Marvel Unveils New Captain America

Scott

shadowboy I love #4 I wish marvels looked like that , I hope they add in the white around the V there! The white looks so much better with the V chest rather than the blue or grey or whatever the heck they were using!

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the new look, I think things need to change with time. And I really like Steve, but we will have to wait and see if/when he does return.

I would like the mantle to go to either Nick Fury...

"At the end of World War II in Europe, Fury was severely injured by a landmine in France, and was found and healed by a Berthold Sternberg, who used him as a test subject for his Infinity Formula."

Or Cable...

"It is thought possible that Cable could have predicted the death of Captain America and this may be the reason that he exits from the Civil War. In most recent X-Men booksand since issue #188, he has been wearing a Captain America shield or emblem on his right shoulder. This is similar to his first stint as an X-Man, when Cyclops died; Cable, at that time, wore Cyclops’ visor around his neck. Cable’s pleading with Captain America before Civil War could be interpreted as him futilely trying to prevent an "inevitable future", a constant theme in Cable storylines."

That is funny!!!

Gah, I've never liked Ross, and this is just another reason not to. I'm also mildly ticked they killed Cap in the first place, but I suppose if he was going to continue to be co-opted for ham-fisted political prattle, he's probably better off.

In retrospect, I think you're right. I was annoyed when they killed Cap for two reasons:

- Dumb idea to begin with

- He's not dead...no one ever really dies in comics...he'll be back

But I was also annoyed at the way MARVEL's politically naive, left-leaning editorial staff constructed the entire Civil War event, and how they've been using Cap since 9/11. So he's probably better off dead, instead of spouting the idiotic, Moveon.org version of politics.

#US1#

Gah, I've never liked Ross, and this is just another reason not to. I'm also mildly ticked they killed Cap in the first place, but I suppose if he was going to continue to be co-opted for ham-fisted political prattle, he's probably better off.

In retrospect, I think you're right. I was annoyed when they killed Cap for two reasons:

- Dumb idea to begin with

- He's not dead...no one ever really dies in comics...he'll be back

But I was also annoyed at the way MARVEL's politically naive, left-leaning editorial staff constructed the entire Civil War event, and how they've been using Cap since 9/11. So he's probably better off dead, instead of spouting the idiotic, Moveon.org version of politics.

#US1#

Not to get this into a political debate, but I think that Cap is actually the worst character ever to involve in political allegory storylines. Just because he is, in fact, Captain America,

any political stance he takes is clearly the "right" one, as far as the storytelling in concerned. Look at Civil War. It essentially allows writers to (sometimes literally) demonize the opposing view, because if they're against Cap, they're obviously wrong.

Of course, the counterpoint to this is to make every story about Cap struggling to see the right and wrong of each political position, but while that can be done very well, it can also wear out its welcome very quickly, and make Cap look weak-willed and ineffective.

There are great stories that can be (and have been) told with Cap, but to constantly stick him in the thinly-veiled political allegories is lazy writing.

Course it could be....

John Flag, The Fighting American!!!!

37822-fighting-american_400.jpg

LMAO.... ;)

Talk about crap! And a gun? What is he…the Punisher? …Oh yah…maybe actually! And perhaps this is Bucky? Bucky!?! I grew up in a time when comic deaths never had much of an impression. It wasn’t quite as bad as it is today, but you’d always suspect a return in the distant future. How many times can we say we’ve had our vile villain fall off a perilous cliffs edge seemingly to their death…yet OH-NO…no body is recovered!?! It’s a staple of comic outcomes. I can live with that. Today’s outcome is quite different. Instead of a slightly ambiguous death, when there is a very slim, yet mild, chance of continuing existence…we’re given survival via decapitations, nuclear bombs, and head shots. It’s becoming ridiculous. Each death has to be one upped. It’s no longer storytelling as much as it’s become a contest between writers. How can I one up the previous writers deaths? Not even these godly empowered characters could survive the majority of these things. I remember a time when there was still some level of respect for the comic writers long gone. You’d always say, “Well yah…he’s dead. But is he Bucky dead? Is he Jason Todd dead? Is he Uncle Ben dead?” Now two of those three supposed untouchables have been reborn. Even them!!! Do modern writers truly have no shame…?

But this is sheer garbage. I predict Capt. America, whomever will be behind the mask, will be back in his classic costume within a year.