealed and in "just bought" condition. i think it's great on your part wanting to give back to your community but your toys for tots organization might get the wrong idea if you place "opened" toys in the bin...that's just my 2c; though if you wanted my opinion i say just give them to any underpriveleged kids you know to be safe.

now, what you said is really the SCUMMIEST thing peeps here in the forum have heard i think since birth!

to the other guys, pardon me, but i just can't take the arrogance and ignorance of this person..

since when is giving what you no longer need to others considered wrong? man, i can't find words to describe you...

Salvation army takes toys loose in any condition in there drop bins. They then take and have "garage sale" type Toy sales at their stores with the loose toys and buy new toys for needy children with funds raised from the garage sales. The sales are open to the public, I've seen people from all classes buying toys from these sales. Needy children get a ton of fun expensive toys cheap, grandparents get boxes of stuff to spoil there grandkids and toy collectors can find cool loose stuff or broken figures for customizing. 100% of the proceeds go to buying kids new toys for Christmas. So I'd give them to the Salvation army, loose and out of the package. That way they would be sold and the money made given to needy children. Toys for tots and other charities want new, unopened figures since they don't sale them, but ship them directly to children.

No, you can't give an opened package to an outfit that only takes unopened packages. I disagree that it's scummy... that's a huge over reaction. Giving needy kids free toys is scummy? Maybe on Makoworld!

My take on this is, imagine that you're the kid who gets the opened figures. He looks on the package, and sees that he didn't get the whole thing. Now he might be sad about that.

There are plenty of charities that accept loose toys. Just give the toys to them. Not really such a huge dilemma in my book.