minimates or Superhero Squad?

CLAM

Which do you like better?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Minimates or Superhero Squad?

• Minimates
    • Superhero Squad

I can't understand how any man would want to collect superheo squad. The line is for children and girls. I could understand buying it if it was the only single line that offered Marvel characters that has ever been made and you love Marvel so much that you'll take any representation of those characters you can get. Marvel Legends are for men and SS are for girly men. If I'm home alone on a friday night playing with my action figures you can damn well bet they'll be Legends! Nuff' Said!

Five star post, and a great ending. You had me there for a second and I love it!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this is a great topic. I for one am a minimate fan all the way, but i do give SHS credit. They really have a great character selection. This debate kinda feels like its mcfarlane toys vs marvel legends. One is purely statuesque and one is articulated. The only difference is one is blocky and the other is superdeformed. I think one reason there hasnt been nearly as much marvel minimates coming out as frequently as they used to be, is that they have so many different properties now that the marvel ones arent their main focus. I mean hell they have DC, they did have street fighter/capcom, battlestar galactica, a slew of other movie and tv show licensed minimates all coming out. I like them for their articulation and detail as well as their accessories and the ease of customizing. I was never a big block figure fan but minimates are a def. win for me.

I can't understand how any man would want to collect superheo squad. The line is for children and girls. I could understand buying it if it was the only single line that offered Marvel characters that has ever been made and you love Marvel so much that you'll take any representation of those characters you can get. Marvel Legends are for men and SS are for girly men. If I'm home alone on a friday night playing with my action figures you can damn well bet they'll be Legends! Nuff' Said!

I can’t help but notice a seething amount of sarcasm here. Are you actually implying I’m home along on Friday nights playing with my collection? Isn’t this a little bit of judgmental hypocrisy here? When last I looked...we're all toy collectors here. Do you actually assume that because I think Superhero Squad is a waste of time and money…that I’m home alone on Fridays just playing with toys? Please! I’m happily in a relationship and I don’t need to go out on Friday nights to feel special - though I often do. So what’s your point? And I'm getting the sense that the only person whom plays with their figures and stays home on Fridays...is you. Why else would you bring it up to begin with if you wern't familiar with lonely Fridays nights? @loll@ @smilepunch@

So excuse me for not feeling the need to buy a childrens line. :P

i'll have to go with SHS. i'm not a big fan of lego and lego-like things. shs figs are really cute. and the number of characters that they've made is pretty impressive for a line that's been there for only a while. although they're quite expensive for their looks and size, i'd rather have them than spend the same amount of money buying the minimates figs. but that's just me.

Wow dude. So let me get this straight. Your saying superhero squad are for children and girls right? ok ok BUT your saying your a man because you stay home on friday nights and play with toys? Ok i collect super hero squad but i dont play with them. And i sure as hell dont sit at home on friday nights playing with action figures.

I can't help but notice a seething amount of sarcasm here. Are you actually implying I'm home along on Friday nights playing with my collection? Isn't this a little bit of judgmental hypocrisy here? When last I looked...we're all toy collectors here. Do you actually assume that because I think Superhero Squad is a waste of time and money…that I'm home alone on Fridays just playing with toys? Please! I'm happily in a relationship and I don't need to go out on Friday nights to feel special - though I often do. So what's your point? And I'm getting the sense that the only person whom plays with their figures and stays home on Fridays...is you. Why else would you bring it up to begin with if you wern't familiar with lonely Fridays nights? @loll@ @smilepunch@

Hey man, you posted a huge rant about a guy who says SS isn't a waste of money because the people who buy them, want them and then insulting him, calling him immature because his name is Jarjar (ironic since yours is Mysterio) and now you're accusing others of "judgmental hypocrisy"?

The thrust of your argument, I believe, was that SS was for kids and not like manly Marvel Legends. Your entire argument against Jarjar consisted of you mis-stating his opinion (he said that SS appealed to adults as well as kids, you wrote back implying that he was saying "their main creation was for adult consumers"), then telling him to look at the toys and if he didn't agree with you he was delusional.

You also went on a tirade about how Hasbro using previously established toy formats and lines like Platinum, Attacktix, the Galactic Heroes (even though these divisions are run by entirely different departments in their toy division) style to put out Marvel licensed characters is somehow related to what you perceive as a lack of focus on the ML line you like which doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's not like if Hasbro limited SS to one wave a year they'd improve the sculpts of ML or make larger buid-a-figures or put FA Storm in the next wave or whatever your perceived lack of focus is.

And you keep missing what the SS people are saying: You think SS is a waste of time and money. We think it's only a waste of time and money if you're buying them and not enjoying them. I think they're well worth my 5 bucks a two-pack. A lot of other fans agree, thus we buy them. Enough of us are buying them to encourage Hasbro to make more, so they must be providing some sort of return on investment for Hasbro (thus making it worth their time and money.) You don't like them, so don't buy them. Since you're not buying them, how are they in any way a waste?

I'm not trying to argue, just trying to point out some of the flaws in your reasoning and hoping to straighten out some of the argument that's already going on.

Now show us you're mature (since you think Jarjar is so immature) and stop being defensive, stop taking Rebel's sarcastic fictional Friday night as a personal attack (which you respond to by being defensive, then trying to insult him personally... it was just a humous, sarcastic dig at how ironic it is that some toy collectors are claiming other toy collectors are somehow inferior for buying toys "aimed at kids"), stop calling people immature and delusional for not agreeing with you, and stop trying to convince people who are buying these toys that they're a waste (because we're not listening to you, we think it's a great value for our money.)

Peace man?

The thrust of your argument, I believe, was that SS was for kids and not like manly Marvel Legends.

I just re-read that and I take it back. I'm trying not to buy into this re-characterization of arguments, putting words in people's mouths, using straw men, and all the other tactics I'm seeing already. I was trying to point out that you keep calling SS a kids line, that it's a waste because it's a kids line and got defensive when Rebel suggested joked how SS is for girly men while ML is for manly men, who stay home on Fridays.

When I started to reply, I was a little fired up because you don't seem to read what everyone is trying to explain and you start trying to discount every else's reply with slams like "immature" and "hypocrisy" when the same terms can be applied to the stuff you're saying.

I can't help but notice a seething amount of sarcasm here. Are you actually implying I'm home along on Friday nights playing with my collection? Isn't this a little bit of judgmental hypocrisy here? When last I looked...we're all toy collectors here. Do you actually assume that because I think Superhero Squad is a waste of time and money…that I'm home alone on Fridays just playing with toys? Please! I'm happily in a relationship and I don't need to go out on Friday nights to feel special - though I often do. So what's your point? And I'm getting the sense that the only person whom plays with their figures and stays home on Fridays...is you. Why else would you bring it up to begin with if you wern't familiar with lonely Fridays nights? @loll@ @smilepunch@

calling him immature because his name is Jarjar (ironic since yours is Mysterio)

I didn’t bother to read the your long rant about my rant. I’ve got better things to do then listen to someone defend collecting a children’s toy line. I only caught one thing. I can’t help but be intrigued by your Mysterio bash. Mysterio compared to Jar Jar? Now that’s a first. I’ve said this once, I’ll say it a dozen times. For every one Mysterio basher, there are ten fans. He’s got a huge cult following. He wouldn’t be getting a Minimate, Bowan Statue, SHS, and Origin figure all in one year if he were Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar is inarguably the most despised character in any major motion picture genre. Mysterio…? So Mysterio wears a fishbowl on his head. I mean, we’re talking about a tights wearing genre. His costume is corny, but that doesn’t make his character corny. Read Kevin Smiths DD run…there is your proof.

I didn't bother to read the your long rant about my rant. I've got better things to do then listen to someone defend collecting a children's toy line. I only caught one thing. I can't help but be intrigued by your Mysterio bash. Mysterio compared to Jar Jar? Now that's a first. I've said this once, I'll say it a dozen times. For every one Mysterio basher, there are ten fans. He's got a huge cult following. He wouldn't be getting a Minimate, Bowan Statue, SHS, and Origin figure all in one year if he were Jar Jar Binks. Jar Jar is inarguably the most despised character in any major motion picture genre. Mysterio…? So Mysterio wears a fishbowl on his head. I mean, we're talking about a tights wearing genre. His costume is corny, but that doesn't make his character corny. Read Kevin Smiths DD run…there is your proof.

LOL, you're just the poster child for internet forum arguments aren't you? When someone gives you a point by point refutation, you try the "I've got better things to do than defend my arguments (with pointy insinuation that the person who pointed out your argument's flaws doesn't have anything better)" trick.

Ok, long story short: stop trying to insult the SS collectors for buying a "kids" line. Newsflash: SHS is for ages 3 and up. Marvel Legends is for 4 and up. Don't tell me you've never seen a kid a third your age in the toy aisle buying a ML. We keep trying to show you the silliness of your argument, and you keep insulting whoever points it out to you. I'm hesitant to say that a more mature individual wouldn't do as much anonymous internet name calling as you, but I'm trying not to go there. I'm afraid, however, going there is the only way to point this out to you.

S'okay, like I said, I come in peace, just wanted to point out what was wrong with your hit-and-run "attacktix".

And there was no Mysterio bash. You're trying to find a fight where there is none. There was me explaining that you as a possibly reasonable gentleman, can not get away with slamming one guy for using a Star Wars character name as is internet name when you use Mysterio. By saying that his nickname makes him immature, you're apparently insinuating that Star Wars is more immature than Spider-Man, or maybe just that his particular character choice makes him more immature. I'm not sure which and it doesn't matter because it doesn't bare weight.

I'm not going to respond to your Mysterio defense because I've got better things to do (get the joke?) but suffice it to say one story in 40 years, featuring a character that many people laugh at, and that wasn't all that good but that you enjoy (Kevin Smith's DD) is not proof in any way that your selection of fishbowl is any less immature than JarJar's selection of a Star Wars character that many people didn't like. You chose Mysterio because of some weird attraction to the character... you have no idea why he chose Jar Jar. For all you know it was a joke you're not in on.

So back on topic: Who else prefers Minimates to SHS, or vice versa?

Im not taking sides here but you both should kinda keep it on topic.

From what i remember the "Age __ and up" was not because it was meant for a certain age group. Maybe sometimes but thats a VERY small sometime. It was mostly meant for if there were parts a child could choke on, size, or whatever. I dont get why people are bringin that up. Maybe im sounding really stupid right now lol and if i am just know this i from what i remember. Im probably wrong

No my post had nothing to do with you. Haha no I do think SS is for kids/girls only! It was half serious half joke at the end. I buy a huge amount of action figures and while I don't actually have battles and and play out big story lines with them anymore talking about about and being around them is all the same thing. Hell I spend as much time thinking about figures as anyone. I do find the humor in looking down on SS while what I do isn't too far off, but seriously Superhero squad is for babies.

HEY I AM NOT A BABY! lol and ive noticed people seem to accept shs better. Or my friends atleast. They thought marvel legends and stuff was kinda nerdy shs to them was kinda cool because of how they looked and such. Oh and call me all you want but i still dont sit at home and play with toys on friday nights :)

I like both but SHS I find more fun... I've had a lot of minimates fall apart on me from hardly moving them though sooo... :S

Same here. Mine break alot and one time i picked up a package from the p.o. and it had a minmate beast in it. The hair fell off while driving and went out the window. Probably my fault for having the window down lol but still

Same here. Mine break alot and one time i picked up a package from the p.o. and it had a minmate beast in it. The hair fell off while driving and went out the window. Probably my fault for having the window down lol but still

Heh. While I love the Minimate Beast, it is a pretty shoddy toy.

It should have had a peg for the hair, but no... it barely stays on. Even Mike Carey was amused by that.

I like both but SHS I find more fun... I've had a lot of minimates fall apart on me from hardly moving them though sooo... :S

Fall apart? Hell, I've had Minimates break.

And I only have a few of them. Last one was Shadowcat, who's leg snapped off.

Yes I'll buy a mini mate take it out of the box move an arm or leg a few times trying to get a decent pose and the joints simply crumble...

man, maybe its how i handle my minimates, but ive never had any of them actually break on me, and i have over 50 of them. Ive had them detach from themselves but its easy to just snap them back on. Even with their articulation, you cant exactly pose them like you would a marvel legend,.

Ive had two break and ill admit they were my fault but it wouldnt have happened if they werent so flimsy. I shoulda known better. But thats the thing, they shouldnt be snapping on and off like that. You could argue thats the price you pay for getting an awesomely articulated two inch toy but to me it isnt worth it.

man, maybe its how i handle my minimates, but ive never had any of them actually break on me, and i have over 50 of them. Ive had them detach from themselves but its easy to just snap them back on. Even with their articulation, you cant exactly pose them like you would a marvel legend,.

Oh I know man I know!! Very limited up down type stuff I'm very careful with my stuff

how do u break a minimate?

i have almost every minimate, im missing maybe 10-15 total (and the new spiderman move set)

and ive never had any of them break, u can always just snap the arms and legs back on the peg. Unless the peg breaks but realy dont know how that can happen unless you like use full force. as far as loss joints just use a bit of glue.