THE GOLDEN COMPASS

Dark_Phoenix

• 4 weeks later...

I saw them today at the local TRU. They look to be about 3 1/2 - 4'' scale. The figures look really good for the scale.

Overall, their likenesses are pretty decent. You can tell who is supposed to be who. They're not perfect by any means, but really good for this scale. The paint apps on most of the figures were quite good, though some were better than others so you might want to find the best version of each character. At $5.99/figure and $9.99/battle bear they're pretty reasonably priced too.

I got:

Serafina - This is a neat figure. They integrate real cloth elements very well into the figure, and she can hold her bow and arrow well. The only bad part is that her hair restricts her head movement to prevent a really great arrow-shooting pose. Unlike the other figures, she has a hard time standing up on her own.

Ms. Coulter - It's a Nicole Kidman action figure! She looks a good amount like her. The outfit isn't the most glamorous (everyone seems ready for the winter cold in this set) but it looks good. However, her leg articulation is very limited by her dress. She comes with her Daemon, who, like all the daemon's, have the added touch of paint apps which is appreciated.

Lyra - Lyra is a good figure. She's well articulated, and her outfit allows good leg movement. She has interchangeable hands (which you don't see in the store as they are hidden in the packaging) so that she can have mittened hands or regular hands. This is handy so you can have her TINY little alethiometer. I may glue this to one of the hands, as I lost it when the figure fell over 1 minute after putting her up.

Iorek - A polar bear in battle armor! This is a very cool figure. He comes with a removeable helmet and a stand so you can pose him half standing up. The problem is he has some sort of action feature. it's not really explained on the box, but I'm guessing you move the arms and he's supposed to swipe at enemies with his paws. But, it's articulated in such a way that you'll never be able to get him in a "walking" on all fours stance, which is a bit unfortunate.

There were quite a few other characters available, though their weren't a ton at TRU of the figures in general. I think they may have gotten 1 or 2 cases tops. There were characters I'll probably pass on like John Faa. However, there were no Scoresby's or Lord Asriels which I really want. I may get Scoresby with his airship (he come included) because the ship looks very cool.

Edited to add pics and say:

Hmmm... maybe Asriel and Scoresby aren't shipping yet. They had an endcap of toys (and my TRU never gets anything new first) so I'm betting they might have put them out early. It looked like they only had one case-worth of figures on display. There were 2XLyras 2XCoulters 1XSerafina, 1xTony Costa, 1X John Faa and 1xTartar Guard. So that might be a case there. According to the package there are two Tartar Guards - there's a variant. I can't tell the difference from the back of the box.

There were about 8 or so of Scorseby's ship, and a whole shelf of Ioreks and Ragnars.

Anyway, here are some pics.

000h6047.jpg

Here's a group shot that highlights Ms. Coulter. The smaller scale is nice because it really let's Iorek be huge.

000h74r5.jpg

Here's Lyra. Unfortunately she probably has the most grievous paint error of the bunch. It's around her hairline. I tried to fix it a bit, but I'm not very good at that sort of thing. THis was the best of the two TRU had, but I'll probably see If I can find another. This shows her normal hand with the Alethiometer (which I glued in place because I lost it three times in one night. It's like half the size of an M&M.)

000h88tf.jpg

I really like Sarafina. I think the likeness turned out well, the paint is great (love the green on the bow) and her robes look great.

000h9r4q.jpg

Here's Iorek and Lyra. You can actually get Iorek down quite a bit to almost four legged position. His neck is hinged to adjust to both positions. He also has a hinged jaw, which is cool. The right paw on mine has a tendency to pop off. Unlike the other figures, Lyra's legs are articulated to go to the side as well us forward and back. Which makes me think it's so she can sort of ride Iorek... but it doesn't work that well for display. But it'd be enough for kids.

I want the polor bears the most.

This will be my first collection with Polar Bears!!

I don't know much about these books or the movie, but a Nicole Kidman figure I gotta have! And everyone else looks awesome as well.

Shame about the limited movement, but they seem to be able to strike a pose ok.

I'm hoping the Ice Fortress Playset manages to make it out, but I believe at the moment it is either on hold or cancelled:

TGCFortress.jpg

Pic - another site

I was at my TRU, and had decided (after reading MWC's review of all the figures) that I wanted Lee Scoresby, because I like Sam Eliott.

and since Sam plays a cowboy all the time, I figured it'd be a great figure to use in dios, if the need ever arrived.

so, I found the Golden Compass display at my local TRU, and grabbed Lee, only to discover they were having a "Buy two, get one free" Sale, so I grabbed Lyra, and a Tartan Soldier as well.

the Tartan was the only disappointment, his arm doesn't stay on, and he has very limited articulation.

one of Lee's legs is hindered by his holster too, but still a good figure.

Lyra's got the best articulation, though.

• 3 weeks later...

i haven't seen the movie yet... does it resemble NARNIA? well i don't know maybe its just that the polar bear caught my attention... i am curious also regarding the toyline, i'm gonna look for reviews and more reviews as well as some info about this toyline...

• 2 weeks later...