My first original Transformer

Dark_Lord_Prime

My local comic shop also sells video games and consoles, among other things like DVDs and books.

One day, I was there to get my weekly comics, and noticed they had two first-generation GameBoys for $3 each, and I was suddenly struck with a Real Gears inspiration, so I bought 'em both. :D

My first step was to measure one of the GB's, then create a cardboard mock-up, so I can work out the transformation and positioning of parts. Next, I had to figure out what to use for various parts, such as legs and arms, etc. Bionicles to the rescue!

After some experimentation, I've decided my best bet for his legs are "beast-type" (hey, it worked for Dropkick!), as shown here:

DSCF0239.jpgDSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0241.jpgDSCF0242.jpg

His feet are what I originally created for my project to re-shell an Alt Tracks with a G1-ish Corvette Stingray, but I determined that using an actual Alt Tracks was gonna end up being far more trouble than it was worth, so I reset my sights on an extra Side Swipe. That project is one of many currently on back burners.

I may end up using some other Bionicle feet, though, as these seem a bit small.

Anyway...my original GameBoy mock-up was made with printer card-stock, but that's too flimsy for this, so I've started re-doing it with some thin cardboard, instead. I've used hot glue to "spot-weld" the green pieces in place inside the GB shell pieces, and it's turning out pretty good so far. I'm gonna have to fiddle with the placement of the green bits though, 'cause the bottom of the GB is ending up slightly out of alignment with the top half.

I have no idea how the mock-up ended up so much taller than the real GB case, since I measured and re-measured at least twice, but there you go. *shrug*

It looks like I can just shorten the top a little when I remake it with the cardboard, though, without affecting anything else.

DSCF0243.jpg

(continued in next post...)

(We can only include 5 pics per post?)

DSCF0244.jpgDSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0247.jpgDSCF0248.jpg

After I tweak the positioning on those parts a bit, I'll move on to mounting the middle of the shell on his thighs. Then it's on to working on his arms and head!

I'm planning to make one an Autobot and the other a Decepticon, and my current backstory idea involves them being brothers. They were two of a series, and a single Spark accidentally got split between them. I'm not sure yet what that means for their minds/personalities, other than their disparate faction allegiences are a direct result.

first I was all WTFerized... and all wtf is he talking about :D lols... then I was like OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH coooolllll!!!! :D :D :D

hehehh! Normally by that point I would have just left the post but itwas you so I knew it had to be something good :D

glad to see you back in action DLP. man that gameboy tf is going to be badass when you are done, cant wait to see you work your magic!

hrmmm.... ...

games eject!!

Heh.. funny you should say that. A couple guys over at Transtopia had the same idea, and now I'm thinking about making Game Pak minions for my bots.

Anybody got some old 1st gen Gameboy games I could get for cheap? (or even free? :D) Doesn't really matter if they work, since they'll be carved up and relieved of their game function; just so long as the casing is intact.

I'd check the selection at my comic shop, but I think they still want, like, $12 for a GB cartridge, which would just be silly, considering I paid $6 for the two GameBoys. :P

I may have something, but have you tryed garage sales?.. This time of year it would be hard though since there are not as many...

I picked up that same gameboy at a sale for $1 :P

I thought you'd like a progress report:

I've had to scrap the leg part of the mock-up, 'cause I didn't think to take into consideration the shape of the left side (the speaker corner), so I'm re-building that part and re-working the positioning of the legs.

I've also decided the parts of the case with the d-pad and buttons will be attached to the bots' forearms, 'cause putting them on his thighs just won't work. After that comes the hard part--building the internals of his chest and figuring out how to mount the arms and head, while accomodating the screen(s) and cartridge slot, so they can carry their minion-bots.

I say "screen(s)" 'cause I'm considering making them interchangable, so I can change what's displayed on them, but that'll come after the main bot stuff is worked out.