GREEDY M'er F'er

Ren

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey!For once I agree with ARROW,he's 110% right on that comment about Collectors serving themselves FIRST before others.

I'm also with the group that will buy multiples and if I got a pair of Cobra Legion packs and someone asks them if I need them both at the store...I have no problem saying "Yes". I would even say "Yes" if I had 3 of them...maybe at 4 I'd be willing to give one up but to be honest I have spent so much time, money (for gas), and gas to try and find this new stuff that I'm not about to give anything I find up so readily. Maybe in some areas they're all over the place...but here in Northern Virginia...they're NOWHERE.

I can honestly say that if I saw 2 cases of GI Joe 25th Wave 2 or 3 figures on the shelves...I'd buy them all and have no hesistation in turning away anyone who asked for them...

I was at Toys R' Us and bought about 4-5 Cobra 5-Packs (the 1st one) and one of the TRU employees straight-up asked me if I was putting them up on eBay and I told him right back that I wasn't because I collect them. Those packs are still all with me and I will probably NEVER put them on eBay.

WHY?????? Why would you buy 4 of those? I could understand 2 (one to open....one to play with (whatever) ) Thats greed pour and simple!!! If they really are no where to be found where you live....you just screwed another collector over because your greedy!!! These things are hard to find and you just have to have 4......you make me sick. Id give anything to find just one. They should put a limit on the amount you can buy.....Because Pokiman (gotta catch em all) here needs to just be that guy. Why dont you take one of those 5 packs and put it p your ......

Where do you live? And you could have saved yourself the trouble of whining this much if you had just bought your stuff off e-bay, or an online vendor. Instead you choose to drive store-to-store...

-Kevin

WHY?????? Why would you buy 4 of those? I could understand 2 (one to open....one to play with (whatever) ) Thats greed pour and simple!!! If they really are no where to be found where you live....you just screwed another collector over because your greedy!!! These things are hard to find and you just have to have 4......you make me sick. Id give anything to find just one.

Oh please.........screwed over another collector???? Pray tell HOW?

What is keeping that collector from ordering the item on-line? What's keeping that collector from having a friend pick up a set in another city? What's keeping that collector from this stuff at all??

N-o-t-h-i-n-g.

Oh......wait.........there's a "should" on the tip of your tongue, right?

"He should be able to go into a store and buy it like anyone else! Its his constitutional right!"

(okay, maybe not that last part)

Y'know the market place we have at our disposal is global now. That means we can shop in virtually any country. Heck, we can shop in almost any part of our OWN countries without leaving our homes.

Where's the impediment here? What's the obstacle?

There is none.

Rather than whine or complain that someone is "helpless" in this.......why not realize that the options to get these things are MUCH greater than in one single community.

They should put a limit on the amount you can buy.....Because Pokiman (gotta catch em all) here needs to just be that guy. Why dont you take one of those 5 packs and put it p your ......

There's the "should"........

They should put a limit on it???

Y'know.....that's a communist line of thinking? Everyone is equal and we are all entitled to an equal share?

I doubt any of us here are living in a communist state.

Y'know.........capitalism isn't fair, and commerce isn't fair either......nor is consumption.

First come, first served is the rule in most commerce.

Also, you snooze, you lose.

Do you take that last piece of pizza in the fridge or do you slice it in half and leave it there for the next guy?? Or the last can of soda in the cooler, or do you take it and shove down your throat while wearing a sh!t-eating grin--counting yourself lucky that you got it first?? Quite a few people do.

Hey, that's life--welcome to it.

Have you paid attention to the points made in this thread?

Have you followed the reporting from Hasbro at the convention??

Heard the news that MORE sets are being made to meet the unexpected demand?

No?

It sounds like there is nothing to complain about here.

And there never has been.

Hey!For once I agree with ARROW,he's 110% right on that comment about Collectors serving themselves FIRST before others.

I'm also with the group that will buy multiples and if I got a pair of Cobra Legion packs and someone asks them if I need them both at the store...I have no problem saying "Yes". I would even say "Yes" if I had 3 of them...maybe at 4 I'd be willing to give one up but to be honest I have spent so much time, money (for gas), and gas to try and find this new stuff that I'm not about to give anything I find up so readily. Maybe in some areas they're all over the place...but here in Northern Virginia...they're NOWHERE.

I can honestly say that if I saw 2 cases of GI Joe 25th Wave 2 or 3 figures on the shelves...I'd buy them all and have no hesistation in turning away anyone who asked for them...

I was at Toys R' Us and bought about 4-5 Cobra 5-Packs (the 1st one) and one of the TRU employees straight-up asked me if I was putting them up on eBay and I told him right back that I wasn't because I collect them. Those packs are still all with me and I will probably NEVER put them on eBay.

WHY?????? Why would you buy 4 of those? I could understand 2 (one to open....one to play with (whatever) ) Thats greed pour and simple!!! If they really are no where to be found where you live....you just screwed another collector over because your greedy!!! These things are hard to find and you just have to have 4......you make me sick. Id give anything to find just one. They should put a limit on the amount you can buy.....Because Pokiman (gotta catch em all) here needs to just be that guy. Why dont you take one of those 5 packs and put it p your ......

Seriously, how does it feel to be a class A a-hole? What, are you in support of communism or something? I've read nothing but antagonistic crap from you in nearly everything you've posted. Then you go and insult a guy that many of us are friends with. What the heck is your problem? It's one thing to lack class. It's totally another to wallow in said lack of class. You seem to excel at it though.

I enjoy wallowing in class from time to time. Makes me feel like an upright citizen.

Either way, both sides have a pretty entertaining sense of entitlement about them. On the one hand, you have people who think that they're entitled to a fair shot at a product that many people are seeking. On the other, you have people who think they're entitled to buy whatever the hell they want because they live in a capitalistic society, therefore it's alright to take everything you can just because you want to hoard it.

Neither side is making any headway, and the argument's never going to be resolved. The best thing to do is be an adult about the situation and deal with it. You're never going to be happy when it comes to this hobby. You just have to be proactive about it.

I buy myself a set and I promised my son a set so if I found 2 you better believe I would buy both. If someone else got there first and had one or both oh well better luck next time. I wouldn't make an idiot out of myself and try to get one besides for all he knows your the scalper. Because of this post If someone came up and asked if I needed both I would state naw but my ebay account does and stroll off. @firedevil@

Well in that scenario you would be acting like a you know where this comment could go. Buy the son a set yeah right! That's as believable as the old "this money's going in you college fund give me a break" Now if your were talking about BEN-10 or Nintendo DS games, I might believe you, but I haven't seen the average kid interested in GI Joe for years (there's always exceptions).

I guess I just had the idea that the toy aisle was one big joe con, almost like a brotherhood, and if you can spot a fan, make a friend kind of deal, he missed out on future trades, another local collector, all because he was in a big hurry to take 'em both and get the eff outta there before his conscience set in. MAybe I should have said the but it's for my kid line you like to use. But it'd be hard for my son tolet go of the death grip on his power rangers and legos.

So know your calling me a liar, No offense but I don't need your brotherhood. My son has been collecting GI Joe on and off through Spy Troops and VVV and he has lots of old vehicles and figures I gave him. He has bought both 5 packs with his own money and has most of wave one. I guess if your 13 year old has a death grip on PR and lego then maybe you should be more worried about getting him out of diapers then who got the last 5 pack.

I despise guys like you that try and start flame wars, that is so 2002.

Listen buddy, obviously I'm going off of personal experience. It's an opinion, I'm not the 13th apostle carving in stone. My son's 7, and him and his buddies could give two shakes about GI Joe, and I'm in toy aisles all the time it's just not the in toyline for kids these day, not their thing.

I'm stoked your boy is into GI Joe, but he's the exception, not the rule. Next time you post, please make it relevent to the topic, I could tell by both of your posts you just an angry induvidual, there's no need to call me an idiot and then bag on my little one. Both posts were lame and vengeful, and that's why they been ignored by everyone in this thread.

Bring a valid debate to the post next time you chime in please.

I buy myself a set and I promised my son a set so if I found 2 you better believe I would buy both. If someone else got there first and had one or both oh well better luck next time. I wouldn't make an idiot out of myself and try to get one besides for all he knows your the scalper. Because of this post If someone came up and asked if I needed both I would state naw but my ebay account does and stroll off. @firedevil@

Well in that scenario you would be acting like a you know where this comment could go. Buy the son a set yeah right! That's as believable as the old "this money's going in you college fund give me a break" Now if your were talking about BEN-10 or Nintendo DS games, I might believe you, but I haven't seen the average kid interested in GI Joe for years (there's always exceptions).

I guess I just had the idea that the toy aisle was one big joe con, almost like a brotherhood, and if you can spot a fan, make a friend kind of deal, he missed out on future trades, another local collector, all because he was in a big hurry to take 'em both and get the eff outta there before his conscience set in. MAybe I should have said the but it's for my kid line you like to use. But it'd be hard for my son tolet go of the death grip on his power rangers and legos.

So know your calling me a liar, No offense but I don't need your brotherhood. My son has been collecting GI Joe on and off through Spy Troops and VVV and he has lots of old vehicles and figures I gave him. He has bought both 5 packs with his own money and has most of wave one. I guess if your 13 year old has a death grip on PR and lego then maybe you should be more worried about getting him out of diapers then who got the last 5 pack.

I despise guys like you that try and start flame wars, that is so 2002. I don't care that other forums engage and entice it, but TNI is above the internet trash talking. That's why it's the only forum I'm a member of, and a proud one at that.

Listen buddy, obviously I'm going off of personal experience. It's an opinion, I'm not the 13th apostle carving in stone. My son's 7, and him and his buddies could give two shakes about GI Joe, and I'm in toy aisles all the time it's just not the in toyline for kids these day, not their thing. The whole I'm buying it for my son excuse is one I've heard before, so I tend to disregard them. If you really have a son into Joe, that's awesome, and I'm sure a great bonding experience.

I'm stoked your boy is into GI Joe, but he's the exception, not the rule. Next time you post, please make it relevent to the topic, I could tell by both of your posts you just an angry induvidual, there's no need to call me an idiot and then bag on my little one. Both posts were lame and vengeful, and that's why they been ignored by everyone in this thread.

So I started talking to the guy. Turns out, he was buying them for a 2nd set, and he was an army builder, so he really wanted the Trooper. I offered him $50 (I was literally that tired of looking for them, and I spent far more than that in gas trying to find them) to let me grab Serpentor and Beachhead, since I'd already found Buzzer and Lady Jaye and he really needed the Trooper. He was quite shocked that I'd offer that much just for the chance to buy two figures, but we kept talking and he said he wouldn't do it because that's way too much money and he'd feel bad about it. So I told him that, since he needed the Trooper and Officer that was left on the peg as well, I'd pay for those for him if he'd let me have Beachhead and Serpentor. If he was willing to let me grab those two, I wouldn't take no for an answer. So we both walked out happy in the end.

I've tried that tactic before, sometimes it's sucessful. I was as friendly as I could be in the 20 seconds we shared, smiled, attempted small talk, the whole nine yards, but he was in no mood to meet another Joe collector. His body language and behavior showed me that he wanted this to be a Hatfield and McCoy/ Springfield and Shelbyville type of relationship.

Yeah, some people just don't want to talk. This guy was there with his wife, seemed genuinely excited to have found another Trooper, and looked like a fella who actually does something outside of looking for GI Joes all day, so I gave it a shot. Turned out I read him correctly. I wouldn't have even attempted to talk to him if he didn't seem like a guy who would be willing to help someone else out.

I've tried that tactic before, sometimes it's sucessful. I was as friendly as I could be in the 20 seconds we shared, smiled, attempted small talk, the whole nine yards, but he was in no mood to meet another Joe collector. His body language and behavior showed me that he wanted this to be a Hatfield and McCoy/ Springfield and Shelbyville type of relationship.

Y'know, I'm always hoping to strike up a conversation with a fellow collector (whether it be SW, Joes, ML, or etc..), but to no avail in my area - never see anyone near my age looking through the figures. I Even stalk the toy aisles during the witching hours - the prime looking times.

Either way, both sides have a pretty entertaining sense of entitlement about them. On the one hand, you have people who think that they're entitled to a fair shot at a product that many people are seeking. On the other, you have people who think they're entitled to buy whatever the hell they want because they live in a capitalistic society, therefore it's alright to take everything you can just because you want to hoard it.

And someone with money is NOT entitled to buy what they want, or as much as they want?

They have the currency in hand.......and if the goods are there, they can trade that currency for those goods.

Being able to offer something of value ENTITLES you to enter into a sales contract with a seller.

Where does motivation come into that arrangment?

What is wrong about that arrangement?

Are the laws different in some way in your area?

Go, ahead.........fee free to explain that, because that's not the way it works on most of this planet....LOL!

What I'm saying is that that is the mindset that most collectors are in. It's not right, nor is it wrong. It's an opinion. You know what they say about those. Personally, my opinion is that, if I've already got something and I don't need any more of it, I don't feel the need to buy it just to have it like a lot of people do. Therefore, my thoughts on that mindset are that it's a sense of entitlement because they feel like since they have the money and it's there, they can buy it regardless of the fact that they already have 6 of them. They feel like it's their right to have 34 of the same thing because they can afford it. The other side thinks it's their right to have a fair shot at the goods in question therefore they get angry with people who buy everything they see because they have a compulsion to hoard things.

I know what their motivation is. It's a form of OCD that causes them to hoard stuff. It's why some people have 75 cats. It's why some people have 16 cars. They can have it, so they will have it. They want it, so they'll take it.

Nothing's wrong with it. I just don't agree with it.

There are no laws about buying GI Joes in my area, last I checked. I may need to pour through the books some more, though, so I'll get back to you to let you know exactly what article the Fair GI Joe Buying Act of 2007 is under in my local legislature.

Y'know, I'm always hoping to strike up a conversation with a fellow collector (whether it be SW, Joes, ML, or etc..), but to no avail in my area - never see anyone near my age looking through the figures. I Even stalk the toy aisles during the witching hours - the prime looking times.

Wouldn't it be great? I mean, the collector car guys, the baseball card guys, new friendships blossom like a spring breeze

in other hobbies. It seems like toy collectors act like two feral dogs marking their territory whence they have encounters in the wilds of te toy aisle.

I've got a lot of toy collector friends. My friend and I, before he moved (he got married and had a kid, what a dope! :P ), would go look around for Joes and the He-Man relaunch all the time. I think since a lot of toys have gotten so hard to find thanks to many going specialty market only, the mass-market toys are in higher demand and people are more cutthroat about them. When you toss something in with high nostalgia value, like GI Joe, it just gets worse.

Wouldn't it be great? I mean, the collector car guys, the baseball card guys, new friendships blossom like a spring breeze

in other hobbies. It seems like toy collectors act like two feral dogs marking their territory whence they have encounters in the wilds of te toy aisle.

It also mostly stems from the fact that none of my friends are fellow collectors. And they usually don't see my latest toy finds as adequate talk over a couple of tasty adult beverages.

It also mostly stems from the fact that none of my friends are fellow collectors. And they usually don't see my latest toy finds as adequate talk over a couple of tasty adult beverages.

I know what you mean, I only have one of my buddies into GI Joe, but he'd never fork cold hard cash for a fig, unless I talked him into it. Peer Pressure, it works!

I despise guys like you that try and start flame wars, that is so 2002. I don't care that other forums engage and entice it, but TNI is above the internet trash talking. That's why it's the only forum I'm a member of, and a proud one at that.

Listen buddy, obviously I'm going off of personal experience. It's an opinion, I'm not the 13th apostle carving in stone. My son's 7, and him and his buddies could give two shakes about GI Joe, and I'm in toy aisles all the time it's just not the in toyline for kids these day, not their thing. The whole I'm buying it for my son excuse is one I've heard before, so I tend to disregard them. If you really have a son into Joe, that's awesome, and I'm sure a great bonding experience.

You start a topic calling people you don't know an M'Fer and call people A'holes in said topic then attack everyone who disagree's with you. I made a simple joke about putting them on Ebay and you attacked me called me a liar, but I'm the one that starts flamewars. Then try and cover it all with I thought there was brotherhood in the toy aisle sorry but I smell the pot calling the kettle black. If never once called you an idiot but I guess your read into that all yourself, hey if the shoe fits wear it. And how do you figure its the exception and not the rule just cause you say so? A few posters have stated there kids are into the new Joes but I guess they are wrong becuz of your "personal experience". Next time I post make it relevent to the topic? I did that I stated why I would buy 2 you just choice to blow it off, call it a lie then mock it. But I guess its not valid if it doesn't bow down and agree with you.

in other hobbies. It seems like toy collectors act like two feral dogs marking their territory whence they have encounters in the wilds of the toy aisle.

It really depends on who you are, I guess.

I have many great collector friends on-line and in person, and have for years and years now.

I've done toy-runs around town, to other cities and other countries with these folks.

The competiton just isn't there.

Now, mind you, I don't do those toy runs anymore because I live just too far away from those urban centres, but I keep and foster those relationships.

For me.....my interest in the collecting hobby exploded when I communicated with other collectors on line. I'm talking a exponential increase in interest.

The toys were the basis of it all, but it became so much more than that.......it really became about the people.

That's not contradictory with my statements above--its complimentary.

Yes, I will buy for myself first.....but then so will they. Hey, since my friends are so far away from me we don't cross lines in terms "hunting conflicts". Most of my buds collect the same way I do--arrangements with stores, on-line buys, ebay etc. so there's no potential "conflict" to begin with.

The hobby really becomes fun when you involve other people in with your collecting.

The hobby really becomes fun when you involve other people in with your collecting.

Thats the rumor I've heard. But the most involvement I get is taking my two year old son along with me. Daddy gets a toy, he gets a toy. Or my wife... begrudgingly giving me 10 min to run into a TRU/Wal-Mart/Target etc.. while she waits in the car.

LOL!

I love this. Just about everyone at one time or the other buys duplicates especially army builders. The assumption that it is a scalpr is bull. It was 2 sets not 5 or 10. Unless you know he is a seller your point is moot.

I feelo for you but he didn't have to let you have one.