anyone else "still" hate the 25th anny figures?

Toiletmonkey1

They look fine to me but my beef with them has been the fact the can not sit down. The only one that I have seen so far that can sit down is Roadblock. I was told at the convention that that was going to be corrected. I really hope so. By the way, did anyone get a helmet with their flash? I don't see why they did not use grandslams helmet. oh well.

I think the new line is great. Each to his own and all, but other than the limited range of motion of the elbows, I can't see any room to complain. They have the cool retro design and they look pretty badass. Hopefully they won't give us too many re-issues of the same characters. It's like the Command and Conquer game. The game play on the new third edition is pretty much the same as in the first, but the graphics and detailing are better.

I think it is the best thing to happen to GIJOE since 1982's ARAH. They are fresh, and fun with superior sculpts and still captures the magic of the characters of my youth. It completely got me into GIJOE again. For those who are stuck in the old, I think you are missing out. Yes, they are different in ways but if you put them side by side to the ARAH stuff I think they are far superior in every way.

One mans opinion.

DO I PLAY WITH THEM?!?!?!

Picture008-2.jpg

Picture009-1.jpg

DSC04283.jpg

HELLZ YEA!!! @lol@

I have alway sadmited openly that I "play" with my toys still..even if it's just posing them or setting up diffrent dios...or laying on the carpet in my gameroom doing voices and making laser rifle noises (thwoom! thwoom! @lol ) I do it all...even if I only have a chance to realy mess with them but once or twice a year.

These 25th figs, I just can't put them down! They are so much fun..they have the familiar look of RAH but with the one thing I liked about JVC that RAH didn't have...and that's having removable gear and fire arms on just about every fig! I love the fact that storm shadow's back pack isn't just held on only by a "peg" in his back...but he's actualy rockin' it in a much more realistic way. I realy don't see how anybody could just buy these figs and not open them...how could you resist looking at wave one SE and not tearing open that package!?!? @lol@ The two things that I didn't like about the figs, not being able to put them in vehicles and the lack of back packs..hasbro has promised to fix these things so it's all good for me now.

I'm actualy pretty suprise to hear YOU don't like them, TM...as creative as you are with your dios and customs I thought you'd find some pretty good use for these figs ...

I'm actualy pretty suprise to hear YOU don't like them, TM...as creative as you are with your dios and customs I thought you'd find some pretty good use for these figs @smile@

I'm creative but even in my imagination i cant make these figures good! seems like hasbro cant find the middle ground. it always seems like they didnt try hard enough or they try to hard. the latter seems to be the case with the 25th anny stuff (IMO) but if you guys love em i think thats cool. i just wish i could???

TM

• Like 1

And...nobody's really saying anything, but...I'm excited about the DTC Wave 4 figures being available through Master Collector. Granted they'll probably charge an arm and a leg for them, but I'm glad we're actually gonna get a shot at 'em after being disappointed over their cancellation. Am I the only one who's excited about that?

Me too actually! And it would be the GIJCC selling it, not Master Collector. ;)

Oh! My bad; I thought they were one and the same. How can I become a member so I can get them?

I think the JvC/VvV/DTC stuff was better. Yeah these LOOK great but they are actually less articulated in most areas and can't hold their weapons worth a damn. They are basically like miniature statues. I think a lot of people are being won over by the retro packaging and thus ignoring the figure's major flaws. They are not even 3 3/4" scale! I also think a lot of people that like these figures are people who normally weren't collecting G.I. JOE stuff and thus are used to collecting figures that they are just going to set up on a shelf or even keep MOC. It's sad how great these would be if they were the right size and had the same construction as the "new sculpt" figures. That's right, if the new sculpt figures had gone with the definitive looks rather than trying to reinvent everyone with new uniforms and goatees it would have easily of been a superior product. Just look at the last VvV Snake-Eyes for example.

I think maybe nostalgia aspect of G.I. JOE:ARAH has come full circle. I think many fans have now abandoned the whole "toys" aspect of G.I. JOE and now just want to celebrate the definitive characters and could care less if the figures hold up to the test of actual play.

I think the JvC/VvV/DTC stuff was better. Yeah these LOOK great but they are actually less articulated in most areas and can't hold their weapons worth a damn. They are basically like miniature statues. I think a lot of people are being won over by the retro packaging and thus ignoring the figure's major flaws. They are not even 3 3/4" scale! I also think a lot of people that like these figures are people who normally weren't collecting G.I. JOE stuff and thus are used to collecting figures that they are just going to set up on a shelf or even keep MOC. It's sad how great these would be if they were the right size and had the same construction as the "new sculpt" figures. That's right, if the new sculpt figures had gone with the definitive looks rather than trying to reinvent everyone with new uniforms and goatees it would have easily of been a superior product. Just look at the last VvV Snake-Eyes for example.

I think maybe nostalgia aspect of G.I. JOE:ARAH has come full circle. I think many fans have now abandoned the whole "toys" aspect of G.I. JOE and now just want to celebrate the definitive characters and could care less if the figures hold up to the test of actual play.

I know this wasn't directed to me but I still have to stress the fact that these figures, atleast in my case are bought absolutely for there PLAYABILITY...hell, i'm too poor to buy junk just to look at it @lol@ Yea people keep complaining about the leg stuff but at the con Hasbro said they are gonna absolutely fix this problem..no maybe about it...according to them it's already in the works. How it was explained to us in the con these figures were only meant to be a tribute line and like you put it miniture statues....they had no idea on what they stumbled on to, hence the reason for the lack of back packs.

To say JVC was better then this line is a pretty low blow...I mean c'mon, are we forgetting the invasion of t-crotches? @lol@ I've been collecting since '82 and I think you're wrong to think this line is mainly to attract people who never realy collected ARAH...I think it's just the opposite...I think this line is for the ARAH collector who is satisfied with his RAH collection and has pretty much nothing else to add to his collection.... except for $30 and plus army builders and your occasional vechicle. I think this line is keeping those collectors intrested in buying the same characters again...the same characters but still an entirely new toy. I remember playing with my joes as a kid and having Duke get captured and having to pretend his side arm was taken away and not still molded to his leg...I think it's cool that I know longer have to pretend @wink@

I have to pretty much respectively disagree with everything you've said.

I think that most of us that like them and, correct me if I'm wrong people, know they're not the same exact scale. It would make more sense that people collecting these were pretty much all collecting GI Joe in the first place, except for people new to the GI Joe line. I'm sure the line has drawn some older people in that have never collected GI Joe before, but that should be a good thing. I don't think you can make assumptions that a lot of people collecting these never collected GI Joes. Yes the retro appeal does have something to do with it, but if it's getting people into GI Joe and excited about the line, does it really matter?

The articulation issues are being worked out, especially the ability to sit (which was addressed by Hasbro ad nauseum in terms of them not planning on making any after the 5 packs) The only other flaw would be their elbows, and if you remember a lot of the VvV, JvC and especially DTC had arm issues as well as trouble holding weapons (too small hands, short arms, ape arms etc).

I for one have not "abandoned" the toy aspect of GI Joe, and neither have most other people collecting these. I'm sure some just put them up for display, but many of us do that anyway with RAH, VVV, AND DTC.

Please don't make assumptions about people and their "toys" simply because you don't care for the direction or sculpt that the "new" Joes are heading in. I'll always love RAH, have been PLAYING with Joes since 84, and really nothing can come close to beating them. But I also appreciate what Hasbro is doing now.

I think that most of us that like them and, correct me if I'm wrong people, know they're not the same exact scale. It would make more sense that people collecting these were pretty much all collecting GI Joe in the first place, except for people new to the GI Joe line. I'm sure the line has drawn some older people in that have never collected GI Joe before, but that should be a good thing. I don't think you can make assumptions that a lot of people collecting these never collected GI Joes. Yes the retro appeal does have something to do with it, but if it's getting people into GI Joe and excited about the line, does it really matter?

The articulation issues are being worked out, especially the ability to sit (which was addressed by Hasbro ad nauseum in terms of them not planning on making any after the 5 packs) The only other flaw would be their elbows, and if you remember a lot of the VvV, JvC and especially DTC had arm issues as well as trouble holding weapons (too small hands, short arms, ape arms etc).

I for one have not "abandoned" the toy aspect of GI Joe, and neither have most other people collecting these. I'm sure some just put them up for display, but many of us do that anyway with RAH, VVV, AND DTC.

Please don't make assumptions about people and their "toys" simply because you don't care for the direction or sculpt that the "new" Joes are heading in. I'll always love RAH, have been PLAYING with Joes since 84, and really nothing can come close to beating them. But I also appreciate what Hasbro is doing now.

Nicely put!

Who cares that they are not the same scale...this is an entirely new line of G.I.joe not a continuation of RAH..which I'm glade it's not...because lets face it....whenever they tried was it ever realy the same?? No matter how much Hasbro tried they could never duplicate the freshness RAH was overtime it came out with another wave. For the most part all we got were bad repaints, same molds used over and over, most of them packaged with either over used weapons or weapons that just didn't fit there "character, same head sculpts but with diffrent names...and the quality of RAH plastic forever gone and replace with something more closer to rubber. You wanna talk about "can't hold weapons", hell most of the RAH look-a-likes hands were in the form of an open hand slap! I love RAH to death and these figures will never replace that line...sure the 25th has flaws but when you compare to JvC, VvV, and DTC's FIRST wave...I think they are off to a much MUCH better start!

I'm not knocking anybody who bought the RAH reissues, repaints, and frankenjoes because hell, I bought them too....mainly because at that time it seemed like that was the best it was gonna get for us. I was settling...but now I feel like I can honestly say I'm buying something that I whole heartly love.

i have to agree with chazz this line is very playable every time i get them out i find i like them more. you gave road block the same gun i did. i just wish i had that many troops

only problem i got with your pics is i dont think duke could get the best of serpentor maybe cobra commander but not serpy

and maddayvass lady jay can sit and i think destro can to

I was a completist back in the day. I even had the Flagg and the space shuttle. My first RAH was Gung-Ho and I thought he was great. I think the new Gung-Ho is even better. I have a bunch of the new ones on my desk at home pretty much all the time and I can't stop looking at them and picking them up and playing with them. Admittedly I haven't tried to put them into vehicles or even have them interact with the Joes in my attic, but they are great on their own. If Hasbro tries to re-boot Marvel legends, I'm stopping that line. If Hasbro wants to reboot Joe with this kind of quality, I am there.

hello everyone, i am new to the threads and I am a huge Joe collector. The 25th anniv figures are the biggest crap money maker for Hasbro. re-selling these figures is not like the transformers classics in which the transformers are modernly updated. this is basically the same figures which are out-of-scale to the originals, that enough is crap. even with all that said I did purchase 3 single carded figures, and both Joe/Cobra box sets. I will be getting the second Cobra box set (because I love Cobra Commander) and Serperntor, I am only getting Serpentor because the original is too short to fight my Sgt. Slaughter, but overall the 25th anniv is a joke

only problem i got with your pics is i dont think duke could get the best of serpentor maybe cobra commander but not serpy

Yea,CC would be my first choice too....using Serpentor was actualy a "stab"at Skrapz @lol@ besides, he was the one with the exposed neck @wink@

But you know, arming these dudes with much more detailed weapons have been part of the fun for me. ^_^ I couldn't do this with my RAH because I wouldn't dare not mix and match there weapons...mainly because 90% had there own very unique weapon and another reason, because it almost felt like blashemy to do so....with the 25th I don't mind changing guns around because I don't have the same nostalgia feeling to these...which in a way it's a good thing..I have te freedom to experimet now #US1#

O.K.

I see some valid points on both ends, so I'm gonna take a crack at it..

First:

As a VvV/DTC collector, I support Pit Viper's stance and agree wholly with what he's said. JvC sucked ass to me though. I'll also admit that some of the character representation was lost for a lofty percentage of the characters released. Hasbro obviously declined to invest on making more new molds, and the frankensteining just got ridiculously tired. BUT the sculpts, articulation, and scale were right on point to me. Especially towards the end. Had they continued and really stepped on the gas to integrate the classic look into them, they would have some really awesome figures.

DTC was on the right track for "modern" renditions of the classic line, which I like AS WELL as the "classic" styles. This is why I suggest they do both themes!

Second:

Who cares that they are not the same scale...this is an entirely new line of G.I.joe not a continuation of RAH..which I'm glade it's not...because lets face it....whenever they tried was it ever realy the same??

I care because I'd like to own classic versions of my guys in an updated sculpt that are compatible with my other JOES. I agree that the figures haven't been consistent over the years and that is precisely the problem. Even if the construction and or sculpt is slightly different (i said "slightly" hasbro, so don't get any funny ideas!), they should at least be the same scale. That's paramount.

I like these 25th guys, but if they dwarf my vehicles, and probably won't even be made long enough for us to get all of the first 4 years of characters, what's the point. I'm not rich enough to use them as wallpaper. I buy figures to play with.

#US1#

I know this wasn't directed to me but I still have to stress the fact that these figures, atleast in my case are bought absolutely for there PLAYABILITY...hell, i'm too poor to buy junk just to look at it @lol@ Yea people keep complaining about the leg stuff but at the con Hasbro said they are gonna absolutely fix this problem..no maybe about it...according to them it's already in the works. How it was explained to us in the con these figures were only meant to be a tribute line and like you put it miniture statues....they had no idea on what they stumbled on to, hence the reason for the lack of back packs.

To say JVC was better then this line is a pretty low blow...I mean c'mon, are we forgetting the invasion of t-crotches? @lol@ I've been collecting since '82 and I think you're wrong to think this line is mainly to attract people who never realy collected ARAH...I think it's just the opposite...I think this line is for the ARAH collector who is satisfied with his RAH collection and has pretty much nothing else to add to his collection.... except for $30 and plus army builders and your occasional vechicle. I think this line is keeping those collectors intrested in buying the same characters again...the same characters but still an entirely new toy. I remember playing with my joes as a kid and having Duke get captured and having to pretend his side arm was taken away and not still molded to his leg...I think it's cool that I know longer have to pretend @wink@

To each their own. While it is cool that you no longer have to pretend sidearms have been removed when a character has been captured you now have to pretend that they can sit down in a chair. I mean if you were playing and wanted Duke to get into a Skystriker do you put the figure in your pocket and pretend he is in the jet? There are some great improvements in this line to be sure but there are also some fundamental flaws. How long did it take you to get Roadblock set up in the picture you took? I personally find it very difficult to get him to hold his machine gun. I couldn't image being a kid and trying to have Roadblock make his way from one end of the back yard to the other without his gun falling out of hand 25 times.

I'd like to add that I don't hate these figures. I own 6 of them right now. Rather it's I do not think they are as great as others do. I preferred the "new sculpt" figures.

I never said that most people didn't like them. I realize that the 25th figures are very popular. As for the scale I know I've seen some people on these boards refer to them as "3 3/4"". But that wasn't my point. My point is that because they are a different scale it means you more or less have to start from scratch again. The Sgt. Savage figures looked pretty cool too but they couldn't work with the existing figures and that is the reason I'm not so hot for those either. I also don't think that I am making assumptions that a lot of people are those that normally didn't collect Joes. We've all seen a lot of new posters on these boards talking about how the 25th line has brought them to G.I. Joe. That is what I was basing my comment on. Your reply to me seems to assume a lot of things about what I was trying to say. I was just giving my 2 cents as to why I'm not so won over by them and why I think other people are giving them a free pass. Would people really be so happy with these things if they had the same construction they have now but were based on the looks and designs from JvC/VvV/DTC? I highly doubt that. It's the classic looks that is buying people over.

I never said that most people didn't like them. I realize that the 25th figures are very popular. As for the scale I know I've seen some people on these boards refer to them as "3 3/4"". But that wasn't my point. My point is that because they are a different scale it means you more or less have to start from scratch again. The Sgt. Savage figures looked pretty cool too but they couldn't work with the existing figures and that is the reason I'm not so hot for those either. I also don't think that I am making assumptions that a lot of people are those that normally didn't collect Joes. We've all seen a lot of new posters on these boards talking about how the 25th line has brought them to G.I. Joe. That is what I was basing my comment on. Your reply to me seems to assume a lot of things about what I was trying to say. I was just giving my 2 cents as to why I'm not so won over by them and why I think other people are giving them a free pass. Would people really be so happy with these things if they had the same construction they have now but were based on the looks and designs from JvC/VvV/DTC? I highly doubt that. It's the classic looks that is buying people over.

Fair enough, and I apologize if I assumed incorrectly the point of what you were trying to say. I definitely agree on the point about the scale difference in terms of fitting the existing vehicles, etc. That is a point of concern for me as well.

I actually would have liked them if they were the same designs from JvC, etc but made in the 25th style. It's not that I don't like the O-ring, it's just that I find I actually like the construction of the 25th.

Again, I didn't mean to come across as slighting you, and sorry if I did. Come to next years convention. I'll buy you a round or two #party#

@popcorn@

I would have to agree with Chazz and GGpike, the line is a continuation of GI JOE and I am content on what they have came out with thus far. Sure I was not happy with the Gung Ho we got, but I have to say that I have been able to incorporate both RAH and 25 anniversary figures on the same display. Granted they are dead RAH figures (green shirts and troppers) ;), I do not see a problem thus far with incorporating my older joes witht he new ones lol. I love the posablilty with the figures and can't wait to get more, like that Blade Destro and some CG's. Again, I will incorporate the RAH & DTC VvsV with my 25th figures, they are my joes and I will do what I want with them. As always, if yoa don't like em, don't buy em ;)

That is my two cents.

@popcorn@

I would have to agree with Chazz and GGpike, the line is a continuation of GI JOE and I am content on what they have came out with thus far. Sure I was not happy with the Gung Ho we got, but I have to say that I have been able to incorporate both RAH and 25 anniversary figures on the same display. Granted they are dead RAH figures (green shirts and troppers) ;) , I do not see a problem thus far with incorporating my older joes witht he new ones lol. I love the posablilty with the figures and can't wait to get more, like that Blade Destro and some CG's. Again, I will incorporate the RAH & DTC VvsV with my 25th figures, they are my joes and I will do what I want with them. As always, if yoa don't like em, don't buy em ;)

That is my two cents.

Nuff said,I agree.

Now the question I have is if they are taking the low road by reproducing the old vehicles and not make new vehicles to accomodate the new figures, will they shrink down the figures to the 3 3/4th rate with slight height differences to fit the vehicles and make the new figures out now null and void, or will they make new vehicles to go with the new figures since they are in talking about making them retooled to sit better. The target exclusives probably will have the retooled waists and/or the vehicles released with this (to test the market) won't need to be reworked for the figures to fit since the seating doesn't have limited seating/height requirements.

While it is cool that you no longer have to pretend sidearms have been removed when a character has been captured you now have to pretend that they can sit down in a chair. I mean if you were playing and wanted Duke to get into a Skystriker do you put the figure in your pocket and pretend he is in the jet? There are some great improvements in this line to be sure but there are also some fundamental flaws. How long did it take you to get Roadblock set up in the picture you took? I personally find it very difficult to get him to hold his machine gun. I couldn't image being a kid and trying to have Roadblock make his way from one end of the back yard to the other without his gun falling out of hand 25 times.

It's funny to me that no matter how much someone says "hasbro is gonna fix the leg problem without a doubt" nobody ever says "oh that's cool, we can stop complaining about that now" @lol@ I mean dude, it's the first wave...what wave 1 of anything since RAH hasn't had any MAJOR flaws? *coughT-crotchcough*

And it was easy as hell setting up Roadbblock for that pic..mainly because of the extra articulation at his ankles...thanks for pointing that out lol! I find them very easily to stand and especialy easier to kneel before cobra then my RAH figures ever could ^_^ Not all RAH figures held there goes snug in there hands..were do you think the infamous broken thumbs came from??? NOTHING is without it's flaws but if your man gripe is them not being able to fit in most (not every) RAH vehicle well I think that falls right under "knit picking" ....especialy when you've been given a guarantee they are gonna fix it. i'm sorry, I just don't see a temporarily set back as a valid argument for hating this line.

And for the record since you brought up how I play with my joes, I am an RAH collector with tons of vechiles, I have no problem finding them something to sit in...but I mainly perfer my Joes to go about it on foot @wink@

As much as I'm enjoying the 25th Anniversary line, I cannot fathom the fact that Hasbro wasn't making this line in the beginning with playability in mind, and they weren't expecting such a positive response and the inevitable demand. I mean, c'mon; you're celebrating the greatest action figure toyline if the modern age, and you don't have playability in mind?! Nuh? I just don't get that part, like Hasbro was caught unawares all of a sudden, and it's like, "Oh hey, these are a hit!! Let's start making more!!" (lol) I have a hard time buying that...

But like I said, I'm enjoying it so far. The line does have it's flaws. Could it be better? In my mind, much. But hey, for what it is, I like it. There much more good about the line than bad.

I like this new line alot. and think there are few flaws, some that were there from the beginning like being abled to hold/pose weapons. The posing is much better now and the fact that you can twist their wrists helps too.

Zartan however should have a sickbag as an accessory and something to fix his lazyeye. After that he is awesome. I kinda had my doubts about firefly using same body mold as beach head, but after getting him off the card last night, he is not a let down, and I think he will be highly sought after like the original.

As much as I'm enjoying the 25th Anniversary line, I cannot fathom the fact that Hasbro wasn't making this line in the beginning with playability in mind, and they weren't expecting such a positive response and the inevitable demand. I mean, c'mon; you're celebrating the greatest action figure toyline if the modern age, and you don't have playability in mind?! Nuh? I just don't get that part, like Hasbro was caught unawares all of a sudden, and it's like, "Oh hey, these are a hit!! Let's start making more!!" (lol) I have a hard time buying that...

But like I said, I'm enjoying it so far. The line does have it's flaws. Could it be better? In my mind, much. But hey, for what it is, I like it. There much more good about the line than bad.

Oh believe it brotha! @lol@ Hence the line being called "25th anniversary" what the hell are they gonna call it next year?? @lol@ They didn't expect to conytinue this line way into 2009 ....it was explained to us that they were meant for the collectors....they didn't think kids would take to this line like fish out of water. Why do you think we had all those gimmicks like "sound attack" and crap at first??? I think they finaly gave up on G.IJoe becomming a hit with kids again and tried to milk the name with the collectors...but if they would have listened to us all alone they would have been riding the cash cow like this line has turned out to be a looong time ago @loll@ Like I said, this was the first time at any con that I felt the collectors were finaly being appreciated. They are not only releasing the box set as single carded with the legs fixed but also giving them holes in there backs for back packs as well...because it's what we freakin' want! #US1#