Your Thoughts on the line in 25th line in general

firefly69

Everyone is talking about figures they like or dislike but what about the line?

Does everyone like the new molding?

How about the vintage packaging?

And the fact that they are picking the best versions for each figure?

What are your thoughts?

I really like the line. Though I am kind of annoyed that they are releasing some of the figures in two packs. I mean for the twins it makes sense, but I guess I am going to have to break down and buy the ace wild weasel as well.

I wish they would stick with single packs.

Also, I don't like all the repaints but I understand why hasbro is doing it. It saves money, and people will generally buy a whole wave so if 1 out of 5 is a repaint they can make higher profits.

I just wish they would do more repaints like the destro, or flint one over the zillions of Se's and SS's.

How popular do you guys think this line will get? do you think they will get vehicles in the stores again?

lastly, how do you guys think this line will affect the vintage or some of the lines like valour vs venom, comic 3 packs etc?

Too much articulation. I know that sounds crazy, but its true.

The torsos suck. They should go back to o-ring. I dont like how they can easily do a 180, 360.. a human is not supposed to do that. The o=ring gave real flexibility, and always came back to its place if twisted. There's more realism with the o-ring. The toros are kinda Marvel Legends based, but this is GIJOE. GI Joe is O-ring all the way. Id like these figures more with the o-ring.

I dont like how the feet can also go 360. put one of the figures and turn its feet all the way back...then the torso...looks funny. Thats too much articulation, can you imagine somoenes foot doing that.unless theyre snapped, ken shamrock style. Some figures are kinda loose in teh foot, and they just look weird when they get turned around. Maybe if they just limited the foot movement, rather than the 360.

The arms are kinda weird too. The forearms can be bent in a very unnatural way...why? I cant think of a gun pose that would require that. The old style wasnt broken. I know they did it was a few DTC figures, I didnt like it.

In general, the overall new look is very nice. but stuff like the foot, torso and arms can be fixed.

They took some time for me to get used to but now I like the line. I still feem the best place for articulation is in the waist and not the upper torso since the belt lines usually covered up the seam. In the upper torso makes the figures look a bit unnatural to me. Not to mention they are now alot harder to customize which is annoying. The figures do seem to be getting better as the line moves forward but still needs some improvement.

Just because they can move a certain way does not mean you HAVE to do that.

I think this is what the Joe vs. Cobra stuff should have been like.

I like the articulation. I'm all for it as long as it does not take away from the look. The articulation his hidden pretty well.

The colors and sculpting is great. Accessories are good. Character selection is good.

I like the Comic packs just because it helps get more figures out quicker. I like the packaginf on single packs but I care more about the actual figures.

I give the line 9/10. All that is missing is new vehicles. That would make it a perfect 10.

There has been NOTHING I dislike about the line itself, other than the shortness of supply. The 5-packs, the singles especially, I love it all. I love the sculpting, the packaging, the articulation, the crotches, the character designs. It is pretty much the epitome of how I'd fantasize any toy line/property should be treated. I wish they'd have the sense to do this with Transformers.

I like mostly everything they have done with the line. But somethings REALLY bug me about it":

Too tall. These guys should be 3 3/4, not over 4 inches.

Funky elbow articulation. I hate those elbows. They should just use a bicep swivel and a normal elbow joint just like the originals.

Ugly torso joint. I don't think this joint is necessary at all, and it makes the figures look worse than they would without it. Have the joint at the waist and no torso joint.

Silly face sculpts. The bodies are more detailed now, but the faces are extra cheesy, and the heads are too small.

Posed hands. Why? give everybody a good, uniform hand, or give them extra hands so they can switch to a fist.

The foil packaging. It gets messed up too easily.

The cards. They are just too dang thin.

The bubbles. Accessory bubbles go above the figure bubbles. Don't squeeze the weapons in their with them

Accessories. The figures need to come with EVERYTHING the originals came with.

Artwork . Zaran was yux

Repaints. Its okay on some figures, But Flint is really hurt by having to use Duke's mold. So is shipwrecks skinny torso.

But even with all of these problems... I am buying new Joes for the first time... so they gotta be doing enough good things

I don't really know what molding means. I mean, I know Duke's shirt is a shirt, and that Destro's wearing boots. The molding is good. But I'm guessing you mean the feel of the figures, and the articulation. From the figures that matter (The 10 members of the GIJoe team released in 2007, the five Cobra High Command members...), yeah, all is as it should be. Duke and Roadblocks head molds are a little small, a little off. I plan on switching out Duke's head with Comic-Pack Hawk's, which looks closer to how I see Duke.

As far as articulation, everything except the elbow joint is stellar. Duke's arms should have been replaced by a proper short-sleeve mold for every other figure it's being used on (Flint, Rock 'N Roll, Breaker, etc). But the biggest problems, the hip articulation and the backpack holes are being taken care of. Just fix that elbow joint, Hasbro, and we've got a real winner.

It's nice. I'm buying every figure MOC, then buying seconds and thirds of the characters I really like for my loose display. I'm not usually a MOC collector, but the packaging is so vitagerific, I've decided to change my ways.

I dunno about "best", Hasbro seems to be going for "first", then "whatever else". Not many Joes got multiple outfits. In fact, Snake-Eyes' "best" version is almost unquestionably the 1985 figure, but Hasbro went full-force on the 1982 figure, forsaking and compromising on the 1985 uniform. Also, I'm sure most people are looking forward to a 1986 Roadblock, especially considering the lackluster 1984 figure. The 86 RB is definitely more iconic.

What are your thoughts?

Using the classic figure designs, and simply reproducing them with modern toy-making methods... it's the dream come true scenario you never see. None of us should ever forget that we're seeing something monumentally rare in the action figure industry. Hasbro's doing what we all hoped in our greedy little hearts they'd do, and really, the little set-backs along the way shouldn't blind us to the fact that we're getting a brand new G.I.Joe toyline that is, for all intents and purposes, the same thing as the 80's toyline.

Nitpicking goes hand in hand with collecting, I accpe that. But every now and then, we need to step back and look at the big picture. last year, we were getting strung around like a dog on a leash, getting sparse DTC releases, then seeing them at Toys R Us after we'd agonized over availability, all the while having them take a back seat to Sigma 6 and the 8" mafia... 2007 was a turn around, and 2008 is going to be the Year of RAH... as fans of this series, we could be doing a *LOT* worse.

Overall, I really do like this line.

My likes:

* The packaging

* The likeness (of most) to their original figures

My suggestions to Hasbro:

* I really wish they'd make the waists swivel

* Correct and standardize the waist so the figures can sit in vehicles

* No more closed fists (although Cross Country is most likely going to have one)

* Make these easier to find in retail!!!

* Get rid of the bare arm wrist joints, like on Flint and Duke, instead make the joints at the base of the hands like on the Cobra Troopers.

Everyone is talking about figures they like or dislike but what about the line?

I like to see what they are making. But I'm not that interested in collecting the line as it is. Buying every character over again in a totally new format got old with the 2002-2006 "new sculpts".

The mid torso joint looks strange still. Ball jointed heads are okay, but asthetically look odd from different angles.

It's nice.

That's open for debate, but retro designs are cool, I suppose.

What are your thoughts?

I'm not sure how long the retro aspect of the line will endure. When the movie hits Hasbro may switch themes.

How popular do you guys think this line will get? do you think they will get vehicles in the stores again?

Not that many and not very soon.

lastly, how do you guys think this line will affect the vintage or some of the lines like valour vs venom, comic 3 packs etc?

I think new collectors will mostly just want the new style.

There's only two things about this line I hate.

1. Re-tooling of existing molds is a cheap cop-out. I think that defeats the purpose of the 25th anniversary line. If they're going to go to the trouble of making such awesome figures with awesome detail, then EACH and EVERY one should be unique.

2. It's the 25 anniversary of the classic figures. Make them in their classic outfits!! Prime examples: Serpentor's sucky armor, Zartan's sucky outfit, Firefly's textured sweater.

1. Re-tooling of existing molds is a cheap cop-out. I think that defeats the purpose of the 25th anniversary line. If they're going to go to the trouble of making such awesome figures with awesome detail, then EACH and EVERY one should be unique.

2. It's the 25 anniversary of the classic figures. Make them in their classic outfits!! Prime examples: Serpentor's sucky armor, Zartan's sucky outfit, Firefly's textured sweater.

Re-Using Existing Molds IS a part of the GI Joe line and its what Hasbro has done from day one with the line and its kind of what comes with collecting the figures......plus its kind of a cool throwback in a way.

I really like the line......I've been all about it from day 1.....because since 2002 when the figures were back in the toy aisles it seemed like they (Hasbro) were always trying to find something that clicked. Both with the kids and collectors..........there were some products that really hit the spot with me when it came to capturing that feeling I had as a kid collecting these figures. Then there was stuff that I just bought and tolerated because it was GI Joe. So far I am loving everything that has come out with this line......except Serpentor....that figure is AWFUL!!!! I still haven't bought him......just on principle.

Keep it coming Hasbro......I'll Keep Buying. #US1#

I can understand why people would be pissed about the re-tooling. They feel each figure should be unique. I wouldn't mind that, but its expensive for hasbro, and probably not feasible.

As for all the figures not being vintage accurate, fair enough, some like it some hate it. I think hasbro felt that they could improve upon some of the weaker figures. Firefly i don't mind the sweater....he still looks bad ass. I also like zartan where he doesn't look like a belly dancer.

What do you guys think of the new comic packs?

I forgot, the main thing I like about this line is they are doing mostly figures from 82-86.... I think Storm shadow is the only figure after that time. I mean there might be about 10 figures that I want after those years but probably about 80+ that I would like to own from 82-86.

As for all the figures not being vintage accurate, fair enough, some like it some hate it. I think hasbro felt that they could improve upon some of the weaker figures. Firefly i don't mind the sweater....he still looks bad ass. I also like zartan where he doesn't look like a belly dancer.

I'm of the same mind on this issue. I'm glad they've kept, at least what I consider, all the major aesthetic elements of each character while dropping stuff that is clearly bygone from the '80s (like some of the gay open shirt looks). I also like things like Serpentor's sleeker looking costume (at least in the box art, even though it didn't quite come through on the figure itself).

I can understand that some people won't be satisfied with that, and I won't claim the way they chose is wholly or necessarily better than the other. I just personally prefer it this way. And I know there's arguments against that too -- i.e. "if some elements are 'too ridiculously '80s' then so is the whole character". But I think say Zartan's.. uhm.. "Zartan-ness" is defined by elements like his eye marks and the hair/hood, and not so much by elements like "open shirt showing chest".

What do you guys think of the new comic packs?

At $10-12 for two figures AND a comic, they sound like great deals. I could do without some of the repaints, and I don't even like some of the characters, but the sculpts are so beautiful I can't see how I'd pass them up.

well the molds are good the art is great. and hasbro has stepped it up with the new figs. now the downer is that these are not the most customizable figs. as you cant switch out the waists and chests. now if the were Oringed they would be perfect . the hands are kind of small but over all they are great figs. i love the useable holster, removable gear & how close they got them to look like the 80s figs.

Re-Using Existing Molds IS a part of the GI Joe line and its what Hasbro has done from day one with the line and its kind of what comes with collecting the figures......plus its kind of a cool throwback in a way.

I agree, but I only want to see it where they've done it before.

Let's face it - they could have made enough money on a properly done Flint and SE V2, almost definitely two of the TOP FIVE figures/characters of the ENTIRE ORIGINAL LINE, to warrant new molds for them. As far as saving on parts, we've got all sorts of other variants they could do instead of characters like this, including almost everyone in the Original Thirteen.

I agree, but I only want to see it where they've done it before.

Let's face it - they could have made enough money on a properly done Flint and SE V2, almost definitely two of the TOP FIVE figures/characters of the ENTIRE ORIGINAL LINE, to warrant new molds for them. As far as saving on parts, we've got all sorts of other variants they could do instead of characters like this, including almost everyone in the Original Thirteen.

Exactly. It may not mean much to some, but Flint & Snake Eyes are two of my top favorites. These little details are pretty important to lots of collectors. Good call on v.2 Snake Eyes. That was another I forgot to mention. If any figure deserved an entirely new sculpt, it's that one. And while Firefly still looks cool, I keep thinking how much cooler he'd look if they had only given him an acurate chest sculpt. I doubt these minute changes would bankrupt a large company like Hasbro.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted for nearly a year on the GI Joe forums since I stopped collecting but I just have to say that the GI Joe 25th Anniversary was cool. I haven't bought one and I will tell you the truth, one of the reasons is primarily availability. Granted, I could travel and hit every store in the three counties that I used to do but within the last two months, I've only seen Snake Eyes, Cobra Commander, Stalker and that was it. Also, the different 25th Anniversary box sets.

I went by Wal-Mart....only the box sets and a cobra commander, really nothing on the shelves. Target, only the box sets. So, either my area is not stocking them or the demand is so high, they are disappearing off shelves.

I think whether a GI Joe fan or a Star Wars fan, 2007 offers figures that you have bought many times in the past now with better articulation and they look good. Although, I have not bought one, I think the fact that these are back on the shelves is great. Although, I would love to see an animated cartoon released for kids. Part of my enjoyment back then by collecting in the 80's is having the cartoons and comics coinciding with the toys. Now, I'm not sure if people who are buying them are those of us who grew up with GI Joe or the kids these days. I'm a father, would love my kid to be interested in GI Joe but the thing is, what he sees now are Transformers cartoons on Cartoon Network and he enjoyed the movie, so all he wants are Transformers. But new molding is cool, and I think any collector, new or old should be happy with them.

For me, the vintage packing is one of the reasons that wants to pull me out of "toy hunting retirement". I love the new packaging!

Well, I haven't seen many of them but what has been released ala 25th Anniversary box sets or what I see left dangling on shelves but I think that's cool.

What are your thoughts?

I really like the line. Though I am kind of annoyed that they are releasing some of the figures in two packs. I mean for the twins it makes sense, but I guess I am going to have to break down and buy the ace wild weasel as well.

--

Now if two packs are the only way to get certain figures, that sucks because the shelves stocking two packs like Target pre-2005 when we had Valor vs. Venom and even Wal-Mart, the shelf space for GI Joe is ridiculous. That leaves stores like TRU or online and from what I have been reading, costs for these have jacked up in price. That truly sucks. I prefer to see more single packs than double packs and here's another thing that kind of sucks about ordering online, when it comes to GI Joe, I have this thing about the seams in front of their legs with that crack. I have to go through so many comic packs to find a figure where the crack on the seam is not too exposed. Thus, ordering online I've always been weary. I will say that the DTC figures, have been good but the comic packs...I have to search through many to find a good figure.

But if sales are good for "GI JOE" and the film coming up, you ask yourself, what next?

Will we have something similar to Star Wars and Marvel Legends, where each year, we will have these newer molds with a different head, different leg, re-painted, etc. Do we think that the 25th Anniversary will be the best. What about the 30th Anniversary and so on? [Esp. if you were a Star Wars Collector and you saw what was released for 25th and now see what was released in this year's 30th].

So, coming from a "retired collector", oh hell yeah, the new packaging and seeing my favorite figures released with new molds are awesome. When the older original figures come out with new molds, will probably be stoked! But from what I'm seeing, I would be pulling my hair out because the availability via retail for these 25th Anniversary GI Joe are not as easy as other Hasbro toy lines.