BAF alternative

seymourglass213

heh i think no matter what they do someone will #$#@# about it. i would not like a whole dio but thats just me. and does it really mater what size the baf is i mean its a "free figure" no matter what size it is. i like to see different charaters rather than the same one with diference outfits. i like all the figures that have come out some more then others but hay thats what happens.

there's no such thing as free lunch... or free figure... take that baf out and the price of MLs would drop, for sure... so even if you think you're just buying the carded fig, and you're taking the baf part for free, you think your money was well spent, you're dead wrong dude... nothing is free, especially from these people who want to suck our wallets dry.

actually i think the added baf has nothing to do with the price of the figure, maybe when toybiz had the line, they went up in price a little becuase of the baf part, but hasbro would be chargeing 10 a figure anyway. same as quality, i dont hink if you took out the baf part thr quality and/or paint apps would be any better. but hey that is only what i think, maybe you disagree

actually i think the added baf has nothing to do with the price of the figure, maybe when toybiz had the line, they went up in price a little becuase of the baf part, but hasbro would be chargeing 10 a figure anyway. same as quality, i dont hink if you took out the baf part thr quality and/or paint apps would be any better. but hey that is only what i think, maybe you disagree

I think that the BAF piece has been an assumed necessary inclusion with ML figures for so long now (almost three years), that the price of it is already included into the total price of producing the unit.

Who hasn't had a BAF piece in recent memory? The Spider-Man line didn't, but had either accessories that took up the same amount of space and plastic, or built-in action features whose engineering took up the same amount of buget. Same for the X-Men and Hulk lines. The Face-Off packs didn't, but they had their own bases and stands. The Legendary Rider wave obviously had the "steeds" instead. The only other ML type figures I can think of without BAF parts are exclusives, and they're obviously in a class by themselves.

But my point is, and remains, that if they took away the BAF, we might get something inherantly useful in return. Of course, the problem with this is that without an incentive to get shoppers to buy more obscure characters, Hasbro probably won't feel like taking as many chances on them.

BAFs are great when done right. I agree, a freaking cape....or a hammer....thats just wrong. But some of them look really great.

I don't want BAFs to disappear, but if they did one wave with a scene or a vehicle that was in scale and relevant I would be all in. But considering everything, what "BAS" or "BAV" would really be all that practical?

I could see maybe Ghost Rider, and his bike with a flame trail that lifts it up off the ground, with some destroyed road. That sounds reasonable.

You could probably have connected bases that made this one large display base. But you probably couldn't really get away with a full room, or building front.

I'd like to see bases make a return, i'd like to see more accessories, and i'd like to see some cool BAFs. I don't mind a rotation of sorts. I'd just hate to see any one of those disappear completely for something else. I'd like the variety.

BAFs are great when done right. I agree, a freaking cape....or a hammer....thats just wrong. But some of them look really great.

I don't want BAFs to disappear, but if they did one wave with a scene or a vehicle that was in scale and relevant I would be all in. But considering everything, what "BAS" or "BAV" would really be all that practical?

I could see maybe Ghost Rider, and his bike with a flame trail that lifts it up off the ground, with some destroyed road. That sounds reasonable.

You could probably have connected bases that made this one large display base. But you probably couldn't really get away with a full room, or building front.

I'd like to see bases make a return, i'd like to see more accessories, and i'd like to see some cool BAFs. I don't mind a rotation of sorts. I'd just hate to see any one of those disappear completely for something else. I'd like the variety.

i completely agree. i enjoy variety.

I think that the BAF piece has been an assumed necessary inclusion with ML figures for so long now (almost three years), that the price of it is already included into the total price of producing the unit.

Who hasn't had a BAF piece in recent memory? The Spider-Man line didn't, but had either accessories that took up the same amount of space and plastic, or built-in action features whose engineering took up the same amount of buget. Same for the X-Men and Hulk lines. The Face-Off packs didn't, but they had their own bases and stands. The Legendary Rider wave obviously had the "steeds" instead. The only other ML type figures I can think of without BAF parts are exclusives, and they're obviously in a class by themselves.

But my point is, and remains, that if they took away the BAF, we might get something inherantly useful in return. Of course, the problem with this is that without an incentive to get shoppers to buy more obscure characters, Hasbro probably won't feel like taking as many chances on them.

The X3 figures didn't have any BAF pieces, and rarely had any gimmicks.

when toybiz was doing the ML line, they had the baf and some figs still had the doop stand. it's possible to have both in one fig, as toybiz showed. i hope hasbro somehow limits its profit-maximization and give something back to their loyal (ML) followers.

a wave without a baf but with bases would be cool too. that's good especially for people like me who doesn't buy whole sets. but i don't think hasbro's thinking about it, cause the crappy figs (X3 characters, etc.) in the ML line won't move at retail if they're not carrying baf parts. money makes the world go round. sucks, but true.

The X3 figures didn't have any BAF pieces, and rarely had any gimmicks.

I'm confused. Do you mean X2? Because if so, they had bases.

Nah, I am talking about the X3 line from Toybiz. You know, the one that didn't feature movie costumes @lol@

Stealth Wolverine

Ninja Wolverine

Ruby Cyclops (light up eyes gimmick)

White Storm

Archangel

Magneto

Stealth Beast

Gambit (light up eyes)

Techno Beast

Stealth Cyclops (light up eyes)

Juggernaut

Angel

Air Attack Wolverine

Avalanche (vibrating base)

Xtreme Rogue

Nightcrawler (light up eyes)

Colossus

Iceman

Sabertooth

heh i think no matter what they do someone will #$#@# about it. i would not like a whole dio but thats just me. and does it really mater what size the baf is i mean its a "free figure" no matter what size it is. i like to see different charaters rather than the same one with diference outfits. i like all the figures that have come out some more then others but hay thats what happens.

That's how I feel about it. No, nothing is really "free," as our high-school economics teachers taught us, but I'm pretty happy with whatever BAF ToyBiz/Hasbro throws our way. If I'm going to pay $10 (or formerly $8), I'd much rather have an entire figure as an added bonus rather than some scenery. And as for a build-a-vehicle, I see no way a scale quinjet, blackbird, etc., could be sold in 6-figure waves. (I'd be curious to know exactly how far ToyBiz actually got into the quinjet designs before scrapping the idea.) And really, after the quinjet, how many iconic vehicles are there??

Final point: I collect these things for the characters, not the bases, dioramas or other accessories. The waves are already being reduced from 8 to 6 figures. Considering how many characters still need to be made--many of which would work perfectly well as BAFs--I'm not in favor of reducing the number of figures any further.

Most of those fall under the SM banner of "added playful junk collectors don't care about" instead of BAF or such. The exception was Storm, who was a straight repaint of a ML figure.

Uh... no.

I think maybe 5 or 6 of them had "playful junk" added to them, such as light up eyes, out of about 20 figures. That is hardly "most of them"

unless of course you consider 35 points of articulation and cool accessories "playful junk" @lol@

Well, according to the database:

Archangel: Missile-launching doo-dad in his wings.

Gambit: Disk shooter, light up eyes

Ninja Strike Wolvie: A full arsenal

Ruby Armor Cyclops: Missile launching thing

Stealth Beasts came with a grappling hook launcher

Stealth Wolverine didn't have anything.

Storm only had a Doop stand.

Magneto had a magnetic cannon thingy.

Air Strike Wolverine had a jet pack

Bird of Prey Angel had nothing

Juggernaut had an action feature

Stealth Cyclops had light up eyes and a missile launcher

Tech Gear Beast had a missile launcher

Avalanche had his vibrating base.

Colossus had an action feature

All the Icemen variants had the ice sled

Rogue had nothing.

Nightcrawler had light up eyes

Sabertooth had an action feature.

So out of all those, five lacked any sort of action feature or tacked on play junk. And of those five, two were Wolverine variants.

And really, after the quinjet, how many iconic vehicles are there??

Well, let's put on the thinking caps and see........and let's broaden the base somewhat from vehicles to "gear" in general....

You could have :

The Fantastic Four's Flying Bathtub--or Fanatasticar

The Fantastic Four's Pogo-plane

Captain America's Motorcycle

The Spider-slayer ( not a vehicle per se, but it stil fits somewhat)

The Fantastic Four's Time Platform

The Fantastic Four's Negative Zone portal

Avenger's Meeting room

Tony Stark's Iron Man Repair lab

Various Hulkbuster vehicles.

Nick Fury's Flying car.

Black Panther's Mechanical Jungle

Magneto's Asteroid base

X-men's Cerebro

The X-men had a odd looking skycraft in the early Uncanny issues that was small than the Blackbird.

Alpha Flight's Omni-jet

The Punisher's War van

And then there's various stuff the villain's have used over the years: AIM Labs, Dr. Doom's various contraptions, assorted alien gear, Hellfire Club council chambers, Daily Bugle newsroom etc.....

Not all of these would make for viable build-a-sets, but some might be at least possible...

Well, according to the database:

Archangel: Missile-launching doo-dad in his wings.

Gambit: Disk shooter, light up eyes

Ninja Strike Wolvie: A full arsenal

Ruby Armor Cyclops: Missile launching thing

Stealth Beasts came with a grappling hook launcher

Stealth Wolverine didn't have anything.

Storm only had a Doop stand.

Magneto had a magnetic cannon thingy.

Air Strike Wolverine had a jet pack

Bird of Prey Angel had nothing

Juggernaut had an action feature

Stealth Cyclops had light up eyes and a missile launcher

Tech Gear Beast had a missile launcher

Avalanche had his vibrating base.

Colossus had an action feature

All the Icemen variants had the ice sled

Rogue had nothing.

Nightcrawler had light up eyes

Sabertooth had an action feature.

So out of all those, five lacked any sort of action feature or tacked on play junk. And of those five, two were Wolverine variants.

and regardless of added 'junk' - those figures were lame. I LOVE X-men. But yet, i only have maybe 8 figures from this line. Nearly all of them were x-men in madeup costumes. I remember being so happy when i first heard about this line...but then i SAW it and was so disappointed. The only cool figures from that line were the ones that were actually based on something (ultimate nightcrawler, X-treme X-Men Rogue, Ultimate Sabretooth, Iceman, etc.).

The 'stealth' or 'ninja' versions were really lame. I've never been so unexcited about x-figures as i was about those. WHY make characters in madeup costumes when we needed them in their current costumes (Beast, Cyclops). Or someone like Juggernaut whos original figure was impossible to get...they released him a lame madeup costume.