Is it just me or are the ML sculpts looking more kiddish?

DesiSpider

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it might just be you... @loll@ I really don't miss Toybiz at all, their last 3 waves were not sculpted or painted that great, I had to dig though some at the store making sure there were no sculpt/paint errors, but with that said they were still good even though they had smaller BAFs. The Hasbro FF wave looks and feels great to me especially surfer, Doom, and Namor. I've been collecting MLs since the legendary rider series and I remember when people would constantly complain about Toybiz sculpts, paints, weak plastic that broke easily and how they "dropped the ball" on different things. I thought they were good back then and are still good now. I am sure that if ToyBiz was still doing things people would still have gripes about ect. ect.

I have some figs from Legendary Heroes and thier PiTT is the equivalent to ML's Sentinel, in look and texture. The figs are alright, nothing extraordinary. I won't be getting the next wave of LCBH because I'm not interested in either the figs or BAF, I'm waiting until they make a BAF The Maxx. :D

I've definitely noticed a shift towards a more cartoonish look in the ML sculpts. One thing that's puzzled me is that even when Hasbro reuses the Toy Biz Bullseye body (Banshee, Yellowjacket, Quicksilver), they've altered it sculpturally, making the arm muscles blocky and smooth, removing the arm veins, and muting the sculptural detail on the rest of the figure.

Its not just the sculpt, paint......just comparing toybiz and hasbro the overall quality seems to have come down.

Quite obvious reasons are to provide these figures at a lower cost with high oil prices. But some pointed out the hasbro star wars line are pretty good. So dont know what is the real culprit?

Its not just the sculpt, paint......just comparing toybiz and hasbro the overall quality seems to have come down.

Quite obvious reasons are to provide these figures at a lower cost with high oil prices. But some pointed out the hasbro star wars line are pretty good. So dont know what is the real culprit?

I have to disagree. Paint wise Toybiz spend more on paint but had sloppy paint jobs where Hasbro uses as minimum as possible.

Plastic wise I think Hasbro is better. My icons Spiderman and Venom from Toybiz just felt not as good as Hasbro's Human Torch. Still sculpt wise and articulation, Toybiz is still the winner.

WHO THE FRICK CARES, THEIR FRICKING TOYS FOR GODSAKE! lets be glad for all the improvements made with toys in the past 10 or so years. would you rather have your shelves empty without all your favorite characters, or would you have the face look a little bit better. want a wash? paint it yourself!

Number 1, that's a false choice. We don't have to "choose" between not having any Marvel Legends or having them look bad. They're going to exist regardless of what we do, and it gets really old to hear this attitude of "we should be happy that the Great Toy Gods have blessed our pitiful existence with these bountiful plastic idols from heaven!"

So as consumers, we don't have a right to expect or demand more from a product line we've been buying for years? Gimme a break.

Finally, your comment could basically apply to every discussion here ever. Yes, they're toys. Guess what? You're on a website for toy collectors. Why are you even on these boards if you find this all ridiculous and silly? If none of this interests you, then move along. Otherwise, let people discuss, argue, complain, compliment or whatever, and please don't try to stifle the conversation with the lame old, "you're arguing about TOYS, for pete's sake!" line.

ugh!

Amen!!! HighEvolutionary.. #US1#

I have to disagree. Paint wise Toybiz spend more on paint but had sloppy paint jobs where Hasbro uses as minimum as possible.

Plastic wise I think Hasbro is better. My icons Spiderman and Venom from Toybiz just felt not as good as Hasbro's Human Torch. Still sculpt wise and articulation, Toybiz is still the winner.

dude, Hasbro paint jobs are really sloppy now too... I went through like 30 of the new two packs and they were all messed up

Yeah, ML has gone really down hill since Hasbro took over. They said at SDCC that they were listening to fans and to give them a chance. I love the line and the characters so I will, but things have been pretty weak so far. The simplistic, cartoonish style has been just one of the several complaints that I have. ML is about the articulation and realistic detailing. If Hasbro wants to do a kiddie line, then do a seperate 4 or 5 inch relaunch, but keep ML the way it should be.

This is my first post, so please be gentle. ;)

While I mainly have only bought anything Hulk related from ML, I have on occasion been interested in a BAF enough to warrant buying figs I had no interest in just to get the BAF for a series. With all the Toybiz characters I had to buy JUST for the BAF parts, most of those figures, while looking good, have had terrible plastic quality, and a couple of them have broken at the joints because of this.

Hasbro's ML may look a little more "cartoony" but so far I'm much more impressed with the quality and durability of the plastic. My Hasbro ML are much easier to pose without fear of breaking, and without all those extra articulation points they look better (to me at least).

Both TB and Hasbro have good qualities that stand out, the former having great sculpts with more realistic coloring, and the latter also having great sculpts (IMO at least) with much greatic plastic quality control. Also, Hasbro IS learning still, after all, TB didn't start out as great as it ended up being when it finally did come to an end for TB, they learned also, and their figures looked much better as the series progressed because of it.

This is my first post, so please be gentle. ;)

While I mainly have only bought anything Hulk related from ML, I have on occasion been interested in a BAF enough to warrant buying figs I had no interest in just to get the BAF for a series. With all the Toybiz characters I had to buy JUST for the BAF parts, most of those figures, while looking good, have had terrible plastic quality, and a couple of them have broken at the joints because of this.

Hasbro's ML may look a little more "cartoony" but so far I'm much more impressed with the quality and durability of the plastic. My Hasbro ML are much easier to pose without fear of breaking, and without all those extra articulation points they look better (to me at least).

Both TB and Hasbro have good qualities that stand out, the former having great sculpts with more realistic coloring, and the latter also having great sculpts (IMO at least) with much greatic plastic quality control. Also, Hasbro IS learning still, after all, TB didn't start out as great as it ended up being when it finally did come to an end for TB, they learned also, and their figures looked much better as the series progressed because of it.

let me be the first to welcome you.

I'm really having trouble with this, I just dont see your arguement. Most of the FF wave was sculpted by artist that did work for toybiz and marvel toys. and figure that seems to be the jewel of the series, Dr. Doom, was done by a hasbro sculpter. Seriously people we get that the switch from toybiz to hasbro has brought change but to say the scuplters are creating cartoonish childerens toys is just too far.

complain about articulation, paint, scale, costume choice but the scultping is a good as it ever was(minus emma's face)

Do you really think the powers that be at Hasbro go to the sculptors and say "this is the character we want make the best sculpt possible" NO way. They tell them the look they are going for (cartoon as apposed to toy biz's realistic) and what type of articulation they want for that figure.

I can honestly say that I don't think hasbro goes up to sculpters and tells them to dumb down the realism of thier work. It's pretty insulting to assume that the artists just bend over like that.

can I get some examples of figures people think are cartoonish, because while I have seem some that people could make an arguement for, the majority don't look cartoonish to me.

I'm really having trouble with this, I just dont see your arguement. Most of the FF wave was sculpted by artist that did work for toybiz and marvel toys. and figure that seems to be the jewel of the series, Dr. Doom, was done by a hasbro sculpter. Seriously people we get that the switch from toybiz to hasbro has brought change but to say the scuplters are creating cartoonish childerens toys is just too far.

complain about articulation, paint, scale, costume choice but the scultping is a good as it ever was(minus emma's face)

Do you really think the powers that be at Hasbro go to the sculptors and say "this is the character we want make the best sculpt possible" NO way. They tell them the look they are going for (cartoon as apposed to toy biz's realistic) and what type of articulation they want for that figure.

I can honestly say that I don't think hasbro goes up to sculpters and tells them to dumb down the realism of thier work. It's pretty insulting to assume that the artists just bend over like that.

can I get some examples of figures people think are cartoonish, because while I have seem some that people could make an arguement for, the majority don't look cartoonish to me.

so your saying we shouldn't be blaming the company we should be blaming the sculpters? aren't they mostly freelance sculpter who worked for TB? why wouldn't they care about there sculpt. unles they want them to be like that. ouch my head hurts

At first I was completely with Hasbro and buying their new figures. So yeah, I just bought that Marvel Girl/Cable 2-pack and I was really unimpressed with Marvel Girl. I hated that her arms weren't as flexible, like I couldn't even get her hand to touch her head without making it look like she was just grabbing her face. There's also no way to flex her wrists and that's kind of annoying as well. I had a lot of really cool (but simple) poses in mind for this figure and I was thoroughly disappointed when I found out she wasn't able to do any of them.

<_<

let me be the first to welcome you.

Thanks bud!

As for the 2 packs, the only one I'm NOT interested in is Marvel Girl, here's hoping I'll see them soon.

Here's my take on this thread. Before Marvel Legends switched to Hasbro, the figures sculpts and overall appearance approached that of the Hard Figures statue that are out there, with great articulation to boot. That contributed to the popularity of the line. The sculpts approached the sheer realism of the comic version. I can say this for Series 6 onwards. And the manufacturers and sculptors strived to capture this realism by doing the appropriate texture and scultping down to the facial expressions as well the appropriate paint washes to bring out that effect. I don't see that happening these days. What we get is just generic appearing molds being repainted over and over regardless of character and joints being simplified to save on costs and maximize profit.

actually, your point about realism from wave 6 onwards is fairly good. and it led me to realize that toybiz's figures look exactly like the hasbro ones do before around wave 5 or 6. ill bet anyone on this forum that by this time next year, all these piddly little complaints stop.

I don't know that I really want to weigh in on yet another Hasbro VS. Toybiz argument, but what the heck...

No, I don't think by this time next year we will see an end to complaints unless there is an end to this line. Hasbro has the license, and Hasbro has been in the business for a long time riding out trend after trend of toys. They are going to sculpt and paint the ML line in a manner that is as cost effective as possible without looking too cheap. They have deep pockets, and can afford for the collectors to complain because they won't ever take as big a hit financially from a failed line as Toybiz would if it happened to them. Hasbro also does not have Marvel controlling their every release the way Toybiz (as a part of Marvel) did when they were still making Marvel Legends. Marvel could break the contract, but Hasbro wouldn't sink because of it. Toybiz had no choice. I'm happy Hasbro uses a higher grade plastic, but I don't like that with every set we're losing articulation since that's one of the things that hooked me on the line in the first place. I'm happy that Hasbro is releasing all kinds of characters, but if I see another Wolverine, Iron-Man, or freaking X-3 movie figure I'm going to climb a tower and start shooting! The new packaging is eye-catching, but how much is wasted on packaging that could be sunk into paint washes? Why is it that ML is losing detail and articulation, while G.I.Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers are all gaining it? Yea, those have all been traditionally Hasbro's best sellers, but if you picked up a new license that has proven to have a loyal (and slightly rabid) collector-base, wouldn't you want to give it all the love you give your other cash-cows?

I'll buy a figure here or there, but I think ML is dead for me. Both companies did some things right and some things wrong, but neither will ever live up to our hopes and lofty expectations. The 'Biz vs. 'Bro debate is moot. Hasbro has it, Toybiz doesn't. The end.

Oh yea, that's not a Bullseye body they "tuned", it's probably Captain Marvel/Moon Knight.

did no one else notice that from like series 13 or so on toybiz started using almost no washes

i think the only problem people really have with hasbros paint is they use such a pale color for skin, if they would use a slightly more tan color they would be fine

articulation is a whole other issue tho

actually, your point about realism from wave 6 onwards is fairly good. and it led me to realize that toybiz's figures look exactly like the hasbro ones do before around wave 5 or 6. ill bet anyone on this forum that by this time next year, all these piddly little complaints stop.

What? NO! Toy biz's sculpts before series 6 were realistic too! Go look at Tony Stark's face from series one, Namor, doom and Thing from series 2! Thor, Ghost Rider and Magneto from 3. Gambit, Punisher and beast from 4! Colossus, sabertooth, and reed from 5! All realistic head sculpts! Now go look at at all of Hasbro's face sculpts with the exception of doom and surfer they are all simple and cartoon inspired.

you keep dreamin that mate. there is alway going to be complainer even if we were still with TB.

Nobody cries about busted Figs as much as they do superficial stuff anymore... A figure breaking fresh out of the package is BAD QC, NO COMPROMISE!!!

Hasbro has the license, and Hasbro has been in the business for a long time riding out trend after trend of toys.

For the record...Hasbro created the Action Figure/Boy's Toys market... Maybe all of you would prefer if we went back to Lincoln Logs and Erector sets (...with Marvel branding of course?)