If you only buy one 5 inch movie figure, make it Scorpion

Alexx

I'm sorry but that ain't scorpion.I don't know why hasbro keeps changing the classic costumes but It pisses me off.

get it throug you sculls hasbro,classic costumes only!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw that. Some classic costumes look @##@@ ridiculous. Hence why they get changed.

Luke Cage, I am looking right at you!

Also, this Scorpion is totally accurate to its source material. It's not Hasbro's fault if you don't know what the source material is.

Are you kidding me? Is Luke’s tiara not in vogue? I think fashion in the superhero realm is rather…relative. We’re not talking about what’s in for the fall season. These are characters that tend to fancy brightly colored tights and epically flapping capes. They’re all somewhat tongue and cheek and been so since inception. No one in reality dresses like any of these characters. Can you say you’ve seen your neighbor trotting around in a pointy eared cowl? Does Ol’ horn headed DD go see if his Paxil is ready at Walgreens? This isn’t glamour of the month. This isn’t realism. Comic books are an extreme form of exaggerated and heightened reality. From a certain point of view they’re all @##@@ ridiculous. What you consider acceptable, Spider-Man and Nick Fury I’d estimate, are still ultimately wearing obnoxiously loud tights like the rest. So I think your point is moot…

And for what it’s worth, Mysterio is considered to be one of the most ridiculous looking super villains in the history of Marvel comics. He’s obviously one of my personal favorites. Point is, his costume has essentially remained the very same since his initial appearance in 1964. It’s gone through some alterations, but always still in the light of the classic Ditko design. And ultimately it always finds it’s way back to basically the exact appearance. Sure Mysterio isn’t necessarily a big name, but he isn’t unknown or lacking a fanbase either. He’s openly famous director Kevin Smiths favorite Spider-Man villain and he’s had a continuous presence in the Spider-Man mythos for decades. So no, no offence meant, but costumes aren’t updated or changed simply only because their previous was corny. I'd argue that costumes are more often changed to revamp a failing series - money purposes.

Are you kidding me? Is Luke's tiara not in vogue? I think fashion in the superhero realm is rather…relative. We're not talking about what's in for the fall season. These are characters that tend to fancy brightly colored tights and epically flapping capes. They're all somewhat tongue and cheek and been so since inception. No one in reality dresses like any of these characters. Can you say you've seen your neighbor trotting around in a pointy eared cowl? Does Ol' horn headed DD go see if his Paxil is ready at Walgreens? This isn't glamour of the month. This isn't realism. Comic books are an extreme form of exaggerated and heightened reality. From a certain point of view they're all @##@@ ridiculous. What you consider acceptable, Spider-Man and Nick Fury I'd estimate, are still ultimately wearing obnoxiously loud tights like the rest. So I think your point is moot…

Of course superhero costumes are relative; that doesn't mean that they still don't have standards. There are several costumes which, even allowing for the conventions of the genre, still look incredibly stupid. Saying "normal fashion rules don't apply" doesn't automatically lead to "any fashion rules don't apply".

And Luke Cage's original outfit looks stupid, even by comic standards. There's a reason he doesn't wear it anymore.

Are you kidding me? Is Luke's tiara not in vogue? I think fashion in the superhero realm is rather…relative. We're not talking about what's in for the fall season. These are characters that tend to fancy brightly colored tights and epically flapping capes. They're all somewhat tongue and cheek and been so since inception. No one in reality dresses like any of these characters. Can you say you've seen your neighbor trotting around in a pointy eared cowl? Does Ol' horn headed DD go see if his Paxil is ready at Walgreens? This isn't glamour of the month. This isn't realism. Comic books are an extreme form of exaggerated and heightened reality. From a certain point of view they're all @##@@ ridiculous. What you consider acceptable, Spider-Man and Nick Fury I'd estimate, are still ultimately wearing obnoxiously loud tights like the rest. So I think your point is moot…

Of course superhero costumes are relative; that doesn't mean that they still don't have standards. There are several costumes which, even allowing for the conventions of the genre, still look incredibly stupid. Saying "normal fashion rules don't apply" doesn't automatically lead to "any fashion rules don't apply".

And Luke Cage's original outfit looks stupid, even by comic standards. There's a reason he doesn't wear it anymore.

Is it really any better then street cloths? At least it was creative. I'd take his classic look over whats basically just a casual black guy any day.

Is it really any better then street cloths? At least it was creative. I'd take his classic look over whats basically just a casual black guy any day.

It wasn't creative when it was created; it was a stereotyped blaxploitation take on a superhero outfit. Now it's only unique because it's dated. And considering that from his inception, Cage has just been a working-class super hero (Hero For Hire, and all), it makes sense for him to eschew fancy superheroic wardrobes.

Of course, I'll admit that the reason I singled out Luke Cage is because I wanted a modern version of him to complete the New Avengers, and the 70's version is just an eyesore among the modern costumes.

It wasn't creative when it was created; it was a stereotyped blaxploitation take on a superhero outfit. Now it's only unique because it's dated. And considering that from his inception, Cage has just been a working-class super hero (Hero For Hire, and all), it makes sense for him to eschew fancy superheroic wardrobes.

Of course, I'll admit that the reason I singled out Luke Cage is because I wanted a modern version of him to complete the New Avengers, and the 70's version is just an eyesore among the modern costumes.

Well I'll give you that it was corny and blatantly blaxploitation. Funny thing is, that’s exactly why I like it. For the most part I don’t like my comic books to take themselves too seriously. With a character like Luke Cage and the Avengers, you’re not looking at potential for an extremely in depth and intellectual story. These are mainly action based stories. Sure there is drama, but thats in direct connection to that action. I confess that I do believe some superhero characters have the ability to hold higher brow and/or artful plots…but I don’t think anyone would claim that Luke Cage is one of them. So in which case…I’d rather him less serious because his character doesn‘t require much of a mind to begin with. I don’t think anyone is believing he’s going to go down in history as one of the finest superhero characters ever created. Personally I thought he was more interesting when he was corny - at least I noticed him. At least he made me laugh on occasion. When you’ve got a guy in a straight edge male getup…it’s just not screaming for attention. It's showing he shops at Sears - unless he has finer tastes. Nothing about the costume displays the character himself. If my initial introduction to the character was the current look, I’d have never had any interest in him. He literally looks as if he’s just some average Joe. So I’m personally pleased with the classic disco costume Toybiz figure.

But who knows, maybe you’ll get a modern Cage sooner or later. Hasbro does seem to focus more on modern era then Toybiz ever did.

I'm sorry but that ain't scorpion.I don't know why hasbro keeps changing the classic costumes but It pisses me off.

get it throug you sculls hasbro,classic costumes only!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Screw that. Some classic costumes look @##@@ ridiculous. Hence why they get changed.

Luke Cage, I am looking right at you!

Also, this Scorpion is totally accurate to its source material. It's not Hasbro's fault if you don't know what the source material is.

You smoked some really good stuff!

All the classic costumes look amazing.What has this piece of crap got to do with scorpion??? That suit is a pure invention of hasbro,scorpion never wore this suit.It doesn't even look like him.Whoever came up with this at hasbro should be fired on the spot!

Accurate to source material,GIVE ME A BREAK!! Obviously you know nothing of the classic era to make such a statement.Read the classic comics from the 60's then come and talk to me!

Kids today,they think they know it all when in fact they know nothing!!!

I know plenty of the classic era Spider-Man, as my bookshelf can attest to. But you apparently don't know enough of the modern era to make sweeping statements about source material.

This Scorpion costume is taken from the design used in the Spider-Man 3 video game. All of the villain designs from the 5 inch Spidey line are taken either from the movies or the video games based on the movies. Lizard, Kraven, and Rhino are using their SM3 game designs. Shocker and Vulture were unchanged for their inclusion in the Spider-Man 2 video game. The first Scorpion figure in the five inch line was based on his constume from the first Spider-Man movie video game.

I will thank you very much not to question my knowledge of Spidey.

I will question your'e knowledge of spidey any day of the week, because obviously you don't know the meaning of source material. The source material as you put it , is the classic comics and what does scorpion look like in the classic comics?? This abomination they came up with is revolting and an insult to every spidey fan. Marvel should never allow anybody to alter the costumes,for games or figures period.

As for the modern era I know plenty, but I remain an old school marvel fan at heart. I grew up with the old school stuff and to me thats the real deal.

bottom line you don't change a classic,thats a crime!!

I will question your'e knowledge of spidey any day of the week, because obviously you don't know the meaning of source material. The source material as you put it , is the classic comics and what does scorpion look like in the classic comics?? This abomination they came up with is revolting and an insult to every spidey fan. Marvel should never allow anybody to alter the costumes,for games or figures period.

As for the modern era I know plenty, but I remain an old school marvel fan at heart. I grew up with the old school stuff and to me thats the real deal.

Hey, here's an idea: you don't question my knowledge of my favorite fictional character of all time, and I don't question your knowledge of punctuation and grammar. Deal? Deal.

I'm going to go over this very slowly, to ensure there is no misunderstanding.

The source material for the Spider-Man 3 lines is the movie trilogy and the video game media. The Scorpion figure is accurate to the video game design.

The source material for the Spider-Man 3 video game is any and all interpretations of the Scorpion costume over the years.

So, your declaration that someone at Hasbro be fired for the redesign is rooted in ignorence, because Hasbro didn't redesign the character's costume. In fact, Hasbro made the completely logical choice to pull from the "expanded" movie cannon offered by the video games. (Or otherwise the five inch Spidey line would have only been as large as the Marvel Legends Spidey trilogy line.)

Now, if you are of the opinion that classic costumes should never be changed, that's fine. However, that is a completely different debate. The fact is, the Scorpion costume was changed for the Spidey 3 video game, and Hasbro was completely in the right to use that design for the figure. It would have been foolish to do otherwise.

And, as a Spidey fan since I was nine years old, I'm not insulted that they've done so.

What I am insulted by, however, is the intolorence of you and others of a similar mindset for different aspects of the characters' histories. Regardless of your impressions, I do love the classic era, particularly Gerry Conway's original run. (I'd better love it, or the money I spent to have a complete collection of Essential Spidey volumes is wasted.) However, I'm not going to disparage what comes later simply because it isn't "classic". I'll disparage it, sure, but on individual aesthetic or story-telling grounds.

And what I certainly won't do is try to browbeat others when their tates differ from my own. As I said earlier, I think the classic Luke Cage costume is ridiculous, and I'd have preferred that Toy Biz make the modern version, but that is only my individual preference, and I'm not going to tell anyone they're wrong to like it.

The bottom line is, everyone's deal is equally real.

Hey, here's an idea: you don't question my knowledge of my favorite fictional character of all time, and I don't question your knowledge of punctuation and grammar. Deal? Deal.

The source material for the Spider-Man 3 lines is the movie trilogy and the video game media. The Scorpion figure is accurate to the video game design.

The source material for the Spider-Man 3 video game is any and all interpretations of the Scorpion costume over the years.

So, your declaration that someone at Hasbro be fired for the redesign is rooted in ignorence, because Hasbro didn't redesign the character's costume. In fact, Hasbro made the completely logical choice to pull from the "expanded" movie cannon offered by the video games. (Or otherwise the five inch Spidey line would have only been as large as the Marvel Legends Spidey trilogy line.)

Now, if you are of the opinion that classic costumes should never be changed, that's fine. However, that is a completely different debate. The fact is, the Scorpion costume was changed for the Spidey 3 video game, and Hasbro was completely in the right to use that design for the figure. It would have been foolish to do otherwise.

And, as a Spidey fan since I was nine years old, I'm not insulted that they've done so.

What I am insulted by, however, is the intolorence of you and others of a similar mindset for different aspects of the characters' histories. Regardless of your impressions, I do love the classic era, particularly Gerry Conway's original run. (I'd better love it, or the money I spent to have a complete collection of Essential Spidey volumes is wasted.) However, I'm not going to disparage what comes later simply because it isn't "classic". I'll disparage it, sure, but on individual aesthetic or story-telling grounds.

And what I certainly won't do is try to browbeat others when their tates differ from my own. As I said earlier, I think the classic Luke Cage costume is ridiculous, and I'd have preferred that Toy Biz make the modern version, but that is only my individual preference, and I'm not going to tell anyone they're wrong to like it.

Here, here! Well said, sir!

What the grammar and punctuation has got to do with this debate I don't know,lol.

That aside, my statement about hasbro was made from this perspective,although hasbro didn't do the actual costume change,that being whoever made the game someone at hasbro still made the decision to choose this costume for the figure.Thats why I hold hasbro responsible.

I have no problem with the movie costumes being in the game but scorpion or mysterio for that matter were not in the movies so what right did the game company have to change costumes on their own? Base figs and games on actual costumes,classic or movie but don't invent one out of thin air,thats just plain wrong.

I am not intolerent as you put it but i simply believe its a chame when classic characters are destroyed by someone desining a game who has no knowledge of the marvel universe. This particular costume has absolutely no history whatsoever its an invention of the game company.

I never told anyone not to like this fig, I simply put forward my own opinion, i'f you like it hey more power to ya. I just think its plain sad that a classic character is redesigned by a companie nominated to make a game.They simply should not have the right to modify characters. If you don't feel insulted by this thats ok but i do.

Bottom line, everyone is intitled to their opinion and I respect it but to me classic is the only way to go!

Again, it would have been foolish for Hasbro to have based the costume on anything other than the video game. The aesthetic of the games are based as close as possible on the movies.

Really, I don't see why you're fine with costumes being changed for the movie, but not media based on the movie, particularly when the train of thought behind them (IE, "How can we make this design function in the real world while still being recognizable as a certain character?") is exactly the same. Classic Scorpion simply wouldn't work in the same game that had New Goblin.

And, for reference, SM3 Scorpy clearly takes his designs cues from both replacement character Scorpia and the John Byrne Scorpion design.

scorpionnewgreenlc3.th.gif

440pxscorpia2vf3.th.jpg

So, there are clearly precedents for his appearance. And I don't know how you can get much more "classic Marvel" than John Bryne

Again, it would have been foolish for Hasbro to have based the costume on anything other than the video game. The aesthetic of the games are based as close as possible on the movies.

Really, I don't see why you're fine with costumes being changed for the movie, but not media based on the movie, particularly when the train of thought behind them (IE, "How can we make this design function in the real world while still being recognizable as a certain character?") is exactly the same. Classic Scorpion simply wouldn't work in the same game that had New Goblin.

And, for reference, SM3 Scorpy clearly takes his designs cues from both replacement character Scorpia and the John Byrne Scorpion design.

scorpionnewgreenlc3.th.gif

440pxscorpia2vf3.th.jpg

So, there are clearly precedents for his appearance. And I don't know how you can get much more "classic Marvel" than John Bryne

I don't believe it would have been foolish at all,he would have fit in just fine. You say yourself that the games are based closely on the movies,well scorpion was not in the movies,thats the difference.This costume is fiction,and the scorpion in the pic you put up looks terrible,looks nothing like scorpion. If anything i would put him in the 2099 category.

I am fine with the movie costumes exactly for that reason because they were used in the movies,this scorpion was not,he's pure fiction. If thats the way they plan on making scorpion look in a future movie then I say forget him altogether.I would rather not see him in a movie then have him ruined like they did with this new goblin business.

To me classic marvel is John Romita sr.He's the original. This Byrne guy doesn't even come close in my opinion. But thats just me. You have you're favorite and I have mine and thats ok.

I saw that scorpion at retail, and I agree, he looks pretty good.

That said, I'm in the camp that doesn't like the 5" figures. Not because they inherently suck, but just because they're taking shelf space away from the potential bigger figures that could have been.

I bought four of the 5" figures because for some odd reason my target put them on super discount right when they first came out. To me, they're a great value at 3.50 each or so. That's about what a happy meal toy is worth to me. It's not that I hate the actual 5" figure itself. They're sorta fun. But they are so far away from the Marvel Legends I love, and yet somehow they only cost a little less.

Given the huge amounts of 5" FF and Spidey figures still on the pegs at all of the local toy stores, further discounting is probably to come. Walmart has already lowered the price by a buck or so - still not low enough for me to buy.

So, if I'm lucky enough to find 5" Vulture, Black Cat, Mysterio, Shocker, or Scorpion at something like half off original retail, I'll snag them. But not before. And if I never find them at that price, I'll manage to carry on... somehow!

What's going to stink is that I suspect that as prices fall, the few cool figures in this line will be snapped up right away, leaving us with hundreds of 5" action feature Spideys... I don't want those at any price!

I saw that scorpion at retail, and I agree, he looks pretty good.

That said, I'm in the camp that doesn't like the 5" figures. Not because they inherently suck, but just because they're taking shelf space away from the potential bigger figures that could have been.

I bought four of the 5" figures because for some odd reason my target put them on super discount right when they first came out. To me, they're a great value at 3.50 each or so. That's about what a happy meal toy is worth to me. It's not that I hate the actual 5" figure itself. They're sorta fun. But they are so far away from the Marvel Legends I love, and yet somehow they only cost a little less.

Given the huge amounts of 5" FF and Spidey figures still on the pegs at all of the local toy stores, further discounting is probably to come. Walmart has already lowered the price by a buck or so - still not low enough for me to buy.

So, if I'm lucky enough to find 5" Vulture, Black Cat, Mysterio, Shocker, or Scorpion at something like half off original retail, I'll snag them. But not before. And if I never find them at that price, I'll manage to carry on... somehow!

What's going to stink is that I suspect that as prices fall, the few cool figures in this line will be snapped up right away, leaving us with hundreds of 5" action feature Spideys... I don't want those at any price!

only kids like them.. because.. they're for kids.. only for kids.. collectors don't need action features..

Oy, that's what I've been dealing with for awhile now, and have been since the Classics line. For every ten Spider-Men there are two villains. I was flipping through the hundreds of Spider-Men for awhile before I finally came across this Scorpion and Shocker.

I guess that's the Batman curse though; Spider-Man plays it well. You always have to search for the villains because....well, I don't know really. Do kids like having tons of Batmen and Spider-Men fighting eachother? Wouldn't they like a villain or two to have thier heros fight against?

Ah well. If anything cool is left in the clearences I might pick 'em up, but that Scorpion and Shocker were the last of the 5 inchers that really I wanted (though web armor Spider-Man has caught my eye because he's hilarious. He's more like Web Accident Spider-Man).

I hate to re-hash this old topic, but I was following it and haven't checked in until now.

WOW. Haha.

Electro16, please tell me you're not serious about all this.

#1 Reason why your arguement doesn't work for me

I am fine with the movie costumes exactly for that reason because they were used in the movies,this scorpion was not,he's pure fiction.

You couldn't be MORE right. He is pure fiction. On that note, so is Spider-man, Batman, Superman, He-man(haha), the Joker, Wolverine, and of course, Electro. They are all FICTION(I hope I didn't just crush your dreams ;) ). They are not real. PERIOD. This is more than enough reason for this verbal battle between you and Sheriff to not have gotten this far.

#2 Reason why your arguement doesn't work for me

I have no problem with the movie costumes being in the game but scorpion or mysterio for that matter were not in the movies so what right did the game company have to change costumes on their own?

Haha. Chances are, Marvel gave them the right. Yeah, MARVEL. Marvel owns the character rights, not Hasbro. Infact, someone at Marvel probably helped design our Scorpion in question. Long story short, blame Mravel if you need someone to blame.

Look, I am no Spider-man super-fan. <-I am, apparently a rapper. JK.

Seriously, I don't know the elaborate history of Spidey. I am just on the outside looking in on the arguement between Mr. Sheriff and you.

Regardless of ALL of this, Alexx already made the best point yet:

"IT'S JUST A TOY"

I saw this figure a few days ago, and it really didn't seem that great. but then I saw the Mysterio, and I got Jelious. if it was in 6 inch form, I think it would totally trump the Toy Biz one. he just looked damn cool. I'd get him for the nifty smoke display alone.

... My custom Mysterio is still supreme, though, so I am happy. :)

only kids like them.. because.. they're for kids.. only for kids.. collectors don't need action features..

Yeah, and the kids love them so much that they're flying off the shelves... oh wait... they aren't! Hasbro has announced disappointing earnings from the Marvel license. So I don't know who these kids are who love the 5" figures so darn much. I don't know about your Walmart, but at my local Wally, there are literally dozens of cases worth of figures warming the pegs. The metallic ones alone take up an entire endcap. And this is after the DVD has been released, and the hype is really dying down. What hasn't sold by now may never move.

My whole point, which you seem to have missed entirely, is that 5" figures with limited articulation take away peg space from the good figures. If there was enough peg room for Hasbro to release a 5" and 6" line at the same time (ideally just before the movie comes out), then of course I would have no problem with the 5" figures.

Toybiz was able to make money on figures that were pleasing to both kids and collectors. Why can't Hasbro?

And that Sandman BAF is lame... but not as lame as the Brood Queen! Hasbro sucks!

Recently got the 5" Black Cat, Shocker, and Doc Ock for myself, thanks to a recent sale on the 5" Spider-man 3 figures in Canadian TRU stores. In my opioion, I agree with the person who started this post that a good toy is a good toy, regardless of what scale there are in. And I do believe that these 3 figures are good/decent toys, especially Shocker. And for Black Cat, I'm glad that she turned out better, espeicially since prototype pictures made the face look more like a man(According to some in this board). And I do like the 5" Movie Ock instead of the 6" only because he's wearing a shirt, unlike the 6" Movie Ocks(The 6" ones end up making him look like some sort of hobo or a "Flasher"). Matter of fact, I would of perfered that when Hasbro made the 6" Spider-man Movie Trilogy figures, that they would used the 5" figure design of Ock and put that in the 6" scale with more articulation. And I do agree that the 2nd version of the 5" Scorpion figure from the Spider-man 3 line looks okay/cool, eventhough I'm not a huge fan of the design so much(Just my opinion).

That said, although I never let scale decide if I should get a figure or not, and I have no problems having different scale figures interacting with each other(To a degree, and it depends on the toyline), I will admit that I would of perfered these figures in the 6" scale, only because I'm so use to that scale now, and for better interaction with the ML figures(I'm the type who has no problem having his Marvel movie, video games, and cartoon figures interact with the comic book figures). I just hope that both the Iron Man and Hulk movies are done in the 6" scale, and not 5", only because I perfer that scale.

I hate to re-hash this old topic, but I was following it and haven't checked in until now.

WOW. Haha.

Electro16, please tell me you're not serious about all this.

#1 Reason why your arguement doesn't work for me

I am fine with the movie costumes exactly for that reason because they were used in the movies,this scorpion was not,he's pure fiction.

You couldn't be MORE right. He is pure fiction. On that note, so is Spider-man, Batman, Superman, He-man(haha), the Joker, Wolverine, and of course, Electro. They are all FICTION(I hope I didn't just crush your dreams ;) ). They are not real. PERIOD. This is more than enough reason for this verbal battle between you and Sheriff to not have gotten this far.

#2 Reason why your arguement doesn't work for me

I have no problem with the movie costumes being in the game but scorpion or mysterio for that matter were not in the movies so what right did the game company have to change costumes on their own?

Haha. Chances are, Marvel gave them the right. Yeah, MARVEL. Marvel owns the character rights, not Hasbro. Infact, someone at Marvel probably helped design our Scorpion in question. Long story short, blame Mravel if you need someone to blame.

Look, I am no Spider-man super-fan. <-I am, apparently a rapper. JK.

Seriously, I don't know the elaborate history of Spidey. I am just on the outside looking in on the arguement between Mr. Sheriff and you.

Regardless of ALL of this, Alexx already made the best point yet:

"IT'S JUST A TOY"

LOL, I like the quote about the dreams. I know there all fiction but what I meant was that the new costume is fiction as opossed too the original accepted costume.