BAF alternative

seymourglass213

I was reading a post on a message board at another website, and saw, what I thought, was a great alternative to mediocre Build A Figures. It was suggested that each figure be packaged with a piece that would create a Build A Scene, such as the X-Mansion, Danger Room, Baxter Building, Daily Bugle, a generic bar, or alley etc. Your thoughts...?

but ive been saying for years that i want a build-a-scene type thing

i just want a giant destroyed road (loads of rubble,a few signs, fire hydrant, stop light, etc etc...)

this was back around ml10-ml12 when i thought of this and it COULD have cost out, but i wanted each figure to come with a 3x2 piece and each piece could connect with any other piece,so you werent required to buy every one

there would be plenty of peg holes for feet to stick into,and if you bought multiple of a character, you would actually have use for the BAS piece

Can we just go back to bases? Please?

Most of the bases were kinda lame though, they really didn't make you want to buy figures that you had no interest in.....which was more or less the point of BAFs. Sometimes I kinda miss the bases, cause the good ones really anchored the figures and made them seem more substantial, especially the ones that didn't really belong to any group.

Most of the bases were kinda lame though, they really didn't make you want to buy figures that you had no interest in.....which was more or less the point of BAFs. Sometimes I kinda miss the bases, cause the good ones really anchored the figures and made them seem more substantial, especially the ones that didn't really belong to any group.

what i miss is the flight stand. we should be getting them for flying character. other then that i don't think the bases are a good idea. they take up too much room.

but ive been saying for years that i want a build-a-scene type thing

i just want a giant destroyed road (loads of rubble,a few signs, fire hydrant, stop light, etc etc...)

this was back around ml10-ml12 when i thought of this and it COULD have cost out, but i wanted each figure to come with a 3x2 piece and each piece could connect with any other piece,so you werent required to buy every one

there would be plenty of peg holes for feet to stick into,and if you bought multiple of a character, you would actually have use for the BAS piece

i remember you mentioning this before.

it'd be really cool if they did this - but i just feel like it wouldn't be done right. not because hasbro sucks or anything...but because it'd probably cost too much money for them to make it in a way that would work with us dorks on the posting boards who have like 38789 marvel legends figures. I think a build-a-playset would only be able to fit like, 4 or 5 figures. If they tried to make it fit more, it'd be huge and expensive (which is what we'd all want).

plus, i'm positive i wouldn't be able to fit these build-a-playsets anywhere. Just to fit in all the NEW HML that have come out, i had to take down a bunch of other ML figures. So now i have like 15 figures laying on my desk becasuse they wont all fit on one shelf.

what i miss is the flight stand. we should be getting them for flying character. other then that i don't think the bases are a good idea. they take up too much room.

yeah well with hasbro its either a flight stand or a baf part like a hammer @smilepunch@

@hmmm@ @grumpy@

i think they should just go back to giving us bases. the BAFs are just getting shorter, and while bases may take up more room, they let you choose the figures you buy just because of the character. plus, the lack of BAFs lets hasbro focus their bugget on the individual figures and their accessories.

As an alternative for the BAF, how about a free figure incentive when you buy the entire wave? It's not exactly a new idea, but it would be cost effective for Hasbro, encourage more figure purchases and give collectors a chance at figures that might not ordinarily be made. (I won't bore you with any potential wish lists ;) )

BAS/BAF concepts would never work cuz they have to be done to accomadate the 6'' scale! Too huge & the figures would cost more than $9.99, that's for sure.

Maybe half of you live in mansions & have the extra space that huge building dios & vehicles would take up, but I sure don't. BAF is the best concept & I don't know where half of you get the misconception that a BAF has to be a mandatory big figure!!? @pow@

I guess you all got spoiled by the Galactus, Sentinel, Apocalypse, Giantman BAFs we got from TB? Those characters rated to be those sizes, characters such as Mojo, MODOK,Blob, Ronan & Annihilus didn't!

A BAF is exactly what it stands for, "BUILD A FIGURE", not BAGF (build a giant figure)

There are plenty of MU characters that rate the BAF treatment that are in the Blob size range that scream BAF such as Sasquatch, Tiatnium man, Nimrod for example. Neither is Sentinel sized, but they are too big to fit into a normal assortment as a single carded figure.

but it hardly seems worth it to shell out 80$ to build a character the size of smc sandman,and when 2 of the characters you had to buy came with a cape and a hammer

id much rather they did away with build a figures and just give characters more paint an accessories

but it hardly seems worth it to shell out 80$ to build a character the size of smc sandman,and when 2 of the characters you had to buy came with a cape and a hammer

id much rather they did away with build a figures and just give characters more paint an accessories

here here!

get rid of the BAF and make better figures... surely they could afford to paint their figures and give them proper articulation styles if they got rid of the BAF piece..... (but then again, when a figure just comes with a head or a cape, getting rid of the BAF wouldn't save much money at all)

Hasbro's BAF really annoys me. With Toybiz, it was an awesome bonus for collectors because we were buying all of the figures anyways. Every BAF Toybiz did was completely worth it for collectors.

With Hasbro, the BAF are sometimes the ONLY good figures in a wave, and none of them deserve to be BAF instead of being put on a card by themselves.

I wanted Anihilus, but then I would have had to buy 5 crappy figures (especially Emma, Beast, and Banshee) I didn't want... so I don't have Annihilus.

I wanted Blob, but then I would have had to buy another 5 crappy figures I didn't want (I kinda wanted She-Hulk, Thor, and Quicksilver).... so I don't have Blob.

I really wanted Ronan, really... but then I would have had to buy 8 figure I didn't want. Ronan should have been included in the wave, he is not so big... they could have made Namor the BAF @lol@ I can't justify paying 80 bucks to get Ronan, when Doom and Surfer are the only decent figures in the wave.

I don't want Brood... so thats cool I guess.

Sandman was the worst piece of crap ever, so thats cool...

But again, when they are making lame BAF such as Brood Queen and Sandman, it makes you wish they would cancel the BAF and just give the other figures more detail and accessories.

even for figures who wouldn't come with accessories, I would rather have interchangeable hands and heads or something... gimme the Infinity Gauntlet for the Surfer, gimme an iron fist for Doom to rule with and an open hand to switch, gimme Wolverine with 2 sets of hands so I can have him without claws extended... etc... if they are going to make pitiful BAFs... I would rather have those things.

but like Evenflow points out.. it makes good business sense to keep the BAF for Hasbro... so they won't cut it out.

im already not buying full waves

i bought a full wave of hml2 and thats just cause i work at kb and i got them for cheaper than walmart sells them

besides that i havent and wont buy a wave ever again probably

but part of that is due to the fact that i only collect xmen and spiderman characters now rather than all the MU

BAFs will be $60 in 2008, with six free figures thrown in or good measure!!!

Hasbro's BAF really annoys me. With Toybiz, it was an awesome bonus for collectors because we were buying all of the figures anyways. Every BAF Toybiz did was completely worth it for collectors.

With Hasbro, the BAF are sometimes the ONLY good figures in a wave, and none of them deserve to be BAF instead of being put on a card by themselves.

Welcome to the Rest Of Us, who didn't buy all the figures anway. BAFs have always irritated me in their flawed execution. I don't want a worthless Sentinel head with my FA Spidey; I want a base, or something actually useful.

BAFs, as they are currently produced, only appeal to completionists, not more casual collectors. The exceptions are the FF and SM3 lines (both by Hasbro, I'll add), which actually had the great idea of likening its characters and BAFs by theme.

I don't want a useless piece of Drax/Thanos/Whoever with the upcoming Back in Black Spidey. I want a stand, or an accessory, or something I'll actually use.

Welcome to the Rest Of Us, who didn't buy all the figures anway. BAFs have always irritated me in their flawed execution. I don't want a worthless Sentinel head with my FA Spidey; I want a base, or something actually useful.

BAFs, as they are currently produced, only appeal to completionists, not more casual collectors. The exceptions are the FF and SM3 lines (both by Hasbro, I'll add), which actually had the great idea of likening its characters and BAFs by theme.

I don't want a useless piece of Drax/Thanos/Whoever with the upcoming Back in Black Spidey. I want a stand, or an accessory, or something I'll actually use.

i agree,toybiz had the right idea by make a smc side line,i loved that line,if hasbro brings it back and gives characters that people want (instead of 20 red/blue spideys) i would be happy

i agree,toybiz had the right idea by make a smc side line,i loved that line,if hasbro brings it back and gives characters that people want (instead of 20 red/blue spideys) i would be happy

yeah that's like saying that xmc line worth have any wolverines @loll@

I like the BAF Idea, I am not a huge "X" fan, but the Blob and Sentinal are awsome looking in there own right.

Eh. I love the BAFs...even the useless Sandman one. The bases were lame after a while (except I loved the destroyed sentinel ones). I think the lame cape and hammer BAF pieces would be fine if they added back in the flight stand and holes (in the back and feet). I think that a ship or building would be a waste of space--sell those seperatley.

Without the BAF I would feel bad about buying $80 worth of toys.

How about a miniature character w/ each figure instead of the BAF part--Like back when we got Doop, Impy, and Howard the Duck.

They should give each figure a side small character (release x-babies and frog thor).