F4 boxset? Should Hasbro do it?

pastwatch2001

Should Hasbro release their latest F4 figs but with black/blue costumes instead of the white and paint some sleeves on Invisible Woman? They can also do a variant on Torch if they want. Would you guys buy it or are you all completely happy with what they just released? I think its a great way for them to make some easy cash and please lots of fans. What do you think?

I think that while such a move is logical, it's not going to happen for a while. Two reasons:

-The FF wave is still on the shelves, and will be until some time after Christmas.

-Hasbro hasn't done any ML boxed sets at all, yet. It remains to be seen if this is even an avenue they're interested in exploring.

Yea, I'd agree with the above. The FF is in saturation right now, as far as product goes--movie and comics lines are out now. Intro a box set and one or the other will be shelf-glue.

And the second point about Hasbro not doing boxed sets has me thinking.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that they didn't do that well for Toybiz. Most of the buzz from collectors for a lot of these sets tells of people buying them at discount prices. The common complaint being that they were too pricey at full retail. Well, with any product, when its offered at a discount, its a sign that its failed at market.

Toybiz dumped a lot of product in the last two quarters of 06, and the boxed sets were some of those.

Hasbro has probably seen those numbers, seen that they were moving only at discount and rightly decided that such sets were foolish for them to try at this time.

i have to say no. unless it a box set with all the filler like Crystal, She-Thing, Black Panther and Storm.

that i would buy, or the super spikey thing,the first ms. marvel, she hulk with the ff costume (like the sdcc one but without the ponytail head), ....luke cage and the second ant man were ff members too right? and medusa!

i checked the marvel site and aparently namorita too

i would totally buy it. But only is Human Torch had a non-flamed on head. othwerwise i'd just buy the singles of them on ebay.

i'd really like this Invisible Woman mold but with sleeves in the blue & black costume. I'd prefer a Mr Fantastic repaint using like, Quicksilver's body but with the head from the FF Ronan line Mr Fantastic. And Human Torch - they could use like, a Peter Parker head (like the one that came with the Stan Lee figure) and paint the hair blonde.

yeah, i'd buy it then.

haha, so if they let ME make it, then i'd buy it.

Yea, I'd agree with the above. The FF is in saturation right now, as far as product goes--movie and comics lines are out now. Intro a box set and one or the other will be shelf-glue.

And the second point about Hasbro not doing boxed sets has me thinking.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and speculate that they didn't do that well for Toybiz. Most of the buzz from collectors for a lot of these sets tells of people buying them at discount prices. The common complaint being that they were too pricey at full retail. Well, with any product, when its offered at a discount, its a sign that its failed at market.

Toybiz dumped a lot of product in the last two quarters of 06, and the boxed sets were some of those.

Hasbro has probably seen those numbers, seen that they were moving only at discount and rightly decided that such sets were foolish for them to try at this time.

Another thing to consider is that toybiz boxed sets were all figures that were put out already perhaps slightly remolded I think... With maybe one new character in them... if hasbro were to do boxed sets I'd think they could pull the odd one off now and then depending on characters they used & if they used NEW toys that have not been released singly already... Granted they could use one or two repaints or a variant of some kind of a past mold

I am down with this is part because the Human Torch looks like he's gone Super SaIyan and I want that fixed, but also I want a Sue Storm that matchs the rest of the FF. I get so annoyed with Invisible Woman figures. They just never seem to do them right. Plus I certainly don't want DBZ Torch. So if they corrected those two issues, I'd pick it up in a heart beat.

Another thing to consider is that toybiz boxed sets were all figures that were put out already perhaps slightly remolded I think... With maybe one new character in them...

Early on, yes--but later sets featured all-new molds on many figures. The ratio was maybe one re-used figure to 4-5 new molded ones with the last 1/2 dozen sets.

Should Hasbro release their latest F4 figs but with black/blue costumes instead of the white and paint some sleeves on Invisible Woman? They can also do a variant on Torch if they want. Would you guys buy it or are you all completely happy with what they just released? I think its a great way for them to make some easy cash and please lots of fans. What do you think?

that would be cool. and they should release it in the philippines. please!

Yes, I want the classic blue and black uniformed FF as a boxed set. Give Johnny a head sculpt like on the box instead of the Dragon Ball Z hair. Some eye make up for Sue would work also. Add a new Namor figure with articulation like the Torch (I won't comment on Namor's current articulation :( ) Give the new Namor a mean expression and strong looking hands like Black Knight.

In another FF wave I'd love Blastaar, Psycho Man, Medusa, Crystal, Klaw and Triton. Add a Dragon Man BAF and it's time for my wallet to ache once again!

Yes, I want the classic blue and black uniformed FF as a boxed set. Give Johnny a head sculpt like on the box instead of the Dragon Ball Z hair. Some eye make up for Sue would work also. Add a new Namor figure with articulation like the Torch (I won't comment on Namor's current articulation :( ) Give the new Namor a mean expression and strong looking hands like Black Knight.

In another FF wave I'd love Blastaar, Psycho Man, Medusa, Crystal, Klaw and Triton. Add a Dragon Man BAF and it's time for my wallet to ache once again!

i totally agree! The 'strong hands' comment actually made sense (even if it does sund weird). And i like the way you think - 'it's time for my wallet to ache once again'...

do we think Hasbro will even put out a second line of FF figures?

Pastwatch didn't say that they should do it right now - clearly, that would not be the best idea. But I do think it's a good idea, perhaps a year from now, or maybe even later, when the third FF movie comes out. Clearly, there's a demand for it - just not maybe a giant one.

As to the past boxed sets not doing well, that seems to be a valid point. So, why not do a boxed set as a convention/internet exclusive, like they did with the Stan Lee and She-Hulk figures?

That totally sidesteps the issue with the boxes taking up tons of space at retail. It also means that the fact that the box might have a somewhat more limited appeal is not as much of an issue.

Plus, wouldn't Hasbro make more profit by cutting out the middleman (Walmart, etc)?

Hasbro has pissed me off in so many ways, but one thing they have done right is making the figures available directly from them online. I begged for that many times over the years from Toybiz.

Also, nearly every Toybiz box set featured at least one repaint. The Monsters box set had one - Dracula was basically Prof X, but with a new head, vest, and cape. In the House of M set, Hulk was a repaint for the most part (just a new head, I think). Young Avengers is the only one I can think of that was totally new.

How about this - the FF in the black and blue costumes, with a new head for Johnny so he has a totally "flame off" thing going. Paint Ben in a somewhat less neon color scheme... something a bit darker and more rusty... just to be different from the other fig. And I like the idea of using a quicksilver body for Reid, but I wouldn't mind a stretchy Reid in the classic costume either. And then, throw in a Dragon Man repaint. Or maybe Doombot. Or maybe a Super Skrull? Doesn't matter, as long as it's a repaint of a hard to find figure.

Sell the thing for 40 bucks (that should be possible since there are no BAF pieces this time), available at cons first, then online.

And as a totally separate issue, could we please have the Mole monster from FF1 as a BAF at some point? He needs to be huge, too!

Pastwatch didn't say that they should do it right now - clearly, that would not be the best idea. But I do think it's a good idea, perhaps a year from now, or maybe even later, when the third FF movie comes out. Clearly, there's a demand for it - just not maybe a giant one.

As to the past boxed sets not doing well, that seems to be a valid point. So, why not do a boxed set as a convention/internet exclusive, like they did with the Stan Lee and She-Hulk figures?

That totally sidesteps the issue with the boxes taking up tons of space at retail. It also means that the fact that the box might have a somewhat more limited appeal is not as much of an issue.

Plus, wouldn't Hasbro make more profit by cutting out the middleman (Walmart, etc)?

Hasbro has pissed me off in so many ways, but one thing they have done right is making the figures available directly from them online. I begged for that many times over the years from Toybiz.

Also, nearly every Toybiz box set featured at least one repaint. The Monsters box set had one - Dracula was basically Prof X, but with a new head, vest, and cape. In the House of M set, Hulk was a repaint for the most part (just a new head, I think). Young Avengers is the only one I can think of that was totally new.

How about this - the FF in the black and blue costumes, with a new head for Johnny so he has a totally "flame off" thing going. Paint Ben in a somewhat less neon color scheme... something a bit darker and more rusty... just to be different from the other fig. And I like the idea of using a quicksilver body for Reid, but I wouldn't mind a stretchy Reid in the classic costume either. And then, throw in a Dragon Man repaint. Or maybe Doombot. Or maybe a Super Skrull? Doesn't matter, as long as it's a repaint of a hard to find figure.

Sell the thing for 40 bucks (that should be possible since there are no BAF pieces this time), available at cons first, then online.

And as a totally separate issue, could we please have the Mole monster from FF1 as a BAF at some point? He needs to be huge, too!

well said. that's it.