What was the ML figure that got you into collecting?

Tonydabeanner

i was sitting at home and decided i wanted a gambit figure

so i was searching websites to find one from the 90 (the one i was after had a soft plastic goat and light up action feature)

then i stumbled across the ml4 one and thought i had to have that one instead

so i went to wal mart figuring it wouldnt be there (i had no idea when it came out)

and it actually was there, series 4 had just come out

what a coencidence

Some great stories here. I started off with the BAF Galactus. I knew that I was going to collect the 3 3/4 inch Super Hero Showdown figures and I thought that Galactus would be an amazing figure to pair with that line. I bought the whole series and traded off the figures to a friend. After that I found a super-articulated Hulk that I thought fit in pretty well. After that I found a super-articulated Spider-Man and then the flood gates opened wide. I now have over 200 Marvel Legends and Marvel-related six-inch figures!

I've been collecting since the very beginning with Spider-Man Classics. When those figures were coming out I remember day-dreaming how awesome it would be if they made mainstream Marvel characters this way.

Now I find myself day-dreaming that it's four more years until Marvel Toys regains the liscence, and wondering if they'll go back to making Marvel action figures. I really hope so.

I was thinking about selling my collection (seen of page 44 of the 'show your collection' thread) this Christmas, but just can't bring myself to do it. These are action figures that I've been wanting for years, I can't just go and sell them!

Make Mine Marvel!

I think my first figure were the figures from the X-men legends box-set, I found it really cheap online so i was like: "hey cool it has Rouge (ugly though), Gambit and Magneto." I think i got thst when wave 5 was out because i saw the phoenix figure was comming out but i could never find the damn thing. :(

ML 1 Iron Man.

I was walking through the Times Square TRU. I was/am a big comic collector and I had managed to cherry pick my favorite TB 5" figs all through the 90s. Like I said, I was in the TS TRU just looking to see what was new since I hadn't picked up any figs in a long while. I pretty much walked right into the display of IMs, Caps and Toads. The IM figure just blew me away but I was considering just walking away from him because I really didn't want to start collecting again and he would be all lonely and out of place anyway because all of my figs were 5". I must have walked backed and forth with the clamshell in my hand for a good 15 minutes before I caved and took him to the register with me.

reading these posts i find it funny how many of us had no intentions on becoming the crazy obsessive collectors we are with these things.

must be some chemical they coat the plastic with that makes us this way. we sure "drank the koolaid" on this exploding plastic inevitable. (sorry i just wanted to use that phrase)

the empty spots on my shelves mock me while they wait to be filled.

i had no intentions of getting two of anyone, here we are some dozen or so wolverines, and iron mans, and spideys later.

i went from "i'm not being suckered into buying costume variants" to "ok, well if i buy these i can just finish out that series".

i have actually considered buying movie figures?!?!?!? (thankfully i only purchased one nonlegends one)

eventually i know i will buy that stupid silver armored spider-man figure that i used to laugh about, probably the man-spider and spider hulk too.

oh well.

the nice thing though is when someone comes over, even if they think its ridiculous that i collect toys, they are impressed with the shear size of the collection.

I didn't collect any toys at all...and then walking through Target one night with friends, I found a ML 4 Beast for $4. I figured, what the heck...it's only $4 and he looks pretty cool. I bought him, ripped him out of the package, and began posing him. When I found out that he could stand on one arm, I was amazed...

Then, after a few days, Beast started looking lonely all by himself on my shelf. So I bought a straggling ML 3 Wolverine and ML 7 Silver Centurion Iron from Wal-Mart to accompany him.

Then, a few days later, I decided to see what other Marvel Legends had been made. I saw the ML 2 Thing and immediately flipped out...I had to have it. I bought him off eBay that day.

Then, I decided to check out the FA Hulk that had just come out. I opened him and was again amazed at how cool he was. But I had that Galactus piece just hanging around...and I considered buying the others. The marketing tool worked flawlessly, Toy Biz. Gradually over the next few weeks, I ended up buying all of the Galactus series.

And that was it. It was all over...I was hooked.

Now I have just about every ML, and similar 6" scale figures made.

All thanks to Beast.

I think my first figure were the figures from the X-men legends box-set, I found it really cheap online so i was like: "hey cool it has Rouge (ugly though), Gambit and Magneto." I think i got thst when wave 5 was out because i saw the phoenix figure was comming out but i could never find the damn thing. :(

Yeah my story's similar to yours except my 1st figure I believe was Colossus and then I bought the boxed set. I only started collecting because I learned they were making a Storm one.

I honestly got back into collecting when I saw the Ultimate Nightcrawler from the X-Men Classics line. I also bought the Iron man/ Mandarin face off pack at the same time. I can't thank Marvel enough for giving me a passion that myself and my girlfriend can enjoy together. You have honestly given me a past time that video production could never give me...an escape from the crazy world we live in. Thanks Marvel.

I think my first figure were the figures from the X-men legends box-set, I found it really cheap online so i was like: "hey cool it has Rouge (ugly though), Gambit and Magneto." I think i got that when wave 5 was out because i saw the phoenix figure was comming out but i could never find the damn thing. :(

Yeah my story's similar to yours except my 1st figure I believe was Colossus and then I bought the boxed set. I only started collecting because I learned they were making a Storm one.

lol i thought as much, I think i got Colossus imediatly afterwards. A buddy of mine has always been a Colossus fan so he bought me one to add to my collection, i was gonna stop after Storm and Iceman, but then Xavier came out and it just kinda went on and on.

It was the Spider-Man Classics Scorpion. I'd been aware of the original SMC line, but was underwhelmed. Three Spidey variants and that awful Venom? No thanks. The second series was just as bad as the first, and while I was tempted by the demonic Hobgoblin a couple series later, I never saw the damn thing, thanks to the shortpacking.

I just happened onto the Scorpion at Wal-Mart one day. He's an awesome figure, and I knew that I'd never see him again if I didn't get him right then. (Ironically, this was around the time the case ratios got a little better; I saw Scorpion several more times. And I actually would have preferred metallic Scorpy if I knew it was going to be released. Ah, well.)

And, as we've seen on this thread, one figure is all it takes...

Looking back, if I hadn't been so underwhelmed with the first few Spider-Man waves, I'd have probably amassed a much larger collection of figures, as I'd have had more incentive to dip into the actual Marvel Legends line. I'd have definitely gotten most of the first two waves of figures. Ah, well.

my roomate in college is a huge avengers fan, so when we went to the local toystore one day and he saw hulk, iron man, and captain america of wave one he scooped them all up and i thought that they were awesome and wished that they would make x-men figures like that. so a couple of years later when they released my favoriot x-man gambit i hopped on the band wagon. he collects all of the avengers still and i collect all of the x-men.

I was hugely into the XMen and Fantastuic Four when I was young. I remember turning my Masters of the universe into Xmen (I painted He man Silver as colussus, Teela had a white stripe in her hair as Rogue and I made Zodiac Wolverine Claws). I was depserate for X Men figures!! I always kept my eye on the Comics but resisted the temptation to buy any ML's, even though I saw them in the shops and loved 'em!

Then I got bought the XMen trilogy on DVD, although I had seen them at the cinema, I enjoyed them more on DVD. ON the afternoon after watching X3, I went to Woolworths and there was a lone Shadowcat figure on the shelves, reduced! I bought her and then wehen I got home, I decided to pay a visit to Forbidden Planet, that afternoon and bought Iceman, Beast and Nightcrawler. I vowed not to buy anymore but the next week I found myself at Toyrs R Us where they were selling X figures for £2.99 and bought Wolverine, Colussus, Cyclops, Storm, Juggernaught, Angel, and Gambit! i was then hooked and the rest followed!