GREEDY M'er F'er

Ren

On my way home from work I get this strange urge to go into Target, I had a feeling they had the legion 5 pack in. So I barrel on down to the toy aisle, and see this dude walking out of the aisle with BOTH legion packs. I missed grabbing one by literally 20 seconds! So I ask the guy " Hey Did you grab the last two?" He's all like YEAH in a what are you gonna do about it kind of voice. So I say, do you really need BOTH of them? And he puts his head down and scurries off to ebay. What a douch. I KNOW he's keeping on to himself and throwing the other one on Ebay! Man that pissed me off.

When the orginal 5 packs 1st came out, I spotted two of the Cobra Packs at a TRU, I only took ONE. Because that's all I needed, and Tazzzman or some other fan might breeze through and I made his day.

If there was a fellow Joe fan in the aisle and I was holding two of the exact same 5 pack on the 1st day they were put out, I totally would have handed one over. No problem, I'd be more than happy to make day!!

I hope karma really exists, because that was greedy as SH>> Whatta A---hole.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man i had the same thing happen with wave 2 when it hit in my area. i spent all morning looking for them. the guy took all 2cases that were there. i relay hate scalpers they suck. the last store i hit at 10 am was TRUs .

There was 5 guys there that were talking about what they were there to buy and how much they were going to get on ebay for them.

On my way home from work I get this strange urge to go into Target, I had a feeling they had the legion 5 pack in. So I barrel on down to the toy aisle, and see this dude walking out of the aisle with BOTH legion packs. I missed grabbing one by literally 20 seconds! So I ask the guy " Hey Did you grab the last two?" He's all like YEAH in a what are you gonna do about it kind of voice. So I say, do you really need BOTH of them? And he puts his head down and scurries off to ebay. What a douch. I KNOW he's keeping on to himself and throwing the other one on Ebay! Man that pissed me off.

When the orginal 5 packs 1st came out, I spotted two of the Cobra Packs at a TRU, I only took ONE. Because that's all I needed, and Tazzzman or some other fan might breeze through and I made his day.

If there was a fellow Joe fan in the aisle and I was holding two of the exact same 5 pack on the 1st day they were put out, I totally would have handed one over. No problem, I'd be more than happy to make day!!

I hope karma really exists, because that was greedy as SH>> Whatta A---hole.

Damn, I hear ya. I was at a Target today and found the new gi joe 5 pack (that has gung ho at the bottom dodging a grenade lol), so I know that they had them since this was the new pack, but nothing else was on the shelf. Thanks for being out there for the collectors as we know out there are not......what I think that we need to do is exchange phone numbers so I can hit you up if I see anything and vice versa, because we might have the right idea, but there are several others that do not care one thing about GI JOE or if they do they are greedy or want to make a buck.

Why do you assume he was a scalper? Maybe he wanted two for himself? I mean the pack does have 3 army builders in it. We army builders are a greedy bunch... but that doesn't mean we are scalpers. Or maybe his best friend told him to pick one up for him if he saw it... You never know man. I know it is irritationg to just miss a twoy you want but give the guy some slack. He is not nessicarily the scum of the earth because he bought both packs.

Why do you assume he was a scalper? Maybe he wanted two for himself? I mean the pack does have 3 army builders in it. We army builders are a greedy bunch... but that doesn't mean we are scalpers. Or maybe his best friend told him to pick one up for him if he saw it... You never know man. I know it is irritationg to just miss a twoy you want but give the guy some slack. He is not nessicarily the scum of the earth because he bought both packs.

Exactly. If he was buying the whole case maybe but 2 isn't that bad.

I am an army builder myself, but if I had someone who was a collector ask for a set... There is no way I could say no.... I know how it feels when you finally get your hands on something you have bee hunting for.... In my eyes, I know I will find another at some point, and save myself 24.99 :)

I am an army builder myself, but if I had someone who was a collector ask for a set... There is no way I could say no.... I know how it feels when you finally get your hands on something you have bee hunting for.... In my eyes, I know I will find another at some point, and save myself 24.99 :)

This is the same arguement that "whatever his name"-douche from another thread whining about people buying more than one of each.

I would buy both if I saw them, without thinking twice. Depending on the person who asked me, as I left, I would consider it. If it was a parent, with a kid (my soft spot), definately. If it was a cute girl, for her phone number. If it was anyone else, tough luck. There will be more.

My logic for this... I've been approached many times about my 7 Hiss 2bs... I won't part with them for just anyone. They're deep DEEP in my closet, and very difficult to get to. Not worth the trouble, at this point in my life, for selling them. I can keep them safely in the box until I move and they'll just go up in value if I decide to sell them.

-Kevin

So this is justified that we leave some for the rest, but more chances than not we will be leaving more for the scalpers. If I want to pick up more for me or friends that is my call and I will pick up what I want. The fact that they are hard to get at this point makes me want to pick up more to look out for friends and keep them from the scalpers. Also it is good to see that the line is doing so well, so passing on something that is this popular isn't right. I see nothing wrong with army building either. I don't, but I would like to know that if I wanted to I could. The fact that the toy companies should realize it, would be just to make alot more for the collectors to build and the collectors to collect. Look at star wars, they have pretty much storm troopers as their main troop building character. Look how many waves there are of them out there and different versions etc. If there are so many to work with in the joe verse why limit us? I would like to see wave upon wave of troop builders in the joe figure sections.

My main point is though that if we just pass on a figure and miss an opportunity to have that or multiples, for ourselves or friends or both, that either that gives more chance for a scalper or for the store to see that they are not selling and more chance to clearance them and make room for the next cheapo figure brand to come along. I want to see this line and any other great gijoe line down the road flourish. (I know this line is doing great and we dont have to worry about it going under). Just keep the line going, and if you can't find the figures, we can look out for each other.

Buying a few is alright, one to open and one to keep in the box, or to trade with buddies or hooking them up. But "army building", that's stupid, are your toys going off to war or something?

This is the same arguement that "whatever his name"-douche from another thread whining about people buying more than one of each.

I would buy both if I saw them, without thinking twice. Depending on the person who asked me, as I left, I would consider it. If it was a parent, with a kid (my soft spot), definately. If it was a cute girl, for her phone number. If it was anyone else, tough luck. There will be more.

My logic for this... I've been approached many times about my 7 Hiss 2bs... I won't part with them for just anyone. They're deep DEEP in my closet, and very difficult to get to. Not worth the trouble, at this point in my life, for selling them. I can keep them safely in the box until I move and they'll just go up in value if I decide to sell them.

-Kevin

Yea I have to agree. The 5 pack is an army builder and were I to see 2 or 3 or 4 I would buy them, no questions. If someone came up to me and said "Do you really need BOTH of them" I would promptly look at him VERY weird for confronting me over a toy in the middle of a store. That's just ridiculous. Don't jump to conclusions about what people do with the toys they buy. Yes, some of them are scalpers, and yes some might be collectors who might throw one up on ebay. So what? I've missed enough things in stores just like you did, seeing someone walking out with what I wanted. You know what though, I should have gotten their earlier. It's a popular item. I think you just need to chill out a little bit. I don't mean that in a mean way, just need to put things in perspective.

Like I said I don't army build but think it would be cool to have maybe 10 or so of the troops ONLY if I knew there was a good supply and that it wouldn't hurt friends. Since these are so scarce I would only buy more than 2 if I knew my friends needed them. As it is since they cut back overtime where I work, I am only buying 1 of each and since I've been collecting i've only bought 1 of each of what ever I bought.

If I saw a clearance of troops for gi joe I would buy them up. Gi joe was the only thing I ever would have wanted to build a slight army to. Cobra is about the armies and troops and bats. Since the devs say they want to have troop builders in each wave, why not try to get a few extra when supply meets the demand.

Buying a few is alright, one to open and one to keep in the box, or to trade with buddies or hooking them up. But "army building", that's stupid, are your toys going off to war or something?

Ok, lots of people are army builders. Your comment wasn't very tactful or constructive.

Think before you type.

Ok, lots of people are army builders. Your comment wasn't very tactful or constructive.

Think before you type.

I concur!

The point of army building for some, is that when we play with our toys, yes, they are at war! The Joes would win too easily if they weren't highly out numbered.

-Kevin

I'm sorry, but this whole thing just amuses me, and I say that sarcastically.

It only happens with toys, and only with toy collectors, and why that is......I think I'll never know.

If it was oranges someone was looking for and they came upon the last two oranges in the cooler--should they leave one for you?

Geez, of course, not.

If you want two, buy two.

The REASONS why are that person's own business.

I don't care if I'm the guy buying those last two oranges, so why the heck should I care if its the last two GIJOE toys?

Nobody bitches about those last two oranges, but they sure gripe about toys. Why the HELL is that? LOL!

This mystique about fairness in toy-collecting is just plain ludicrous--it boggles my mind. Its not a competition, its just plain ol' first come first served.

What adds to the bizarreness of it all is the sudden telepathy people seem to manifest in this too.

"The guy is a scalper" is just a juvenile demonization of someone whose motives for buying are unknown. People ASSUME the thing is going to Ebay, but in truth they just don't know. Not a very good way to go about life, in my view--thinking ill of someone for those kinds of reasons......man, I'd have some issues with the face that stares back at me in the mirror if I thought that way.

Here's a truism to replace that kind of thinking: there's always going to be more. And if there is "no more" being made, you can always find some of the ones that have already been made. In which case the "more" rule still technically applies. The same amount of effort a body makes cursing the guy that got the last one, and then looking for more of the stuff can be used right away just to look for the stuff in places said guy usually doesn't go.

A little patience, a little vigilance and smarts and you can collect a lot more happily.

Yea I have to agree. The 5 pack is an army builder and were I to see 2 or 3 or 4 I would buy them, no questions. If someone came up to me and said "Do you really need BOTH of them" I would promptly look at him VERY weird for confronting me over a toy in the middle of a store. That's just ridiculous.

Yep, as ridiculous as asking someone why you need two cans of spaghetti sauce or two packages of hotdogs. Whose freaking business is it WHY you buy something, right??

Only with toys though.........

<sigh>

Yea I have to agree. The 5 pack is an army builder and were I to see 2 or 3 or 4 I would buy them, no questions. If someone came up to me and said "Do you really need BOTH of them" I would promptly look at him VERY weird for confronting me over a toy in the middle of a store. That's just ridiculous.

Yep, as ridiculous as asking someone why you need two cans of spaghetti sauce or two packages of hotdogs. Whose freaking business is it WHY you buy something, right??

Only with toys though.........

<sigh>

EXACTLY.

I think the title of "GREEDY M'er F'er" tells a lot. When the M'er F'er term comes into play regarding toys, some priorities in life need to be checked.

I have no problem with him buying two, 12, or wiping the county out of stock, buy it all, I'm not in the store, what do I care, he got lucky. But when I'm STANDING IN THE FRIGGIN' AISLE with a fellow collector, and he's like f-u pal, that's a whole different level of greed I haven't experienced in my 15 years of toy collecting. Again, if there was only one, have at it, but there was 2 OF THESE EXACT SAME SET, and did I mention I"M STANDING right next to him!

The thing is, we both walked up literally at the same exact time, logic dictates he would do the decent thing and when I politely ask were you buying the last ones? Or something to that effect, he would offer me one of them. That's what I would have done if the shoe was on the other foot.

Bottom line is if I was the dude who grabbed them 20 seconds before he did,, and I was standing there holding them, I would have said you've been looking forward to these too? Well, he you go. Then he would say no it's ok, go ahead and keep both, and I would insist that he take one. Because that's the decent and ethical thing to do. And I have done this quite a few times with fellow collectors. I've done it with SW Rots, TF Classics, ML's you name it. Because when there's a brand new line or even series/wave, I realize I'm not the only one burning gas and trudging all over town trying to find something, anything.

I buy myself a set and I promised my son a set so if I found 2 you better believe I would buy both. No offense but I would much rather disappoint you then my son. If someone else got there first and had one or both oh well better luck next time. I wouldn't make an idiot out of myself and try to get one besides for all he knows your the scalper. Because of this post If someone came up and asked if I needed both I would state naw but my ebay account does and stroll off. @firedevil@

Think before you type.

Ok, lots of people are army builders.

And.....

Your comment wasn't very tactful or constructive.

I thought it was. Besides, this whole thread isn't tactful or constructive.

Think before you type.

I always do. Just my opinion. I see everyone else stating theirs.

I buy myself a set and I promised my son a set so if I found 2 you better believe I would buy both. If someone else got there first and had one or both oh well better luck next time. I wouldn't make an idiot out of myself and try to get one besides for all he knows your the scalper. Because of this post If someone came up and asked if I needed both I would state naw but my ebay account does and stroll off. @firedevil@

Well in that scenario you would be acting like a you know where this comment could go. Buy the son a set yeah right! That's as believable as the old "this money's going in you college fund give me a break" Now if your were talking about BEN-10 or Nintendo DS games, I might believe you, but I haven't seen the average kid interested in GI Joe for years (there's always exceptions).

I guess I just had the idea that the toy aisle was one big joe con, almost like a brotherhood, and if you can spot a fan, make a friend kind of deal, he missed out on future trades, another local collector, all because he was in a big hurry to take 'em both and get the eff outta there before his conscience set in. MAybe I should have said the but it's for my kid line you like to use. But it'd be hard for my son tolet go of the death grip on his power rangers and legos.

I have no problem with him buying two, 12, or wiping the county out of stock, buy it all, I'm not in the store, what do I care, he got lucky. But when I'm STANDING IN THE FRIGGIN' AISLE with a fellow collector, and he's like f-u pal, that's a whole different level of greed I haven't experienced in my 15 years of toy collecting. Again, if there was only one, have at it, but there was 2 OF THESE EXACT SAME SET, and did I mention I"M STANDING right next to him!

maybe he thought you were the scalper think about that.

I think the title of "GREEDY M'er F'er" tells a lot. When the M'er F'er term comes into play regarding toys, some priorities in life need to be checked.

By the way GG Pike, I'm one of the most affable, easygoing guys around, I didn't raise my voice, get in his face or try to intimidate him in any way, shape, or form. He was an Asian guy around my age, 25 to 30, roughly the same size and build as me if not bigger. I'm just not used to seeing such public displays of greed and the way he spoke to me almost had a vindictive you got punked vibe to them. I'm just frustrated and shocked how a "collector would treat another that way. I guess I'm spoiled by my TNI brothers, who have been nothing but intelligent and helpful over the year. I always heard stories about those kind of greedy collectors, but have never had an encounter with one.

And I thought more of you as a whole could identify with the realization I had that the toy aisle is like the rest of the world, cold, heartless, barren desert of every man for himself martial law. If this thread just becomes a flame attack factory on me and and Blue Cyclone and Tazzz and a few others, then we should just lock it up as is, because that wasn't the intention of the topic. I've been a member of TNI for years, and I've learned to loath thes pointless shouting matches.