25th Vehicle Sales

Cyber Bear

I was kind of wondering what everyones thoughts were about 25th vehicles if they need to be new molds or if retooled RAH ones would sell well. Hasbro seems to be taking the Star Wars approach on figure cases for GI Joe. The Star Wars line also uses vehicle molds from the 70's and kids seem to gobble them up. I personally would rather have classic vehicles then new ones. Any thoughts?

Reissues would be cheaper and probably more sought after. Take a look at some of the crud that came out near the end of VvV, for example. The other thing too is that these are all straight up reissues and not fuddled with other junk like sound attack.

Give me a straight up H.I.S.S. II over something like a Ringneck anyday.

Give me a straight up H.I.S.S. II over something like a Ringneck anyday.

Amen.

Reissues of RAH vehicles would have been a surefire moneymaker released side by side with the new 25th figures. As usual though Hasbro was once again slow on the uptake, they never imagined the new line of figures would be as huge a hit as its been. So yeah, if Hasbro just released older RAH vehicles I'm pretty certain they'd sell, as long as they weren't modified like some of our favorites from recent years have been (TRU Rattler anyone @grumpy@ ).

Although another way to go would be to use the vehicle designs from the defunct 'Robot Rebellion' proposed theme that made their way into the Sigma 6 2.5" assortment. Those would rock as 3.75" scale vehicles.

No.

I don't think very many of the re-issued vehicles sold well in the past few years, as quite a few were reported to have been sold at a discount. Certainly the larger sets did NOT sell well at all.

Alot of the old vehicles will not work very well with the new figures due to size issues, and the level of detail on the old toys makes them appear dated compared to the detail on the new figures.

I want all-new stuff, with more detail and intricacy than the older toys. I don't care if they are remakes of the older toys, I just want them to be better than the older stuff.

Personally, I would prefer to see vehicles/playsets amped up with detail/features like the 25th anniv figures. As long as they stay true to the originals I'll be happy, like with a Blue Cobra Rattler. I'd like to see an updated version of the S.N.A.K.E armor, and the Terrordrome. Also If they are bringing back v1s of Zartan and Serpentor, we need to see updates on the chameleon swamp skier as well as the Air chariot. Hell, for that matter there was nothing wrong with the orginals, so I'd be glad with original or improved, but they are musts either way. Also I would like to see an updated original SHARC thats white, and can seat figures right, like in the original cartoon.

I'm with Arrow. I want new stuff but I want it to look good and be better than the old stuff. No neon colors, bad cammo or sound attack. No dumb action features, unless it's someting like a real working wench or propeller on a helicopter.

If we can't have that then I would maybe get some old reissued vehicles. Mostly if they were colored just as good or better than the originals. We would probably just keep getting the same 10 vehicles Hasbro always puts out.

New would be better too because Hasbro does not have all the old vehicles molds or they are missing alot of pieces to them.

I would love to see some of the classics rereleased, it would give most of us a chance to own these again or for the first time. My hopes would be to see the W.H.A.L.E. on shelves again @faint@ . The only problems are that with the 25th molds size could be an issue and if the molds for the vehicles are even out there :( . I say release what they can and with the movie coming out see if they can produce new more detailed molds of the classics with out any of the electronic gimmicks during the G.I. Joe vs Cobra a few years back. Basically everything goes to how well the movie does, and profits with what we're getting currently.

I want all new stuff, but I want modern make-overs of the classic vehicles, just like we're getting with the figures. I want a FANG that looks cool and deadly, not like the bathtub with rotorblade of the RAH nor that pudgy re-make for Spy Troops.

The other problem with re-issues is that the peg-holes on the feet of the newer figures will not work with the foot pegs on the existing vehicles.

That's a minor thing though and could be changed a bit by running changes to the figure designs.

Here's an example of a upgrade vehicle idea:

Take the Snowcat--Frostbite's famous ride.

It was always a nice vehicle, but it never really made a whole lotta sense when you thought about it. Most of the troops riding the thing had to make the journey OUTSIDE in the cold.

Here's what I'd like to see: Extend the cab so there's at least four seats inside. Maybe add a turret ring and machine gun mount to the cab so one of those inside can man a defensive gun. keep the missile launcher system, but why not add some machine guns to the sides of the launcher--a glaring omission on the original. Add some slot for spare missiles inside the bay/well where the launcher sits.

Keep the ski-torpedos--I always thought they were fun and novel. Have the tracks move and a set of openable doors for the cab, along with the opening canopy, and keep the small side-rails alongside the cab. Add some detailed instruments on the dashboard, some radios and targeting gear, and some good decals outside. Its still the "same" Snowcat, but its been made better, in light of the newer detailed figures.

I'm fine with reissues, because I'm more of a RAH collector anyway. Personally, I'd like to see slight changes, like what they're doing to the SHARC for example - I love the shark teeth on that one! The new HISS is great, but not really anything we haven't seen before (HISS III). I would prefer the AWE Striker to be in tan for desert use.

Who knows, maybe we could get a Tomahawk in navy gray (how awesome would that look on the Flagg?), or at least a Marine-style Super Cobra version of the Dragonfly in gray camo. The WHALE would also look great in that dark gray the US Navy uses for its vessels. How about a crimson Stinger or a jet black Rattler?

The only thing I think could use a redesign is the HISS - give it real tracks, a nice detailed interior and a drop-down, side-by-side tandem cockpit - and keep it looking like the original! Everything else I can think of (at least in the "classic years") is probably better than what Hasbro could come up with now, to be quite honest.

The other problem with re-issues is that the peg-holes on the feet of the newer figures will not work with the foot pegs on the existing vehicles.

That's a minor thing though and could be changed a bit by running changes to the figure designs.

It was always a nice vehicle, but it never really made a whole lotta sense when you thought about it. Most of the troops riding the thing had to make the journey OUTSIDE in the cold.

Here's what I'd like to see: Extend the cab so there's at least four seats inside. Maybe add a turret ring and machine gun mount to the cab so one of those inside can man a defensive gun. keep the missile launcher system, but why not add some machine guns to the sides of the launcher--a glaring omission on the original. Add some slot for spare missiles inside the bay/well where the launcher sits.

Keep the ski-torpedos--I always thought they were fun and novel. Have the tracks move and a set of openable doors for the cab, along with the opening canopy, and keep the small side-rails alongside the cab. Add some detailed instruments on the dashboard, some radios and targeting gear, and some good decals outside. Its still the "same" Snowcat, but its been made better, in light of the newer detailed figures.

That is something I never liked about the Snow Cat. After you fire the torpedos and missiles it does not have anything else to shoot. A gun or two on it would have made it alot more fun to play with.

Whoa, wait a minute....we're getting vehicles too? I thought all we were getting were the figures? I don't collect Joes too much, so I'm sorry if this is old news but I'd love to see some of the old vehicles. Maybe reimagined with newer paint schemes, more detail but I'd love to have a new Sky Striker. Are there pics of these? What about a release time table? I don't have any room for this but I've got a closet!

Well if Hasbro uses their logic for Joes as they do with Star Wars, reissue vehicles will be a majority of the line. SW is getting some new molds, but those are based on the upcoming new Clone Wars cartoon. More may be on the way depending on how the show does.

I kinda think that re-issues is the only way to go. Hasbro hasn't made a good vehicle since RAH.

RAH collectors would buy them, and new collectors would too if the vehicles were done justice. (not like the new VAMP coming out).

I am not really against new vehicles, I just don't think Hasbro could do any good ones.

I kinda think that re-issues is the only way to go. Hasbro hasn't made a good vehicle since RAH.

I am not really against new vehicles, I just don't think Hasbro could do any good ones.

I'll argue that, the product being designed and released at the end of Valor vs. Venom and DTC were solid TOYS, and some (like the HISS, Mechs, RHINO and ROCC) I'd easily put next to the best RAH offered.

I think the core problem with vehicles is much the same as with the figures: Hasbro WILL adjust things to make them marketable/sellable to kids, and that doesn't always jive with what COLLECTORS want from such offerings.

I agree with Arrow that pure reissues aren't a solid way to go with the line going forward. As said, almost none of the new figures don't jive with many of the classic vehicles (hell, many later RAH figures don't jive with many of the 82-84 vehicles). As is, I'd be really surprised to see a good many vehicles this year at all, reissue or new/repaints.

Whoa, wait a minute....we're getting vehicles too? I thought all we were getting were the figures? I don't collect Joes too much, so I'm sorry if this is old news but I'd love to see some of the old vehicles. Maybe reimagined with newer paint schemes, more detail but I'd love to have a new Sky Striker. Are there pics of these? What about a release time table? I don't have any room for this but I've got a closet!

We sure are. Target will be releasing an AWE Striker, SHARC, and HISS. I'm sure there are pics somewhere on this site, but I'm a bit too tired to go looking.

As far as re-releases or new vehicles go, I wouldn't mind both. I love the original vehicles but at the same time, I love some of the newer takes on vehicles like the ROCC and RHINO. I think it would be better for Hasbro to do re-releases right now though. It cuts down on their cost meaning they have to sell less for Hasbro to consider it a success. Plus, right now it's all about the anniversary, so re-releasing older classic vehicles fits with the overall theme. Maybe a year down the road, if this line keeps selling like it does, Hasbro can start with new vehicles, but for now, I think re-releasing vehicles is the way to go.

I really like the idea of refurbishing an existing chassis to make it an APC version or something else, because that's what militaries actually do. I'd love to see a Snowcat APC. Why not take the soft-skin APC and give it a new interior too? (That'd be super easy to do, too...). Make it a command version, and add tons of radio and computer equipment, some nice big antenna whips, etc.

I really liked how they made the original Slaughter's Marauders vehicles, and would like more of the same.

RAH collectors would buy them, and new collectors would too if the vehicles were done justice. (not like the new VAMP coming out).

That's sort of how I feel. BTW, what VAMP coming out???

I have to agree with Clam (man, that hurts @loll@ )

I think a big part of the 25th line is that kids are able to get something that looks like what their dads played with. In fact, take this for what it's worth since I never beleive anyone who tells me they spoke to a Hasbro rep, I spoke with a Hasbro rep at Wal-mart the other day about why 25th figures are so hard to find. Her response was that Hasbro created the line for collectors and had no clue it would be gobbled up by kids like it has been. She atributes it to kids seeing the old cartoon easily since Hasbro has it on there website and youtube along with kids finding their dads old joes and thinking they are great.

I personally beleive it has to do with dropping the 2 pack concept, but then again who am I.

Well seeing how this line has dropped about 20 years off my life I really want to see it stay true to the oldies but goodies. I liike the new Target vehicles that pretty much look like their older counter parts but I'm assuming are a little bit bigger since the figures are bigger. I also hope Hasbro keeps this line going as long as they can. I really want to see the f-14 that came out in the 80's with Ace. That had to be one of my favorites growing up along with the rattler. If they're releasing this line for collectors of the original they better keep us happy with the same stuff we grew up with. Now that's not to say that a few modifications wouldn't be appreciated. After all the figures are awesome because they fixed what was wrong and made them better while still making them noticeable to the figures their based on. The A.W.E. striker happens to be one of my favorites so I'm stoked there. I never had a H.I.S.S. or a S.H.A.R.C. so this is my chance to catch up on what I missed. I've been picking up some B.B.I. vehicles to use in the meantime and they are fantastic. It's simply awesome to see the new Joe's in real life vehicles that out military is using now.

I liike the new Target vehicles that pretty much look like their older counter parts but I'm assuming are a little bit bigger since the figures are bigger.

Not even a little. The Target vehicles are straight-up rereleases of the original vehicles. No modifications except new color schemes. Hasbro's alredy said Crankcase might be a tight fit in the AWE-Striker because of the size of the new figures, and people have reported problems trying to fit a Cobra Soldier in the old HISS tank, so we're likely going to see them same problems with the Target HISS.

I've been picking up some B.B.I. vehicles to use in the meantime and they are fantastic. It's simply awesome to see the new Joe's in real life vehicles that out military is using now.

It's honestly the way to go. I bought the Abrams tank, the Apache chopper, and the Blackhawk to augment my Hasbro Hummer and they look friggen killer with the 25th Joes.

I liike the new Target vehicles that pretty much look like their older counter parts but I'm assuming are a little bit bigger since the figures are bigger.

Not even a little. The Target vehicles are straight-up rereleases of the original vehicles. No modifications except new color schemes. Hasbro's alredy said Crankcase might be a tight fit in the AWE-Striker because of the size of the new figures, and people have reported problems trying to fit a Cobra Soldier in the old HISS tank, so we're likely going to see them same problems with the Target HISS.

I've been picking up some B.B.I. vehicles to use in the meantime and they are fantastic. It's simply awesome to see the new Joe's in real life vehicles that out military is using now.

It's honestly the way to go. I bought the Abrams tank, the Apache chopper, and the Blackhawk to augment my Hasbro Hummer and they look friggen killer with the 25th Joes.

Ah man that's kinda of a bummer. I think another issue is the whole croatch issue and the fact that most current figures can't fit sitting inside most vehicles. How do you like the Apache? I'm trying to get my wife to get that for me for Christmas. I wish they would release a Hind Helo. so Cobra could have a Chopper too. B.B.I. needs to release some non-U.S. vehicles so Cobra can get some awesome yet realistic vehicles.