A LITTLE NEWS ABOUT THE JOE MOVIE!

Chazz

Not sure if this is old news are not since I haven't been around lately, but I found this article on JOBLO.COM:

Even though VAN HELSING writer-director-apocalypse Stephen Sommers just recently enlisted to take command of G.I. JOE (which, in case you forgot, is now an acronym for Global Integrated Joint Operating Entity, an international co-ed force of operatives who use hi-tech equipment to battle Cobra), a script has apparently been surrendered to the Powers That Be.

Prolific scribe Stuart Beattie has finished playing with the kung-fu-gripped toy line and handed in a draft, and IESB says that the story has the Joe team located in the United States instead of the previously announced neutral territory of Brussels (because, of course, USA is Number 1 greatest country in the universe! USA! USA!). The heroic organization will be clashing mainly with Destro, the Baroness and the forces of Cobra, plus the Dreadnoks and Zartan.

Cobra Commander will now reportedly be more a mysterious "Man with the Plan" kind of scheming villain, pulling the strings from the shadows. No signs of Serpentor. The story also apparently explores the history and animosity between Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. Hooray for ninjas!

Sommers will likely now either discard Beattie's draft, or work on making it really, really dumb. The movie is a pre-strike priority (like everything else), but with the A-list rapidly filling their schedules, we might end up seeing a JOE cast more along the lines of STREET FIGHTER than OCEAN'S 11...

girrrjoeee.jpg

JOBLO.COM seem to be pretty reliable as far as movies go (it's like my bible) but I hope they are wrong about the movie focusing on storm shadow and snake eyes so much @sad@

If it focuses on SS and SE that much it seems to me that this movie is along the lines of the recent CGI movies, with some changes of course. I'm not going to start complaining yet, I'd sure like to start seeing some castings though, give us some idea on who and what to expect from the characters.

IGN.com basically had the same thing to say about the movie. They said the script has been submitted, it mainly focuses on Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes, and Cobra Commander is like the Emperor to Destro and the Baroness' Darth Vader, with Zartan and the Dreadnoks being the hired muscle to deal with the Joes.

I haven't been too optimistic since the first announcement of a G.I. Joe film, but even though I love Storm Shadow above all other characters, a movie that mainly focuses on him and his ninja brother doesn't sound too promising.

Man, thanks a lot for this "wonderful" news on the movie, Chazz @grumpy@

If there is one thing I didn't want this movie to be about, it's Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow. I have never really liked the huge ninja fest that GI Joe eventually became. It's fine if that's a part of the verse, but not if it's one of the main focuses.

I was really ok with everything after Hasbro showed us the "message from Summers" during the convention. I like the Mummy movies, and I thought that maybe he just might be able to pull the Joe movie off. Focus on Destro is fine, Zartan and the Dreadnoks are great, and Cobra Commander being behind the scenes pulling the strings is just great and leaves something for the second movie to focus on.

But ninjas? Please please please leave the ninja SE vs SS to a minimum. If they're going to do it, just make the movie a GI Joe spinoff. Don't make the GI Joe movie all about SE & SS.

I don't know if anyone watches it, but maybe they should take a cue from The Unit? The dynamics and missions on that show are great, the brotherhood amongst the soldiers strong, and the behind the scenes general jockeying (ie the Jugglers in the Joe Universe) is perfectly suited to Joe.

I'm still holding out a little bit of hope that somehow the turd yet to be will end up a polished turd at least in the end.

well Hasbro still has say in this, and they are going over the script right now, fixing innaccuracies and

different things. this is an Early report, the Script was a rushed first draft, that hasbro asked Beatti to write

about the original characters.

im glad CC will not be a baffling bafoon like in the cartoon, not digging the ninja fest though,

at this point i wish snake eyes and SS die, so we never have to deal with ninja crap again.

but after transformers, i expect Roadblock to die ( played by Ja Rule or some crap). Destro, baroness, and SS to die, only to be pathetically resurrected in the horrible sequel.

and im being positive about this.

I would love for the movie to have an good script,lots of action and be stop motion with the 80's action figures. kinda like what they do on robot chicken only with cooler looking animated mouths! thats my ideal joe movie!!

TM

Snake eyes and storm shadow can have the parts in the movie without it dominating the The Central Plot of the movie.

There must be hiss tanks And large Cobra Armies of troopers and vipers.

bottom line. most have 120 Million budget and full cooperation of US Government to make this film.

No problem @lol@

Yea George, I'm with you..I'm tired of this ninja crap becoming the focus of G.I.Joe every freakin' time! Yea it has it's place..a very small place in a military based toy line and shouldn't over shadow so many other huge characters in the joe universe. It's funny to me how hasbro just think we all go ga-ga over ninjas all the time "Just throw them a bunch of ninjas and they'll just eat that #$@# up".. @hmmm@ Not to offend the handicape or anything...but i realy don't have any intrest in seeing a movie that stars a mute...damn that sounded mean! @loll@ oh well, hate me if you want... Seriously though, there are so many intresting characters that could bring so much to this movie it would be a shame for them not to use them.

Like you, I am loving the idea of Zartan and the Noks playing an important role in the movie. @bounce@

No problem @lol@

Yea George, I'm with you..I'm tired of this ninja crap becoming the focus of G.I.Joe every freakin' time! Yea it has it's place..a very small place in a military based toy line and shouldn't over shadow so many other huge characters in the joe universe. It's funny to me how hasbro just think we all go ga-ga over ninjas all the time "Just throw them a bunch of ninjas and they'll just eat that #$@# up".. @hmmm@ Not to offend the handicape or anything...but i realy don't have any intrest in seeing a movie that stars a mute...damn that sounded mean! @loll@ oh well, hate me if you want... Seriously though, there are so many intresting characters that could bring so much to this movie it would be a shame for them not to use them.

Like you, I am loving the idea of Zartan and the Noks playing an important role in the movie. @bounce@

Baby, you know I don't hate the Chazz!

Yea, ninjas do not equal instant nerdgasm for us. I am with you on the "mute" comment as well . . . it's ok to admit you hate handicap people, Chazz. Be proud of who you are @smilepunch@ JK Seriously though, I want the movie focusing on the team. Maybe a 70 / 30 split on team / individual.

Even though it's the early stages, it's so hard to withhold comments and criticisms of what we've heard. Hell, it's our job to call them out.

Ya heard?!

No problem @lol@

Baby, you know I don't hate the Chazz!

Yea, ninjas do not equal instant nerdgasm for us. I am with you on the "mute" comment as well . . . it's ok to admit you hate handicap people, Chazz. Be proud of who you are @smilepunch@ JK Seriously though, I want the movie focusing on the team. Maybe a 70 / 30 split on team / individual.

Even though it's the early stages, it's so hard to withhold comments and criticisms of what we've heard. Hell, it's our job to call them out.

Ya heard?!

Down with the crips!!!

-Kevin

No problem

Yea George, I'm with you..I'm tired of this ninja crap becoming the focus of G.I.Joe every freakin' time! Yea it has it's place..a very small place in a military based toy line and shouldn't over shadow so many other huge characters in the joe universe. It's funny to me how hasbro just think we all go ga-ga over ninjas all the time "Just throw them a bunch of ninjas and they'll just eat that #$@# up".. @hmmm@ Not to offend the handicape or anything...but i realy don't have any intrest in seeing a movie that stars a mute...damn that sounded mean! oh well, hate me if you want... Seriously though, there are so many intresting characters that could bring so much to this movie it would be a shame for them not to use them.

Like you, I am loving the idea of Zartan and the Noks playing an important role in the movie.

I am with you on the "mute" comment as well . . . it's ok to admit you hate handicap people, Chazz. Be proud of who you are

Down with the crips!!!

-Kevin

@loll@ ...if I wanna see a mute as the leading man i'll watch me some ol' charlie chaplin movies or something @lol@ @smilepunch@

Nah, it has nothing to do with him being a mute, but the fact he's a mute with a mask...it's gonna take a helluva actor to pull off showing emotion with his face covered the entire time @lol@ ...it may be just me, but I think it would be pretty boring to watch ...well atleast boring to watch compared to watching so many emotional charged Joe characters on the screen. Don't get me wrong, I like ol' SE but I don't think he can carry this entire Joe movie by himself. @rolleye@ I think it is important to talk about this sense Hasbro seems to finaly be listening to the collectors.

If it's about Snake Eyes the same way the X-Men movie focused on Wolverine, I'm fine with that, because it wasn't really done at the expense of the rest of the team.

Seriously, this isn't terrible news, but it really does depend on how it's handled, of course.

why dident they just get larry hama to write the script?

because Hama is not a screenwriter, or at least a good one. huge difference writing comics and movies.

I think the movie sounds great.

Love everything about it so far except for the NINJAS... We need to focus on DUKE, FLINT, Scarlett, Lady Jay, Roadblack...cameos of Shipwreck, Dusty, Frostbite and the Snow team......but not all on SS SE....... If Hasbro does it right, they can have many movies with a good story line with soooo many characters to focus on...... HEll I am still waiting to see Gambit in an X-men movie, but thats another story.......

I am gonna blame Skarapz if the movie sucks.....just because I can. ;)

GOOD call. That makes me feel a lot better and gives me a target for my anger.

you both suck @grumpy@

As Hasbro stated at JoeCon, your gonna hear alot of rumors about so-called scripts and such leak out, alot of times on purpose so they can gauge public opinion. Certainly feel free to express opinions on these things but I wouldn't get to worked up or upset about them at this early stage.

I hoped you noticed in the iesb.net article that theyre gona include Zarana. I HOPE/pray that the filmmakers cast pop star Pink in that role.

Not sure exactly how well she has aged, but 10-12 years ago Lori Petty would have been perfect.

tank1.jpg

I'm going to remain calm about this as I'm more of a Transformers fan and I don't have to get as worked up as you guys do. But I will say this, HASBRO better make SURE that the GI Joe team is AMERICAN based or I WON'T see the movie. Afterall, A Real American Hero is what the whole thing is about. It's like saying the Transformers DON'T come from Cybertron.