What was the ML figure that got you into collecting?

Tonydabeanner

So it's been about 4 months since I decided to start collecting ML figures, I always saw them at stores but I never bought them because frankly; I thought they were too "weird" looking with all that articulation. I live in San Diego so I always head down to the comic-con but this year I noticed the huge Marvel Legends Logos on the Hasbro section and I decided to check it out. I saw the Blob BAF on display and I thought it was an awesome figure, I remember thinking it was huge! I noticed everyone around me was oogeling all the figures too and I realized it was time to upgrade from my X-Men 90's collection and give ML a chance. Now I'm kicking myself for passing on the awesome Toy Biz era and have a love/hate relationship with eBay.

Anyway that fat bastard Blob was my hook.

I'm not sure if there's another topic like this, sorry, I'm bored at work.

What's you guy's story?

It started with me in series 1 of the ToyBiz era. I picked up a gold Ironman, Hulk and Captain America at the malls GameStop. Out of the bunch it was CA that got me hooked, he was able to posed in great action shots. I loved that he came with a busted tank and American flag. I have to kick my self for not picking up a Toad when they went on clearance. Before, I too had a sizable 90's collection, but those soon made it to storage when these guys started out.

I think it was one of the first "super articulated" Spider-Man figures from the SMC line. I just looked so awesome, I knew I had to have it. It feels like a lifetime ago now... I think it was a good long while before I bought another one, and it was ML1 or ML2 (?) Hulk. At the time, it seemed awesome, but it's a piece of cr@p now. LOL.

wave 3 wolverine made me jump on board. then ghost rider right next to him :P toad was great. he nearly got me but back then i thought the line would stop after 2 or4 waves. i had so many 5-inshes and i wouldnt trade them. now i am happy that i did. i even buyed thor and i had no idea who he was :D

I started late.... just before wave 3 came out... and I never planned on collecting Marvel Legends.

In fact, when I first saw pics of them on the net, I thought they were ugly. You might be able to go back far enough and fine a post from me saying that they look stupid. I had never seen figures with so many joints, and I wasn't a fan at first.

But one day I ended up having like 10 bucks credit at Target. I looked around and didn't see anything I wanted... So I decided to go ahead and buy the ML2 Namor figure that had been sitting there for a long time, for 7 bucks.

The instant I opened the package I was in love! First I read the comic book, then I played with the figure... all in the car while I was waiting to pick up my brother from school @lol@

Then I took him home and posed him on my shelf on top of his stand.. freakin brilliant!

the next day I drove around to try to find all of wave 1 and 2... but only Ironman was available still at the time.

It took me a few weeks, to find the rest of the figures.

I passed on Toad and still don't regret it.

I scored Cap for $13, Hulk for $11, Rhino for $8, and Thing for $8 all at a toyshow.

I then found Doom for $10 and Torch for $7 at a collector's shop.

And a week or so later, ML3 came out at TRU and KB... and I was all caught up for the first time.

oh right, a short time later I found Trenchcoat Thing, back when he was kinda hard to find, and I traded him for Stealth Ironman here on the boards... lucky trade for me... Later on, as you all know, that Thing became a peg-warmer at KB.

i resisted ML for a long time, i already collecting star wars, simpsons, and bits from a few other lines, but the Apocalypse wave Wolverine baised on Astonishing X-Men that pulled me in. once i opened him up and saw how posable he was i had to have more.

orginally i was collecting trading card and transformers. but then a new toy store opened in my town and i went ot have a look. there i saw ml 3 thor, daredevil and magneto. i was deciding if i should buy something from this store and when i saw those i instantly went for thor. i went back a week later and got daredevil and magneto. then came series 6 and then series 9 and i have been using the internet and ebay since.

I'd had been collecting the little Toy Biz figures of the 1990's always wishing for better articulation, sculpt, scale and accessories. One day I was at a TRU and I saw a returned series 1 Iron Man without his face plate. I had never even heard of Marvel Legends so I was blown away by a dream that had materialized! I knew that Toy Biz had a hit that would outlast even MEGO's dynasty. 2007 and Marvel Legends are still going strong. I admit Emma Frost and Namor made me question that longevity for a moment there!

ml5 Blade, That was my first ml figure and went back and was able to get every figure for retail at stores and buying lots on ebay. And of course hugh thanks go to humanjoshernaut for the stealth iron man as a bady gift.

I think it was 2003 when I saw a Toad figure in my LCS, but i wasn't into action figures bacj then at all, so I decided not to purchase it.. even when I was really diggin' the figure (now you can imagine HOW MUCH I regret that desicion), a year later or so I saw a ML· Magneto in a toy shop near my parent's house I bought it, it was Magneto, damn... two months later I saw a Beast figure in the same shop and I couldn't help but took it to home with me...

And by then I was hooked...

I was a toybiz collector from the 90's. I hadn't seen anything cool in a while and was thinking about giving up the habit all together, then I saw Rhino and Spider-man. I grabbed them up and soon after my favorite hero of all time Captain America came out and oh what a slippery slope ML has become. @loll@

The first time I spotted a ML was in Blockbuster video of all places. They only had a Capt. America and an Ironman(series1) but I was amazed by the articulation and as soon as I opened them I was hooked. I started buying every new one I saw from then on. I started reading up on them and got wise quick to variants and all. It was fun to hunt all of the variants down or the shortpacked ones during the toybiz era. It's not so fun anymore now because I can't find Hasbro variants as easily. @grumpy@

Its ironic, i was never a big articulation person, i actually hated it. I used to just collect mostly mcfarlane figs. I did have a plethora of other figs but i was mostly concentrated on mcfarlane at the time. My friends were all big marvel legends people and i would look at them but i was like eh they arent detailed enough and too many joints. Then Colossus from series 4 came out and everything changed. And now i have well over 100+ marvel legends and i love them all.

the end

Was at KB Toys, had some cash to spare, looked around saw the MLs, was wave 2, saw Doom and thought might as well try these things out since Doom always was one of my favorite baddies, been hooked since(just glad a better looking Doom finally got made though hehehehe)

December 2006, at a Walmart shopping for gifts to my niece. Face-Off Series caught my eye, The Hulk and the Leader. I said to myself, . . . I never saw something so completely realistic like in the Marvel comic books. I used to collect books as a teenager, and these were fantastic! I said, I gotta have it for myself! I got it for myself instead . . . and got him a cheaper toy instead. Since then I got the other main characters off EBay . . . Thor, Iron Man, Spider-Man, Captain America (Face-Off). I just gotta have these classic Marvel Heroes!! Then Hasbro came along, and the available selection of characters started dropping off, just minor characters and movie figures, . . . the well is starting to dry. Hope they reissue newer updated sculpts of previous releases. Some of these earlier ones are dated old designs that need a revamp. Juggy, Ben Grimm, Storm, Cyclops, Iron Man, Dr. Doom. Some of them has been addressed but not all. Well, I gotta wait for these future waves and see . . . . . .

Originally I wasn't going to collect them... I was gonna stick with my Muppets and MOTU collection... and that was gonna be it... and then they went and made the coolest Collosus figure I had ever seen!!!! I was almost tempted by Gambit prior to this, but opted to ignore the temptation... Anyways... I picked up Mr. Rasputin and then saw the X-Men box set on clearance on Amazon.com... got two of those for 5 bucks each plus free shipping and an urban legends box set for 7 bucks (for customs)... basically I only have an interest in the X-Men characters so I don't buy them all... So I have every X-villain and hero that was made to date as well as the Exiles characters made to date. If they release any more from the Exiles team... I must have them! And I don't do variants so I only have Maskless Wolverine from the box set and AOA Wolverine (who I consider a different character)... if they did a series of AOA figures I would buy them as well.

i always saw the MLs everytime i shop back then, but i never bought any cause during that time, i was into collecting mcfarlane's sports picks nba action figures.. even though i'm a big marvel fan, i didn't grab any MLs cause i think if i buy one, i'll start to collect and i'll run dry of money.. that's what happened when i first saw a kobe bryant mcfarlane fig..i just had to get him.. and the collection started.. i was afraid for that to happen again, cause back then, i was still studying in college, and my allowance is the only money i have..

but one day, while shopping, i saw the war machine ML, heck, i love war machine, so, i grabbed the fig. i didn't open it (until november 7, 2007) and just kept it in my cabinet. and the thing i was afraid of happened. the hunt for the avengers ML started. and now, i'm expanding my ML collection with the addition of the villains, the bafs, and the other marvel heroes which are non-avengers. yeah, thanks to that one war machine fig, i still have no savings upto now, even though i've been working for almost two years.

How I got into Marvel Legends:

Back in the 90's Toy Biz offered a slew of Marvel characters, and a fan of the Avengers I bought a lot of stuff but wanted a new Thor. I was never able to find the Heroes Reborn Thor and the Original Avengers box set was too pricey back then. I eventually stopped collecting and moved from NY to Florida. Years went by and I decided to look up a Thor action figure online since the Spider-Man movies were making a buzz with their toys. To my surprise a new version of the Mighty Thor was coming out and I felt the urge to pick him up. At first the 6"-inch scale and the extra joints bothered me. (I hated the original super-articulated Spideys from the 90's). But man, had Toy Biz improved!! When I finally found ML3 Thor I picked him up and the ML3 Wolverine. Before I knew it I bought a Ghost Rider, a Movie Hulk figure, and the X-Men box set and my hunting for Legends was begun. My only regret is not buying the ML2 Namor back when i went to NY for a family re-union ... now if only I can find the FF Legends Namor .....

i remember telling myself i wasn't going to collect these new Marvel toys because they weren't in scale with the plethora of 5inch Marvel figures i had/have. And i felt like this new line 'wouldn't last'...

But then i saw Dr Doom from series 2, and thought "well, i'll just buy him" - then i saw Wolverine from the next line....and then i started buying all the figures that i could find that weren't a repeat figure (as in i didn't pick up brown Wolverine or movie Punisher or Gray & red armor ironman or Weapon X Wolverine).

I think within the last 2 years is when i got really bad and have been trying to buy all the figures i missed/ didnt bother buying. Now i pretty much buy every Marvel Legend.

It was a few years ago. I had just got back into reading Marvel Comics and was a huge fan of Deadpool. I was in my local toy shop , looking for transformers and saw ML Deadpool on sale for £5 :) . I bought him straight away and i've been a fan of the line ever since.

For me, the first Legend I bought was Storm. I saw them from time to time, but wasn't impressed. But on my way walking to my school, I passed "Merlin's Attic", a local hobby shop, and popped in. They had the original Storm, so I picked her up.

I didn't get supe into them until about year ago, and starting picking them up, and about 6 months ago, I started buying customs.