Is it just me or are the ML sculpts looking more kiddish?

DesiSpider

Well Ares obviously you didn't grasp that I was talking about you and not to you.

Y'know I usually only stop by these boards every couple of months and rarely post unless there's a topic that catches my interest. Eventually I get bored reading pages of the same old "stuff" over and over again, so I quickly move on. NOBODY is forcing you to read or comment on the opinions I express on those occasions. I'm NOT asking you to agree with them because I genuinely don't care what shallow sheeple like you who place name brand loyolty above the actual quailty of a product think. You're more than welcome to think or say whatever you want. What you WILL NOT DO is shout me down or outright BULLY me into not expressing my opinion at all. You may bore me into going elsewhere, but you won't BULLY me into it. @moon@

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you guys are bullying the people that defend the 'bro. the bottom line is, people will always compare whats going on now to what happened at the peak of ML. tiny BAFs? look at ML13 on. crappy paint apps? no washes? ML13 on. hasbro is picking up right where toybiz left off, but toybiz pushed so much product out, they couldnt do that much as for paint or POA, and hasbro is going by that model.

Whoa!! I don't know who's bullyin who but don't be complainin' about us expressing our opinions and keeping an objective view. The product is out there to critique for flaws and imperfections. It is fair game for any product that's out there that's not meeting standards set before. But if 70's and 80's toys are to some peoples' standards, then so be it. But when the remarks start getting borderline hostile, we can respond in kind . . . we gonna start b#$&%!! back right at ya . . . We can keep it all harmless and docile if we can, if you want this as civil as possible.

Well Ares obviously you didn't grasp that I was talking about you and not to you.

Y'know I usually only stop by these boards every couple of months and rarely post unless there's a topic that catches my interest. Eventually I get bored reading pages of the same old "stuff" over and over again, so I quickly move on. NOBODY is forcing you to read or comment on the opinions I express on those occasions. I'm NOT asking you to agree with them because I genuinely don't care what shallow sheeple like you who place name brand loyolty above the actual quailty of a product think. You're more than welcome to think or say whatever you want. What you WILL NOT DO is shout me down or outright BULLY me into not expressing my opinion at all. You may bore me into going elsewhere, but you won't BULLY me into it. @moon@

If you think that's bad, you should have heard what he said about your mother.

you guys are bullying the people that defend the 'bro.

Maybe you're interpreting the situation a little differently thatn I am because it's not about "you guys" or even Hasbro. It's about ME coming on here to express MY opinion and Ares trying to bully me into shutting up because HE's tired of hearing other people say the same thing I am. He claims it's nothing personal and I'm really not taking it that way. Instead I'm more concerned about the next guy who comes along that doesn't share his opinion and may not be as thick skinned as I am. Who may not be willing to stand up to him and will let him get away with this kind of borderline abusive behavior. Y'know I may not like or agree with someones opinion, but I won't attempt to deny their right to express it by telling them to shut up. Maybe you think his behavior is perfectly accectable, but ask yourself this. What happens the first time YOU don't agree with him?

you guys are bullying the people that defend the 'bro.

Maybe you're interpreting the situation a little differently thatn I am because it's not about "you guys" or even Hasbro. It's about ME coming on here to express MY opinion and Ares trying to bully me into shutting up because HE's tired of hearing other people say the same thing I am. He claims it's nothing personal and I'm really not taking it that way. Instead I'm more concerned about the next guy who comes along that doesn't share his opinion and may not be as thick skinned as I am. Who may not be willing to stand up to him and will let him get away with this kind of borderline abusive behavior. Y'know I may not like or agree with someones opinion, but I won't attempt to deny their right to express it by telling them to shut up. Maybe you think his behavior is perfectly accectable, but ask yourself this. What happens the first time YOU don't agree with him?

there are plenty of things i dont agree about with him. i think he's clinically insane. but you point out that he was bullying you; wanna know what happened the first time i was attacked? i moved on. you cant change the past, you can just hope it helps things in the future.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But I honestly never cared for ToyBiz's lean towards realism. Most of the time, it just made buying figures a pain in the butt.. Mainly due to the fact that you had to check the paint apps on every figure before you grabbed them, heck I always had a chill preordering from online stores due to this. Also I always felt that these are based on comic book characters so shouldn't their facial sculpts look closer to that of something off a comic book page. Just look at the Mattel DC comic book figures, they look like they jumped right off the page of a comic book. Same goes for DC direct, just because Hasbro changed it doesn't make the change negative. Are they saving money Yes. Are they expanding the demographic, maybe but there is no proof of that. Perhaps the marketing directors at Hasbro just had a slightly different vision of what the lines look should be, that and they probably did want their product to differ from that of Toybiz, once again they probably didn't want to deal with the head aches caused by fancier paint applications. Also does anybody remember just not to long ago how often people would complain about terrible paint washes or applications back in the Toybiz days, yeah that was probably the number one complaint during their run. Number two being limbs that just snap clean off. Heck I doubt that the number of people who want their figures repainted is any higher than before. Because those who were needed to do it with Toybiz figures are going to do it with any figure.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But I honestly never cared for ToyBiz's lean towards realism. Most of the time, it just made buying figures a pain in the butt.. Mainly due to the fact that you had to check the paint apps on every figure before you grabbed them, heck I always had a chill preordering from online stores due to this. Also I always felt that these are based on comic book characters so shouldn't their facial sculpts look closer to that of something off a comic book page. Just look at the Mattel DC comic book figures, they look like they jumped right off the page of a comic book. Same goes for DC direct, just because Hasbro changed it doesn't make the change negative. Are they saving money Yes. Are they expanding the demographic, maybe but there is no proof of that. Perhaps the marketing directors at Hasbro just had a slightly different vision of what the lines look should be, that and they probably did want their product to differ from that of Toybiz, once again they probably didn't want to deal with the head aches caused by fancier paint applications.

Yes, we want our figures to look like they jumped off the comic pages... Toybiz did that, Mattel is doing that with their DCSH line.

Hasbro is giving us figures that have jumped straight from the pages of a COLORING BOOK! (a children's coloring book, ages 2-6.... that comes with three crayons that the kids can choose from)

Hey pal i think there was some mis-communication here. The way i see it you expressed your feelings and opposed his and he expressed his while also saying things against your opinion. Why should it matter if someone is in a minority of opinion? It shouldn't. We're all people and all our opinions matter. If you like mcdonalds and someone else likes burgerking is there any reason it should matter what they like opposed to you? I dont see any. I actually am neutral on this. I like hasbro's durability and character selection but i also like toybiz paint and sculpts. But we are all people entitled to free speech are we not? So I think we should all just agree to disagree. FWI this IS'NT an attack on ANYONE just a collector who wants everyones opinion respected. That being said lets hope hasbro can get their head in the game soon and save the line. If anyone is offended by this statment feel free to let me know. #US1#

Hey pal i think there was some mis-communication here. The way i see it you expressed your feelings and opposed his and he expressed his while also saying things against your opinion. Why should it matter if someone is in a minority of opinion? It shouldn't. We're all people and all our opinions matter. If you like mcdonalds and someone else likes burgerking is there any reason it should matter what they like opposed to you? I dont see any. I actually am neutral on this. I like hasbro's durability and character selection but i also like toybiz paint and sculpts. But we are all people entitled to free speech are we not? So I think we should all just agree to disagree. FWI this IS'NT an attack on ANYONE just a collector who wants everyones opinion respected. That being said lets hope hasbro can get their head in the game soon and save the line. If anyone is offended by this statment feel free to let me know. #US1#

For the record, Burger King IS better than McDonalds.

@smilepunch@

For the record, Burger King IS better than McDonalds

@smilepunch@

I agree but thats a matter of opinion. Someone has to like mcdonalds.

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet. But I honestly never cared for ToyBiz's lean towards realism. Most of the time, it just made buying figures a pain in the butt.. Mainly due to the fact that you had to check the paint apps on every figure before you grabbed them, heck I always had a chill preordering from online stores due to this. Also I always felt that these are based on comic book characters so shouldn't their facial sculpts look closer to that of something off a comic book page. Just look at the Mattel DC comic book figures, they look like they jumped right off the page of a comic book. Same goes for DC direct, just because Hasbro changed it doesn't make the change negative. Are they saving money Yes. Are they expanding the demographic, maybe but there is no proof of that. Perhaps the marketing directors at Hasbro just had a slightly different vision of what the lines look should be, that and they probably did want their product to differ from that of Toybiz, once again they probably didn't want to deal with the head aches caused by fancier paint applications.

Yes, we want our figures to look like they jumped off the comic pages... Toybiz did that, Mattel is doing that with their DCSH line.

Hasbro is giving us figures that have jumped straight from the pages of a COLORING BOOK! (a children's coloring book, ages 2-6.... that comes with three crayons that the kids can choose from)

oh my god! i couldn't stop laughin! it's true, the FF line, except for Doom, look like coloring book characters for ages 2-6, hehehe!

@smilepunch@

Wendy's is supreme.... Price point + portions= Value! How much does McDowells charge for six nuggets or what about Burger Crown? .99 cents for five at Wendy's for almost ten years! Not for a limited time only?

But back on topic (in a round about kind of way...) I am crazy! I'm crazy to believe that an adult colector who's been into action figures since the 70's should be able to view the boards without being swamped with piss and vinegar! Almost 18 months and we still have people complaining about the state of the line from back in January?! JANUARY!!! As we type, the Sigma 6 elbows are being phased out...because "The Bro" see that it didn't fit with collectors hopes for the line. Slowly but surely, the paint apps are coming up to snuff as well (see; Lord Thor, Namor, Cannonball and more) Sure the level of detail is still a couple of steps behind, but none of this new crop looks like HML1.

If you want to take credit for all the changes through all of your negativity...go right ahead! But I still think if we conduct ourselves like adults, we'll make more progress! But then again, I'm crazy to think that civilized people will act civilized?!

Uh... you think that Namor is a representation of Hasbro's improving paint techniques?

honestly?

its a pretty standard notion that Namor has some of the worst paint to ever grace an action figure.... unless you like fake-n-bake looking people... Namor is super pale, like a cancer patient, but with an orange glow to him in many places... he is WHACK!

Lord Thor's paint is pretty lame too.. very dull and cookie cutter.

Cannonball sports terrible paint too... he is the sloppiest figure I have seen Hasbro do for Marvel Legends

For the record, Burger King IS better than McDonalds

@smilepunch@

I agree but thats a matter of opinion. Someone has to like mcdonalds.

well, im trying to get a job there, but burger king is loads better. the grease on their food doesnt make the burger paper totally see through.

i think he's clinically insane.

Well at least that's something we can agree on. :D I said what I felt needed to be said about his behavior and that's the end of it as far as I'm concerned. Moving along.....yeah B.K. is MUCH better than Mcky D's. Wendy's tops them both though. ;)

or buffalo wild wings!

HELL YES B-DUBS FTW!

you cant have a beer with your food if you go to mcy ds, wendys or bk.... unless you take out and get one from your fridge that is.

I think what everyone is failing to see here is that Hasbro is a company that is in business to make money.

They are doing so so sculpts for a reason, it's called longevity.

Does everyone remember the first few waves of Star wars from the mid nineties? They were crap!!! Know lets look at he amount of resculpts, re-releases and repaints they have done of that same character, in the same outfit, from the same scene, over and over again. Just off the top of my head I would say there has been at least 21 ( I'm sure someone out there will chime in on my innaccuracy) of Luke Skywalker Tatooine outfit. Yet me and other Star Wars collectors continue to buy at least two of each figure that ever comes out. The main reason for me being that the sculpting does get better on each one, but there is never ever one that is completely perfect. Either the head is too big or the colour of the the jacket is off or any number of reasons .

This my friends is called marketing! As to whether this tactic will hold true is completely up to us, the fans themselves. Toybiz was smart starting the BAF thing, it almost guarentees the complete sale of at least one of every set. However, there will always be "peg warmers" and these figures will make or break the future release of another one like it. I think the poor sales on Spidey 3 5" figs has shown Hasbro what we want in one area at least. Which brings me to one last point.

Let them know how you feel by not buying that last crap character or sculpt hanging on the peg just beacuse its down to $2.98 now. Case in point all the Toybiz Psylocke and Longshot clingons still out there. No BAF in the world could make me buy 2 of each of those!!!!

@smilepunch@

Wendy's is supreme.... Price point + portions= Value! How much does McDowells charge for six nuggets or what about Burger Crown? .99 cents for five at Wendy's for almost ten years! Not for a limited time only?

But back on topic (in a round about kind of way...) I am crazy! I'm crazy to believe that an adult colector who's been into action figures since the 70's should be able to view the boards without being swamped with piss and vinegar! Almost 18 months and we still have people complaining about the state of the line from back in January?! JANUARY!!! As we type, the Sigma 6 elbows are being phased out...because "The Bro" see that it didn't fit with collectors hopes for the line. Slowly but surely, the paint apps are coming up to snuff as well (see; Lord Thor, Namor, Cannonball and more) Sure the level of detail is still a couple of steps behind, but none of this new crop looks like HML1.

If you want to take credit for all the changes through all of your negativity...go right ahead! But I still think if we conduct ourselves like adults, we'll make more progress! But then again, I'm crazy to think that civilized people will act civilized?!

You are not alone. There are a lot of people that agree with you!! Most people I know agree there has been a vast improvement with the FF wave and ML 3.

Draven

I do agree that there is improvement with the ML figures that were shown at SDCC. I wasn't too impressed with the FF wave and even less so with Spider-Man, but the new ML figures did have definite improvements. Daredevil looked quite good and so did Punisher. The Hasbro reps there asked us to be patient, saying that they had heard our complaints and were making adjustments. I accept that there is a learning curve to this and I am glad Hasbro seems to genuinely be sensitive to what we want. That's why I think it is important that we express what we want and are unhappy about. I agree with Clam that the sculpts have been childish. I hope there is increased realism in detailing and paint aps in the future while mainting a high level of poseability. I want to keep collecting ML for a long time.