Hulk Smash Marvel Select!

JayC

You also need to realize that with the wwh thing and the movie coming ms also want there piece of the pie,you can't expect them too not put out a hulk and let hasbro pick up all the sales with there 2 upcoming lines,after all what kind of bussiness would that be!!!

This fig is not bad,haven't decided if I will get him(waiting too actualy see it live) but I understand why ms select would release this. If you ask me they should have passed on the whole zombie thing,thats so dumb,those will be collecting allllllllllllllllot of dust,theyre already pilling up!

Thing is, though, the timing of this figure misses both of those windows. He'll be released after WWH fever has died down, but before Hulk movie fever starts up.

And Marvel Zombies are incredibly popular, though I'll never understand why.

I like the height of the figure but dont see myslef buying it. I think the face off Hulk is a pretty good definitive version. If it was the red hulk i probably would have bought it just becuase its something different. I may change my mind when they announce a possible pack in or base, I did buy Moon Knight just for the accessory.

Maybe instead of bitching you guys should realize that ms(diamond select) and hasbro are 2 different companies and each are doing there own thing.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. Though I can't say I'm 100% clear on how this whole Marvel licensing thing works, but I do believe Diamond Select is only a distirbutor. It does not actually *make* any of the MS figures. Instead, all are sculpted and produced by the master license-holder (formerly ToyBiz, now Hasbro). Diamond Select then distributes them to comic-shops and other similar specialty stores, as opposed to the big stores and chains.

It's the same with Star Wars. Only Hasbro produces the regular 3-3/4" figures, but it will make exclusive sets for Entertainment Earth. So if you're buying an Entertainment Earth set of Star Wars figures (or a Diamond Select MS figure), you're actually just buying more Hasbro product that was produced in limited numbers and was distributed through specialized channels.

Maybe instead of bitching you guys should realize that ms(diamond select) and hasbro are 2 different companies and each are doing there own thing.

Actually, I don't think that's correct. Though I can't say I'm 100% clear on how this whole Marvel licensing thing works, but I do believe Diamond Select is only a distirbutor. It does not actually *make* any of the MS figures. Instead, all are sculpted and produced by the master license-holder (formerly ToyBiz, now Hasbro). Diamond Select then distributes them to comic-shops and other similar specialty stores, as opposed to the big stores and chains.

It's the same with Star Wars. Only Hasbro produces the regular 3-3/4" figures, but it will make exclusive sets for Entertainment Earth. So if you're buying an Entertainment Earth set of Star Wars figures (or a Diamond Select MS figure), you're actually just buying more Hasbro product that was produced in limited numbers and was distributed through specialized channels.

Your actually way off, Diamond select and hasbro have nothing to do with each other,theyre 2 separate companies. I'f you think back we had marvel select back when toybiz still had the license. Diamond select is not a distributor they produce toys , busts & statues. Check out theyre site and have a look at theyre product archive.

http://www.diamondselecttoys.com

Your actually way off, Diamond select and hasbro have nothing to do with each other,theyre 2 separate companies. I'f you think back we had marvel select back when toybiz still had the license. Diamond select is not a distributor they produce toys , busts & statues. Check out theyre site and have a look at theyre product archive.

I know Diamond Select does have some of its own licenses and produces things like busts. But as far as Marvel Select, I still don't think--or at least I'm not sure--that they actually produce the figures.

I tried to peruse the internets for an answer (thank goodness for lunchtime, because I doubt I'm getting paid to research Marvel action figures), and I found the following info dating from the ToyBiz era:

Wikipedia says they don't make the figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Select

"The line is designed and produced by ToyBiz, but distributed by Diamond Select Toys"

An interview with Jesse Falcon back when Marvel Select was starting up also indicates that DS was not handling the design:

http://www.t o y m a n i a.com/columns/figspeak/mselect.shtml

"We are doing a lot of the design work with feedback and suggestions from DST. It's a great chance for us to work together regularly with people at DST, and it's been a lot of fun."

If indeed that's the case, I can't imagine a megacorp like Hasbro would be LESS restrictive about their licensed characters, but who knows. To get right to the heart of the matter and discover the truth, I've e-mailed DST's customer service about it. If they respond, I'll let you know.

I know Diamond Select does have some of its own licenses and produces things like busts. But as far as Marvel Select, I still don't think--or at least I'm not sure--that they actually produce the figures.

I tried to peruse the internets for an answer (thank goodness for lunchtime, because I doubt I'm getting paid to research Marvel action figures), and I found the following info dating from the ToyBiz era:

Wikipedia says they don't make the figures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvel_Select

"The line is designed and produced by ToyBiz, but distributed by Diamond Select Toys"

An interview with Jesse Falcon back when Marvel Select was starting up also indicates that DS was not handling the design:

http://www.t o y m a n i a.com/columns/figspeak/mselect.shtml

"We are doing a lot of the design work with feedback and suggestions from DST. It's a great chance for us to work together regularly with people at DST, and it's been a lot of fun."

If indeed that's the case, I can't imagine a megacorp like Hasbro would be LESS restrictive about their licensed characters, but who knows. To get right to the heart of the matter and discover the truth, I've e-mailed DST's customer service about it. If they respond, I'll let you know.

Well i'm still not convinced. I guess we have to wait for a response from your e-mail.

Regardless of its actual business relationship, for years the Marvel Select plan has been to produce figures that wouldn't be feasible or appropriate for over-the-counter Legends. Generally, this means artist or story-specific character, or those not toyetic enough for mass retail.

Hulk...isn't any of those, which is why he's rather confusing.

Hey, Electro, I think you win the prize! Here's the response I got from Diamond Select's customer service rep (re-printed with his permission):

"While I can't really reveal the 'inner workings'? of the Marvel Select line, I can understand the confusion. We used to have Toy Biz (later Marvel Toys) sculpt and produce all of our Marvel Select figures, so certain Hasbro elements might have snuck in during that process. We've started using our own sculptors for certain figures though, so it's really a case by case basis."

So there you go!

Looks boring!

This is great, I always wanted a big Hulk fig. This might replace the best Hulk fig I have (face-off) if this new one is taller and stockier. #US1#

That's my view as well. The FO figure is great but for the skinny arms. This new one may not be perfect either, but maybe a head swap will do the trick.

Hey, Electro, I think you win the prize! Here's the response I got from Diamond Select's customer service rep (re-printed with his permission):

"While I can't really reveal the 'inner workings'? of the Marvel Select line, I can understand the confusion. We used to have Toy Biz (later Marvel Toys) sculpt and produce all of our Marvel Select figures, so certain Hasbro elements might have snuck in during that process. We've started using our own sculptors for certain figures though, so it's really a case by case basis."

So there you go!

What did I win ;) . I was pretty sure they were 2 seperate companies.