BOTCON DATE ANNOUNCED!!!

Rodimus Primal

I guess what lit my fire about this topic the most is since 1994 I have never had a Botcon happen close by to me

Would of killed them to do Florida?

I know others would love to see it in a nearby state or closer.

I think one of the problems in this debate is defining what the convention is meant to be. I thought it was supposed to be something for the fans to enjoy. A celebration among other things. So I happen to think a better effort needs to made to include more fans directly or indirectly. Access to the exclusives is the indirect way to include them.

What about doing multiple conventions? One is already booking hotels full at frightening speeds.

Seriously, I think they could do just as well running several yearly conventions around the country, at different times of course, giving a lot more people the chance of attending one.

It's not that they can't produce more and sell them at a more reasonable price...they just don't want to. MC is perfectly happy being small and catering to the few rather than opening up and actually better serving the fandom....which I think is important seeing they run the official fan club as well.

If the load would be too big for them to handle then I think Hasbro should seek another organization to run it's club and convention.

Would it have KILLED them to do GA,HI,MI,AL,CA,TN,KY,NY,TX....etc? For all those people who would have loved to see it closer to them, it seems there was someone else who was THRILLED at the location.... I would have loved to have seen it closer to me, but oh well, tough titties.

New Botcon, same old complaints, same speaking for some nebulous of fans, despite evidence to the contrary; ie: the hotel filling up, same ideas of throwing away other people's money to cater to your convenience. Dude, you SERIOUSLY need to take a course in business economics, and read up on practical logistics if you really believe what you are saying....

NONE of the stuff is as easy as you say it is, and it would involve at least TRIPLE the staff they currently employ working YEAR round, then of course the JOE FANDOM would want the same thing...guess what? The SAME staff works BOTH conventions... Sure your answer is to hire more people (always quick to burn other people's money) without looking at any of the metrics and benefits versus actual cost and disadvantges, and it really aint as simple as throwing more people at a problem..also the locations they choose arent just done by throwing a dart at a board, they have to be:

1. At a hotel adjoinig a large enough convention hall

2. At a location vendors are willing to travel to

3. In a somewhat touristy metropolitan area with stuff to do outside the con (malls and such within walking distance)

4. In a hotel that isnt a dive, and that people will feel safe staying in, yet still meet that 130ish a night threshold for a solid week

5. In a location fans are willing to travel to, and most people consider what there is to do after 5 PM in whatever location.

Those are just SOME of the things that have to be considered, not to mention some hotels prabably back out from time to time. The con is ALWAYS going to be inconvienent timing or too far for a significant amount of the fandom.

Here's an idea, instead of complaining to the heavens this year, how about you put aside 50 bucks of your toy budget a month for the next 3 months ( I KNOW you spend that much ) and when fun pub puts out their order form, you're already at least half way through the price of a box set...you ALREADY KNOW the set is going to involve at least one classic fig, and most likely more.

You know WHEN it is, you have an idea of what the set is going to be, you KNOW that it will likely sell out quickly. ALL of your arguments from last year are negated, other than price, so if you are simply balking at the price thats your perogative. If you are 100% against paying fun pubs price that's your choice. But coming on here and complaining 6 months BEFORE the fact really shows that you really aren't interested in doing anything other than griping and complaining.

And comparing SDCC to botcon is laughable, their exclusives are produced in FAR greater number than fun pub, and unlike SDCC, EVERYONE has an equal chance of getting a fun pub set, and fun pub bases their order on the initial demand, so if 5000 people ordered boxsets in week one or two, they will order AT LEAST 5000 sets, show me where else you can fax or mail in a form, and then sit on your duff until the set arrives...oh yeah, you can take off work (HOPEFULLY on the right day) and spend all day refreshing the HTS page hoping to get stuff in your cart, and that it doesnt get sold before you process, or that the site doesnt time out or crash, yeah thats waaay better, just ask all the people who attempted to get nemesis prime, rodimus or Gold Head Pimp Daddy Destro.

Bottom line dude, you didnt get a set last year, you offered up every excuse under the sun from not having enough time to order, to your personal financial problems, even though you still spent $600+ on toys 3 months prior, to saying its FP fault for underestimating demand. You KNOW the order form is likely coming around Jan-Feb, You KNOW the demand is going to be high and it will benefit you to get your order in quickly, You KNOW the set will likely contain figures you "need" and you KNOW how much its going to cost.

You can pontificate all you want dude, but at the end of the day it boils down to put up or shut up. I want a viper, but since the most I am willing to pay is 30,000 bucks for a car and vipers arent getting any cheaper I guess I have to go without. Dodge didn't even care that my wife bought a stratus...go figure. NOBODY likes paying exclusive prices for a figure, but it is what it is, it either worth it or it isnt. Once you make a decision, pining for YEARS after the fact really makes no sense.

If you want the set, start taking the steps NOW to ensure you get one, be that selling off excess toys or doing overtime or whatever. If all you are interested in doing is having a personal pity party with like minded people EVERY time the word botcon or seekers is mentioned, well I really dont know what to say to that....I got nothin'

I have never complained about Botcon until this new group took over, The old group used to put items online to buy after the con like the SDCC

Oh god forbid I said a bad thing the San Diego Comic Con a more classier and better run convention

Does it bother me that ther not near me? Hell no

Orlando has a convention center a really huge one were they have Megacon every Feb and even American Idol has used it for auditions

Oh yeah Orlando is the home of Disney World it has hotels and places to go after 5pm.Downtown Disney is a great place to visit especially the Hasbro store

I stated Florida but even if it was in Atlanta that 8 hours from here and I could of gone

I stated that i'm tired of them NEVER being nearby

I guess your one of the people who have the money for exclusives,hotels ,food and gas. Some of us can't afford alot or do have issues that keep us at home and can't get away.

Nobody just HAS the money laying around, they have to save up for it, they plan way ahead like deathblade was saying.

If I ever went to Botcon, it wouldn't be JUST for botcon, I would take as much money as I could bring, do tons of sightseeing wherever it was, plan a fun route to drive down there and a completely different route to drive back to enjoy, go to botcon, not worry about the exlcusives AT ALL, because they're just repaints, and you can get the SAME toys (in different colors) in any store for a fraction of the price, and I would just have a fun time!

I'm not saying expanding is an easy thing. NEVER HAVE.

That's all part of the challenge of running a growing business. And nobody ever said having a con in EVERY city, just MAYBE more than one. Say 2 or 3. But that's just spitballing and idea, you don't have to get all dramatic about it.

The fandom is growing by leaps and bounds, and what have they done to capitalize on it???

We're just talking ideas here, so why the hell is it so offensive to you Deathblade????

Ideally, yeah, saving up is the best thing...if you can fit in something like a botcon trip.

Deathblade, quit talking about what was going on with last years set. Things happened that YOU HAVE NO FRICKING IDEA ABOUT! So quit making it seem like you have it all figured out..YOU'RE NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

Look man, last years exclusive set sold out within days of being fully revealed. SO THE DEMAND IS THERE AND THEN SOME! The whole "we can't produce cheaper figures if there's no demand for them" when there's a crapload of demand, BUT NOT AT THOSE PRICES for the majority. Last year was a freak occasion because it was such a sought after set, but they most certainly would have sold A LOT more of the previous years sets if they were more easily accessible and of course affordable.

If they sell 4,000 sets at wallet bleeding prices in days, don't tell me they couldn't have sold twice that amount at half the price with relative ease. Cuz they would have. You know it, and I know it!

This is the LAST TIME I'm going through this...

Just because I got a lot of stuff in the same general time frame, uh, hello....DOESN'T MEAN I PAID FOR IT ALL AT ONE TIME. Some of what I had in those hauls came from prepaid orders I had weeks or months in advance and a boatload of clearance. I don't think $600 was even close to what I spent. Perhaps if I paid regular price, but in most cases I didn't.

THAT WAS NOT WHAT KEPT ME FROM BUYING THE EXCLUSIVES EITHER!!!

From time to time people have these little things called EMERGENCIES that pop up. Sometimes these events put a bit of a financial strain on people. Well, guess what happened? I had OTHER things I had to take care of and that kind of set back the plans I had to buy the exclusive sets.

Bad timing. I accept that. I just never will accept the price. Even if I can afford it, and do pay it...doesn't mean I like it.

I'll be on their case about it for the lousy pricing even if I do get the exclusives. Because there's no reason they need to be THAT expensive. I'm fine with accepting a higher cost, but what they do now is simply insane.

How does it help the collector to make them give up getting whole parts of lines just so they can get an uber expensive exclusive set??? It doesn't. THIS IS WHAT IT CREATES.....

A WHOLE LOTTA BS!

I have never complained about Botcon until this new group took over, The old group used to put items online to buy after the con like the SDCC

Oh god forbid I said a bad thing the San Diego Comic Con a more classier and better run convention

Orlando has a convention center a really huge one were they have Megacon every Feb and even American Idol has used it for auditions

Oh yeah Orlando is the home of Disney World it has hotels and places to go after 5pm.Downtown Disney is a great place to visit especially the Hasbro store

I stated Florida but even if it was in Atlanta that 8 hours from here and I could of gone

I guess your one of the people who have the money for exclusives,hotels ,food and gas. Some of us can't afford alot or do have issues that keep us at home and can't get away.

Dude I didnt bother replying to you, because unlike madman whom I know I could have a somewhat civilized discussion with, even though we are on opposite sides concerning botcon; I knew their would be no chance of that with you. So since you want to call me a smartass, heres a reply you can relate to. EVERYBODY has problems, EVERYBODY has things come up, and EVERBODY deals with not being able to afford things they want. EVERYBODY deals with life throwing them unexpected curves. Some people just strap up their boots and make necessary adjustments to get what they want, others accept that in isnt in the cards at the moment...oh, and some people complain about it incessantly on the internet

SDCC? A classier and better convention.....WOW IMAGINE that!??? Considering SDCC has attendance in the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS, compared to botcon's 800-2000, ya THINK theirs would be better? The OLD company FAILED SPECTACTULARLY and went bankrupt, then Hasbro had to bail them out and produce the sentinel maximus that people had ALREADY PAID for, and was SUPPOSED to be at the show. They STILL owe people in the fandom money to this day! YEAH fun pub should REALLY follow that business model.

EVER THINK maybe Orlando ended up falling through the cracks or maybe some guests they planned on having couldn't meet the timeframe orlando may have offered? Sorry it couldn't be in YOUR backyard, guess what it isnt in MINE or a few thousand other fan's back yard either.

OBVIOUSLY it bothers you since you are here pissing and moaning and talking about how people you have never met can "kiss your ass".

Dude I didnt bother replying to you, because unlike madman whom I know I could have a somewhat civilized discussion with, even though we are on opposite sides concerning botcon; I knew their would be no chance of that with you. So since you want to call me a smartass, heres a reply you can relate to. EVERYBODY has problems, EVERYBODY has things come up, and EVERBODY deals with not being able to afford things they want. EVERYBODY deals with life throwing them unexpected curves. Some people just strap up their boots and make necessary adjustments to get what they want, others accept that in isnt in the cards at the moment...oh, and some people complain about it incessantly on the internet

SDCC? A classier and better convention.....WOW IMAGINE that!??? Considering SDCC has attendance in the HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS, compared to botcon's 800-2000, ya THINK theirs would be better? The OLD company FAILED SPECTACTULARLY and went bankrupt, then Hasbro had to bail them out and produce the sentinel maximus that people had ALREADY PAID for, and was SUPPOSED to be at the show. They STILL owe people in the fandom money to this day! YEAH fun pub should REALLY follow that business model.

EVER THINK maybe Orlando ended up falling through the cracks or maybe some guests they planned on having couldn't meet the timeframe orlando may have offered? Sorry it couldn't be in YOUR backyard, guess what it isnt in MINE or a few thousand other fan's back yard either.

OBVIOUSLY it bothers you since you are here pissing and moaning and talking about how people you have never met can "kiss your ass"..... real modly.

Well DB I'm glad to at least know we are ok about this even though we don't agree.

I'm not purposely trying to sound outlandish, but can you really tell me that you believe that they can at least TRY and do a little better?

I don't confess to knowing all the pitfalls of the game here, nor do I mean to make anything sound like it's easy. It's just the fact that we are dealing with a large fandom here which is getting bigger every day and a company who runs a convention and club that is supposed to be for the fans who made it all possible to begin with.

All I'd like to see is something to convince me that these people are trying to do that, but I just don't see it.

I don't know where your true thoughts are, mine are for the fandom in general. I know you have a hard time believing that, but I doubt you would if you really knew me.

I'm not saying expanding is an easy thing. NEVER HAVE.

That's all part of the challenge of running a growing business. And nobody ever said having a con in EVERY city, just MAYBE more than one. Say 2 or 3. But that's just spitballing and idea, you don't have to get all dramatic about it.

The fandom is growing by leaps and bounds, and what have they done to capitalize on it???

We're just talking ideas here, so why the hell is it so offensive to you Deathblade????

Ideally, yeah, saving up is the best thing...if you can fit in something like a botcon trip.

Deathblade, quit talking about what was going on with last years set. Things happened that YOU HAVE NO FRICKING IDEA ABOUT! So quit making it seem like you have it all figured out..YOU'RE NOT EVEN CLOSE!!!

Look man, last years exclusive set sold out within days of being fully revealed. SO THE DEMAND IS THERE AND THEN SOME! The whole "we can't produce cheaper figures if there's no demand for them" when there's a crapload of demand, BUT NOT AT THOSE PRICES for the majority. Last year was a freak occasion because it was such a sought after set, but they most certainly would have sold A LOT more of the previous years sets if they were more easily accessible and of course affordable.

If they sell 4,000 sets at wallet bleeding prices in days, don't tell me they couldn't have sold twice that amount at half the price with relative ease. Cuz they would have. You know it, and I know it!

This is the LAST TIME I'm going through this...

Just because I got a lot of stuff in the same general time frame, uh, hello....DOESN'T MEAN I PAID FOR IT ALL AT ONE TIME. Some of what I had in those hauls came from prepaid orders I had weeks or months in advance and a boatload of clearance. I don't think $600 was even close to what I spent. Perhaps if I paid regular price, but in most cases I didn't.

THAT WAS NOT WHAT KEPT ME FROM BUYING THE EXCLUSIVES EITHER!!!

From time to time people have these little things called EMERGENCIES that pop up. Sometimes these events put a bit of a financial strain on people. Well, guess what happened? I had OTHER things I had to take care of and that kind of set back the plans I had to buy the exclusive sets.

Bad timing. I accept that. I just never will accept the price. Even if I can afford it, and do pay it...doesn't mean I like it.

I'll be on their case about it for the lousy pricing even if I do get the exclusives. Because there's no reason they need to be THAT expensive. I'm fine with accepting a higher cost, but what they do now is simply insane.

How does it help the collector to make them give up getting whole parts of lines just so they can get an uber expensive exclusive set??? It doesn't. THIS IS WHAT IT CREATES.....

A WHOLE LOTTA BS!

Dude what I am getting at is your arguments ingore economics, and logistics, and overestimating demand is a very costly mistake for a company like fun pub...and before you "oh it would be EASY for fun pub to do...etc" Think logically about what what you are saying would entail.

For example having multiple cons (lets say quarterly) would involve:

Hiring more people-using man hours to train those people-buying more equipment(desks, computers) for those people, upgrading their network to handle additional traffic, paying additonal fees, construction and labor costs for setting up cubicles..etc, possibly having to add on to the building to accomodate the extra people.

Lining up dealers-do you really think overseas dealers (The guys that have the BEST STUFF hands down) are going to fly to the US 4 times a year? Do you think major dealers like BBTS, Digital Toys, TF Source, Captured Prey...etc are going to pack up their stuff 4 times a year? The dealer floor is one of the big draws of botcon, and shrinking it down 75% would be a mistake.

Press releases and news-What is Hasbro going to unveil the same stuff, and give the same press releases year round? There simply isnt enough WHAM BAM! HERES! A 10 NEW TFS YOU HAVENT SEEN, and NEWS YOU HAVENT HEARD to cover year round....in the age of internet, the only people who would likely see new stuff is 1st qtr and maybe 3rd qtr....now matter how you slice it, two sets of cons would have repeat unveilings, which half of them wouldn't even matter, becuase they would be on store shelves by that point.

Lining up even more guests, juggling their schedules- Its not like the same people are going to be available 4 times a year...Would you be happy if Peter Cullen came to the West Coast botcon in Jan, then when July rolls around, you get the guy who voiced Energon Ironhide and Carlos?

The same would have to be done for the JOECON, so take all that and double it, basically those people would have work round the clock year round, and honestly do you really think the product wouldnt suffer? Would you like if your job tripled your workload and paid you the same salary as before?

The end product would suffer, and all that would happen would be four (eight counting GI Joe) watered down cons that pleased no one who attended, instead of one that most people who attend are happy with.

You have said you can never accept the price--thats fine, many people agree with that. But if thats the case, then why go through all these personal stories on why thats fun pubs fault, or why they should care. If you dont think they are worth it, its simple as "Fun pub exclusives are at a price I am simply not willing to pay" I can agree with that all day, their stuff is expensive. It's all that "they are SCREWING OVER TRUE FANS JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN" stuff that I can't get on board with. Things like overpriced and worth are subjective.

I think the main reason we butt heads is you look at things from an ideal perspective, while I look at them from a logic perspective, but thats cool.

Ya Think they might have more if they didn't charge such outragous prices??

Oh I thought Botcon has tons of people showing up like the SDCC

As I have said SINCE 1994 I have NEVER been to one like most of you here.IT seems like every year it just gets farther away

OBVIOUSLY it bothers you since you are here pissing and moaning and talking about how people you have never met can "kiss your ass".

You never met George Bush but I think you would want him top kiss your ass

You possibly have never met alot of people like crazy ass actors or singers you would like to kiss yoiur ass

We all have people we don't know out there who we want to kiss our asses

Its not moaning its me getting tired of people like you who seem to attack others because there stating there opinions and it differs from you

DS, I think this all boiling down to misunderstandings.

I admit I know that there are a lot of things on the business end to consider. I'm not trying to say anything is as easy as this, this, or that. I'm being as general as I can with simple ideas. The goal is seeing if and what may be able to work from them.

Simply a jumping off point. That's usually where good ideas start.

I'm not nor have I ever said I had all the answers.

As for what goes on on the business end. Well, if they're really good at what they they do then over time they should be learning how to be more resourceful and efficient at doing what they need to do.

Part of what makes a business grow and succeed is learning how to take full advantage of every available resource in order to provide the best service they can.

There are ways of getting more working capital without depending solely on the fans wallets for it.

If a teenage girl can make a website for myspace layout designs and within a year become a millionaire through simple sponsor links then why couldn't the organizers of the club and convention generate any new ways of creating capital to work with?

Business can be easy if you develop good resources. Depending on the fans for all the cash is basically putting all their eggs in one basket and creates this whole situation.

Here's what I truly believe Doom Saber, we're both right and we're both wrong. The person who is in the middle is probably the person who has more ideas, better answers and the senses to look at a situation like this and figure out whether or not there is reason for action.