Who do we have FA versions for in ML

TomE

This image from the database got me thinking, what are all the heroes we have FA versions for, official or unofficial:

DSCN4109.jpg

I was thinking additionally we could consider as first appearance

Iron Fist

Sentry

Ghost Rider?

Moon Knight?

Silver Surfer?

Nick Fury

Hawkeye

Elektra

Dr. Strange

Vision

Who else?

Technically FA Mr. Fantastic and Human Torch.

Man-Thing, Thor and Deathlok, as well as Luke Cage-Power Man.

Toad applies, as does Sabretooth, Mystique, Destroyer, Omega-red, Mr. Sinister and Pyro

Spider-woman, Hercules and Captain Marvel also fit into a FA version as is, as do Silver Surfer, Howard the Duck and Beta-ray Bill.

We now have FA Captain America, Bucky, and Namor in the Hasbro line.

Adds up to quite a few.

Nick Fury wouldn't be first appearance though. He was ripped shirt howling commando before that SHIELD thing. And when he first did that he just wore a suit.

And Abomination could be added to that list.

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with some of the suggestions being thrown out here. I think if you're going to have a FA gallery, it shouldn't include characters whose FA was also their iconic look...

I.E. The majority of Arrow's list, as well as Green Goblin.

Why not include the FA looks that are also the classic look? I'm not looking for anything in particular, I just want to know if I wanted to have as large a FA display of heroes as I could, who could be in it.

Deathlok isn't FA. The original Deathlok had a flag on his chest as well as a few other design differences.

You are correct. Doc Strange also is not FA, as his cape is somewhat different in the collar, iirc.

I'm not entirely sure if I agree with some of the suggestions being thrown out here. I think if you're going to have a FA gallery, it shouldn't include characters whose FA was also their iconic look...

In Luke Cage's case, the comic that came with the figure was a reprint of the first issue, iirc--and was both his iconic look AND his first appearance, again, irrc.

The difficulty in this in in the sculpt interpretations.

FA Spiderman and Captain America look like 3D versions of their originating artist's drawings, but FA Hulk does not. Hulk looked a more Frankenstein-like and far less refined in the brow. The FA Thing is also very different from his first actual appearance.

A lot of them are First Appearance Interpretations, not actual depictions.

So iconic looks can apply if that's how they were first seen.

At least that's my opinion on it.

Okay i'm just after looking at my figure and this is what i think should be considered the FA

THESE ARE IN ORDER OF HOW I DISPLAY THEM

F4

FFC Impossible Man

FFML Namor

ML5 SILVER SURFER

MOLE MAN

GALACTUS

ML11 THING

WOLVERINE

SASQUATCH

FO WOLVERINE (S)

FO SABRETOOTH

OMEGA RED

HULK

ML9 HULK

SPIDER-MAN

ML10 SPIDER-MAN

VULTURE

SMC SANDMAN

ML13 GREEN GOBLIN

SMC KRAVEN

SMC SCORPION (METAL VERSION)

BOX SET RHINO

GHOST RIDER /BLADE

VENGEANGE

HOWARD THE DUCK

MAN-THING

WEREWOLF

DEMOGOBLIN

ZOMBIE

MEPHISTO

BLACKHEART

DRACULA

FRANKENSTIEN

X-MEN

ML3 MAGNETO

TOAD

MOJO

HAVOK

ML9 NIGHTCRAWLER

ML5 COLOSSUS

ML4 GAMBIT

BISHOP

AVENGERS

ML 14 IRON MAN

ML 9 WAR-MACHINE

BARON ZEMO

HML3 CAPTAIN AMERICA

ML4 WASP (PACK-IN)

HML2 GREEN QUICKSILVER (WELL ALMOST JUST NEED THE ARM BAND AND THAT IT)

HERCULES

BLACK PANTHER

VISION

MOON KNIGHT

JULIA CARPENTER SPIDER-MAN

SCOT LANG ANT-MAN

LUKE CAGE POWER MAN

IRON-FIST

THE ENTIRE YOUNG AVENGERS BOX SET

TASKMASTER

THOR (ML3 AND WAL*MART)

DAREDEVIL / PUNISHER

HML4 DAREDEVIL

FO PUNISHER

ML4 ELEKTRA

THEN AGAIN ONE COULD SAY THAT ALLL THE FIGURE ARE FA WHEN YOU CONSIDER THAT MOST ARE DIFFERENT VERSION OF A COSTUME. FOR EXAMPLE FO IRON-MAN COULD BE CONSIDERED THE FA OF THE MODULAR ARMOR.

I think First Appearance should really only be used in reference to characters who’s initial appearances are different then what they are today, but also aren’t their iconic look. For example: Daredevil originally appeared in his questionable bright yellow outfit, but his definitive look is inarguably his vibrant red second costume. So when Yellow Daredevil is released, this warrants the title of First Appearance Daredevil. However, the first appearance of the Green Goblin may drastically resemble that of the one included in the Legends “Bring on the Bad Guys” line…but it’s also the Green Goblins default look. When one thinks of Norman Osborne, they picture that costume. I don’t think that’s worthy of a specified First Appearance title as much as it’s just the Green Goblin in general and doesn’t need any more elaboration.

First Appearance Punisher from the Face Off Two-Pack is arguably not all that different from his definitive look. Described he’s still essentially the punisher with the black costume, white gloved and booted limbs, and skull emblazoned chest. For all intensive purposes, that is the symbolic Punisher when illustrated in ones mind. So why is it actually a First Appearance? Because it’s done in the style of John Romita Sr. in his first initial appearance in Amazing Spider-Man 129. A First Appearance figure has to also be a homage to the artist that initially drew the character. You can dramatically change the look of a character by making it stylized, hence making it a first appearance, even if technically the costume isn’t any different at all. A character can be heavier, more muscular, bear a defining feature, carry first appearance specific accessories, and so forth.

Trivia: And by the way, one could argue that the Marvel Legends Green Goblin isn’t a First Appearance anyway as he’s included with his bat glider and pumpkin bombs whereas in his debut he rode a never reappearing broom-like rocket and is never seen with his trademark pumpkins until his second appearance.

it really depends on how you count it. if your just going by how the character looked, a lot of them could be in there.

here's the ones off the top of my head that actually say "first appearance":

daredevil (2)

spider-man (2)

hulk

wolverine

sabretooth

thing

captain america

iron man

quicksilver

edit: okay, i had to bring this up. the gray armor for iron man only lasted for one issue. just one. he wore it in tales of suspense 39, and in t.o.s. 40, he debuted with his golden armor with the skirt (jack kirby is really starting to look weird as i get into marvel more), yet for some reason, everyone defines his gray clunker as iconic because he wore it in his first appearance. unless i see some gold on the one in the movie, im gonna bring this back up.

In Luke Cage's case, the comic that came with the figure was a reprint of the first issue, iirc--and was both his iconic look AND his first appearance, again, irrc.

The difficulty in this in in the sculpt interpretations.

FA Spiderman and Captain America look like 3D versions of their originating artist's drawings, but FA Hulk does not. Hulk looked a more Frankenstein-like and far less refined in the brow. The FA Thing is also very different from his first actual appearance.

A lot of them are First Appearance Interpretations, not actual depictions.

So iconic looks can apply if that's how they were first seen.

At least that's my opinion on it.

I think we can make an exception for Luke Cage, because even though his FA was indeed his iconic look, he has changed so much since then, opposed to others on your list such as Spider-woman or Hercules. Their FA has always been their only appearance, if you get my drift.

I'm not entirely sure where your remark about FA Hulk came from, but you do make a good point about the importance of interpretations. I totally agree that most, if not all, sculpts are interpretations and not actual depictions. I just think that we should distinguish between FA and only look.

I'm not entirely sure where your remark about FA Hulk came from, but you do make a good point about the importance of interpretations.

Take a look at the original story for the Hulk--the very first issue--and then look at the toy.

The sculpt is far more defined on the toy that the drawn version is--plus, the original appearance of the Hulk had a tattered shirt and quite a different face. The "FA Hulk" we have is an interpretation from later versions of the original appearance--notably a hybrid of the John Byrne version in the Marvel Universe Handbook and Todd McFarlane's version from his short run on the Hulk( and likely others....).

Also, the FA Thing is based off a design from Art Adams, not Kirby, and there's a world of difference between the two renditions. FA Thing bears no resemblance at all to its original drawn version.

I'm not entirely sure where your remark about FA Hulk came from, but you do make a good point about the importance of interpretations.

Take a look at the original story for the Hulk--the very first issue--and then look at the toy.

The sculpt is far more defined on the toy that the drawn version is--plus, the original appearance of the Hulk had a tattered shirt and quite a different face. The "FA Hulk" we have is an interpretation from later versions of the original appearance--notably a hybrid of the John Byrne version in the Marvel Universe Handbook and Todd McFarlane's version from his short run on the Hulk( and likely others....).

Also, the FA Thing is based off a design from Art Adams, not Kirby, and there's a world of difference between the two renditions. FA Thing bears no resemblance at all to its original drawn version.

Which is why I'm perfectly willing to have figures that are just in the right costume be in my FA display. Some of the official FA figures are close in style, but not all.

No, I completely understood what you said about FA Hulk the first time. I just don't know the relevance of it to everything else said so far in this topic. I understand what you've been saying about FA Hulk; I just have no idea how that is a response to my criticism of some of your choices. Hulk was never mentioned at all in any of my posts. I just thought it was awkward that Spider-woman and Hercules, among others, made it into your list.

That being said... You've obviously put a lot of thought and research into your comments. I really like reading your posts. Really. :)

things have become complicated. lol. if i were you, i'll just stick with the official FA MLs... by official, i mean, those which the manufacturers said was their FA version.. that would be cool, coz you're playing by their standard.. not yours.. that's only my opinion.. you decide what you think is best for your display..

Heh, it all just boils down to a headache when ya think about it........and I have --spurred on by this ferslugginger thread.

I like the suggestion of just abiding by what the manufacturers call the "first appearance" figures and leave it at that........even though some of their choices just don't fit..........and others do, and.........

Where's the Excedrin?