Why So Many Versions Of Snake-Eyes In The 25th Ann.

lldjslim

Don't get me wrong, I like Snake-Eyes and I understand that he is a very popular character.

But does Hasbro really have to release so many versions of him. Lets see how many waves in the G.I. JOE - 25th ANNIVERSARY have we seen a version Snake-Eyes.

G.I. Joe Box Set - Snakes-Eyes (googles) w/ grey paint apps.

Wave 1 - Snake-Eyes (vizor) w/ Timber Wolf

Wave 5 - Snake-Eyes (googles) retooled version of box set. Now painted all black

Wave 7 - Snake-Eyes again (version unknown)

Wave 8 - Yet another Snake-Eyes (version unknown)

25th ANNIVERSARY Comic Packs - Snake-Eyes (version unknown) w/ Storm Shadow

I know most of the versions will probably be just repaints of previous waves.

But look at this, we already have 3 versions out and 3 more on the way and probably even more on they way.

I'm not complaining, but I'm just saying why so many versions, if we get a good version of him which in my opinion (Wave 1) we don't need anymore.

All it does is just take up space which could have been another figure that we don't have in the 25th ANNIVERSARY right now.

The logic that Snake-Eyes takes the spot of another figure is flawed, as it is *every* time someone complains about a repaint. If Hasbro puts out a repaint Snake-Eyes in a wave, it's because they had no intentions of producing a brand new figure, and are supplementing a full wave of new figures with a cheap repaint to average out the costs.

And Snake-Eyes is the most popular GIJoe, hands down. So he keeps getting paraded out when Hasbro needs filler.

He's not hurting anyone, he's just there.

Honestly, I wonder this too.

GI Joe is a fan-driven product. WE are the ones who constantly say Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow are the most popular characters. Are kids even that aware of the characters? I'm sure they think ninjas are cool (who doesn't?), but I don't know. I don't think it's like Star Wars, where the major players are obvious to everyone. There's no major media behind GI Joe right now (as usual), so the kids don't know who the major characters are - we're the ones who know, but then again we're also the ones complaining about all the Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow figures...

At least they got over that whole "no dead characters" BS. Kind of the same thing, since a lot of us collectors don't give a crap what happened in the comic. I figure kids today (if that's who they're marketing to) don't care that SE and SS got a disproportionate number of Marvel or Devil's Due stories, or Duke was more popular than Hawk because of the old cartoon. What do you think?

I've had a number of instances, talking to parents who're trying to buy Joes for their kids (especially in the GvC era) that swore their kids asked for Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow. Even saw a kid asking a TRU employee himself once!

Somehow... I don't know how, but kids know those two... and they like 'em!

I've had a number of instances, talking to parents who're trying to buy Joes for their kids (especially in the GvC era) that swore their kids asked for Snake-Eyes and Storm Shadow. Even saw a kid asking a TRU employee himself once!

Somehow... I don't know how, but kids know those two... and they like 'em!

Well, I guess Sigma Six did manage to make these guys look cool. Crap show, but then again a lot of the characters somehow came off well - SE, SS, Zartan, Destro, Baroness, even newer guys like Kamakura and Long Range, not to mention Lt. Stone.

Now that I think of it, if they're going to be making so many variants I wouldn't mind a 25th Sigma Six sub-line (after the RAH versions are done, of course). I'd REALLY like to see MC tackle Sigma Six for a RAH convention set, because some of those new characters would look pretty cool as RAH figures. Who knows...

I wouldn't mind either a 25th or RAH styled Lt. Stone. I always thought he looked the coolest. Didn't someone do a custom of him in the 3,75'' scale on here?

The logic that Snake-Eyes takes the spot of another figure is flawed, as it is *every* time someone complains about a repaint. If Hasbro puts out a repaint Snake-Eyes in a wave, it's because they had no intentions of producing a brand new figure, and are supplementing a full wave of new figures with a cheap repaint to average out the costs.

And Snake-Eyes is the most popular GIJoe, hands down. So he keeps getting paraded out when Hasbro needs filler.

He's not hurting anyone, he's just there.

Your not seeing the whole picture. I don't think anyone is saying NEW figures (though most are THINKING that). There ARE other figures they could use in place using those molds though.

The Snake Eyes mold is the perfect example. Grunt, Short-Fuze, Rock & Roll, Hawk, Zap, Steeler, Clutch. And you can't say that a new head is so expensive they couldn't afford to do it. The took the time to do "battle damage" to Snake Eyes and did two versions of Stalker.

cuse hasbro still hasn't learned that we dont want so many of the same figs to come out . as it kills the line and takes up space for other figs to be made.

look at what happen to S6 with all thouse dukes it killed it. how man dukes do you need in 1 line. i can see maybe 3 in the whole line . not 1 se in every wave.

Your not seeing the whole picture. I don't think anyone is saying NEW figures (though most are THINKING that). There ARE other figures they could use in place using those molds though. The Snake Eyes mold is the perfect example. Grunt, Short-Fuze, Rock & Roll, Hawk, Zap, Steeler, Clutch. And you can't say that a new head is so expensive they couldn't afford to do it. The took the time to do "battle damage" to Snake Eyes and did two versions of Stalker.

Ok, but we're seeing those figures being made... so we're the problem? Hasbro's using the Snake-Eyes molds double as often, half the time for a straight repaint, and half the time for a new character.

I see the big picture, and Hasbro does too. Leaving the main character out of the mix for too long is a bad thing. So he's always going to have a larger presence, but when they can, Hasbo's mixing it up by bringing in as many characters as they can via repaints and new head molds.

Also, There are not two versions of Stalker, there was just a running change. Huge difference.

I'm very happy about the endless dumb ss and se figures, because I am unwilling to buy every Joe product that comes out, and 80 figures next year seems like a whole lot, especially when I'm sure I'll buy some multiples of troopers.

Luckily, I won't have to buy them all because so many will be repaints or alt versions. Don't get me wrong, I've bought repaints and alt joe figs over these last several years, but I don't feel obligated to buy them if I don't like them.

If every new fig was a new character, I'd have to pick characters and designs I don't like to NOT buy (the way I did as a kid, when I couldn't have everything I wanted).

I'm not complaining,

Than you'd call it what, creative griping? ;-) Please read that as toungue in cheek.

I hear ya, but please remember how many different versions of SE we got back in the 80's. He had a new costume for practically every day of the week, with two extra outfit changes for Sunday. As you said, he's one of (if not the most) their most popular characters, so it's understandable that they'd pimp him hard, as it were.

That, in defense of Hasbro, statement being said; the fan in me agrees with you wholeheartedly. However, we DID get that excellent deep black v.1 SE in Wave 5, and IMHO he's the best SE yet released.

In other words, sometimes we have to wade through endless permutations of one character before we get to the really good stuff. Me, I trust Hasbro in knowing that they'll always right the ship eventually, even if it falters off course a bit at times.

I've bought repaints and alt joe figs over these last several years, but I don't feel obligated to buy them if I don't like them.

Sgt Rocco, I could kiss you- in a strictly Italian kiss on the cheek hetero way of course.

This is a great statement, and one that I wish more people would listen to and follow. If you don't like a figure, don't buy it- simple Simon. That's the loudest voice to Hasbro that you'll ever have, where product is concerned. Don't b**c and whine about a figure only to purchase 15 copies of it when it's released. That sends a really schizophrenic message to the powers that be. You say you hate it and yet you buy it in droves!? What kind of message would YOU take from that?

I've bought repaints and alt joe figs over these last several years, but I don't feel obligated to buy them if I don't like them.

Sgt Rocco, I could kiss you- in a strictly Italian kiss on the cheek hetero way of course.

This is a great statement, and one that I wish more people would listen to and follow. If you don't like a figure, don't buy it- simple Simon. That's the loudest voice to Hasbro that you'll ever have, where product is concerned. Don't b**c and whine about a figure only to purchase 15 copies of it when it's released. That sends a really schizophrenic message to the powers that be. You say you hate it and yet you buy it in droves!? What kind of message would YOU take from that?

Stygian, as an Italain, I accept your hetero man-kiss.

I was thrilled to see the black SE in the Wave with IG Destro, cuz it's one less fig to buy. I'm trying to decide if I'm going to purchase the '82 "green guys" like Flash and Breaker and Hawk, as they were a year before my time anyway.

You see it in every toyline from G.I. Joe to McFarlane Sportspicks. You get repaints and remakes of the most popular characters. Not everyone caught them the first time around, so if you never make another then you're alienating your customers.

Not everyone who buys these are collectors who could search high and low to find every figure in every wave, never missing anything. Many times the little kids can't find squat unless it's readily available or re-released. The collectors drive this line, but there are still a lot of parents who are buying these for their kids like many of our parents bought them for us the first time around.

Your not seeing the whole picture. I don't think anyone is saying NEW figures (though most are THINKING that). There ARE other figures they could use in place using those molds though. The Snake Eyes mold is the perfect example. Grunt, Short-Fuze, Rock & Roll, Hawk, Zap, Steeler, Clutch. And you can't say that a new head is so expensive they couldn't afford to do it. The took the time to do "battle damage" to Snake Eyes and did two versions of Stalker.

Ok, but we're seeing those figures being made... so we're the problem? Hasbro's using the Snake-Eyes molds double as often, half the time for a straight repaint, and half the time for a new character.

I see the big picture, and Hasbro does too. Leaving the main character out of the mix for too long is a bad thing. So he's always going to have a larger presence, but when they can, Hasbo's mixing it up by bringing in as many characters as they can via repaints and new head molds.

Also, There are not two versions of Stalker, there was just a running change. Huge difference.

I understand too. But 25th is geared heavily towards COLLECTORS. I can understand the "core character" concept as it was applied before. I just don't see it as necessarily necessary here.

The Snake Eyes body example is JUST AN EXAMPLE. I can be applied to most the molds in some way. To be honest I didn't know those other guys were coming up. I hadn't read that thread.

I suppose it is moot. They are actually doing better than in the past. While we may have seen mold reuse already, we've seen few CHARACTER reuses and that's a good thing.

G.I. Joe fans are spoiled. Back in the 80s Hasbro would come out with more or less a totally new line up of characters each year. This is unheard of. Hasbro didn't even give us a second Duke figure until 1988! Could you imagine if there was a Batman line that had only produced 1 Batman figure in 4 years? Hasbro sees guys like Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander as being the "Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo" of the G.I. Joe line and as such pump out as many of them as they can. Collector driven or not. Let's just be lucky that Hasbro doesn't give Snake-Eyes the same treatment Kenner gave Batman in the 90s.

To be honest, it doesn't bother me since Snake-Eyes is my favorite character. When I recently sold my Joes, the single-carded Anniversary version was the one I kept. Just as long as they're cool figures, it's okay by me. I just don't care for the cheapo comic-pack repaints ad-nauseum that make me sick of Snake-Eyes figures. But yeah...I'd be perfectly fine if they decided to release the Version 3 Snake-Eyes for the Anniversary line. I just don't want the Version 4 and/or Ninja Force versions. Blech.

I'm going to purchase the '82 "green guys" like Flash and Breaker and Hawk, as they were a year before my time anyway.

I had much the same thought. I suppose I'll buy them based on how unique (or not) they are. For instance, Flash is from the green soldier ilk you describe, however, his costume and speciality are both somewhat unique. However, if someone like Grunt shows up (only to be endlessly repainted and repackaged I'm sure), I may think twice.

Hasbro sees guys like Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander as being the "Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo" of the G.I. Joe line..

'May see', not necessarily do see. @loll@ Just for the sake of clarity, and nothing more; although it may be self-evident that Hasbro has tent pole figures they defer to (such as the titular SE figure), I think it would be remiss of us to assume we know Hasbro's marketing plan. It's a mistake made by all of us on occasion. Blanket statements of preternatural insider company knowledge are just bad reporting. Unless you are an insider, in which case, wax on.

um.. I'm pretty sure it's been stated by Hasbro themselves why they have core characters in wave after wave(All those Dukes and SEs in the Sigma figures).. but I'm not gonna waste my time and dig for it.. at any rate.. we'd have 2 less SEs if they got the black color clack in the first figs instead of that gray color.. and of course.. people bitched and complained about the 5-packs and wanted single packs of them.. so now we're getting him in the single packs... uf you ask me.. Hasbro's doing a good job with these guys.. just be glad we don't have a Duke, SE, and CC in every wave ;)

Yeah, Joe, sorry if my comment seemed like I was taking you to task (which I kind of was, but that's beside the point). I'm sure Hasbro like most companies has characters they rifle out to the buying public more than others. My point was just nitpicking more than anything.

Hasbro sees guys like Snake-Eyes, Storm Shadow, and Cobra Commander as being the "Darth Vader, Luke Skywalker and Han Solo" of the G.I. Joe line..

'May see', not necessarily do see. @loll@ Just for the sake of clarity, and nothing more; although it may be self-evident that Hasbro has tent pole figures they defer to (such as the titular SE figure), I think it would be remiss of us to assume we know Hasbro's marketing plan. It's a mistake made by all of us on occasion. Blanket statements of preternatural insider company knowledge are just bad reporting. Unless you are an insider, in which case, wax on.

I think the evidence speaks for itself. Hasbro is obviously going to make multiple versions of the main characters. Like I said, back in the 80s there were no main characters really. At least not as far as the action figure line itself went as we got a practically all-new set of characters each year. Hasbro did away with that in the early 90s when they started for the most part making new figures for old characters. Too many fans are so nostalgic for the way things were in the 80s they are now scratching their head at why Hasbro is making so many versions of the same guys. But that is how it is with every other action figure line. Batman, Spider-man, John Cena, Darth Vader, etc. It would make no sense for them to make just one of those guys and leave it like that. I'm sure Hasbro is using the same reasoning for G.I. Joe.