The New Classics

Nerd-Viper

Hey guys. I for one love the new 25th anniversary figures. It's awesome to me that we're getting remakes of all the greats. Looking back through time, there were tons and tons of characters. But however, there were only a handful that have become instant fan favorites. Stand outs. You know who I'm talking about. Guys like Spirit, Leatherneck, Beachead, BATS, Interrigator, the Dreadoks and the Twins just to name a very small few. It was so sad to see the 80's and 90's joes go when they finally fizzled out. But, luckily for us die-hards, the line starting trickling back with new figures and new characters with the inception of GIJOE vs. Cobra figures. I don't have to tell you guys this. But this is my question:

Since the revamp of the line- starting back with GIJOE vs. Cobra, to Venom vs. Valor, and then Direct to Consumer and bringing us to today, which NEW CHARACTERS or OLD CHARACTERS W/ NEW DESIGNS have become instant classics in your mind? I'm talking about figures you could possibly see being made into Anniversary ones.

Some of mind would be:

Blackout

Neo-Vipers

Dart

Shipwreck (blue sweater/knit cap)

CLAWs

Overkill

my top ten Cobras

Blackout

CLAWS

VVV wave 7 Vipers

Bat v. 3.2

Neo Viper

Neo Viper Commander

Scalpel

Iron Grenadiers

VVV Single pack Night Creepers

Torch

Top Ten Joes

Barell Roll v.1

Major Barrage

Sgt. Mutt

Sgt. Stalker (JVC)

Bombstrike

Snake Eyes (JvC Wave 4) (Another Snake Eyes, heresy I know, but this is my definitive Snake Eyes)

Cross Hairs

Hi Tech (Sigma Six)

Long Range (Sigma Six)

Faces

Kamakura: Created by Josh Blaylock, legitimized by Hasbro, and connected to the Marvel continuity by Brandon Jerwa. Sean Collins has roots deep in comics continuity, originally appearing in Marvel #29 and serving as the catalyst for the final issue. He's appeared in the Spy Troops cartoon, and played a secondary role in Sigma 6. He's an integral part of the Joe mythos now.

Barrel Roll: An official Hasbro character among a slew of new characters in Spy Troops, but he won the filecard lottery. His link to Blackout and their storyline running through the Devil's Due comic make them both instant classics.

Doc II: Carla Greer, neice of the original Doc, makes a better replacement for him than even Stretcher who was barely more than a Doc clone to begin with. Created for the alternate reality of GIJoe Reloaded, Carla has been integrated into the original continuity via a Convention exclusive figure, and a mention in America's Elite. Only fitting that a fallen Joe be replaced by his own kin. And Doc will always be a classic Joe. So his replacement is totally Neo-Classic.

Firewall: In the world of special ops, communication is essential. We were spoiled, initially, with fan favorite Breaker, who died in a brutal, senseless battle that has been a controversial moment in Joe History. Dial-Tone has never been as well received, probably for his effeminate performance in the cartoon, and his goofy moustache/beret combo. Firewall is the new contender because

A) She's communications *and* computers, which are really a single science nowadays (compared to seperate radio and computer guys in the 80s).

B) She's a she, and we need all the shes we can get on this team.

C) As per her last Devil's Due appearance, she's wearing Mainframe's SM:Brazil uniform, replacing a second fallen Joe.

She may not be beloved by all, but she's certainly a unique character, and fills one of the two gaping holes in a solid, well rounded Joe team.

Cobra:

Blackout: Same reason as Barrel Roll

Zanya: She's cute, fiesty, and is the perfect compliment to Billy: the evil child of a good person (Zartan is essentially insane, but when lucid he's a pretty decent guy). She's a good, different addition to the Dreadnoks, a Neo-Classic bit player that fits perfectly with the biker punk crowd.

Dr. Knox: Although introduced in a filler issue during the end of the Marvel era, Cassandra Knox returned under Destro's regime in Devil's Due #39. Again, a suitable replacement for Mindbender... who's not really popular to begin with.

Overkill: Reinvented from an obscure 1991 character, the cyborg who was once the infamous SAW-Viper Robert Skelton has also appeared in cartoons and received a fair amount of exposure in the toyline. Having him be a sentient commander of the mindless BAT armies makes him a no-brain (pun) entry.