TO OPEN or NOT TO OPEN your MLs

pvbvillegas

TO OPEN or NOT TO OPEN your MLs  

40 members have voted

1. 1. do you take your MLs out of the packaging or not? and why?

• Yes
    • No.

I don't open them. 2 reasons. number 1 the toybiz ones are so loose (too many articulations) that they won't stay up so theres no point In opening them. Number 2 the $$ value Is much higher for packaged figures than loose ones,check It out online.

I don't open them. 2 reasons. number 1 the toybiz ones are so loose (too many articulations) that they won't stay up so theres no point In opening them. Number 2 the $$ value Is much higher for packaged figures than loose ones,check It out online.

i remember buying a certain ML which is on a buy 1 take 1 basis. the take 1 happened to be deathlok. i opened it and he can't move both of his arms and his right thigh. i forced them to move so that i can make him strike a pose. and then, the arms broke. so did the right thigh. now, i have an amputated deathlok.

my bro bought this longshot fig, and straight right off the packaging, he can't stand. same thing for his mystique fig. and his green goblin ML cant stand on his glider, no matter what effort you give.

these are the reasons why i don't open my MLs. but i really want my avengers on my shelves. i have dreams about them posed on my shelves. dut i'm afraid i'd be disappointed if i ever encounter even one of those VERY LOOSE or VERY TIGHT joints that hinder poseability or even just making the fig stand.

as for the value of the packaged figures, am i right that the people who don't open their figs coz they would lose their value are people who plan to sell their figs in the future?

i remember buying a certain ML which is on a buy 1 take 1 basis. the take 1 happened to be deathlok. i opened it and he can't move both of his arms and his right thigh. i forced them to move so that i can make him strike a pose. and then, the arms broke. so did the right thigh. now, i have an amputated deathlok.

my bro bought this longshot fig, and straight right off the packaging, he can't stand. same thing for his mystique fig. and his green goblin ML cant stand on his glider, no matter what effort you give.

these are the reasons why i don't open my MLs. but i really want my avengers on my shelves. i have dreams about them posed on my shelves. dut i'm afraid i'd be disappointed if i ever encounter even one of those VERY LOOSE or VERY TIGHT joints that hinder poseability or even just making the fig stand.

as for the value of the packaged figures, am i right that the people who don't open their figs coz they would lose their value are people who plan to sell their figs in the future?

Your example and your brothers example say It all. Don't risk busting another fig leave them carded. As for reselling well I believe that at some point everybody will sell there collection. Can you see youself still owning your figures when your 65??

Yes of course! What good are they in the package??!

Take them out and enjoy them!

Your example and your brothers example say It all. Don't risk busting another fig leave them carded. As for reselling well I believe that at some point everybody will sell there collection. Can you see youself still owning your figures when your 65??

you made me laugh with that last question. i don't know if i'll sell them, if i open them, maybe when i'm 65 they'll just be in a box. just like my mcfarlanes collection now.

you made me laugh with that last question. i don't know if i'll sell them, if i open them, maybe when i'm 65 they'll just be in a box. just like my mcfarlanes collection now.

you gonna keep them for the gran kids , lol!!

i don't see a point in not opening them. thats like buying a vintage corvette and leaving it in your garage. yeah you can brag that you have it, but what good was it ever to you?

if you collect them just for value, sell them now, cause by the time your sick of them and wanna sell them everyone else will be too and the price will plumett. they may be something someday to your kids (maybe, do you like what your folks like?) but they are just gonna open them and enjoy them or throw them in another box for their kids.

i have over 250 (6, 7 and 12 inch scale) figures, all open and out displayed on a bookcase in my studio. if i bump the shelf someone might fall but they stand just fine otherwise. they don't fall and break. and they are positioned on tiers of boxes, empty cassette cases and pieces of packing styrofoam.

i love my bookcase of figures, it impresses everyone who sees it even if they don't like comics and stuff.

yeah, i don't quite enjoy them by just looking at them packaged. by the way, have you ever encountered any horrible things when you opened any of your MLs?

i don't see a point in not opening them. thats like buying a vintage corvette and leaving it in your garage. yeah you can brag that you have it, but what good was it ever to you?

if you collect them just for value, sell them now, cause by the time your sick of them and wanna sell them everyone else will be too and the price will plumett. they may be something someday to your kids (maybe, do you like what your folks like?) but they are just gonna open them and enjoy them or throw them in another box for their kids.

i have over 250 (6, 7 and 12 inch scale) figures, all open and out displayed on a bookcase in my studio. if i bump the shelf someone might fall but they stand just fine otherwise. they don't fall and break. and they are positioned on tiers of boxes, empty cassette cases and pieces of packing styrofoam.

i love my bookcase of figures, it impresses everyone who sees it even if they don't like comics and stuff.

aaaaahhhhh! dude, you said every word i wanted to hear! i don't collect them for value.. i've never been business-minded. lol. it's just that i'm really afraid to encounter those horrible things that happened to me and my bro and the others. by the way, you mean, none of those horrible things happened to any of your MLs, ever?

you gonna keep them for the gran kids , lol!!

yeah! i'll force them in to the marvel universe. haha. like they're not gonna get any new toys, only MLs from my time!

sorry to hear bout your broken figs, but the next time you take them out, if you know the joint is stuck, just use the warm water/blow dryer trick. i say take the figs out!

you mean i can use hot water to loosen tight joints? we don't have a blow dryer.. i guess warm water is my only option in case i encounter a fig with immovable joints again.

for stuck joints, you could also toss em in the freezer for about an hour so the plastic doesnt break when you try to move it.

i said open, because toys are meant to be enjoyed, packaging is a waste of space, and they are playthings.

I don't open them. 2 reasons. number 1 the toybiz ones are so loose (too many articulations) that they won't stay up so theres no point In opening them. Number 2 the $ value Is much higher for packaged figures than loose ones,check It out online.

thats baloney. who cares about value? and loose joints can be fixed with some superglue treatment or a stand, while loose joints can be either warmed or chilled.

your problem with this story is you named just about every bad ML to date when it comes to posing or standing (aside from green goblin, you just got a bad one im afraid)

deathlok has loose joints or very tight joints for the most part, i rarely hear about a good one

mystique and longshot both have very rubbery legs

plus the way they were packaged helped distort their legs so they stand bow-legged

open them dude

you know why the 1977 star wars figures are worth so much? b/c they were produced in such small numbers

ML are produced in giant numbers, like some one said, if you are going to cash in on them you should do it now

dont get into a toy line just to keep them in the box just to sell 20 years from now, get into a toy line because you love the characters and want to re-create scenes from your favorite comics, or do a cross over fight thats never happened, or do a dream team-up with characters you never thought you would see together

MLs in the box is ##$%$#ed, open them all now or give me your address and ill come do it for you

I definitely open my figures.

These are toys, they are meant to be shipped to the store in packages to protect them, showcase the accessories, then you take them home and open them. You create teams, dioramas, battle scenes, etc.

For example, as an X-Men collector, years ago Gambit was with the X-Men and the White Queen was a villian, now I have them switched. I can do that because they are open. You can create poses. Let's be honest, Spider-man in a package is ok, but if you take him and gave him webbing and allowed him to hang upside down in his "spidy pose" wouldn't that be cool???!!!! Can't do that in a package.

Seriously, when you look at a carded figure, I should say the size of a carded figure, how many open figures can you place in the same space? Quite a few more. Enjoy the action figures/toys/collectibles whatever you may call them for what they truly are: a toy!!!

This allows me to share my passion with my kids, display a lot of toys to show off my collection, and easily change arrangements as needed.

To see what I mean, here is the direct link to my marvelous collection posted on this site:

http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=23&itemid=11170

For those of you that got "bad figures with loose joints", it happens, I have a few, but I think it is an exception not the rule.

As far as value, these things are produced in such mass quantities, except for variants, they won't be worth too much. Toys from the early 1980's and before are worth more because the huge collector craze was not as rampant as it is now, plus some toys were produced in lesser quantities.

Each collector has to do what they feel is best for themselves, my personal opinion is open and enjoy the figures!!!

Eric

yeah, i don't quite enjoy them by just looking at them packaged. by the way, have you ever encountered any horrible things when you opened any of your MLs?

Not really. The most horrible thing is the length of time it takes to remove all of those damn metal tie thingys! I hate em!!! They are such a nuisance!

But yeah, if there really was something messed up with your ML, it would still be messed up whether or not it is in the package. So theres no difference.

If I was concerned with investments, I'd buy real estate, or stocks.

Stocks is the way to go ... I mean... the housing industry doesn't seem to be blooming in most parts of the United States or anything... Given that y'all are there of course!

I voted yes but I'd vote both if I could :P In the TB day I'd started to buy stuff by the case and keep a set of each misb and open :) Hasbro now though I duno... I'd just say open them... They are not that great anyways...

Now... I collect misb however I don't do it for any sort of profit , I do it simply because I like having it that way :D Now what really Erks me is guys like you guys who scream bloody murder on opening but then when it comes to the variants and chases you keep the MISB! One word for that .... CHUMP!! :P

When I first started collecting the Toy Biz Marvel Legends line, I did open my figures....sorry to say that now.

But soon afterwards I started to keep them all sealed. Now I will not open another figure, whatsoever.

I do buy a select second figure to open, but just to build the BAF charactor, I give these opened figures to my daughter to play with.

She has every figure that has a BAF part.

I do not collect for the value of the figure, but I do have some very valuable figures. e.g. black dawn psylocke, silver shirt luke cage, flying annihilus, mole monster BAF I keep them sealed for the protection of the figure. I enjoy looking at my figures , even through their protective plastic clamshells.

I have every figure except for hydra soilder variant, black marvel girl, backwards black marvel girl and blue wasp. I did bid on the blue wasp last week on ebay, I was the 1st bidder to place a bid on it, but was at work when auction ended, and was outbidded.

I only had to opportunity to hear about loose joints, or hard to pose joints as they break in your hands when you first take the figures out of their packs to pose them.

Then as the dust from the day settles on them, and oh, it will. Dont forget about the dirt, sweat and oily grime from your hands as you touch your prize figures when you pose them over and over again. Especially those with runny noses and pets.

Then as they tumble to the harsh floor below from the top shelf of a 5 foot bookcase - ouch, thats going to leave a mark !!!

Then as you and your buddies, slam them together in battle over and over again, uh oh better call maaco.

and all those early figures with all those twist ties as mention in the post above.

I perfer to keep my figures sealed, that is my choice, if you want to open your figures, great, by all means, open them and enjoy.

mls079.jpg

mls070.jpg

mls077.jpg

MAKE MINE MARVEL

briseis_v.jpg

I open them, I just think they display better this way.....I don't want my house to look like a store (though it does for others).