Disheartening to say the least

blndweasel

I visited my local Walmart today (Clairemont Dr. in SD) and they completely pulled their 25th anniversary pegs from the shelves!!!

I've been highly suspicious of this location for some time now. In over 20 visits over the past three months, I've only seen the remnants of a couple cases there on ONE occasion. I'm trying to write it off as local scalper activity, but something tells me it's an inside job.

How hard would it be for a floor worker to put the pegs up somewhere else in the store (so that they could still be scanned for inventory) and therefore hide figures from would-be buyers (collectors such as myself)?

Another thing I noticed at my local Target, is that they have an excess inventory of "The Corps" or one of those other wannabe Joe lines, so much so that they are ending up on the 25th Joe pegs. I realized the other day, that if an inventory clerk isn't paying attention, they'll scan the peg and count what they find there (regardless of whether they're actually 25th figs, which in this case they're not), therefore leading to a false count, and causing shipments which would otherwise be arriving at the store to be diverted to other locations.

Is there any likelihood that any of this is going on? I've never worked in large-retail before, this is all deduction on my part.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I visited my local Walmart today (Clairemont Dr. in SD) and they completely pulled their 25th anniversary pegs from the shelves!!!

I've been highly suspicious of this location for some time now. In over 20 visits over the past three months, I've only seen the remnants of a couple cases there on ONE occasion. I'm trying to write it off as local scalper activity, but something tells me it's an inside job.

How hard would it be for a floor worker to put the pegs up somewhere else in the store (so that they could still be scanned for inventory) and therefore hide figures from would-be buyers (collectors such as myself)?

Another thing I noticed at my local Target, is that they have an excess inventory of "The Corps" or one of those other wannabe Joe lines, so much so that they are ending up on the 25th Joe pegs. I realized the other day, that if an inventory clerk isn't paying attention, they'll scan the peg and count what they find there (regardless of whether they're actually 25th figs, which in this case they're not), therefore leading to a false count, and causing shipments which would otherwise be arriving at the store to be diverted to other locations.

Is there any likelihood that any of this is going on? I've never worked in large-retail before, this is all deduction on my part.

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I think until you know for CERTAIN what's going on here, it's best not to assume and create a vitriolic acid build-up towards some presumptive Walmart employee insider- who may or may not exist. The reason I mention this is not to build ire or resentment between you and I, but to state a simple fact: not all Walmart's stock 25th Joes. For instance, most of the Walmart's here in AZ (at least in the East Valley) do, but one specific store- and a brand new store to boot- doesn't. I've been to that store on at least 4 occasions over a several month period, and never seen a single 25th Joe on the pegs. Moreover, they don't even appear to have associated pegs to accomodate Joes, even if there were any. Does this mean some insider is hording Joes for his/her own collection or eBay business, or that simply this location doesn't stock them? It's really difficult to say without knowing for certain one way or the other.

I guess what this all really comes down to is; do you want to perceive an enemy, or do you know that one exists? :-)

hey Blndweasel!

are you aware that there is a Notorious local collector club in your area?

we are the SOCAL DREADNOKS!!! we meet once or twice a month either in Mira Mesa at Novs house

or in the southside at Sams house.

your welcome to join the messaqe board and attend our meetings

http://www.socaldreadnoks.com

we basically buy trade things people have picked up for others and or talk about the toys comics movies etc some, we eat drink and have a good time!

we are having a mini meeting tomorrow in mira mesa if your interested!

we can help you find the joes your looking for,

Killuminati

Well I was at Target yesterday and saw something that was anything BUT disheartening. GI Joe 25th ann. figures FULLY stocked with figures from every wave from 1-3. This includes Flint and NO Snake Eyes and NO Storm Shadow. Is that not what we've all been asking for? :)

Well I was at Target yesterday and saw something that was anything BUT disheartening. GI Joe 25th ann. figures FULLY stocked with figures from every wave from 1-3. This includes Flint and NO Snake Eyes and NO Storm Shadow. Is that not what we've all been asking for? :)

=O

*starts calculating how much it costs to move to this mythical utopian.. MN*

Joes,

I noticed the same thing at the Super Wal-Mart in St. Petersburg, FL. The 25th pegs that were there last week are gone, now fully stocked with Naruto or some such crap. The labels were gone and all they had was 2 of the CObra Legions sets.

The crappy Wal-Mart in Clearwater closer to me always has at least a few 25th figs throughout the week, mostly the Joe version of SS and the SE w/timber left over.

At this point, though, I'm just army building cobra troopers and red ninjas, but I hope this trend doesn't continue.

JLT

What are your thoughts?

I don't think so on either point... but as for Target,I am pretty sure they would scan an actual item off the pegs to do their count... not just an "eye" count.

I think its just a matter of stores (such as Wal-mart and Target) not be able to keep up with orders. I'm not saying the scalpers don't have something to do with it too. Hell its much easier to find anyone of the 25th on ebay, but it takes the thrill of hunting them down yourself. I've found all the figures where I live, but their scattered and no store has more than a case or two. Hasbro wants to continue this line into 2008, but I worry that the retailers just won't let that happen because of their stupidity.

hey Blndweasel!

we are the SOCAL DREADNOKS!!! we meet once or twice a month either in Mira Mesa at Novs house

we basically buy trade things people have picked up for others and or talk about the toys comics movies etc some, we eat drink and have a good time!

Killuminati

Well I guess that answers my question, doesn't it...

No, I won't join your little scalper club. In fact, I'll make it my sworn mission to continue collecting Joes despite your despicable activity in my area.

If you call yourself the dreadnoks, then call me the MFing commando -- I'm going to swoop in and get the Joes I rightfully should have a chance to buy AS A COLLECTOR. If you buy more than you are keeping for yourself, then I'm sorry, favors for friends is one thing, but arbitrarily buying anything on the pegs "in case" someone else in your little club wants it is total BS. You're no better than the scum on ebay hoarding everything and selling it at an incredible markup.

I buy these figures because I can remember buying them in the stores when I was a KID, with money I saved up for a couple of weeks (mom and dad couldn't afford that sort of stuff), so for me, it's all about walking in and finding them in the store... a little bit of nostalgia in a world of toys that is otherwise, for the most part, awfully depressing (except for Lego, and the occasional Star Wars re-tooled mold that is).

Just know this... by clearing the retailers shelves of this stuff, you're depriving true collectors such as myself from the excitement they would otherwise feel upon finding their beloved childhood treasures on the pegs. Not to mention, you're preventing ANY young kid who'se growing up right now from sharing in the wonderful world of Joe. I dunno, maybe you enjoy those sorts of selfish acts.

Perhaps some day you'll realize this, and know the pleasure of leaving behind really desireable figures for others to have a shot at, once you've gotten what you need for your own collection.

I stand by what's right, and I don't take more than my fair share. YO JOE!!!

No, I won't join your little scalper club. In fact, I'll make it my sworn mission to continue collecting Joes despite your despicable activity in my area.

If you call yourself the dreadnoks, then call me the MFing commando -- I'm going to swoop in and get the Joes I rightfully should have a chance to buy AS A COLLECTOR. If you buy more than you are keeping for yourself, then I'm sorry, favors for friends is one thing, but arbitrarily buying anything on the pegs "in case" someone else in your little club wants it is total BS. You're no better than the scum on ebay hoarding everything and selling it at an incredible markup.

I buy these figures because I can remember buying them in the stores when I was a KID, with money I saved up for a couple of weeks (mom and dad couldn't afford that sort of stuff), so for me, it's all about walking in and finding them in the store... a little bit of nostalgia in a world of toys that is otherwise, for the most part, awfully depressing (except for Lego, and the occasional Star Wars re-tooled mold that is).

Just know this... by clearing the retailers shelves of this stuff, you're depriving true collectors such as myself from the excitement they would otherwise feel upon finding their beloved childhood treasures on the pegs. Not to mention, you're preventing ANY young kid who'se growing up right now from sharing in the wonderful world of Joe. I dunno, maybe you enjoy those sorts of selfish acts.

Perhaps some day you'll realize this, and know the pleasure of leaving behind really desirable figures for others to have a shot at, once you've gotten what you need for your own collection.

I am just mildly baffled, stupefied, and a bit mind-boggled by this response. The SoCal Noks are a good bunch of guys who have a common interest and look out for one another. They don't know you from Adam, but Kill invited you to come check 'em out and find more people in your area with like interests. This was a very spoiled brat response. A network of friends and collector pals is what its all about. I don't have more than a couple of buddies in my area that actually collect, but we look out for each other. We don't clear the pegs, but if I need an item and so do they I buy one for all of us (if available.)

Perhaps you should re-read his response and not take it as a threat on 'your' turf. It was an offer to help you get things - in equal trades and/or at cost no less. You get what you want and aren't paying a premium for a finders fee. So much for hospitality. Sheesh.

According to the asst. manager at a local Wal-Mart, each store of theirs only gets a certain allocation of cases and they can't demand any more than that. This rather limits the amount of feedback on customer demand they can give it seems. (Not sure which bright mind in Wal-Mart's regional distribution came up with such a scheme, but doesn't seem to help them, or us at the least.) Maybe need to go higher up and find somebody who can do something? When stores in the '80s would sell out of stuff, my understanding is that someone woke up an' said, "Hey! We need to get more of these!" <_<

When I was at one of the newer Super Wal-Marts here in the Houston area looking for Joes, I noticed no pegs or Sigma 6 or anything on the shelves. I asked the guy working the section at the time about it and he said that store just didn't stock Joe stuff. I really doubt there's some inside job going on, most likely they just don't stock them anymore or are waiting for the next reset to do so.

We just got a new Super Wal-Mart to replace the regular one. They have never had a spot or pegs for Joe stuff, not even S6. My brother got hired there before it opened and the toy manager told him they would not be carrying Joes at all.

What it looks like is these new Wal-Marts are going off of the last reset before the 25th series was out. I am hoping they will add them after the next reset, next year.

Perhaps some day you'll realize this, and know the pleasure of leaving behind really desirable figures for others to have a shot at, once you've gotten what you need for your own collection.

I am just mildly baffled, stupefied, and a bit mind-boggled by this response. The SoCal Noks are a good bunch of guys who have a common interest and look out for one another. They don't know you from Adam, but Kill invited you to come check 'em out and find more people in your area with like interests. This was a very spoiled brat response. A network of friends and collector pals is what its all about. I don't have more than a couple of buddies in my area that actually collect, but we look out for each other. We don't clear the pegs, but if I need an item and so do they I buy one for all of us (if available.)

Perhaps you should re-read his response and not take it as a threat on 'your' turf. It was an offer to help you get things - in equal trades and/or at cost no less. You get what you want and aren't paying a premium for a finders fee. So much for hospitality. Sheesh.

LMAO!!! I don't know either party, but the dreadnok guy seemed like he was being inviting....The other guy must be joking, that response can't be real....

hey Blndweasel!

Killuminati

Perhaps some day you'll realize this, and know the pleasure of leaving behind really desireable figures for others to have a shot at, once you've gotten what you need for your own collection.

yeah man, how dare you invite this guy into your GiJoe club thingy.... don't you understand that collecting GiJoes helps him to stay a child??? He wants to be a child man! Can't you tell by his behavior?

Yeah, I know that Walmart and I can attest that they never have any GIJoe at all!!! I've been checking for 2 years! No VvV and especially no 25th! But for some reason I keep coming back.

And no, we are not scalpers, but we are army builders and we do leave items behind when nobody in the club needs them any more.

I'm in the United Kingdom and let me say i haven't seen GIJOE on the pegs in years! :P

As for the actual reason why one branch of a store would pull down their assortment and move it or stop stocking it.. who knows?

It could of been an area managers decision.. :huh:

I find sometimes stuff on ebayUK will get bid on frantically by people up in Scotland.. because partly i think not all the major toy stores up in Scotland get everything in. It only then leaves ebay as their alternative route, (unless they drive south).

Looking at some ebaystores i noticed places in the Midland have stuff and sellers have stuff weeks if not months in advance before any retail store around me has it (I'm NW of england) so I really think this problem of yours at Walmart could be similar.

Sometimes a store might not sell well in one region or area and uproute to another area where it's selling out or doing progressively better.

I'm not saying this is the case here, just guessing..

#WTF# #Granade# now this is a first? you put an open invitation to someone to meet other collectors, and they respond like this? How many post do you have? honestly dude you need to get a grip, seriously

this is like you walking into a bar to pick a fight with me, and not knowing that everyone in the bar has my back...not yours. If you cant find the joes you want, then look harder douchebag! If your too inept to have friends to look for you, then get some social skills! On this board and others the Noks and I have a untarnished rep around, and wont let some one hit wonderturd like you, sully it with this crap.

KILL

HOLY CRAP! The SoCal Dreadnoks scalpers, what a joke. Ill admit I bought alot of 25th figures off my fellow Noks. But we arent horders thats for sure. Ive left lots of 25th figures on pegs.

If you want to make it your MISSION to get everything so we cant go ahead waste your gas, money and time. The only thing you are really doing is missing out on a very cool experience being able to hang out with other local GI Joe collectors.

When I first saw youre post about not finding Joes in San Diego I was like COOL another San Diego member to join the crew. But then you rant and rave about what scumbags we are. Well you loss. Ask anyone here we are a great crew to be around.

BTW you werent the only one who bought GI Joes as a kid. Im pretty sure we all did and Im sure a bunch of us also had to save our money(from parents, cutting grass, and collecting cans), so we could buy GI Joes.

Another thing you arent the only TRUE COLLECTOR here either. Have you ever gotten up a 4am to drive 3 hours to get to a garage sale just to get a good deal on a USS FLAGG. I did, and I did it with my crew of SOCAL NOKS! It was a great adventure and we had a great time. You know what I did as a TRUE COLLECTOR I formed the SoCal Dreadnoks, made T-shirts for a JoeCon, helped make a GI JOE fan movie, and throw an annual party for the DDP crew.

Thanks for making reminding me why I HATE the internet. Me getting blasted by E-Thug. I tell you what friend, we are having a meeting later this month. If you want to blast us in person come on down, Ill pay for you pizza.

If not please keep your childish and untrue comments to yourself.

BTW if you need any 25th figures call me or thats right we cant work together. Any other SoCal Joe fans if you are looking for anything PM or call me.

forget my last post this should have been my reply.....

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL