Iron Spider-Man figure review

TomTom

Tony Stark made a gift of this costume as a way of welcoming Spider-Man to membership in the Avengers. It represents his status as a member in good standing of the super hero community, and of course, an employee of Stark International and an associate of the invincible Iron Man.

In addition to housing features that enhance the new powers with which Spider-Man has been gifted, this new costume is far more versatile than the old. It responds instantly to the mental commands of its wearer, shifting appearance or extruding an array of tools and weapons. In addition, it offers increased protection as its liquid metal construction is nearly bulletproof. It also features a trio of retractable "spider legs" which can supplement the hero's hands in combat.

Nope, no quirky banter for the beginning.

The body for all the Signature Series figures (even Wolverine, sadly) is the same one used 8 years ago by Hasbro for their DC 9" line. At least with Spider-Man, they all look like the same guy.

Since he is wearing a cloth outfit, his outfit doesn't need to be changed in order to accommodate the articulation (like the Origins figure). Unfortunately, since it's cloth, the suit doesn't have any of the shininess (is that a word?) of the suit from the comics. Hasbro did a good job of making the colors of the cloth and of the plastic match, however. The only thing that can be said about the sculpt (except that it's overused) is that it's fairly proportional. The legs are slightly longer than the arms, as they should be, and the chest wasn't made overly big to make him look buff. 8 years, and still holding strong.

What's not holding strong is the articulation. Yes, there are all sort of doodads that will guarantee the right pose, but he's missing two key points: thighs, and a ball jointed neck. Yes, he still has a swivel neck, but it always looks down. Anyway, he has: swivel neck, ball-jointed shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, ball-jointed wrists, hinged fingers, some sort of torso joint (more on that later), ball-jointed hips, hinged knees, and ball-jointed ankles. The ankles, shoulders, wrists, and fingers (oddly) are ratcheted, for some stability. I haven't tried putting him on his hands, but that's a definite possibility. The torso joint is extra good. At first, I thought it was a hinge, because of the huge forward/backward movement, but it turns out it's a ball-joint. Add in the fact that the waist is also ball-jointed, and you have a significant range of motion. Hasbro, start making all your torso joints like this one! Still despite that great area, it doesn't change the fact he has no thighs. The limbs need to be updated for thighs and double joints.

As far accessories go, he has the three "spider-legs". They plug into his "harness" attach to his back (note: harness is not removable), into three different sized holes. Why? God knows. All truth to be told, the legs were the only real reason I got this figure so I could use them in a custom Iron Spidey. They attach to the harness with swivel joints, and are solid all the way through.

So is this a figure worth getting? If you have other Signature Series figures, yes. I got mine on clearance for $7, so he was a pretty sweet deal. I don't know what I'll do with the body after I make that custom, though. I decided to post this on the forum because the figure isn't in the database.

Megos were my first action figures and I did really like them. They don't really compare to ML now though. I did pick up a few First Appearances for nostalgia's sake when they came out, but I'm not going to get any signature figures.