Welp, I'm out

SheriffofCoffeeTown

Seeing as I'm going to graduate school next year and am about to enter a world of incredible debt, some expenses have to be trimmed. Sadly, it appears that one of those expenses is action figures. (It was them or comics, and since the love of the comic characters led to the subsequent love of their action figures, it was an easy, if painful, choice.)

However, I might have felt differently if Hasbro and Toy Biz hadn't each made some notable mistakes.

Toy Biz flooded the market in 2006, and subseqently forced me to put a cap on my spending. Really, there was so much product for Spider-Man alone that I couldn't afford to dip into other lines, like I used to. If it came down between the Captain America two-pack and the only single-carded Electro in a decade, I gotta' go with Electro, because Spidey Come First. Of course, this is only my own collection credo, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has to prioritize when faced with such a glut of product.

And then Hasbro dropped the ball by doing the exact opposite. Only two figures from their Origin line were of any interest to me. (Iron Spidey and Demogoblin. Spidey 2099 has nothing to do with normal Spidey...) And then....a long, long draught. I skipped the crappy SM3 guys, and neither of the two ML waves of that time had any characters that particularly interested me. (Which is a shame, because Blob looked awesome.) And when they finally delivered new Spidey stuff, it was the Movie Legends, which I have several problems with. And after all this time, I'm not nearly as interested in collecting as I used to be. (See also: Transformers movie line distribution.)

And of course, the new Spidey line will focus on Spectacular, which is fine, but it's also a perfect jumping off point. Hasbro and Toy Biz accidentally showed me that I can do fine without their product, which is a huge mistake for any retail company.

I'll be selling off my (meager compared to most of the people on this board) collection, because I've also found my new favorite line: Unleashed 360. I passed on the red and blue Spider-Man, because I thought it was a one-off, but these guys:

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42959

I want New Goblin, Black Spidey, and Venom so, so badly. And if the line lives long enough to produce a movie Iron Man or a Wolverine, I'll get them, too.

So, yeah. These are the circumstances that lead to me leaving the hobby. Anyone else tempted to go? Why?

that SMC Electro was a priority for you???

He was pretty crappy if I remember correctly.... Didn't he have some kind of missle shooting forarms??

Anyhow.. I don't think Toybiz flooded the market at all... I thought it was amazing.

He was pretty crappy if I remember correctly.... Didn't he have some kind of missle shooting forarms??

SMC Electro vs. No Electro At All? I wasn't willing to pay three times the cost of the SMC version to get a loose SS Boxed set version.

And again, it's about priorities. Completing the Sinister Six was a bigger one for me than a non-Spidey fan.

In a similar vein of priorities, I'm on a budget. If it's down to school books or toys, I gotta' go with the books. Prior to 06, there simply hadn't been that much stuff out to cause a conflict of interests. (One desirable figure in every two waves of Spidey toys, for example.) In 06, there was for me. I'd have gotten a lot more, if I could have afforded it. Maybe you have a higher budget for toys than me, but I do think flooding the market is a concern.

I gotta agree with you on the Electro :D .

Well Sheriff,we did have a few interesting and at times intense conversations but it was all in the spirit of collecting :P .Its always a shame too see one of the guys hang it up but you're right you gotta set your priorities. Anyway it was a pleasure discusing the world of marvel figures with you. Take care.

I have the Sinister Six version... and it is miles better

to me.. if you are at all serious about collecting, you should go for a gimick-free, good, figure that is not much more expensive than the crappy SMC figure

to me.. if you are at all serious about collecting, you should go for a gimick-free, good, figure that is not much more expensive than the crappy SMC figure

Am I the only person on the entire board who likes gimmicks sometimes? Electro's was poorly executed, sure, but some of them are fun.

if you shop around and be patient enough you can find anything for a reasonable price (except the stealth iron man). i found that sinster six box set electro loose in a toy shop for like 8 or 10 bucks.

probably about the same as the stigmata handed SMC version was new.

still looking for the goblin from that s6 set. i've seen it and people think they can get way too much for it. so i have bidding my time on that one.

but theres lot of ways to get legends without paying crazy prices. my tips...

1. buy as many of them loose as you can, most every town has a local comic shop who has bought out someones loose collection or will and there is always ebay. i got the kb exclusive scarlet spider for a dollar at a small comic shop who had no idea what figures were worth.

2. flea markets are a gold mine. look for the guy with lots of 5 inch stuff, they don't like the legends stuff much and will let it go cheaper. if nothing else they can always tell you when and where the toys shows are.

3. go to super walmarts at 2 am looking for variants to avoid paying crazy scalper prices on them later. you may look crazy in the toy section in the middle of the night but it pays off. i like to call and make them look sometimes before i go.

4. when in toy stores ask stupid question you know they won't know they answer to (like when are you getting in the new legends?). most times they will just give you a puzzled look, but every once in a while someone will actually look something up on the computer. information is the key to first dibs.

i've done pretty well using this philosophy.

sorry to see anyone of us go, but i think in your situation, you made the right choice going with comics instead. it will be easier to collect up the figures you missed if you come back later than to track down all those issues.

no, i'm not one for the action features for the most part, but i am a sucker for anything that lights up (house of m spidey, beetle, ghost rider bike)

Am I the only person on the entire board who likes gimmicks sometimes? Electro's was poorly executed, sure, but some of them are fun.

I'm with you sheriff,as the biggest electro fan on this board(i'm pretty sure :P ) the smc version was way better than the ss one. I have both and the smc version is despite the accesories wich i think aren't that bad a much nicer figure. The mask is much nicer and the build is larger,the ss figure is way too skinny and the mask is a bit on the small side.The paint job on the smc one leaves the ss one in the dust. I like both because i like the character so much but the smc version is by far the better one.

I really didn't intend this thread to be all about Electro, but since I've apparently touched a nerve... =P

I really don't get why a projectile-firing feature always neuters arm articulation. If you design the forearm so that it has a hole in it for the back of the projectile to stick out, you can still have a point of articulation in the elbow.

I'm with you sheriff,as the biggest electro fan on this board(i'm pretty sure :P ) the smc version was way better than the ss one. I have both and the smc version is despite the accesories wich i think aren't that bad a much nicer figure. The mask is much nicer and the build is larger,the ss figure is way too skinny and the mask is a bit on the small side.The paint job on the smc one leaves the ss one in the dust. I like both because i like the character so much but the smc version is by far the better one.

what the hell are you talking about? despite the reasons you listed, full arm artiuclation beats the crap out of a stupid missile-launching system!

what the hell are you talking about? despite the reasons you listed, full arm artiuclation beats the crap out of a stupid missile-launching system!

That greatly depends on your point of view. The 90's Toy Biz figures, which were a staple of my childhood (and I know I'm not alone in this regard), shaped my idea of what an action figure should be. I mean, it's right there in the name: "action" figure.

So, I'm willing to make concessions to get a decent action feature. It's a toy. It's supposed to be fun. And for the life of me, I'll never understand why so many people need upmteen points of articulation, when most collectors display them like statues in the first place. Look at the "Show your collection" thread.

Anyhow.. I don't think Toybiz flooded the market at all... I thought it was amazing.

Toybiz did flood the Marvel market the end of 2006. With 3 series of 12" Icons, 3 series of Superheroshowdown,ML13,14,15 plus the WM wave in a year, Spiderman classics Xmen classics,and Fantastic4 classics, etc.

There's just too much in one year. I've never even seen the F4C hit stores or comic shop and the flood lead to Psylocke, Luke Cage variants not being able to release on time.

The Hasbro Spiderman Unleashed line looks really good. Better than the 5" crappy figures. But besides red spidey , the others are hard to find.

You are smocking some good stuff!! @Smoke2@

All you need to do is leave the accesories aside if you don't like them.The figure itself looks good with or without the accesories.

But who the hell are you calling a Whelp!!??!

It's a spelling of a regional pronunciation of the word "well". As in, "Well, it's time to go."

Heh, nah, I'm from the same general region, so I knew what you were saying, I was just being a smartass.

But since this is now the Electro thread, can anyone help me with making a custom Electro action feature by combing a stun gun with the figure somehow? I'll have to run the electrodes down each arm but where should I hollow the body out to hold the two 9V batteries to power him?

electroshock1.jpgelectroshock2.jpgelectroshock3.jpg

But since this is now the Electro thread, can anyone help me with making a custom Electro action feature by combing a stun gun with the figure somehow? I'll have to run the electrodes down each arm but where should I hollow the body out to hold the two 9V batteries to power him?

electroshock1.jpgelectroshock2.jpgelectroshock3.jpg

this is one of the funniest things i've seen.

desperate times call for desperate measures. lol.