your turn

TomTom

okay, since this forum is a breeding gorund for bitching about the way ML's are, i decided to see what people would do.

rules:

1. must only apply to sculpt, pait, articulation, and accessories. those are what toys are basically broken down to.

2. no "give it back to toybiz" that's not happening.

3. must actually be valid points. no "hasbro is teh suxxx".

for me i'd say:

take the knee joints from the F4 and spider-man three lines (5"). they are faily well hidden, and have almost as much range as the current double joints.

make the skin tones gloss-less. human skin isnt shiny when dry. no sex jokes on that last one.

mold more pieces in colored plastic. yeah, this is the main source of controversy behind POA, and the truth is, toybiz molded stuff in colored plastic. everyone does.

give us back bases and stop the BAF. yeah, giant man and galactus were great and sentinel kick ass, but they are running out of "big" characters to put in. it would be much easier to include bases.

so what would you change?

I know giving it back to Toybiz isn't an option, but how about just making the figures the way Toybiz did?

More articulation, no crappy Sigma 6 elbow joints and single jointed knees. Almost all figures should also have ball jointed hips, not those piece of crap upper leg joints like on Namor that severely inhibit movement.

More realistic paint apps and washes on every figure.

Less cartooney face sculpts and no super bright colors. Like on Doom, the figure is great, but he still just seems a little too bright. A slightly more worn look to the greens would've made it look more real.

As for nixing the BAFs in favor of bases, I'm of mixed feelings on this. I think some of the smaller BAFs have been less than impressive and I'm not thrilled with having to buy movie figures and frequent new versions of characters I already have more than I want of, ESPECIALLY Hulk, but for the most part I've liked the BAFs enough to buy the crappy figures. With Ronan and Annhilus in particular I think the BAF figures have been some of Hasbro's better work, even if they are too small.

how about instead of taking out the BAF and giving us bases, they get rid of both

and give us a marvel legend for 8$

id rather pay for just a character i want, than pay an extra 2$ for a piece to a character i dont want

also, in regards to skin color, make it less pale, there is no reason to give us skin that is next to white (im looking at you quicksilver)

articulation, the sigma 6 has to stop, it works on sigma 6 characters and i enjoy those figures

but marvel legends got huge for having double jointed knees,elbows, and ball jointed hips

i dont care about toe and finger articulation,but wrist and ankle is necessary, i dont really even miss side to side ankle,but they all need up and down ankle articulation

How about just making the figures the way Toybiz did?

That's exactly what I was wanting and hoping for out of Hasbro. Most of us have invested a lot of time, money and energy in building our M.L. collections. Which we would have continued to do IF they hadn't made radical changes to the line. It's like when they tried to change Coke into New Coke and some of us remember how well that worked out. :rolleyes:

At this point the changes I would personally make would be.

A. Spend less of the budget on packaging and put it back into quaility paint apps, sculps and articulation.

B. Learn to make generic sculpts that can be easily retooled into varient charecters without MAJOR sculpted on details from the previous use of the mold showing threw.

C. Ensure that all sculpts are compatable and in scale with previous releases from Hasbro and Toybiz

D. Drop the BAF concept from the main ML line and only use it in charecter specific themed waves. Especially IF they're going to do movie, repeat or alternate universe figures of charecters.

E. Substittute accesories or clear flight stands instead of the BAF in the main ML line.

I want flight stands! Even if it does put big gaping holes in their backs (which is probably why Hasbro took them out) it's so worth it.

Let me start off by saying this ...

I second that! It pissed me off the odd time when TOYBIZ didn't do it let alone hasbro :D Some characters you just HAVE to display in some kind of leaping or jumping of flying pose! I think they did that with a few wolverines & x23 as well... I forget what else but I KNOW they did it !!!!

I want flight stands! Even if it does put big gaping holes in their backs (which is probably why Hasbro took them out) it's so worth it.

they dont even need that. they can just have something that grips around their waist/torso.

another thing id change is the ball jointed hips. stop putting the peg in at an angle and go back to horizontal.

First and the most imoprtant thing to me (appears to be common among almost everyone) is they need to bring back the paint wash. It is fairly easy to give it a wash but we should not have to due it after purchasing. i think if they brought the wash back it will also make them look not so kiddy and cheap. i wash mine myself and they look alot better.

next would be bring back the double joint elbow, this is very important because the single joint restricks the bend to less than a 90 degree bend, unacceptable.

also the lateral swivel foot movement, if thats what it is called. i need feet to move this way so when there legs are spread they can still stand with stability. Mr fantastic from ff4 wave should have had this but did not.

i don't care about build-a-figures, bases or fight stands. i have enough fight stans for a while. i would like to see a hole in the backs so i can use my fight stans.

i am good with $10 a figure but by all means drop build a figure and make cheaper packaging if it means we get a better figure for the same price. let's face it the price is not ever going to drop no matter what.

Paint washes, please. The paint and sculpt was my major draw to ML in the first place, as they were the highest quality figures I could get for such an affordable price.

The price has now hiked up to $10 (that's +$4 in my area), and now I feel like I'm getting less bang for more buck.

So again, I would really like to see ToyBiz's paintwashes return. I would also like a detailed base instead of the subpar BAFs that we are getting (subpar in my opinion, at least). The ToyBiz BAFs and Blob were great, but they don't need to be done every single wave.

Short answer:

I would really like to see paint washes and pack-ins make a come back.

Articulation is the key to me. It made the line famous. It would be like if Burger King Dropped the Whopper, or if Ford's Mustang got turned into a sedan. To me, ML have become big Star Wars figures, and GI Joe is stealing all our knee joints. Stick with what works, and don't change horses mid-stream and all that.

I'm sorry but double joints was a standard for this line and still should be. This 40% bend on most figures really sucks, if there's going to be a joint, make it a good one.

I REALLY miss the toe-articulation and ankle pivot. They really made for more dynamic possing.

Then after dealing with the articulation, the paint washes need to come back. I know they sometimes "locked the Joints" of the TB ML's, but the ends was worth the means. They just looked better.

I really like the BAF's, and I do collect the whole line, but I could see going for new ideas. I'd like to see the stand idea AND the BAF idea combined. Build A Display. BAD for short. Interlock a number of figure stands to create a Danger room, or an Avengers Mansion facade. But the BAF should never be abandoned, just alternate ideas to the most appropriate pack-in available.

I do miss the comics, I already owned them all, but I though that made the children read about the character they bought and helped create comic sales, making kids buy more figures. Cycling sales.

But what do I know.

1. Articulation is the key point. I think eveyone is very happy and satisfied with the generic Bullseye articulation. Just use that on all characters henceforth. The only exception being large characters like hulk having only single hinge elbows. That's ok.

2. Paint washes. These really help the look.

3. Less toy-like faces.

4. BAFs are great. I do try to collect a line to build a figure. However I think that the BAFs need to start being very large figures again. Annihilus is great but we should really feel like we are getting something very large scale since we have had to pay more and get less. Less Articulation, paint wash and no comic we can at least get a Galactus sized BAF.

ex. Watcher, Goliath, Ultimo, etc.

5. Include an entire team in their contempory outfits. Ex. Byrne Era FF. or Jim Lee X-men sets.

6. Bring back large Box Sets.

1. Articulation is the key point. I think eveyone is very happy and satisfied with the generic Bullseye articulation. Just use that on all characters henceforth. The only exception being large characters like hulk having only single hinge elbows. That's ok.

ive never been a fan of individual finger articulation

it can let you do a slap hand or "hes trying to clap with one hand" hand

i like pre molded hands if they are in poses that make sense

Firstly, create about 5-8 different body types:

1. Teenage Boy

2. Teenage Girl

3. slender adult male (think Captain Marvel)

4. slender adult female (Spider-Woman)

5. Bigger guys (FO Cap, Black Panther)

6. Bigger girls (Electra body)

ok, for other special characters, simply make an original body. She Hulk, Hulk, and Hercules, for example. but with these, make sure to keep just as much articulation with them as the main body types. AND NO Sigma Elbows ALL the time. Dr. Doom? thats fine. Namor? ok. She Hulk? not cool.

next, flight stands for characters that fly. ALSO, ALL figures should just have flight stand holes in their backs just in case.

then, weapons and appropriate accessories. WHY didn't either goblin in the SMT line come with Pumpkin bombs?? why didn't Daddy goblin come with his trident?? and why didn't Wonderman come with sundglasses? things like this.

Paint is ok with me. they can continue as is with that for all I care. I have always had to fix paint anyway, I am just used to it.

We don't HAVE to have a BAF EVERY wave, you know? sometimes just including some kickass packins is just fine (thunderfrog, Forbush man, Wildchild still need to see the light of day).

Army Builders are fun. Its the new BAF for myself personally.

Alternate hands and maskless heads. Also, cool little power things are fun, too (like what you did with Marvel Girl!)

When you make a Squirrel Girl, I trust that she will include a FEW squirrels AND a cardboard cut out of Flat man? good.

offer some weapons online. some of the things that you and toy biz missed (like Wonderman glasses, power sword for Psylocke, that damned trident, etc)

boxed sets, god damn you! give us some dang ol' moliods and stop teasing us with Hellfire club members without getting to the guards!

HTS is a WONDERFUL place for things. make some things you don't think would sale in stores, and post it up there. vehicles, etc.

bring back the dios made out of the cards. come on. that was free.

Make some Sentinels and put them in the Icons line. while your at it, that is a great place for Stature and some other tall characters. whats better? Sentinels vary in height and so does Stature, so they would both fit in TWO lines, Icons and ML.

the Walmart 2 packs are awesome. I want to see MANY more of those, but expand away from just X-related characters, too. and throw in some villains.

if you do a pack in series instead of a BAF series, make sure that the army builder character comes with an army buildable pack in (IE Doombot with Wild sentinel or Moloid or something. personally, i think Moloid would be the way to go with that one, but that's just me)

Themed waves are just fine with me. keep them coming.

ok, I think thats all I got. :)

i agree with you on generic bodies, but instead of spider-woman (she has a diaper!), use kitty pryde. and start using the black widow body more often. as for pack-ins, they could use spider-ham like characters.

i agree with you on generic bodies, but instead of spider-woman (she has a diaper!), use kitty pryde. and start using the black widow body more often. as for pack-ins, they could use spider-ham like characters.

Id make the build a figures out of better plastic. I broke the blob assembling it.

Id make the build a figures out of better plastic. I broke the blob assembling it.

whoa! which part of the blob broke? let me know, i haven't put him together yet. thanks,and sorry bout that, can you maybe get that part replaced?

whoa! which part of the blob broke? let me know, i haven't put him together yet. thanks,and sorry bout that, can you maybe get that part replaced?

im willing to be hasbro would replace it