Repaints: YEAH or NAY?

tanwer

Repaints: YEAH or NAY?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. should Hasbro start a new ML line featuring old Toy Biz repaints?

• Yes, it'd be easier than spending zillions in old figures.
    • No, I'm a collector and I'd rather have new sculps... but as I am a collector I'll buy it anyways.
    • Yes, I fancy some new Wolverine body reused.
    • No. F. Way-

I've never been a fan of repaints, actually, I skipped them as they popped up on the shelves.

But yesterday I was in a local toy shop and I found that Spider-Man Origins line with a repaint of Hasbro ML series VIII Doc Octopus an it was kind of a neat figure, so I bought it.

When I arrived home I realized that was the only way o having good ML figures.

If Hasbro starts a repaints line (or if they simply feature one of them in some of their lines) it could be a good way of bringing back sold out or hard to find figures like Toad, Mystique, Hawkeye and other earlier toys.

So...

YEAH or NAY?

i'm not really a fan of repaints. i think they're usually crappy. but when i think about not having certain figs (deadpool, modern armor iron man, etc), i really wish they'd just re-release them or make repaints of them, just to save myself from spending too much money looking for them and buying them. it's quite hard especially when you don't have lots of money to spend for your addiction. tough luck.

you guys are so cheap! you wanna collect something but you don't want to have to pay collector prices or be inconvenienced by having to look for them. every legends is still available out there. if you are a MOC collector (what i like to call a future scalper whose biding their time) then repaint means nothing to you, and if collect loose, well then they aren't all that expensive, besides maybe a handful of super rares like the stealth iron man and dragon man, but thats part of collecting something.

but i am reading that you guys want hawkeye and the modern iron man redone? i got a loose hawkeye for maybe 10 bucks, and the modern ironman i bought MOC for maybe 25. this isn't worth a rerelease. companies don't cater to cheap-os.

repainting or rereleasing figures would be an expensive waste for hasbro. why would they take the time and money to make you again, what many of you probably already have? it makes no business sense at all.

if you are looking for old ones, then search ebay, be patient and keep looking til you find a good deal. or get to know your local comic shops, every city i have ever lived in has had atleast one comic shop that bought peoples collections and sold loose figures.

no other industry would rerelease things. chevy doesn't make a new version of a 66 corvette cause they are too expensive for everyone to own. they don't reprint every comic book every year just incase you missed it and don't wanna have to find one. baseball card companies don't reprint dimaggio cards with a slightly different color so you can have one.

repaints would kill marvel legends, you think some of the stuffs peg warmers now, what do you think would happen if they released stuff most people have? and the previous best ofs (walmart had one) are sold for just as much online as the originals are. so unless you could grab it first hand and beat all the scalpers, youd pay the same for it as the original anyway.

It just depends really. Some figures with a repaint of a different costume would be cool but the costume would have to be something that could work on the figure. For example, a repaint of cap face off wouldnt work if it was repainted as the new alex ross one but a repaint to make him us agent would. Idk if this makes sense lol but i hope someone gets it

Hey bub, just because I'm a MOC collector doesn't make me, or anyone who does, else a scalper. I like a more streamlined look to my collection & that is achieved by leaving them as I bought them. I do have a few opened figs but only the ones I really like--FF Rhino, FO Cap & Hulk, SMC Spidey, etc. I do admit to "flipping" figures from time to time, but I let the market set the prices. So, don't label us MOCers as the enemy just because you share a different philosophy. There are downsides to open figs as well. I can't get my SS Electro to stand up straight & my FO Red Skull falls forward a lot. Now, on to the matter at hand...

I like the idea of repaints only when they are a totally different figure, like Destroyer. If they can replicate figures like that, count me in. But I really don't need 4 different color schemes fo the same Rhino figure as I have seen in the past. That's just a way to exploit us, the loyal figure buying public. I to agree that it could drive down the value of some of the prior released figures if it gets out of hand, which Hasbro has done in the past. It's a win/lose situtation...

Hey bub, just because I'm a MOC collector doesn't make me, or anyone who does, else a scalper. I like a more streamlined look to my collection & that is achieved by leaving them as I bought them. I do have a few opened figs but only the ones I really like--FF Rhino, FO Cap & Hulk, SMC Spidey, etc. I do admit to "flipping" figures from time to time, but I let the market set the prices. So, don't label us MOCers as the enemy just because you share a different philosophy. There are downsides to open figs as well. I can't get my SS Electro to stand up straight & my FO Red Skull falls forward a lot. Now, on to the matter at hand...

I like the idea of repaints only when they are a totally different figure, like Destroyer. If they can replicate figures like that, count me in. But I really don't need 4 different color schemes fo the same Rhino figure as I have seen in the past. That's just a way to exploit us, the loyal figure buying public. I to agree that it could drive down the value of some of the prior released figures if it gets out of hand, which Hasbro has done in the past. It's a win/lose situtation...

fine, but if your house looks like a toy store then thats what it will end up being. do you keep them MOC for a streamlined look or to get the total value out of them when you sell them? are you gonna sell the prized rare figure for market price when there are others being sold for twice as much? i doubt it.

repaints would kill marvel legends, you think some of the stuffs peg warmers now, what do you think would happen if they released stuff most people have? and the previous best ofs (walmart had one) are sold for just as much online as the originals are. so unless you could grab it first hand and beat all the scalpers, youd pay the same for it as the original anyway.

I'd like to point out that toy companies re-release older product all the time. Spawn, Star Wars, Transformers, Batman...

I'd like to point out that toy companies re-release older product all the time. Spawn, Star Wars, Transformers, Batman...

sure, but older product made by another company?

Well, considering Hasbro already did that with Spider-Man: Origins, which sold a darn sight better than their own original series, I don't think it's that far-fetched.

Well, considering Hasbro already did that with Spider-Man: Origins, which sold a darn sight better than their own original series, I don't think it's that far-fetched.

origins sold better than spidey classic? what color is the sky in your world man? hell you can still buy alot of them from hasbro for original price, they sold so well.

origins sold better than spidey classic? what color is the sky in your world man? hell you can still buy alot of them from hasbro for original price, they sold so well.

"Their" being Hasbro, "own original series" being the Spidey 3 line.

If repaints are done well, and look different enough, then I have no problem with them. Toybiz would do it all the time with the OG Marvel Figures. But I like the idea of using the molds to make different characters. Perhaps painting Spider Woman into Arachne, or Kitty Pryde into any of the female new mutants, etc. The two packs are an example of what I'd like to see in repaints. But a refresher figure thats different enough from it's original is ok too. Just no "mellalic" paint.

If repaints are done well, and look different enough, then I have no problem with them. Toybiz would do it all the time with the OG Marvel Figures. But I like the idea of using the molds to make different characters. Perhaps painting Spider Woman into Arachne, or Kitty Pryde into any of the female new mutants, etc. The two packs are an example of what I'd like to see in repaints. But a refresher figure thats different enough from it's original is ok too. Just no "mellalic" paint.

i was amazed when i got bucky of how much of him is just reused patriot parts. he seemed more in the vein of the new headed two pack, than a normal legends character.

I think that the only thing that actually can kill Marvel Legends is Hasbro knees and elbow joints, really...

Damn right!! You tell em Rhinoman.

I hope they don't repaint them Spider-Man toys like they did the reissues they did for Spider-Man Origins. They just don't look right with the shiny "glaze" on them or the silver "Spider" symbol on the Black Symbiote costume . I pretty much like them the way they did on the original release. And no raised web designs please !!! That is movie stuff !!

It's either heads or tails actually! Toybiz would reuse some of the more basic "Bucks" to make certain figures (see: Bullseye-Taskmaster-Havok-Moon Knight-Captain Marvel... which paved the way for Quicksilver & Yellowjacket) So the idea isn't a new one. Black Panther-Wonder Man-Sentry & Captain Britain have become somewhat of an ongoing joke.

So requesting that Hasbro use the same "bucks" that Toybiz used or would have used is an inevitability we can all look forward to. But, I wonder why they went "all new" instead of using it for Human Torch?!

there wasn't really an option that I liked....

Yes, hasbro should do repaints of some figures.. but not an entire line of repaints.

they should make use of the Toybiz molds whenever possible...

fine, but if your house looks like a toy store then thats what it will end up being. do you keep them MOC for a streamlined look or to get the total value out of them when you sell them? are you gonna sell the prized rare figure for market price when there are others being sold for twice as much? i doubt it.

I have pics of my old collection available if you go to Photobucket.com & type in Rhinoman_44. There you will see that it does indeed look like a toy collection & not a "toy store" as you had hoped. Keeping them MOC did help them sell last year when I downsized, but loose figures sell pretty darn well too. Perhaps, because shipping is cheaper, it allows the buyer to spend more toward the figure. Thus setting a market price. Just so you know, I start all my auctions at the same price and let it ride. As long as I get back what I spent on it, then I'm happy. I'll let the buyer decide how bad he wants it. So, to answer your questions, (A) No, my house doesn't resemble a toy store, (B-Part 1) Yes, they achieve my coveted "streamlined" look (B-Part 2) Total value, no, what I paid for them, hopefully, © Yes, I'd allow any figure to sell at its current market price, rare or not, with the buyer setting his own price. Also, even though your last question contradicted itself, I answered anyway. Will all of this change your opinions of me and/or other MOCers? I doubt it...