Maybe paint washes aren't such a great idea after all

UNDosage

I just got ML6 Phoenix MOC in the mail today, and being the opener that I am, I... opened it. However, I was extremely frustrated when I realized it would be extremely difficult to move Phoenix without breaking her very thin limbs due to very thick paint washes.

The irony of this is that just recently I said in another thread that I am disappointed by the severe lack of paint washes in HML.

I guess an acceptable middle ground never really existed, huh?

How about a picture to show us what you're talking about. Some of the Toybiz ML figures had a little paint gunking up joints, but I'm not sure that was from the wash. And usually it's easy enough to take care of that problem with a thin nail and a steady hand.

How about a picture to show us what you're talking about. Some of the Toybiz ML figures had a little paint gunking up joints, but I'm not sure that was from the wash. And usually it's easy enough to take care of that problem with a thin nail and a steady hand.

Unfortunately I can't take pictures right now, but yes, the joints are very gunky... More than most of the Toybiz ML I have. I don't know if the older figures were like that (the only other older figures I have are ML2 Dr. Doom and ML4 Elektra, and I have no problems with them), so I'm surprised by Phoenix.

I might try the nail, but any idea if the freezer trick has any credibility?

I've had the same type of problem with older Toybiz M.L.'s that have been mint in a sealed package for a couple years. The joints have a tendency to lock up, expecially IF they haven't been stored at a consistant tempreture. Run a sink full of scalding hot water and soak her in that for about a minute. The heat will cause the plastic to expand and loosen the tight joints. Then slowly and gently apply pressure to get them to move. That usually does the trick.

Just like my Face off Caps head. He's stiff and i can't get his head to move up. I tried the water thing and it still doesnt work. He's just looking down the whole time and looks sad.

Er, well, that's just kind of how the head is. I forgot which sculpt he's based on (I think it's Wonder-Man), but everyone who uses it is stuck looking down like a hunchback. It pretty much ruins what's otherwise the definitive Captain America when all he can do is stare menacingly at the floor.

Just like my Face off Caps head. He's stiff and i can't get his head to move up. I tried the water thing and it still doesnt work. He's just looking down the whole time and looks sad.

Er, well, that's just kind of how the head is. I forgot which sculpt he's based on (I think it's Wonder-Man), but everyone who uses it is stuck looking down like a hunchback. It pretty much ruins what's otherwise the definitive Captain America when all he can do is stare menacingly at the floor.

He's probably staring at the floor all sad because he got killed off.

it was the ultimate cap figure. he had an ungodly hunch, and i think they shoulda resculpted it.

Unfortunately I can't take pictures right now, but yes, the joints are very gunky... More than most of the Toybiz ML I have. I don't know if the older figures were like that (the only other older figures I have are ML2 Dr. Doom and ML4 Elektra, and I have no problems with them), so I'm surprised by Phoenix.

I might try the nail, but any idea if the freezer trick has any credibility?

its probably due to the fact that that figure came out 2 or 3 years ago,you got it MOC so it hasnt been played with, thus the paint has sat in the same spot for year, it just stuck it place, has nothing to do with paint washes

Argh. I have to arch my face-off Cap's back just so that he is able to look forward, but it makes him look like he's constantly screaming out a battle cry.

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarta!!!

My Face-Off Cap can do a lot of things, face left, face right, look down, look straight forward, but not upward. He might get bird poo in his eyes!

Argh. I have to arch my face-off Cap's back just so that he is able to look forward, but it makes him look like he's constantly screaming out a battle cry.

Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarta!!!

spooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonn!!