Why is wresttling still going on with the writer's strike?

Bigsexy944

I never even heard anything alluding to the fact that WWE may be in trouble because of the writers being on strike, I mean its garbage right now but somebody has to write it. I know its not like its a movie script or anything but skits, storylines etc...Triple H and Michael Cole both made cracks about it this week but it gave no insight into anything.

Are management just picking up the slack?

The Writers in Pro Wrestling are former wrestlers themselves... Sgt. Slaughter, Terry Taylor,Fab. Moolah(RIP) and others are all there to flesh out the on air persona's of today's hacks! The action is real... the personalities are not!

I think Michael Hayes is the only former wrestler who is a writer in WWE.

Moolah never had anything to do with it and Taylor, last I heard, was in TNA. Slaughter works behind the scenes but not as a writer. Most former wrestlers like Malenko and AA are just road agents, not writers. Thay have actual writers who script the shows and "write" them.

Road agents and even the wrestlers themselves can give ideas and suggestions but none of them are writing shows.

Is it just me or last week's Raw was pretty crappy?! I was bored to death.

Stone Colds segment was awful!!!

Could this be a concequence of the strike?

I thought it was alright.

Stone Colds segments are always awful now. It's just the same rehashed Stone Cold stuff over and over. Stunner and drink beer. Even his promos sound forced, he trips over his lines alot now. Santino was great though, I love that guy.

Santino reminds me of The Rock in some ways. He pretty much sucked as a wrestler, from what we saw. Nobody liked him. He turns heel and becomes really funny and entertaining. Both won the IC title way too early.

The men and women behind all movies and scripted television shows have been on strike since the first week of November after negotiations fell through that would have given writers a pay increase for royalties of the shows and movies they worked on. Currently, writers receive residuals (profits made from subsequent airings or purchases of a program). These are a necessary part of a writer’s income which is relied upon during periods of unemployment, which are common in the writing industry. The WGA has requested a doubling of the residual rate for DVD sales, which would result in a residual of approximately eight cents (up from four cents) per DVD sold.

While that does not sound like much, considering the amount of DVD purchases made in the United States alone was over $5 billion dollars, the residuals add up. Writers also want the residual formula proposed for DVD sales to be applied to “new media” (video-on-demand, internet downloads, etc) as well.

The Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers have deemed the demands too unreasonable and the strike is now underway.

As far as wrestling goes, the writers in WWE, TNA, etc. are not card-carrying members of the Writers Guild and therefore are not on strike. Actually, WWE could benefit from this as if the strike carries on for many months, WWE will get a call for prime-time programming with NBC looking to fill space vacated by the lack of new prime-time scripted television shows (comedies, dramas, etc.).

I wonder if things get really bad with there not being any new shows if some smaller feds like ROH could get big tv deals out of this or even another TNA show.

What if we end up getting wrestling every night of the week?

...What if we end up getting wrestling every night of the week?

See, I'm all about this idea! Monday Night Raw, ECW on SciFi tues. Wed Night Wrap-Up, thurs. Night is "Superstars" (my idea for the classic all time match-ups to get air time and best of treatment like Vh1), Fri night Smackdown and Sat would be G.L.O.W. yeah vince owns their whole library too...or Stephanie does, one of the two?

I don't think they own the GLOW library. There are various "Best Of" DVDs that have been popping up over the past couple of years. If Vince had the library, they'd be produced by WWE, and these aren't.

As for classics, there's always 24/7. For about $8 a month, it's a hell of a good deal.

The "writers" for WWE (if you can even call them that with some of the crap that pops up), are mostly ex-sitcom crackheads according to all known info. Hayes & Dusty are really the only 2 that have anything to do with writing as far as I know.

And I'd be all for ROH getting some major exposure. They just need a little bit more for production.

Same for Shimmer Women's Wrestling. Those girls can actually, dear lord, wrestle.

WWE doesn't own the GLOW library. It's one of the few libraries they don't own.

Wrestling every night would be tremendous over-kill, especially when the product isn't anywhere near as good as it could be on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday (WWE and TNA programming). The only way this idea would be good is if some network did take the chance, as someone mentioned earlier, and gave Ring of Honor a chance. Maybe a revival of Saturday Night's Main Event, but not every week as once a month would be good and not draining. Ring of Honor on Wednesday on some network like FX could really be big and an alternative (for wrestling fans and for those bored by Wednesday night TV).

Entertainment News International (ENI) is the #1 popular culture network for adult fans all around the world.
Get the scoop on all the popular comics, games, movies, toys, and more every day!

Contact and Support

Advertising | Submit News | Contact ENI | Privacy Policy

©Entertainment News International - All images, trademarks, logos, video, brands and images used on this website are registered trademarks of their respective companies and owners. All Rights Reserved. Data has been shared for news reporting purposes only. All content sourced by fans, online websites, and or other fan community sources. Entertainment News International is not responsible for reporting errors, inaccuracies, omissions, and or other liablities related to news shared here. We do our best to keep tabs on infringements. If some of your content was shared by accident. Contact us about any infringements right away - CLICK HERE