Brawl vs. Devestator

king kahn

okay the ONE thing that i kept glitching over in the new movie is the name of a certain transforming decepticon.

on all the toys and what not he is called brawl

in the movie and certain special features he is refered to as devestator.

i was HOPING they would have changed the reference to his name in the movie to brawl but alas i ahve founf that an easily fixed mistake did not happen for the recent dvd/hddvd release.

does this confusion annoy anyone else? i just think it is a shaame since if they ever DO make the REAL devestator in a movie they will need to now change his name.

besides that i'd like to know how a glaring mistake like this happened?!?!? i know things change in production, hell blackout's name changed numerous times but they still managed to get THAT one right.

I heard it was said "continuity issues" was the reason for the name change.

As for use? Well, I have both versions, though I hate the deluxe one. Only reason I kept him was because I lost hte packaging.

Given that, I'm just calling the deluxe "Brawl" and the leader "Devastator". Makes it easier to use multiple versions of a character at the same time.

I heard a while back that the fact that Brawl is Devastator in the movie is that it simply is a movie mistake. I know you think that is impossible but somethings do get passed up. It was supposed to be changed in the final cut but somehow it got left it. Thats why all the toys are marked Brawl and not Devastator, it was meant to be fixed but it wasn't. Also, I don't think this will make the character Devastator have a different name in future movies. How many people other than us are going to notice the names or really care. I think the real Devastator having his name will more than make up for this mistake.

I heard a while back that the fact that Brawl is Devastator in the movie is that it simply is a movie mistake. I know you think that is impossible but somethings do get passed up. It was supposed to be changed in the final cut but somehow it got left it. Thats why all the toys are marked Brawl and not Devastator, it was meant to be fixed but it wasn't. Also, I don't think this will make the character Devastator have a different name in future movies. How many people other than us are going to notice the names or really care. I think the real Devastator having his name will more than make up for this mistake.

actually that is the problem i think only US will understand the difference. the majority of the public would prob think...hey wasnt there already a devestator?

yeah i know it was a movie flub up but you'd think that they'd have fixed it for the dvd release since it wasnt that hard to fix. perhaps they'll fix it when the re-release it in about 1 year....cause you know they will do it AT LEAST 1 time before the sequel and then another time right before the sequel or along with the release of the sequel on dvd

Either way it was only said once in the movie and it wasn't even said it was in sub-titles. I know the most known characters from this movie are Bumblebee and Optimus Prime. ....the other characters are just background characters when it comes to Joe MovieGoer. It probably sounds like I'm saying the american movie public is naive to things like this but I don't think it would matter. I understand that people want to be anal about things like this but I think people would rather Devastator be called Devastator. Here is the explanation from Wikipedia....

Devastator

There is some controversy over his name: the toys list the figure as Brawl, but in the film itself, and the official movie novelization, his name is Devastator. He also refers to himself as Devastator in the movie subtitles. According to Roberto Orci, one of the writers of the movie, and Hasbro's Transformers team, "Devastator" is the mistake, and that the character is supposed to be named Brawl. The official names of all the Transformers seen in the film were confirmed in August of 2006, nearly a year before the film's North American release date. However, director Michael Bay was not fully aware of these names and sometimes referred to some of them by their "on-set names". (He said in an interview, that he often referred to Frenzy as "Soundbyte".) Thus, on-set he would refer to the tank Decepticon as "Devastator". Somehow, the name made its way into the final cut of the film. Director Michael Bay favored the name Devastator, as he felt that it sounded more threatening than Brawl. [2] The early leaked script Prime Directives had him named Devastator, as does the Titan U.K. magazine. Concept art for the character named him "Demolishor".

Its a simple mistake....and someone like Bay is probably to arrogant to fix it.

G1 Brawl- big green tank with a solid face

movie Brawl- big green tank with a solid face

Bay calls him Devastator just to throw around his childish "MY WAY!!!" attitude. Bay makes arrogant people look REASONABLE. I hope to hell the guy loses everythign he has one day and has to live in the streets. Might humble him up. Kind of like that old tale "The Whipping Boy" or the movie Cabin Boy in which some priveleged snot has to learn the real world.

he's brawl to me. he resembles g1 brawl and that is what the product line refers to him as. to me devestator is a combination of the constructicons. it would've been fine if his alt mode was some kind of construction equip like a bulldozer and they called him devestator, at least that would've been a step in the right direction. either way its really not that big'o deal

I hope they do the REAL Devastator in the movie, but that might confuse everyone even MORE. I don't really care WHICH name they used, as long as they just stuck w/ one and used it. Demolishor, Brawl, Devastator... who cares, really, IMO...

does this confusion annoy anyone else? i just think it is a shaame since if they ever DO make the REAL devestator in a movie they will need to now change his name.

no they wouldn't. they could just call him devestator and leave it at that. this isn't high art, its transformers, nobody is analyzing it that much to where it will cause any confusion at all. heck, by the time the second movie is released, most of the audience that saw the first will have forgotten the names of the characters from the first movie anyways. does everything have to be an issue? let it go.

funny enough, the first leaked photos of the fullsize Brawl M1... had a Decal on it of a Bulldog chewing on a robot and " Bone Crusher" enscribed on it.

photobucket is down.. but i will try and find it

* seems all those photos have been removed by request from hasbro*

heres a quote from another site, that shows just how many names they were

playing with before they became official

Here’s another tidbit from a source, about Vortex – a transforming helicopter: “When the chopper lands in the film, it will have a CG cockpit that will have an entire crew inside of it. It will flicker out revealing that the chopper is, in fact empty - and "Vortex" will transform for the first time.”