Ray Park Cast as Snake-Eyes

RobbieDigital

I like the flashback idea, but I don't know about showing his face. Even partially obscured may be too much - it may need to be almost completely obscured in the shadows. The truth is that with these types of characters, the "cool factor" goes way down when you know too much about them. Darth Vader taking off his mask at the end of Return of the Jedi made for a great ending, but he would have been as cool throughout the series if we had seen his face earlier. In fact, showing his dorky childhood and whiny adolescent years took quite a bit away from him too. Sure, we got to learn about his character but that took away from his mystique. Snake Eyes is the same way, I think. Personally, I don't think we should know too much about him - save it for the sequel maybe.

I think that logic is flawed. Who thinks Wolverine is less cool because you learned his origin in the 2nd movie? No one. And Vader suffered from a crappy telling of his backstory. If they had done him as a corrupted adult in search of power instead of a confused child, he'd still be cool. Snake Eyes has an awesome backstory that does not take away from the character. In fact, it enhances it. Snake Eyes writing in the sand to continue the mission with his face burned off is ultimate badass.

I completely disagree - no one was confused by Darth Vader, or Aragorn in the first LOTR movie, or Wolverine in the first X-Men. The mystery is part of the character! The fact that they DON'T know about him makes him all the more interesting - it's a proven concept time and time again.

Vader is a villian. Imagine if it was Luke who wore a mask and had no origin whatsoever. Bad guys can get away with it because you don't need to connect with them. If you want to feel anything at all for Snake Eyes, he needs to be more than just a silent killing machine. Don't forget that it didn't take long in comic book time before Snake's origin started to get revealed and his origin is a huge part of what makes him so cool and memorable. You know Hasbro. Snake Eyes will end up a main character. He needs a backstory.

And using Wolverine to back up your theory doesn't make sense. Wolverine's origin was a MYSTERY. Snake Eyes' origin is not. It's not a mystery what happened to him. It just wasn't revealed initially. So unless you want to change it that no one knows why Snake Eyes is like that (which makes no sense. Who would hire a mute soldier?), then you have to concede that the other characters know. If they know, the audience should no. The fact that his face was burned off saving Scarlett makes him a tragic character. It's a great story on it's own. Why bury it? He's not Wolverine. He can't talk. You can't connect with him that way.

On top of that, you KNOW Hasbro will have him battle Storm Shadow in the movie. Without a bit of their backstory, their battles will have no context. Once again, without origins in the movie it will be a bunch of characters running around fighting for no particular reason. I loved Transformers, most people did. But the first knock on Transformers is that none of them have an origin. They just show up. Hell, most of the decepticons just materialize in the second act with no reference to where they've been and where the hell they came from. It does take away from the movie whether you want to admit it or not.

Louis

I agree completely. Snake Eyes is a person, first and foremost, that the audience needs to connect with on a human level, and showing his face humanizes him. it is the concept of Snake Eyes as a super hero ninja that the comic turned into that is lame about G.I. Joe and I hope that angle is avoided in the film.

Snake Eyes voice should NEVER be heard. And his face should Never be shown.

thats how it was for the cartoon, and for the longest time, the comic too.

Sure, have a flashback or something that shows what happened, but nobody needs to see his face or hear him.

I think his Height shouldn't be a problem.

Besides, the only Joe characters I ever considered tall & big were Roadblock, Gung-Ho, Sgt. Slaughter, and Destro.

I agree, I would however add Beachhead onto that list, while he isn't overly tall like RB in the DDP comics he is portrayed as being tall n built, thats the Beachhead I know.